• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

Alex's dash elbow is useless now. Unless spaced absolutely perfectly, it seems like most of the cast can punish it with a combo now. This seriously hurts the way I play him.

Moaradin

Really, though, and just IMO... I think there should be more ways to defend yourself besides MAYBE having a metered reversal (some chars still don't have them... so they didn't really fix anything).

That's what V Reversals are for. Very underrated tool in this game, even still IMO. It's especially good now since the white life it causes is super dangerous with the recovery nerf.

tragic

Developer
That's what V Reversals are for. Very underrated tool in this game, even still IMO. It's especially good since the white life it causes is super dangerous with the recovery nerf.

They made them way worse. Guess what? ALSO requires meter.

Edit:

They should have done one of two things;

1) everyone has meterless reversal, white life is nerfed (like it is in S2)
2) no one has meterless reversals, white life is S1 status

Moaradin

I'm happy with how it is. Though I've always had to use meter to get a reversal so now that everyone else has to do the same thing it's fine by me lol.

tragic

Developer
I'm happy with how it is. Though I've always had to use meter to get a reversal so now that everyone else has to do the same thing it's fine by me lol.

So have I. All of the chars I play a decent amount of (Ibuki, Guile, Bison, etc) were that way.

They want the game to be for everyone (so it seems) yet they made it even harder for new players to get out of pressure, and the white life builds up so a single hit will eventually do 125% or more of it's normal dmg.

DR2K

Banned
General season 2 impressions.

Laura benefits more from the DP nerf than any other character. Pressure for days. I thought she was great in season 1, but now her most troublesome match ups are lot more manageable.

Mika is actually better now I'm some ways. she's a lot more honest, you can't just put someone in the corner for free, but she's still a fucking nightmare now that meaties can stuff DPs.

Juri is still incredibly hard to use, which is crazy considering everyone from SFIV is much easier to use now. I have never played a character with so many road blocks. I just can not achieve decent results with her, no matter how much I practice. It still feels like she's a brand new character designed to be in another game. She got a ton of QOL improvement, but a lot of her changes aren't things you'll be doing outside of training mode . At least not from the current batch of high level Juris out there. Outside of her st mp to st mk, which is difficult to link and incredibly awkward all around for me to use. More training mode with this one.

Cammy. St mp, st mp, st mp, stop fucking breaking my throw, cr mk, st mk. Ex dive kick nerfs weren't warranted. Thankfully the gray life health nerf is a big buff to her pressure game.

Edzi

I can't get over how goddamn braindead Ryus are online, and why it always seems to work. Every single knockdown leads to a meaty setup, and all they do is hold forward/jump/dash and go on the offensive with his amazing buttons and throws. Those dashes especially make me think he's just a bit too fast for how good his buttons/damage are.

vulva

Ok I'm calling it, Nash is dead.

Capcom can be so fucking stupid overlooking the overall balance of SFV. "Let's nerf Alex as he wasen't good to begin with" "Oh Hi there Birdie, let's make your EX Bullhorn Safe on block with Armor and abuse it like an idiot"

Is it bad that I'm inclined to disagree with everything you say, even when I agree?

JTCx

GGS!

Yeah, I noticed that. It was super crazy! LOL!

Good to know that you're experiencing it too lol.

My bad if i didnt provide a challenge. This was my first week getting back into SFV after a long break, trying to get my groove back.

ArjanN

I can't get over how goddamn braindead Ryus are online, and why it always seems to work. Every single knockdown leads to a meaty setup, and all they do is hold forward/jump/dash and go on the offensive with his amazing buttons and throws. Those dashes especially make me think he's just a bit too fast for how good his buttons/damage are.

I just block unless they prove they're willing to go for a throw me like 3 times in a row.

Every Ryu I've fought goes in for the dash grabs immediately once they realize I'm blocking a couple hits, and then back to the offense.

His throw does nothing for him mid screen anymore. He doesn't even get a meaty normal. Well his sweep does reach, but it's very punishable. He has to walk forward for everything else and walking forward a few frames will put Ryu at frame disadvantage. All I can hope for someone to press a wake up button to extend their hurtbox so I can crush counter it with st. HP or catch them with something else. He doesn't even get throw loops in the corner anymore. Their is a bit of space and after a little walk forward he's not in frame advantage anymore.

As for his normals. They're is nothing amazing about them, they just compliment his fireball game decently. They're stubby and can't compete with most characters if Ryu players just want to throw down with buttons. Even the block strings are nothing to brag about. It's not like he's Cammy.

I do think I overreacted the first day when I was talking about how nerfed he was. He's still OK, I think he'll be considered mid tier in most tier list. At least he's not trash as far as I can tell. I would still like special cancelable st. HP at all times though :p

kasane

I've always wanted to play charge characters since third strike but i have absolutely no fucking clue how to play them.

Most of the times i just lose my charge and i panic

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've always wanted to play charge characters since third strike but i have absolutely no fucking clue how to play them.

Most of the times i just lose my charge and i panic

I would say take the time and learn. Hit training mode, play casuals or a lounge with friends or GAF peeps so you can get experience. Charge characters are very much worth learning as it adds versatility to your possible roster choices and helps you become a better defensive and more patient player.

Personally speaking, I think it's a bad thing. Then again, I didn't think S1 was a shining example either (only 4 chars with meterless reversals???). I would prefer everyone to have meterless reversals so that offense / lockdown / and setplay aren't the primary thing in the game. It would be nice to have actual options other than "hold that".

DP's were already heavily punishable. They have Crush Counter. You already got wrecked for having your meterless reversal blocked. Now you lose meter AND get CC'ed. It makes no sense. White life nerfed too... what's the end game here? White life nerf should only have happened with EVERYONE getting some meterless reversal. Now you get a huge chunk of white life (which almost never EVER comes back) and you have no way out without meter....

... ok.

It's not an elegant solution. It doesn't even make sense.

Really, though, and just IMO... I think there should be more ways to defend yourself besides MAYBE having a metered reversal (some chars still don't have them... so they didn't really fix anything).
The only system-wide balance change I dislike is the white life nerf. Everything else is pretty good and I've almost never played meterless reversal using characters, so waiting my turn seems perfectly natural.
Alex's dash elbow is useless now. Unless spaced absolutely perfectly, it seems like most of the cast can punish it with a combo now. This seriously hurts the way I play him.
Getting in as Alex requires more meter now imo, but I don't hate how he gets in. If you use it properly (particularly against fireball characters) his EX stomp either puts your opponent in knockdown state or it leaves you right in front of them with positive blockstun. I had a lot of fun using this movement pattern against Guiles just a few days ago. It helps tremendously that he gets projectile invul starting from frame 1 of his EX stomp. It may well be almost as good as an auto-tracking buff.

JayEH

Asking again

Also, what are some good Balrog CC combos? St.hk xx cr.hp xx heavy upper xx light dash punch seems to be the best option.

that is the best non meter option. EX dash is worth it if you have it and ex dash v skill punch cancel ex dash is also worth it if you have two meters.

My version of Street Fighter is already switched back to the official one but it still says that it's [test 200] in the steam menu. Anyway to get rid of it?

Ryce

There was a design concept for Akuma where he’d fight with a baby strapped to his back. His V-Trigger would put the baby to sleep, allowing him to unleash his true power.

9ypuvM0.jpg

There was a design concept for Akuma where he’d fight with a baby strapped to his back, limiting his fighting potential as to not disturb the baby. His V-Trigger would put the baby to sleep, allowing him to unleash his true power.

Do we know who the baby was supposed to be or did it not matter to them?

There was a design concept for Akuma where he’d fight with a baby strapped to his back. His V-Trigger would put the baby to sleep, allowing him to unleash his true power.

9ypuvM0.jpg

That would've been amazing, lol. Also the baby using Akuma's prayer beads like a pacifier.

The baby is representative of Akuma's fanbase.

Ryce

It's just a random baby, but the designer mentions it possibly growing up as Akuma's protégé in a future installment. I figure Akuma found the baby abandoned on his travels (or maybe he even killed its parents).

It's just a random baby, but the designer mentions it possibly growing up as Akuma's disciple in a future installment. I figure Akuma found the baby abandoned on his travels (or maybe he even killed its parents).
Hmm. Maybe it's an orphan and he could name it Ryu. Or maybe Evil Ryu?

9ypuvM0.jpg

What the hell? This can't be real. That is amazing. Hopefully that becomes a costume one day.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I would've liked if they went with this one in the final product, the costume could be the same as it is now but the hair without the bun looks better IMO.

g04.jpg

stn

Agreed, would have looked better without the hair bun. I've still warmed up to his new design, however, but I greatly prefer his classic look.

I would've liked if they went with this one in the final product, the costume could be the same as it is now but the hair without the bun looks better IMO.
Agreed. If they really are going for a beastly look then they should have used that one. The bun just looks off in his default costume.

xptoxyz

Was trying to find some people to play with and got some 1 bar connections in people which I don't think are far away to qualify for 1 bar (I don't know what that constitutes in ms).

Going to see if port forwarding makes a difference, are the ports in the OP definitely correct? When I was searching for this some internet posts had conflicting port numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom