• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGs. Have any advice for me? I felt like I couldn't do anything 80% of the time, and when I had a chance, you knew exactly what I was going to try next.

Mashing jab never worked out, but I still kept doing it because I felt like I was screwed even if I just blocked anyways.

You played it really well lol so I don't really know what to say. We both put each other in a few 50/50 situations but Laura's hurts a lot more. I also don't have to stress as much in neutral because I know I won't lose instantly after getting clapped. You were adjusting to my adjustments most of the time. I was trying to jump out the corner with j.HK and you'd purposely make space so you can punish but trying to punish me while landing only worked like 30% of the time. When I did get in the corner it was mostly over though.

I was trying to focus on punishing the st.HK as much as I could and I could only do it like 20% of the time because the risk reward wasn't in my favour. Sometimes my button would recover a frame or two early then punished. So I just started countering it with st.HP and that worked out. I think the adjustment they made to Laura's cr.MK makes it that I can't low profile the dropkick as easy as before, I was getting kicked for trying most of the time.

mbpm1

tumblr_oipynareYT1usrgjso1_540.gif

FluxWaveZ

I was trying to focus on punishing the st.HK as much as I could and I could only do it like 20% of the time because the risk reward wasn't in my favour. Sometimes my button would recover a frame or two early then punished. So I just started countering it with st.HP and that worked out. I think the adjustment they made to Laura's cr.MK makes it that I can't low profile the dropkick as easy as before, I was getting kicked for trying most of the time.

Yeah, you started hitting me out of the drop kick relatively consistently with st.HP near the end, which made me hesitate using it a bit.

Man, it was a 5/5 MU before, but now it might actually be in Laura's advantage. It's gonna really come down to proper reads; gotta learn to mind read better and mix things up.

I should use V-Reversal more; you were doing that a lot to get Mika off of you. It's also a small victory for me when I can force you to do that, because Laura in V-Trigger is extremely scary.

Yeah, you started hitting me out of the drop kick relatively consistently with st.HP near the end, which made me hesitate using it a bit.

Man, it was a 5/5 MU before, but now it might actually be in Laura's advantage. It's gonna really come down to proper reads; gotta learn to mind read better and mix things up.

I don't know if I'd say it was 5/5 before because of the insta wash Laura would receive before for any mistakes or for eating a random clap into ggs. Mika's neutral game is a bit worse without the clap now and I don't fear V-Reversal as much anymore because she doesn't get too much off of it now. Before her V-Reversal was easily the best in the game lol.

I also started tried to get you to use up your V bar to avoid getting cr.HP -> V-Trigger mixup. The nerf they did to her wingless airplane makes the setup a lot easier to block though lol

FluxWaveZ

I don't know if I'd say it was 5/5 before because of the insta wash Laura would receive before for any mistakes or for eating a random clap into ggs. Mika's neutral game is a bit worse without the clap now and I don't fear V-Reversal as much anymore because she doesn't get too much off of it now. Before her V-Reversal was easily the best in the game lol.

I also started tried to get you to use up your V bar to avoid getting cr.HP -> V-Trigger mixup. The nerf they did to her wingless airplane makes the setup a lot easier to block though lol

Hm, maybe, but Laura was still pretty volatile before. It's true, though, there were certain ranges that Mika could dominate in neutral because of the clap. Now, though, I feel like the advantage is Laura's at all ranges, which is why I'm having to rely on the "drop kick and pray" manoeuvre way more than I had to before.

And, damn, you just reminded me why my nifty cr.HP xx V-Trigger > Wingless Airplane mix-up has stopped working as much as it was before. The proximity block nerf is real, I was wondering why Nadeshiko kept missing now.

Well, this sucks. The cr.HP xx V-Trigger move won't be scary anymore, because all Mika can do is either do a cr.LK follow-up or attempt a command grab. I guess creating a near guaranteed command grab situation is nice, but in exchange for 2 bars? Ugh.

Hm, maybe, but Laura was still pretty volatile before. It's true, though, there were certain ranges that Mika could dominate in neutral because of the clap. Now, though, I feel like the advantage is Laura's at all ranges, which is why I'm having to rely on the "drop kick and pray" manoeuvre way more than I had to before.

And, damn, you just reminded me why my nifty cr.HP xx V-Trigger > Wingless Airplane mix-up has stopped working as much as it was before. The proximity block nerf is real, I was wondering why Nadeshiko kept missing now.

Well, this sucks. The cr.HP xx V-Trigger move won't be scary anymore, because all Mika can do is either do a cr.LK follow-up or attempt a command grab. I guess creating a near guaranteed command grab situation is nice, but in exchange for 2 bars? Ugh.

I'm not sure why an anti air grab put the opposing character in proximity guard in the first place but yea it is a bit easier to deal with. I also don't have to worry about what range you do cr.HP because it's always negative so it should be my turn if you throw it out.

How + is she after Irish whip - ex peach - dash?

Did all that. And reinstalled drivers. And disabled my other monitor. And removed USB devices. Get your fucking shit together Capcom. The only thing that has changed on my computer since uninstalling, aside from maybe windows/mse updates, is a new gpu, and I don't see any reason for that to be the issue if every other game (including other UE titles) works fine

It's a stretch but, maybe it's because the servers are down right now? Since you reinstalled, it could be that it's trying to do first-time setup stuff to match your Steam account with your Capcom SFV account, and failing to desktop? I'm not totally sure about that though.

SephLuis

Today was the first day where I got to try Juri S2.

Her footies seem a litte better. Good range too. Very SF like.

Then when it's time to combo: ITS MAHVEL TIME

Her combos are pure juggles and are quite complicated.

Just tried playing online and I couldn't do it no matter how many times I attempted. Saw that Count was online and messaged him asking him about it. Apparently he's too hollywood for little ol' me now. But I see now that everybody else is having the same issue as well. Well Bah Humbug to you to Capcom.

Edzi

Just tried playing online and I couldn't do it no matter how many times I attempted. Saw that Count was online and messaged him asking him about it. Apparently he's too hollywood for little ol' me now. But I see now that everybody else is having the same issue as well. Well Bah Humbug to you to Capcom.

Lol, are you seriously getting upset because Count didn't respond to you immediately? Anyway, apparently the servers are down according to Capcoms Japanese Twitter. The English Twitter hasn't said anything as far as I'm aware.

Edzi

Do any of you pop into r/kappa? I see posts from there from time to time and I've always wondered something: is the utter vitriol toward SFV there legit or mostly an act? And if it's real, is that actually indicative of the FGC opinion?

spk

Rebooted several times yea. Will try disabling the overlay but I doubt it'll do anything. The game isn't even loading to anything, the exe is just appearing then disappearing from memory

Yeah even reformatting doesn't fix it. Cool

Wallach

Do any of you pop into r/kappa? I've always wondered something: is the utter vitriol toward SFV there legit or mostly an act? And if it's real, is that actually indicative of the FGC opinion?

r/kappa's indicative more of reddit/twitch than anything

Do any of you pop into r/kappa? I see posts from there from time to time and I've always wondered something: is the utter vitriol toward SFV there legit or mostly an act? And if it's real, is that actually indicative of the FGC opinion?

If the FGC hated SFV as much as they want it to be trashed on, it wouldn't be pulling in good numbers for streams and nobody would be playing it. Yet here we are.

Even 4chan is more even on SFV than kappa lol

Producer

I'd say its mostly circlejerk/hivemind mentality at this point. Its a cool place otherwise and i'd bet more people lurk there than we think

kirblar

At high levels SFV is great. At low levels (tournament wise) it's kinda leaving a lot to be desired right now from a viewer's perspective? The whole "only 1/3 the roster is really viable" thing is a big damper after USFIV's godlike final pass.

At high levels SFV is great. At low levels (tournament wise) it's kinda leaving a lot to be desired right now from a viewer's perspective? The whole "only 1/3 the roster is really viable" thing is a big damper after USFIV's godlike final pass.

Depends on when they watch. I mean, the CPTs had decent amounts of variation. And as for top 8s it was Karin, Ryu, Chun, Ken, Mika, Guile, Nec, and Cammy with special guests Nash, Rashid once, Sim, and FANG a few times. That's pretty good even if the top tiers are most constant.

Below top 8 everyone played everyone . Just like in all fighters.

NLBC/WNF were still pretty good though- something's missing right now (and it's not on the stream quality, it's good right now for both.)

Well you aren't exactly casual, so watching casual players isn't all that exciting because you probably like watching pros. You learn from them, as opposed to some literally whos that drop simple combos and play like Bronzes.

Like, the more you know about the game, the less you wanna see people mashing around. That's why I can watch two of my friends smash their heads on a controller playing Tekken and it's fine because I don't get that game at all (yet!), but I imagine watching it is fucking awful for veterans and players.

Edit: You know what? Actually SFV lacks some real bullshit moments to abuse and I miss people just doing dirty ass things that are borderline cheap. Like Sagat Vs anyone in SF4 was hilarious because of how stupid he was.

I'm determined to learn the parry demon, because it'll be such a powerful tool. I might even need to change my button config for the first time in 3 years, but it's worth it.

Lol, are you seriously getting upset because Count didn't respond to you immediately?

Bruh, it was a joke about how he has gotten some good results last year and mentioned on Red Bull or some Esport sites. Count understood that when he responded back to me.

kirblar

Well you aren't exactly casual, so watching casual players isn't all that exciting because you probably like watching pros. You learn from them, as opposed to some literally whos that drop simple combos and play like Bronzes.

Like, the more you know about the game, the less you wanna see people mashing around. That's why I can watch two of my friends smash their heads on a controller playing Tekken and it's fine because I don't get that game at all (yet!), but I imagine watching it is fucking awful for veterans and players.

Edit: You know what? Actually SFV lacks some real bullshit moments to abuse and I miss people just doing dirty ass things that are borderline cheap. Like Sagat Vs anyone in SF4 was hilarious because of how stupid he was.
El Fuerte becoming a real character in USFIV was super hype. (And he was totally BS-y.)

They need more of both - more (viable) characters, and more craziness. Game's lacking both right now.

El Fuerte becoming a real character in USFIV was super hype. (And he was totally BS-y.)

They need more of both - more (viable) characters, and more craziness. Game's lacking both right now.

I disagree about the viable characters. You saw almost everyone sans the DLC characters that weren't Guile up to Top 16s. That variance is around SF4's levels tbh. And now with update, you'll probably see the remaining DLC characters. Top 8s will probably get more variance too from that since things are a lot more equal across the board.

What SFV needed IMO was the buffing of the v-skills. Like oh man did this dude just parry that shit from Ryu rarely happened, and now people are going to look into using that instead of putting it on the wayside. From that, we'll see more juggle combos and more varied playstyles.

But I do want more crazy characters. Brand new dudes is a good chance for that to happen! Just not El. He was horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom