• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

You are Alex. You are free.

I thought you were talking about anti airs though, what does being + on block have to do with that?
Yeah sorry wasn't thinking that through. On the plus side I'm getting really good at mindlessly blocking with the new Alex.

TheOGB

Banned
jesus christ, why he do them like that
4tCIK.gif

Speaking of Alex, does anyone have advice for high angle jump ins like Karin? Jab doesn't seem to catch it anymore, and neither cr hp or his dp catch anything that close.

I find Karin's jump ins to be really easy to AA with cr. HP. Her jump arc isn't particularly fast. Be alert, react as early as possible.

The only problem I have is when she's jumping from really close (cross up range). But, that's part of the game. You have to be mindful of where you're standing relative to her at all times (not just with Alex, but in general).

Dance on that "safe for her to jump / NOT safe for her to jump" line and try to bait her into THINKING she's jumping from the safe distance. Then cr.HP (BTW, you can adjust the distance Alex moves during his cr.HP a little bit by holding forward/back during it)

It's a common misconception that "having good AA" means being able to anti-air all angles at all times. That's not true. St.lp AA's in season one made people think that...but that's not how it is most of the time. Anti-airing is interactive, not static.

Alex has great anti-airs that lead to nice oki...but they won't do all the work for you. Gotta be mindful of your spacing. And, when all else fails, jump back lp, lk, or mp air to air is also an option (just make sure you don't have a charge, or you'll accidentally do headbutt/stomp)

This is an excellent demonstration of how throw loops have been nerfed in S2. They're still possible sometimes...but the damage and stun aren't as threatening as they were S1.

But, i gotta say...after the 2nd or 3rd throw, DON'T QUICK RISE. Please. Throw off their timing, at the very least.

leroidys

I find Karin's jump ins to be really easy to AA with cr. HP. Her jump arc isn't particularly fast. Be alert, react as early as possible.

The only problem I have is when she's jumping from really close (cross up range). But, that's part of the game. You have to be mindful of where you're standing relative to her at all times (not just with Alex, but in general).

Dance on that "safe for her to jump / NOT safe for her to jump" line and try to bait her into THINKING she's jumping from the safe distance. Then cr.HP (BTW, you can adjust the distance Alex moves during his cr.HP a little bit by holding forward/back during it)

It's a common misconception that "having good AA" means being able to anti-air all angles at all times. That's not true. St.lp AA's in season one made people think that...but that's not how it is most of the time. Anti-airing is interactive, not static.

Alex has great anti-airs that lead to nice oki...but they won't do all the work for you. Gotta be mindful of your spacing. And, when all else fails, jump back lp, lk, or mp air to air is also an option (just make sure you don't have a charge, or you'll accidentally do headbutt/stomp)

This is an excellent demonstration of how throw loops have been nerfed in S2. They're still possible sometimes...but the damage and stun aren't as threatening as they were S1.

But, i gotta say...after the 2nd or 3rd throw, DON'T QUICK RISE. Please. Throw off their timing, at the very least.
Cool, thanks for writing all this up. I'm starting to think that my big problem is just losing neutral so easily (even worse now with slower cr mp and s mk). Karin in the corner just jumps in for free on me over and over. Baiting jumps when I'm ready to handle them is a good idea.

joe2187

Banned
I need a primer for Luara season 2 for laura newbies.

I wish capcom released character specific videos detailing the changes and the new character options, kind of like they did for the pre-release character intros.

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227195904]I play Nash.[/QUOTE]

Nash was better off than Alex before the patch. I'm sure he's still better than him too.

FluxWaveZ

You got a new target combo, why are you complaining?

Kappa

Shooting Star is something that makes me think they didn't quite know what to do with Mika and that they regret her entire existence in SFV. It's very close to a useless new tool they gave her because they didn't want it to seem like they were just nerfing her into the ground.

jett

D-Member
Shooting Star is something that makes me think they didn't quite know what to do with Mika and that they regret her entire existence in SFV. It's very close to a useless new tool they gave her because they didn't want it to seem like they were just nerfing her into the ground.

It really is the most useless thing. Mika's a pretty terrible character outside the corner now, but the corner is all about guessing for every single character in this game anyway.

FluxWaveZ

It's for 2 things:

1. The kind of combo you see in that video: calling out a DP (and being in the right situation and with the right timing to call Nadeshiko before the opponent lands) and leading into a CC Lady Mika combo that does ~30 more damage than the usual one.

2. Going for a cute mixup after a CC Lady Mika if you don't have any meter.

It's something, but also kinda nothing. I'll have to learn #1 for optimized, situational combos, though.

RK9039

Man the DS4 is such a garbage controller, my one has this problem where the dpad is basically stuck on down. Found out the hard way when I realized I couldn't jump, my character is literally stuck there just crouching as if he's charging - but he's not a charge character! It was a fairly new DS4 as well.

Time to get another 360 pad.

They buffed Balrog's v-skill didn't they? I can no longer react to the dash punch mixups. -_-
Balrog's dash punches in general are ringing alarm bells in my head right now. I'm surprised they aren't making more waves in everyone's consciousness. This stuff isn't just great against fireball characters. I hope it's me just going through a phase because countering him feels almost beyond normal human reaction levels and his safety is so ridiculous that he makes Cammy look more unsafe than Alex lol. I'm seriously hoping that they'll be sprinkling buffs across the less well off parts of the cast all throughout July and February or we get two balance patches a year instead of one because the future of this game's online landscape looks as bleak as season one's to me.

FluxWaveZ

Balrog's dash punches in general are ringing alarm bells in my head right now. I'm surprised they aren't making more waves in everyone's consciousness. This stuff isn't just great against fireball characters. I hope it's me just going through a phase because countering him feels almost beyond normal human reaction levels and his safety is so ridiculous that he makes Cammy look more unsafe than Alex lol. I'm seriously hoping that they'll be sprinkling buffs across the less well off parts of the cast all throughout July and February or we get two balance patches a year instead of one because the future of this game's online landscape looks as bleak as season one's to me.

You just need to neutral jump.

And no, they didn't do anything to Balrog's V-Skill except for what is outlined in the notes, which are some good buffs. Doesn't make it any harder to react to than it was in S1.

You'll be seeing more V-Skill cancels from the EX Dash Punch, though, since they increased the V-Skill cancel window for that move.

KingBroly

Banned
So I'm reading that if the game gives you a 'failed to retrieve data from the server' message you'll lose your good standing status/icon.

Anyone else notice this?

mbpm1

And no, they didn't do anything to Balrog's V-Skill except for what is outlined in the notes, which are some good buffs. Doesn't make it any harder to react to than it was in S1.

You'll be seeing more V-Skill cancels from the EX Dash Punch, though, since they increased the V-Skill cancel window for that move.

If you neutral jump you can just eat his dash dp punches now tho

If you neutral jump you can just eat his dash dp punches now tho
Yep, now at least opponents can't mindlessly neutral jump at long range.
This exchange reminds me of a deescalation tactic a bully would present to the bullied only for the latter to realize that this different tactic still won't stop him from being stuffed in a locker and it was just to give him false hope for laughs.

FluxWaveZ

This exchange sounds like something a bully would say to the bullied only for the latter to realize that this different tactic still won't stop him from being stuffed in a locker.

Haha, I just mean that that's still a viable counter to dash punches. A good neutral jump and a bad dash punch is bad times for Balrog. You actually won't see PR Rog or Smug rely on them too much because of that.

RK9039

So I'm reading that if the game gives you a 'failed to retrieve data from the server' message you'll lose your good standing status/icon.

Anyone else notice this?

No, I've had that happen to me since the update and I still have the good player icon. Maybe it needs to happen a lot?

Balrog and Guile got the nut buffs. They're right up there with Cammy now. What flux is missing is that Balrog has godlike neutral jump punishes on reaction now with his new dp motion on the screw upper. So the old anti rog random neutral jumps don't work as well.

Nash was better off than Alex before the patch. I'm sure he's still better than him too.
Alex is better than Nash now.

mbpm1

dash punches are not guaranteed jumps either depending on timing. Plenty of times you can jump up, have rog whiff under you, and just be hitting his block

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Haha Urien's a huge fucking asshole now, no question. Just ran into a few online. Luckily, he's one of my mains once I get Akuma out of my system.

mooncakes

lost about 500lp and reverted to super gold. Feelsbadman

I wish I kinda played more during the s1 patch so I can derp with Mika to get plat. I always get booted out of lobbies when they see the rank.

Femto.

Taking so many Ls today with Akuma.

Getting better on my meaties though.

I always get booted out of lobbies when they see the rank.

That's so lame, I've beaten Mikas higher ranked than I, I am silver, during season one. Yeah she was crazy cheap but people just need to learn to not get hit.

RM8

Akuma is freaking scary :( The damage is insane. At least I'll learn the MU quite well since he's so popular, lol.

Wallach

What happened? Is he getting bodied? I'm curious what he thinks of S2 Alex.

don't understand him but yeah he's gotten bopped by a balrog, a urien, a cammy, and now a rashid since tuning in

edit - well he managed to scrape past a birdie at least, that's something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom