• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to playing the story mode and god damn that was a bunch of absurd nonsense. I love it! It was exactly the kind of silliness I was hoping for. Hopefully the rumor about a S2 story mode is true, because I'd love to see more of this.

But you could also really see where the game fell flat, visually, in a lot of scenes. Especially when they showed low-polygon background models up close.

FluxWaveZ

Urien has a 8f sMK, it's fast enough.

I thought the issue might then be the range but, testing it right now, you're right: Mika can land the forward variation of the st.MK if she blocks a mid-range sweep.

That's something, at least. Thanks for pointing it out.

FluxWaveZ

Is her sMK VT cancelable?

Nope. The cr.MK does, though, and testing it out with Ryu, it's actually not too bad as a punish attempt in the range I'm talking about. A bit too stubby if it hits a more extended range and won't work against longer range sweeps, which are a bunch of them, but it's something that I'll keep in mind.

leroidys

Anyone else use this technique for cancelling lp into lp + qcf? Want to know if I'm on the right track:

1) double-tap lp, holding it down the second time while starting the movement
2) quickly rock stick for qcf motion
3) release lp

Bizazedo

They have to deal with you on their wakeup. I just go ham after a knockdown. Only thing i try to be mindful of is keeping a bar to escape corners with ex stomp or to jail them with ex blast if they start getting frisky. He still loses to grapplers imo but its better.

What do you do when you go nuts? Psycho Axe is fun, etc., but what kind of sequences?

And I'm going to despise Laura this season (but I agree with you, I always felt our Lord Bison lost to Grapplers).

Still feel he's favored against Akuma atm, but again, still early so not valid yet. And granted I haven't seen any Akuma do nasty stuff like Alioune above in that clip, even the high diamonds. Dear god.

Birdie EX Bull Head (V-Trigger)

Active from about frame 15.
Armour from frame 1 to about 21.
Goes pretty much full screen.
-2 on block.

giphy.gif

SmokeMaxX

Birdie EX Bull Head (V-Trigger)

Active from about frame 15.
Armour from frame 1 to about 21.
Goes pretty much full screen.
-2 on block.

Meh. Super derp. As a Birdie player, I'll use it but it's not what I wanted. I wanted improved normals. Instead, my st and cr mk are slowed down and my primary anti-air was weakened.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Some good streams going on right now.
Valle streaming Juri, playing against PR Balrog who's playing Balrog and streaming, too. Also KBrad, Sabin and Sajam. Good stuff.

Oh and there is some very reproducable slowdown now if you restart while doing trials. Like every third restart gives you some heavy slowdown in the next couple of seconds.

jett

D-Member
What the hell is wrong with this game? Can't even handle a small influx of players? It's all fucked for me right now, matchmaking and lobbies.

Marvel

could never
Only issue I get atm is failed to send data after games, bit of lag and upon turning on mm in the lab really bad slowdown for like a minute.

Kalentan

So maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there... But I was fighting a Urien and I won the first game pretty easily and then I decide to fight him again and then suddenly he's lagging all around the screen and I'm barely able to even keep up as he just pummels me down. Is lag switching a thing in this? He was on PC.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god I get why Balrog is so good now. Turnaround punch is amazing now. And it's 0 or + if you charge it even a little, so you just have to eat that.

So maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there... But I was fighting a Urien and I won the first game pretty easily and then I decide to fight him again and then suddenly he's lagging all around the screen and I'm barely able to even keep up as he just pummels me down. Is lag switching a thing in this? He was on PC.
There is a weird thing on PC that if you have a laggy first round and you alt-tab in and out you will be fine the next round and your opponent will have the lag. I don't think they ever fixed that.

OsirisBlack

Banned
My absolutely favorite gimmick in the game is, after ending a combo in mp inferno, doing empty lk scissors and then hold v skill to chuck a fireball point blank in their grill. Can follow it up with super in the corner. Mid screen pretty much anything. Works on both neutral and back tech and will beat 3f buttons. It's a bit of a risk but then a good gimmick is. When it works you can physically see their souls leave through their characters.

Edit. - If this doesn't put a smile on every Bipson player's face, I don't know what will.

Running some couch games with some buddies and your empty lk scissors into fireball has worked 90% of the time shit is hilarious. Oh and damn at that comeback.

Kalentan

There is a weird thing on PC that if you have a laggy first round and you alt-tab in and out you will be fine the next round and your opponent will have the lag. I don't think they ever fixed that.

That's probably it. Cause they were like off the walls the next round but seemed to have no issues themselves pulling off combos.

Also any tips for going against Zangief? Despite him being one of the biggest characters, I find myself not able to hit him most of the time.

Edzi

Who would you guys say is the most honest character currently who's also good? Someone who doesn't rely on gimmicks and has a solid neutral/footsie game.

Game ran amazing for me tonight. No disconnects at all, hardly any laggy matches and no long wait times. Still some odd moments of stutter on the xmas map. Dont know why.

Bumped my rank from super bronze to ultra bronze to get a few more silvers and ultra bronzes in casual match making. Had 18 straight games won, 6 drinks deep, so thought it was time. I think ultra bronze and casual is the sweet spot for me right now.

I really like the changes to guile and Laura. They still play mostly the same but just feel more even than before against certain match ups. Just trying to remember not to do the old combos is the hard part. I will get there in time though.

Who would you guys say is the most honest character currently who's also good? Someone who doesn't rely on gimmicks and has a solid neutral/footsie game.
Guile would be my answer. But really, I don't think people should care about whats honest. Its very subjective. Just play who you enjoy the most. All characters can use 50/50's and gimmicks when needed. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh god I get why Balrog is so good now. Turnaround punch is amazing now. And it's 0 or + if you charge it even a little, so you just have to eat that.

Well that explains why I was getting counter hit like crazy after blocking TAP's yesterday. With 26f of start up I should be able to react to it with a parry at least if I'm looking for it at a good distance. Which still won't be easy for me :(

SephLuis

Chun Li now gets VT bar for every hit after the vskill. I was trying a few quite simple setups and got quite a lot of bar:

vskill > hp (two hits) > vskill > d.mk (three hits) - around 60-70% of a single VT bar

Using ex legs at the end and it goes up to 80% of a single bar.

Need to check if there aren't better combos with vskill, but using it properly may guarantee VT activation twice in a single round.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well that explains why I was getting counter hit like crazy after blocking TAP's yesterday. With 26f of start up I should be able to react to it with a parry at least if I'm looking for it at a good distance. Which still won't be easy for me :(
Watch PR Balrog's stream, he's always holding lp+lk. He doesn't need to tech either, he just releases TAP to beat throws. And he still has enough buttons for any other situation. It's so good.

Pompadour

Watch PR Balrog's stream, he's always holding lp+lk. He doesn't need to tech either, he just releases TAP to beat throws. And he still has enough buttons for any other situation. It's so good.

That's very smart. Plus, those are definitely Balrog's worst buttons.

Renekton

He just erased Valle Juri's health in one combo. So fun to watch him roll.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What do you do when you go nuts? Psycho Axe is fun, etc., but what kind of sequences?

And I'm going to despise Laura this season (but I agree with you, I always felt our Lord Bison lost to Grapplers).

Still feel he's favored against Akuma atm, but again, still early so not valid yet. And granted I haven't seen any Akuma do nasty stuff like Alioune above in that clip, even the high diamonds. Dear god.

Early in the round it's straight disrespect city. Double roundhouses and as many tick throws as I can get away with. When they start catching on I go to frame trap sequences that will leave me spaced out if they block, so something like st lp cr mp st lk xx jab blast, or st lk st lp cr mk xx lk scissors (not a great frame trap but cr mk xx lk scissors will stuff of whiff punish most buttons and leave you in a good position) st lk st lp cr mp st hp xx hp blast can be useful if used sparsely. If I have bars to spend it's worth it going for st hk cr mp xx ex scissors st lp cr mp xx lk scissors or hp blast just to push them into the corner and get them to lose patience and start taking some risks (and hopefully running into a psycho axe or an ex blast). With Laura in particular I'm having moderate success using v skill against her fireball mixups but i don't know how that will pan out in the long run though.

Man Balrog does too much damage, every one got damage nerf but him, all buffs, to match one of his effortless damage combo, you gotta V-trigger and burn 2 bars or even use CA... Capcom needs to revisit this update in a month or 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom