• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shit Bison can do after EX Blast to Psycho Axe is craaaazy. Off a CC a combo ending with that does like 540 stun, and he can easily keep the pressure afterwards.

New002

Broke through 800 points last night! I know that's super low but after struggling to get into Bronze it feels like a real achievement. There are so many super aggressive players at this level and it can be really frustrating but I'm finding that patience and sticking to fundamentals in the face of some dude spamming combos at me is working. Hoping to rank up again this weekend.

Sweeeeet. Keep it up! I just broke back into Silver myself and am trying to not drop out of it for the millionth time.

stn

Is there any point to me learning Cammy? She's probably my favorite SF character overall and was the first character I ever mained in a fighting game (ST/HDR). Thing is, hit-confirms are not a strength of mine and I play too much ground defense to use a dive kick character properly. I'm better at getting you to jump at me than I am at making a good offensive jump read myself, if that makes sense.

kirblar

Is there any point to me learning Cammy? She's probably my favorite SF character overall and was the first character I ever mained in a fighting game (ST/HDR). Thing is, hit-confirms are not a strength of mine and I play too much ground defense to use a dive kick character properly. I'm better at getting you to jump at me than I am at making a good offensive jump read myself, if that makes sense.
With the DP changes you may want to switch, yeah.

Producer

I've been playing/learning cammy and doing ok, not even doing much divekicks. Buffering is your friend if you suck at hit confirms like me. crMK, sHP are good buttons for it, use those to buffer into spiral arrow and now suddenly you're in their face and no meterless dp means alot of good easy pressure. So yeah shes def worth learning

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I am feasting on the flood of Akuma, but still don't know how to fight the grapplers + Cammy with him.

I am starting to V-Skill Cammy's divekick, that seems to be huge.

They have to deal with you on their wakeup. I just go ham after a knockdown. Only thing i try to be mindful of is keeping a bar to escape corners with ex stomp or to jail them with ex blast if they start getting frisky. He still loses to grapplers imo but its better.

nostalgic-sf2-bison-stage-01.jpg

I need it.

Why would Capcom not put this stage in the game if so much of it is already complete? Seems like a waste. It looks great too. Cammys SF2 castle stage would be my top pick for a remake. Love those Northern Lights.

Femto.

It probably wasn't nearly ready but they showed off the art for this and the nostalgia costumes because at big tournaments and conventions Capcom is expected to show off something for SFV and they probably didn't have anything ready.

Also, they are probably releasing things piecemeal so people have a reason to jump back into SFV every month.

Capcom should really take the Team Ninja route and start putting out costume/stage bundles to rake in the cash much more often.

DoA 5 has had like 4-5 $92 season passes based on costumes alone with a sprinkle of new characters and stages here and there.

They should not go that pricey, but should be more aggressive in frequency.

Zackat

there should be a larger variety of costumes with more price tiers. sell color palettes like crazy with FM/RM. accessories, all that crap. People love that shit, me included. I have a feeling they are working towards accessories with all this being able to take off clothing pieces and such.

We can have scuba diver akumer in SFV one day.

Femto.

there should be a larger variety of costumes with more price tiers. sell color palettes like crazy with FM/RM. accessories, all that crap. People love that shit, me included. I have a feeling they are working towards accessories with all this being able to take off clothing pieces and such.

Yeah variety would be nice too, female characters are getting the most treatment when it comes to costumes. At least right now.

stn

I'm a huge sucker for skins. But they have to be done properly. I prefer skins that fit thematically and aren't comedic in nature. I don't know why Capcom makes crappy skins sometimes with the amount of source material they have. Like, where's the crossover pack featuring Ken as Dante, for example?

Are you trying Casual? I'm guessing most people are still there testing out their characters.

Or the game is dead. Who knows.

On steam, the game has had a significant boost in players since the patch. More peak concurrent users than it's seen in months.

The neatest tech I've seen was Cool Kid's safe stun gun headbutts in the corner, but this is wild looking. I didn't know that the opponent is still in a backwards state even if he blocks the HP chop. Unfortunately it looks terribly unsafe to do when you consider the frame data.

Actually, backdrop in SF5 has nothing to do with a "back state". If you cancel HP chop or Sledgehammer with HCB+P, it will always be backdrop if it grabs them. Even if they're facing you.

It's not like SF3 where you could jump behind someone, do a powerbomb, and it becomes backdrop.

That's all fighting games. I think it would be folly to call fighting games something for the general population.

Well no

DOA is for a specific audience. :p

(It's got the goofy cheesecake stuff, so selling costume DLC for lots of money makes more sense.)

Yep:

Nice boost.

As long as you're not a Mika player, I doubt there's much in this patch to turn you off. It's a solid update. Not many games can have 92 pages of patch notes.

Not as solid as it could/should have been, but SFV's budget clearly isn't that big.

ShinMaruku

SF started the gofy cheese cake with Chun and Cammy just have never gotten to what team ninja has done because they did not invest in making a dlc pipeline. I think SF can do similar and sell nostagia and goofy stuff in SF5 and make a similar profit. Just don't have the pipeline nor the talent.

Femto.

Low stamina character can have issues against heavy hitters. Understand how to approach him. Akuma has the tools.

Matchmaking gave me the runback and I did better the second time, still lost though. Playing Cammy has had me used to low health but given Akuma's slower movement and less health has me being thankful for Cammy's 900 health plus her speed lol

He's so much damn fun though.

I would have bought the Halloween alt for Alex if they'd just removed the wings in the button press variant. I'm not a fan of how they flop around constantly.
On steam, the game has had a significant boost in players since the patch. More peak concurrent users than it's seen in months.

Actually, backdrop in SF5 has nothing to do with a "back state". If you cancel HP chop or Sledgehammer with HCB+P, it will always be backdrop if it grabs them. Even if they're facing you.

It's not like SF3 where you could jump behind someone, do a powerbomb, and it becomes backdrop.
Ah cool

Now I need to try this with sledgehammer and see it happen live with my own two eyes. Would look sick.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Speaking of stages, was there ever a mod to completely remove all the NPC models from the stages? They would all look a million times better without character models.

There was but one of the recent updates broke it. Don't know if the mod was updated.

On mods, PMM was updated with a "Rebuild" tab that converts your existing pak mods to reflect the changes in files since the patch.

Not all of them are 100% functional--for example, my Sexy Mika mod now has a weird line that goes across the screen--but many of them do work perfectly. The No gimmick/No NPC one *should* work I think.

FluxWaveZ

What else could she do in S1?

A semi-viable answer was the clap (which would usually whiff due to its limited range); what Reizo Ryuu said. I usually wouldn't do the micro walk since that would often mean missing the punish, if your reactions weren't on point.

Remember, this is a mid-distance sweep we're talking about, not max range. Characters can generally land a solid combo from this distance.

I would have thought it worked for at least mid distance

Pretty sure it doesn't even then, but I'll try it out. It's an extremely risky maneuver, though, because if you'd miscalculate the range just a bit, you'll eat a huge punish.

Edit: Nope, does not work. You can test it yourself by simply going in training mode and seeing what's up. Choose Mika vs. Ryu, block a point blank sweep and then try to punish with her slide.

Sweeps generally hover around -11 and -12, while Mika's cr.HK has a 12f startup. It's not a sweep punish in any circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom