• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

Hi everyone. Pondering jumping into SF5, but the few people I played SF4 with aren't ready to commit to buying the game yet. I've got a few questions, mostly about community to help contradict this factor, that some of you could maybe help answer.

I'm a very low level player when it comes to fighters in general. Know a little bit more about SF4. Is the matchmaking only populated with high end people or would I be able to use it and have a back and forth match (even if I stay "bronze" forever)?

About the community here, do you guys have a discord channel or some other means of grouping up? Are people regionally well distributed or is it very US/Americas centric? Thinking if I could find people to lobby with decent pings to me.

Thanks for reading.

Seems like low level is still well populated. There are are also a lot of people outside of US here as well.

Hi everyone. Pondering jumping into SF5, but the few people I played SF4 with aren't ready to commit to buying the game yet. I've got a few questions, mostly about community to help contradict this factor, that some of you could maybe help answer.

I'm a very low level player when it comes to fighters in general. Know a little bit more about SF4. Is the matchmaking only populated with high end people or would I be able to use it and have a back and forth match (even if I stay "bronze" forever)?

About the community here, do you guys have a discord channel or some other means of grouping up? Are people regionally well distributed or is it very US/Americas centric? Thinking if I could find people to lobby with decent pings to me.

Thanks for reading.

There are plenty of people in rookie/bronze

There's no discord that I know of, we just use this thread.

f754sbsitv5y.jpg

That didn't take long.

Thanks for reading.

Right now is probably a pretty good time to get started. There has been a big influx of players recently, thanks to Capcom releasing Akuma and the Season 2 balance patch, so there should be many more people for you to play against. I cannot speak to the game being regionally well distributed, but I've had no problem finding matches in the EU.

There is a general fighting game discord, which you can find in the FGC OT, but it is not super active in my experience.

xptoxyz

Seems like low level is still well populated. There are are also a lot of people outside of US here as well.

There are plenty of people in rookie/bronze

There's no discord that I know of, we just use this thread.

Thanks both. Do you feel that there are a lot of people in low ranks that really should be there or as some times happens a result of bad distribution (I'm thinking of other game's match makings in which the "bell curve" is on the low side). I don't mind losing if I'm obviously worse, but getting bodied without chance to react feels a bit more demoralising than a gradual beat down :p

edit:

Ucchedavāda;227219588 said:
Right now is probably a pretty good time to get started. There has been a big influx of players recently, thanks to Capcom releasing Akuma and the Season 2 balance patch, so there should be many more people for you to play against. I cannot speak to the game being regionally well distributed, but I've had no problem finding matches in the EU.

There is a general fighting game discord, which you can find in the FGC OT, but it is not super active in my experience.

Thank you as well for the input.

myco666

Thanks for reading.

There should be bunch of bronze players still. It is pretty america centric game but I bet you can find matches easily.

Ucchedavāda;227219076 said:
It's probably just a temporary setback. I'm sure that the Ryu army will be back.

I hope thats not the case and Akuma army replaces Ryu army forever.

What was Nash's v-reversal like in S1? I thought that thing was really good and made for a free getaway even if the opponent read it right? To me it just looks like its been made punishable if the opponent makes the correct read.

He telaports further away in S1. He can be thrown in the start of the activation. Like i said in the other thread, Capcom probably doesn't know what the s2 changes do.Speaking of v-reversal, how is "Backflip into a corner and still be safe" Vega?

LoveCake

Just gone in for a quick blast and noticed in the shop that the Santa outfits pack is £14.99!! :O the 2017 Season Pass for seven characters is another £24.99 o_O

There isn't enough in the game to keep me playing to get the fight cash to buy the other stages etc, the original game cost me (cannot remember exactly) £35-40 then there was the 2016 pass which was £25, for a service shouldn't it have been £35-40 inclusive for 2016?

I have just downloaded the main story mode/thing so will give that a go over this week.

myco666

Ucchedavāda;227219910 said:
Call me crazy, but I actually like the Ryu matchup.
Though that's not to say that I wouldn't mind a more even distribution of characters online, where about 1/4 people I meet in Ranked play Ryu.

Oh there is nothing wrong with the matchup. I am just tired of it.

Kashiwaba

Thanks for reading.

There is two discord servers for SFV this one of them and they are both very active with many online weeklies.

https://discord.gg/nApgm

ElFly

idk that was the only picture that was released by the creator.

NGL, Mika looking like a giant in the selection screen bother me more than any amount of clipping

edit: at least on the selection screen. it'd have been easy to design around this by just not letting people extend to the other half of the screen. clipping actually bothers me more on actual gameplay, but I get that it is a hard problem, whereas 'people not looking giant due to wonky perspective' is easily solved

Does anyone have advice on how to practice Urien's f.mp->dangerous headbutt? Does it have to be the MP version of headbutt when u do it? I'm currently playing on stick and am having trouble linking this, and I need it for a aegis reset I want to land.

Torry

Neo Member
there is some slight rollback on my end. my Hits connecting and then all of a sudden im in your combo.

it doesnt happen to often though

That's good atleast. Sometime a surprise super come from you when I think you just blocked my C.mp :p
You're tonnes better than me in the usage of V-skill and V-trigger. I always forget about them.

joe2187

Banned
That's good atleast. Sometime a surprise super come from you when I think you just blocked my C.mp :p
You're tonnes better than me in the usage of V-skill and V-trigger. I always forget about them.

I dont know how to use Ibuki other than her target combo, and even then I fuck that up

Torry

Neo Member
I dont know how to use Ibuki other than her target combo, and even then I fuck that up

Her lp, mp, hp target combo doesnt have much range to start with. So it's difficult to start sometimes

St.mk into st.mp, then cancel into H.Kazegiri is nice damage and not too difficult to confirm into. And I really like to use st.mp into forward mk as you see ;). The overhead can combo into the Gogasha target combo for some nice mixups-

This may be a dumb question, so I apologize for my ignorance before hand. What are the chances that the Halloween DLC hits again next year? I completely missed out on getting the outfits and stage before they went off the market. It's a shot in the dark, but I figured I'd ask. :)

joe2187

Banned
This may be a dumb question, so I apologize for my ignorance before hand. What are the chances that the Halloween DLC hits again next year? I completely missed out on getting the outfits and stage before they went off the market. It's a shot in the dark, but I figured I'd ask. :)

100%

You only had 5 halloween costumes, so you'll see the return of those + 5 more or the rest of the cast hopefully

Pompadour

We don't know yet but I bet it returns.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I just picked up SFV on steam and was wondering, is there anyway to disable motion blur?
Motion blur is affected by the post processing settings in graphics options. The two highest settings include it, so the one just below that will disable it. You can disable just motion blur by editing an .ini. The will leave the rest of the post processing intact though I couldn't tell you what the specific effects are.

Edit: here's a link
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...to_adjust_the_individual_postprocess_options/

Torry

Neo Member
ST MK and ST MP are her go to starters right? Im not used to her buttons and keep hitting F HP

Yeah, correct. I used a long time remembering her buttons. Still have difficulty using b.mp as AA. How long since you since you started maining her?

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, correct. I used a long time remembering her buttons. Still have difficulty using b.mp as AA. How long since you since you started maining her?

I havent even started, I mained Ibuki in SFIV and she's a whole different beast in SFV. Shes a completely different character.

I just tried yesterdayu

Skilletor

Ibuki is probably the character old fans are the least happy. Atleast that's my impression.

I still hate her in this game. Honestly killed a lot of the excitement I had in general for the game. Still love it, but Ibuki is by far my favorite SF character and this iteration plays nothing like her until you have vtrig.

Anyway, anybody trying to fight my scrubby Akuma?

Torry

Neo Member
Ibuki is probably the character old fans are the least happy. Atleast that's my impression.

Then I'm one of the few that like her incarnation here :p I really didn't feel her in SF4, but that was more due to not feeling the game. Love how they removed the vortex stuff, but I really liked the neckgrab special.

Torry

Neo Member
I havent even started, I mained Ibuki in SFIV and she's a whole different beast in SFV. Shes a completely different character.

I just tried yesterdayu

You have the best picture of her in the avatar though! She's all about getting in and tricking it up. You seem to be getting a hang of her specials now

Edit:

Have work tomorrow so gotta head to bed before its too late. Thanks for playing with me. Was really nice playing a fellow gaffer, not least a fellow Ibuki. I will write down some tips now after I eat. We gotta do this again sometime..

joe2187

Banned
You have the best picture of her in the avatar though! She's all about getting in and tricking it up. You seem to be getting a hang of her specials now

Edit:

Have work tomorrow so gotta head to bed before its too late. Thanks for playing with me. Was really nice playing a fellow gaffer, not least a fellow Ibuki. I will write down some tips now after I eat. We gotta do this again sometime..

Thanks again man, was fun playing. Gotta learn her some more. I've got so much work to do with her.

tfw your Day 2 Birdie takes a W on both a Sliver and a Gold.

Fuck man I might need to pick up this Birdie.

Edit I don't know why my phone put "on the real". I need to lye down

xptoxyz

So.. I took the plunge on PC. Is the game supposed to "freeze" a bit on last hit even when not a super/special move?

Also just got a weird memory error, wasn't a crash but after closing the game.

So.. I took the plunge on PC. Is the game supposed to "freeze" a bit on last hit even when not a super/special move?

Also just got a weird memory error, wasn't a crash but after closing the game.

That freeze happens regularly in offline modes (for whatever reason), and I occasionally get the same crash on shutdown, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. So yeah, that's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom