• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about SG, but not GG. You can't land anything with Sol and not think that shit is satisfying. Fafnir to your dome is like...so good.

Also, Chipp's j.D

Time go play GG.

I think I want to try learning Bedman - would you be up for some sets in the nearby future where you play a somewhat unfamiliar character so I have a chance? lol I've been trying to figure out why I don't feel excited about GG even though I like the game a lot, and I think part of it is that Raven, while a great character, is just too linear and uninventive for me. I'm not sure if I can play Bedman because he has screen-relative moves (which my brain has trouble with), but I want to try.

HardRojo

I see Necalli's jabs are still as dumb as ever. No wonder people keep mashing them on wakeup. Gonna have to look for some setups that void 3 frame jabs but I still hate having my pressure stopped by it, not to mention his buttons are still amazing. Will check where they nerfed him because I'm not seeing it, other than the general DP stuff. It seems his EX DP is actually better now.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think I want to try learning Bedman - would you be up for some sets in the nearby future where you play a somewhat unfamiliar character so I have a chance? lol I've been trying to figure out why I don't feel excited about GG even though I like the game a lot, and I think part of it is that Raven, while a great character, is just too linear and uninventive for me. I'm not sure if I can play Bedman because he has screen-relative moves (which my brain has trouble with), but I want to try.

You disgust me sir. Bedman? The correct character is Johnny.

Skilletor

For sure. I haven't put any time in with jam, and I kind of want to learn what's his face that eats. Lol

FluxWaveZ

"What am I supposed to do? Just guess and pray?" - Mika player

Hey, I'm not sure Laura players are gonna have it that much easier against Urien moving forward, either.

Could you always follow Mika's whip immediately with ex peach? Mika still got the corner "for free". :p

Before, you could do whip > dash > dash > EX Peach. It's just that that kind of stuff obviously wasn't optimal.

"For free" is one hell of an overstatement, given what they've done to her options, though.

jett

D-Member
Hey, I'm not sure Laura players are gonna have it that much easier against Urien moving forward, either.

Before, you could do whip > dash > dash > EX Peach. It's just that that kind of stuff obviously wasn't optimal.

"For free" is one hell of an overstatement, given what they've done to her options, though.

I know, it's just everyone's thing was that mika "no longer has the corner for free" or whatever. She can still easily push people over there.

FluxWaveZ

I know, it's just everyone's thing was that mika "no longer has the corner for free" or whatever. She can still easily push people over there.

Well, that's the thing. It's not easily anymore. That's why Mika mains before (me included) were like "it's not a big deal if the invisible wall gets removed" because it would indeed still be a simple matter to bring the opponent across the screen. But with what they've done to her, I think characters like Ken and Balrog have an easier corner carry game than Mika does.

It's less about the whip into corner carry and more about the st.MP > EX Peach confirms for that, now.

For sure. I haven't put any time in with jam, and I kind of want to learn what's his face that eats. Lol

Cool. Tentatively, we could try for next weekend? I'm getting back into CO tomorrow and will take the weekend to try out Bison 2.0 and do Bedman's trials. I've watched about 2 hours of Bedman play to get a basic idea of what he does.

well there's always character level, and also normally people will have a title of their fav character

I have "cat person" tho :3

Ehhhhhhh that's still not much of an indicator. That just shows how long you've been using that specific character.

Mine is "Professor." Saw it, immediately copped lol

HardRojo

Just won a match against a Laura 3 leagues above mine. I had some trouble but overall I think I dominated. Didn't grant the runback though, playing against Laura makes my brain go into overdrive, fuck that noise! And I still need to do my homework regarding frame data and setups :(

I used to look to TampaBison to see what I should be doing.

This week I discovered Galtu, and...what the fuck, his Bison is like anything else. There's just so much confidence and aggression in his play that I don't see anywhere else. He makes me feel about Bison how FChamp used to make me think about Dormammu - my character can play like this?

Just look at the energy behind this set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_K5qVFJt0

Topic about anything remotely SFV gets three pages of shitposts in an hour.
Topic about women in eSports gets no replies after a half an hour.

This week I discovered Galtu, and...what the fuck, his Bison is like anything else. There's just so much confidence and aggression in his play that I don't see anywhere else. He makes me feel about Bison how FChamp used to make me think about Dormammu - my character can play like this?

That could be you, fam.

Momentary

Banned
I've been playing Laura since the beginning and I used to have a tough time. Now I feel like I'm cheating. I might pick up another character.

Also I'm pretty drunk off of some 13.8% beer called Barrel Roll By Hangar 24... How are these ass whoopins possible.

HardRojo

Played against yet another Laura a while ago, I thought I was doing good until:
  • Damn! Her AA shoulder has some range!
  • The one time I didn't jump she went for the command grab, I could've taken the round there.
  • Holy shit the Super at the beginning of the second round! Is she a psychic!?
Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhe7WuRIh6o
Any advice is welcome, my Urien is still barely a Day 2 one (or 3, I forget).

Bizazedo

Topic about anything remotely SFV gets three pages of shitposts in an hour.
Topic about women in eSports gets no replies after a half an hour.

You needed something inflammatory, like a random twitter comment from a nobody denouncing their achievements.

The thread has no hook, can only really post "Good for them!"

You needed something inflammatory, like a random twitter comment from a nobody denouncing their achievements.

The thread has no hook, can only really post "Good for them!"

I was hoping for some "hey guys, look at this other female player", etc etc.

But at least there is some commentary now!

Sigmaah

So what are akumas best block strings and what's his gameplan cause I'm having a hard ass time with him rn. Like this nigga got no reach lmao.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just beat a platinum player in ranked with my Akuma. #feelsgoodman

Gimme dem points.

Nice shit. I got to do a long set against a Gold Akuma, managed to win one. Felt damn good--he went for a Raging Demon and I jumped straight up, landed behind him, and did my Super to end it. He was 9-1 overall but I would say I definitely learned and actually competed. Well, the last 3 sets he adjusted with new mix-ups and fucked my whole shit up, but still, learned off of him for sure. Gotta watch replays for his frame traps.

I think Gold level players are the sweet spot for me where I feel like I'm losing but still getting something out of it. Any higher and it's just them rolling over me and I'm just stuck.

JTCx

Any good Urien gameplay vids or players to look into? I barely got back into the game once the new patch hit and i need to steal some tech.

HardRojo

So what are akumas best block strings and what's his gameplan cause I'm having a hard ass time with him rn. Like this nigga got no reach lmao.

He's got a great cross-up MK and it seems most people are going for cr.MP -> st.MK for pressure. Mix it up with demon flip into throw or kick. He has a command normal where he raises one palm, not sure what the buttons are but it is really good and you can cancel into something.

mbpm1

I just do cr. mp > st. mk > something most of the time.

St. mk puts you pretty far out there so you can try counterpoking if they press after st. mk and you don't cancel it

LakeEarth

Played against yet another Laura a while ago, I thought I was doing good until:
  • Damn! Her AA shoulder has some range!
  • The one time I didn't jump she went for the command grab, I could've taken the round there.
  • Holy shit the Super at the beginning of the second round! Is she a psychic!?
Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhe7WuRIh6o
Any advice is welcome, my Urien is still barely a Day 2 one (or 3, I forget).
The Laura always blocked low, you should've completed the target combo. I think you recognized it at one point with raw overhead but he pushed buttons then.

That super was pure luck.

stn

Re: Akuma - also try F+FP for his chop attack, then go into st. jab whether they block or mash. Its plus. You should be able to connect cr. mk on hit.

I'm playing him on the side, still also figuring him out. To be honest I think I prefer Alex, Laura, and Rashid more in terms of playstyle. Can't stand the stubby normals.

kobu

GGs. Got any advice for me? It seems like the MU might be slightly in Vega's favor; it's tough dealing with his claw form pokes and the clawless command grab.

I don't know that match up too well but it seems like you were playing it right. I like to play very lame and poke my opponent to death but that doesn't really work on boxer since he can do the same thing and in his case it leads to crazy damage. You have to guess after light roll now so if the claw is off I would back dash every time tbh

I posted a set between him and daigo guile a couple days ago on here. You should check it out.

Yeah, that sequence is pretty crazy. It's apparently still -6, but I guess well spaced ones made it sometimes hard to punish, even using a 3f move.

They increased the size of the hitboxes forward on the second hit. Not sure exactly how far though. Would explain it being harder to punish with proper spacing. I haven't tested it myself though.

I just watched Momochi's Urien - that character is ridiculous now. I had faith in you, ComboFiend. :-/

I posted a set between him and daigo guile a couple days ago on here. You should check it out.

Already saw it, but thank you! I check the SRK Bison forums daily for his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom