• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I put quotes around the word. Assholes is a better word I guess.
Is he really though?

9ypuvM0.jpg

You can be evil without murdering every child you see.

D1XxfFg.jpg

Akuma "walks the path of the demon" and is remorseless about murder. He's not a good guy.
I was referring mainly to the asshole comment. of course he's not a good guy.

Plus I love that Hitler was immediately the first comparison.

Ryce

Plus I love that Hitler was immediately the first comparison.
Sorry. It's probably because people always defend Akuma against accusations of villainy by posting the following piece of art:

yj4vzTw.jpg

I'm always thinking, "tons of bad guys have been photographed interacting with children."

JayEH

Akuma is chaotic neutral, he only wants to fight strong opponents. Yes he's killed three people one person but he always does it a honorable fight. He didn't even fight gen properly in alpha because he knew gen was sick. He's not good but he's not a total villain either.

Hyun Sai

The Hitler image is only to prove that posing with children doesn't make you "good", not to say Akuma = Hitler. I can't believe you're confused by this.

Ryce

The Hitler image is only to prove that posing with children doesn't make you "good", not to say Akuma = Hitler. I can't believe you're confused by this.
Yeah, I'm not comparing Akuma to Hitler. I'm just pointing out that interacting with children is irrelevant to whether or not someone is a bad guy.

And nobody claimed that Akuma was good, either. Just that he's not a villain. Then Ryce had to go and bust out the Hitler pic and escalate the whole damn thing.

Hyun Sai

And nobody claimed that Akuma was good, either. Just that he's not a villain. Then Ryce had to go and bust out the Hitler pic and escalate the whole damn thing.

Well, he responded to a pic of Akuma with a baby, which was supposed to prove he was not a villain or asshole.

And he was right, that doesn't prove anything.

Ryce

Even Capcom agrees that Akuma is a villain -- he's internally designated as a villain in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, triggering generic "vs. villain" dialog from certain characters.

Ryu is the protagonist of the Street Fighter series, and Akuma is Ryu's most direct antagonist. He's a bad guy who opposes the hero. He's a demon. He kills people. He destroys submarines. He's not the main villain bent on world domination, but he's a villain nonetheless.

Akuma is for sure a villain, but is he an asshole?

There is evidence for yes and no. He destroys submarines, but then he spares Ryu when they fight in SF5 and doesn't fight Gen because he's sick.

Palom

Is Ibuki bugged? I'm trying to record a guard recovery action in training for her jab, but it's throwing all her kunai instead. I'm definitely not holding the button.

It's a bit nuts how hard it is to punish Urien's EX reversal on whiff. As a DP that can lead to combos/setups and that also acts as an AA, I feel it should have a bit more recovery than it does when it misses.

Have they decreased the recovery even further or something in S2? I used to CC it on whiff like all the time in S1. Maybe cuz I predicted folks doing it often enough to time it well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Akuma is for sure a villain, but is he an asshole?

There is evidence for yes and no. He destroys submarines, but then he spares Ryu when they fight in SF5 and doesn't fight Gen because he's sick.

I think destroying even one submarine is sufficient to be an asshole irrespective of how many people you choose not to kill.

You don't need evidence on both sides to determine assholery. A single asshole act makes you an asshole. Perhaps redemption is possible, but "positive" acts like "not killing someone" don't get you there.

I think destroying even one submarine is sufficient to be an asshole irrespective of how many people you choose not to kill.

You don't need evidence on both sides to determine assholery. A single asshole act makes you an asshole. Perhaps redemption is possible, but "positive" acts like "not killing someone" don't get you there.
Fair enough.

I think way too much emphasis is put on the characters instead of the players. If a guy goes out and wins a bunch of tournaments with Fang then people will say Fang is OP. Characters suck (Rashid, Mika) until they win. It's a weird way to look at things. The Pro players will always try to downplay the characters they pick(ISDD) because if you can't blame the character then you can only blame yourself and who wants to do that? I know the characters and match ups play a role at high levels but I always felt it has been exaggerated. If more top players picked Ibuki, Juri, Urien season 1 I'm almost positive they would have found success. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how I feel.

New002

His Xiao Hia matchup went from 10-0 to 5-5/6-4, so there's definitely a big nerf for her. I suspect her neutral gets improved in S3.

Something else to consider is hadn't Xiao Hia been playing uncharacteristically poorly when matched up against Du? As in DU was getting inside his head maybe? Maybe he was able to shake that and, coupled with the Cammy tweaks (buffs?), was able to put up a much better showing. By the way I'm not saying that the adjustments to Mika didn't play a role, just that I'm not sure that her changes were the only thing that had an impact on those recent matches.

Anyways I also don't really agree with the person you quoted either. Just because Du, the best SFV player atm, is still making Mika work doesn't mean others can't be concerned.

But really at the end of the day it feels way too early to be saying characters are significantly better or worse IMO. I'm having flashbacks to Bison at launch, or Guile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom