• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd switch Rog with Cammy in the top tier box, and put Boxer in the underneath group. also the shotos there, tho dunno if Akuma

of course, one week and change after the patch is crazy early to say but lol

quote me in six months brah
lol...yeah, Cammy is kinda crazy, I think Ryu/Ken got slightly weaker, but I maybe biased cuz all I play are shotos lol...We'll see soon enough. But I don't think early tiers are usually that off if you pay attention to fundamental strengths. The only character I got "wrong" was Bison, he seemed super good in S1, and he isn't bad, just hard to win with at higher level play. Bison can still wreck a good portion of the cast though with some patient play. I think there's going to be a big "good" bracket in S2 though, with just a A/B tier...No one should be S anymore...

I'm holding out hope for the new characters in Season 2.

They have no existing abilities or movesets that they need to bring back, and they're doing it after already having made 22 characters and balanced them for the V-System so they have a good idea of what to do and what not to do.
I don't know. While I don't think we'll be seeing Giefs consistently win stuff, Gief is a much better character this season so some success is not unprecedented.

mbpm1

I'm holding out hope for the new characters in Season 2.

They have no existing abilities or movesets that they need to bring back, and they're doing it after already having made 22 characters and balanced them for the V-System so they have a good idea of what to do and what not to do.

5 more mid tier shotos

Bizazedo

The only character I got "wrong" was Bison, he seemed super good in S1, and he isn't bad, just hard to win with at higher level play. Bison can still wreck a good portion of the cast though with some patient play. I think there's going to be a big "good" bracket in S2 though, with just a A/B tier...No one should be S anymore...

Not going to lie....I was quietly sad / angry no one listened to me about Bison sucking ass those first few weeks.

I still vividly remember Sixfortyfive apologizing / saying he felt bad when we went Bison vs Mika. The fact that I took any matches made me fist pump (it didn't, I was still sobbing).

He's a neat experiment and looks badass, at least.

AND THE CINEMATIC MODE HAS HIM SMILING / LAUGHING AT THE END. HE WILL RETURN!

:(.

Not going to lie....I was quietly sad / angry no one listened to me about Bison sucking ass those first few weeks.

I still vividly remember Sixfortyfive apologizing / saying he felt bad when we went Bison vs Mika. The fact that I took any matches made me fist pump (it didn't, I was still sobbing).

you called it man...how's Bison feel now anyway?

Also, anyone playing in the next few hours? I'm rusty, but I should pick it back up after a few matches.

PSN OmniCloud U.S east coast

Onemic

Gotta say, I don't really have the problems people seem to have with DPs anti-airing atm. Then again, I'm used to Juri's MK DP being weird timing so that's probably why Akuma's feels so reliable

In most cases I just use b.hp anyway. Better reward.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

He's the only character i over estimated. I legit thought he could make up the difference in v trigger. Meanwhille had I stuck to necalli..

You don't approve?

I am betting mid tier at the moment. So, better?

It really doesn't pay to overly rush down with him, though. Have to pick your moments.
I haven't had a chance to play him yet, but I've been watching videos and he doesn't seem notably better. If he's mid tier, it's because some other characters got fucked over so hard he's floating on their corpses.

He's the only character i over estimated. I legit thought he could make up the difference in v trigger. Meanwhille had I stuck to necalli..
I would 100% main Necalli if he didn't talk like a moron. He's so badass, and then he says "Devour-our-our". Ugh.

ElFly

Really hope next year brings in more people. No fighter should die, and none of them need to "fight" each other besides trying to bring in casuals on a content level.

Exactly. Like I feel like those who keep saying "I'll wait for another fighting game that let's me get out of jail free" are gonna be real sad when all these other games don't have that either. Tekken, KOF, and I'd bet money that the new Gundam game will act in the same way on a few levels. It's not like the days of Art Of Fighting where you could wait until you were 1/4's health and then kill the other dude in 3 hits, or learn some cheesy ass combo in KOF and get away with it every match. Even Ultras in 4 were pushing it, despite how punishable they were.

Well, V-trigger/skills are like that now. You WANT to be in Necaili's V-trigger mode because you get a freaking chargeable overhead. You want to use Urien's V-Skill now because it builds more gauge, and his character is real dependent on that once you fight people who are wise to your memes. Ryu has an even bigger incentive to hit V-Trigger.

It's not really the best comeback material, either. You still have to put in work. It's not a super move. Just because Ryu popped his trigger doesn't mean he's gonna get a free stun combo. Dude still has to work, it's just easier.

It is a good comeback mechanic yeah, but that still makes charging with v skills largely useless.

But dunno. Feel that the change in most of the cast is not that severe. For most people v trigger activation is a combo enlarger like fadc was (tho not as boring). This in itself is not bad but.... Dunno. I think Ryu for example can largely ignore his v skill and v trigger (again, outside of using the activation to make a combo longer).

Imho necalli and urien are how most of the v triggers/skills should work, and people like Cammy are the example of the boringest design that v triggers should not be

Bizazedo

you called it man...how's Bison feel now anyway?

Also, anyone playing in the next few hours? I'm rusty, but I should pick it back up after a few matches.

PSN OmniCloud U.S east coast

Mid-tier. Not enough abuseable bullshit. Has a shimmy now, at least, but requires A) Not to get reversal meter DP'd and B) conditioning, which isn't going to happen in random online matches.

Main issue is the start up of his moves are too slow, so you can anticipate them / punish them with meter.

Best way to play AS Bison now seems to just stand there and play like a wall. Be aggressive only after a knockdown and once your attacks are spent / you get pushed away, back off again. 3 frame light allows this style now. V-trigger allows ridiculous damage and stun, now, and the defensive style seems encouraged by Capcom as they made his v-trigger last longer when not doing special moves so he can just......stand there defensively.

If he needs to get in, EX Blast is the shit.

He still gets eaten alive by neutral jumps, which further encourages the defensive playstyle (or at best, slowly walk towards the enemy like a badass) or stopping your assault once you get to a certain range by successful blocks.

I haven't had a chance to play him yet, but I've been watching videos and he doesn't seem notably better. If he's mid tier, it's because some other characters got fucked over so hard he's floating on their corpses.

The 3 frame light and the nerfing of invincible reversals is huge for him, Karst. Invincible reversals basically made him unplayable in season one because once you did get the knockdown, you couldn't pressure. That and his anti air cr. Fierce is better than it was.

It is a good comeback mechanic yeah, but that still makes charging with v skills largely useless.

But dunno. Feel that the change in most of the cast is not that severe. For most people v trigger activation is a combo enlarger like fadc was (tho not as boring). This in itself is not bad but.... Dunno. I think Ryu for example can largely ignore his v skill and v trigger (again, outside of using the activation to make a combo longer).

Imho necalli and urien are how most of the v triggers/skills should work, and people like Cammy are the example of the boringest design that v triggers should not be

But then you have a Ryu that has a more optimal style of play than the rest. Or basically Elena/E Ryu. The change doesn't come from the characters but the people who apply them. Tokido used Ryus parry way more than other players and now he gets rewarded for it, but it's still not the most optimal format of playing Ryu.

People on the lower end of skill might not use this shit as often or not care like me, but it's going to make a world of difference for those on the higher spectrum. I feel like the v stuff was an after thought and now it's buying into the play your way style SFV was originally aiming for. It's just going to take more work to see the visually appealing applications.

galvenize

I believe the key to being a competent juri player is being able to know which one of your charges are up at any given moment. It's why she's to me the hardest character to play as since she has multiple punishes depending on what charges you have. Your brain needs to be working at a mile an hour.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I would 100% main Necalli if he didn't talk like a moron. He's so badass, and then he says "Devour-our-our". Ugh.

He's definitely better. Necalli was my beta phases main. I switched late to bipson. Sigh.

The 3 frame light and the nerfing of invincible reversals is huge for him, Karst. Invincible reversals basically made him unplayable in season one because once you did get the knockdown, you couldn't pressure. That and his anti air cr. Fierce is better than it was.
I don't disagree, I just think he needs something that actually threatens the opponent to be successful. The startup nerf on Psycho Axe really gets me down.

HardRojo

So not only do I have to pay attention between left and right mixups against Ibuki, but also decide whether I want to block or tech because she's in plus frames while mixing me up, also her normals beat everything I throw. Yeah, I think I'm just going to stop playing this game and wait to see if they bring Nash out of the pit he's in now. He doesn't even have an invincible wake up move (super lol). Whatever...

Onemic

So not only do I have to pay attention between left and right mixups against Ibuki, but also decide whether I want to block or tech because she's in plus frames while mixing me up, also her normals beat everything I throw. Yeah, I think I'm just going to stop playing this game and wait to see if they bring Nash out of the pit he's in now. He doesn't even have an invincible wake up move (super lol). Whatever...

Didnt they make one of his EX moves invincible?

ShinMaruku

Gotta say, I don't really have the problems people seem to have with DPs anti-airing atm. Then again, I'm used to Juri's MK DP being weird timing so that's probably why Akuma's feels so reliable

I never use her MK DP unless it's on a combo. EX much better. Blows up supers. XD

Amen. VF has the most boring cast of fighting game characters ever created. They have very little personality and the ones that have any, range from corny to downright fucking shameful. And to boot, it doesn't even have any ounce of in-game story, like ever. Mostly drab backgrounds...it's just a travesty on all accounts when it comes to style. The gameplay is great, but still, you gotta have more than that.

I love VF stages and the overall look.

Village

I like it, but I feel you .

I would like it , if his voice had weird effects when he does that. The reason for the studder is because he has a strong soul fighting back inside of him. Like if he talked and when he repeated there was a warp on his voice that would be tight. The VO tries to do that himself, but I feel like a studio touch might be better.

I like him though
Man has a Doc Samson and A gold dust color and most of his outfits are good

Edzi

I would like it , if his voice had weird effects when he does that. The reason for the studder is because he has a strong soul fighting back inside of him. Like if he talked and when he repeated there was a warp on his voice that would be tight. The VO tries to do that himself, but I feel like a studio touch might be better.

I like him though

Do you guys play Necalli in English or Japanese? His English VA is trash, but the Japanese VA is great. In English he sounds like a soft spoken moron, but in Japanese he just sounds feral.

HardRojo

Didnt they make one of his EX moves invincible?

They actually took throw inv away from his EX Scythe. I don't know what their plan was with Nash, I just can't press buttons, there are characters with much better normals that I can't do anything about, before I could at least try and play a neutral game, now I can't even do that because my pokes suck. Urien, Ibuki, Guile and Karin are just a few examples of characters with much better normals that I can barely touch unless I play perfectly. I might just play for today and call it quits for now, it was fun during S1 but I can't say I'm having any fun today despite winning most of my ranked matches.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry for the short set, Producer, but I have to leave right now unexpectedly. I want to play you again soon, though. Trying to adapt with Mika, having to play way more patient than I did before.

Seems several Chun-Li players are transitioning towards Cammy, or at least Chi-rithy is. Interesting turn of events.

Village

Do you guys play Necalli in English or Japanese? His English VA is trash, but the Japanese VA is great. In English he sounds like a soft spoken moron, but in Japanese he just sounds feral.

I think his english VA is great, ( he's also a cool dude, so maybe i'm a bit bias). I play him in english

Producer

Sorry for the short set, Producer, but I have to leave right now unexpectedly. I want to play you again soon, though. Trying to adapt with Mika, having to play way more patient than I did before.

Seems several Chun-Li players are transitioning towards Cammy, or at least Chi-rithy is. Interesting turn of events.

Its all good. And yeah i've started playing Cammy more than Chun now, just not feeling the damage and pressure nerfs to chun and in those areas cammy is still great. Still have a long way to go though till i get to a good level with her

Bison players, I'm watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2uIN76cTM

At around 1 minute, Bison does Devil's Reverse in V-Trigger and it overshoots its target. This always happens to me, and I've never figured out how to fix that. Anyone know how?

I like him though
I would love an "inner conflict" double voice theme for him.

To be high tier, yes. That's what I meant about not having enough abuseable shit to be top tier.
That's how I feel. But I'm watching the Guile vs. Bison match above, and if Bison has good matchups against the top tiers that might help him quite a bit.

Do you have a link to the Japanese lines?

I have the same problem.

I hoped the story would redeem him, but it just made things worse. Even Blanka feels more literate.
Yeah, I could tolerate Blanka, especially because he was goofy.

Edzi

Bison players, I'm watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2uIN76cTM

At around 1 minute, Bison does Devil's Reverse in V-Trigger and it overshoots its target. This always happens to me, and I've never figured out how to fix that. Anyone know how?

I would love an "inner conflict" double voice theme for him.

That's how I feel. But I'm watching the Guile vs. Bison match above, and if Bison has good matchups against the top tiers that might help him quite a bit.

Do you have a link to the Japanese lines?

Yeah, I could tolerate Blanka, especially because he was goofy.

Here's a basic comparison I found, but there's stuff from story mode on youtube too.

JayEH

Yeah, in addition to it sounding feral it also helps that even if he's a soft spoken moron in Japanese I can't tell!

RK9039

Nash's Super is no longer invincible lmao, on wakeup I mean. My super got stopped by Urien's EX headbutt and Akuma's forward hard punch, I'm sure there are others. Maybe Mika's drop kick works as well? That attack from Akuma is pretty dangerous.

This is really funny. I think they're trying to get rid of Nash.

It's impossible to balance all characters....

....that being said, if some were even or top tier, the game would not be fun for a lot of people. It would not surprise me at all if they have in mind to never make Zangief or Fang top tier.

Mika was probably a mistake. We'll see how Laura goes :).

I would say SFV S1 was reasonable balanced. Some characters like Gief and Juri were definitely in the low tier side with Xian working with Fang.

All Capcom needed to do was improve the weaker character and fix any minor issue on the good charecter. But now its just a mess with jab AA and oki throws still exist

Edzi

I was so looking forward to a fast c.mk for Ken...final build comes and crushes my dreams

I actually don't really understand why they slowed down so many mediums. I guess they wanted them to be easier to whiff punish, but I just find them getting stuffed more. Also, it's not exactly easier to whiff punish a slowly recovering medium poke if your own medium is slow as shit now.

Shadoken

Capcom wants you to feel what the character has been through.

Nash has had a hard life , from being godlk in Alpha 2 (S1) then being betrayed by his comrades(Capcom) who killed him. Now you must fight the battle (Online matches ) knowing fully well you are going to die ( lose) anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom