• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think way too much emphasis is put on the characters instead of the players. If a guy goes out and wins a bunch of tournaments with Fang then people will say Fang is OP. Characters suck (Rashid, Mika) until they win. It's a weird way to look at things. The Pro players will always try to downplay the characters they pick(ISDD) because if you can't blame the character then you can only blame yourself and who wants to do that? I know the characters and match ups play a role at high levels but I always felt it has been exaggerated. If more top players picked Ibuki, Juri, Urien season 1 I'm almost positive they would have found success. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how I feel.

I think you are correct now, but Ibuki and Juri were pretty ass. Urien was alright but his meme combos made him look better than he actually was.

Tiers aren't all that big a deal in SFV anyway. You can still win with Nash, he just has more bullshit to go through.

People are to quick judging characters without testing things out. Yeah Nash's nerfs are dumb but still has his meaties, pressure and framtraps.

I would never have known the name for his command normals, his CA or dash if I didn't look it up.

He does say the name for his trap,upballs and lunge.

He definitely says nikakyaku as well, I don't even play f.a.n.g but I've heard it plenty, so that just leaves you with his CA and command normals, not that hard imo.

I think S1 showed that to be a very, very wrong conception. At least at the top levels.

Well, it's dangerous to only look at top level results because some of the best players didn't even make it through their first few sets at a bunch of events. Tokido, arguably the best Ryu at the time, was free as fuck to Dr. Ray's Vega. FANG got 9th place at CPT. Nash, who was admitted to be a solid mid tier character by Inflitration, took EVO.

Meanwhile Justin Wong was free for a good portion of his season with one of the best characters, Karin. Du took it this year with Mika, who's top ten at best. Shit, an Alex got enough points to appear at the finals.

Then you have Punk, who's Karin is probably one of the top three in the world, get nearly styled on by a Birdie.

In SFV, picking a top tier isn't as reliable as people think. You still gotta put in massive amounts of work, and it comes down to your playstyle as well. Daigo refused to play Ryu less defensively and paid for it.

Not saying that tiers don't matter. But they aren't an automatic win or lose button like people believe they are. That's kinda true for most fighting games, but I think it applies moreso to this generation of fighters.

Pejo

Are there any Necalli players on GAF? I've been with him since the beginning of SFV, and I'm not sure how I feel about his changes. Moving the command throw to kicks has screwed me over so many times now, and the EX version seems slower to come out (maybe it's just me).

I'm not a high level player or anything, just wondering what the thoughts are about him now.

Sayad

You come across as about way more as bitter, and over what was clearly just a minor sarcastic jab in some patch notes 5 people will read.
For complaining about MZ on a forum, I come off as more bitter than him tweeting about SFV more than he does about his own game in the week SG got a new patch! Ok... ¯\_( – ﹏ – )_/¯

Bizazedo

Run into Fluxwave in ranked, not realized, get steamrolled by insanely aggressive Mika. I will look for you again, sir :).

On bright side, ran into an Ibuki, was losing, land one crush counter, take away most of her life. Ups and downs lol.

Sayad

What I don't like about GG and SG is that the hits don't feel very satisfying. Part of this is due to the nature of the combo system where 50 hit combos may do less than a SFV jump-in but a lot of it is the animation and the sound effects. SG has great animation overall and the most animation per character in a 2D fighter but I don't believe it has as many hit stun frames of animation. I could be wrong but I get the sense that a common combo in SG looks like one character frozen in a wincing expression occasionally broken up by their bodies jerking from a big hit. Guilty Gear ia even worse since the game has limited animation intentionally.

Also, very few fighting games feel like the characters have weight. In 3S when people got launched and fell to the ground it look like it really hurt. Most other fighting games make the characters feel like they are 50% helium.
It depend more on your experience with the game I guess. There certainly are characters with very satisfying stuff that sells the hit very well in animation while also making SFV S1 Ryus and Nicallis look like they're doing baby damage, Sol's counter hit fafnir or anything in DI mode, Slayer's pile bunker stuff, Sin's charged attacks, I-No's corner combos, Pot's ch 6H and 6K loops, etc... But yea, not all characters have this kind of stuff in Xrd while in SFV everyone have CCs which do sell hitting hard very well.

Totally agree with the second part though, can't think of a fighting game that did this better than 3s. Tossing someone around in 3s feel like beating the crap out of Shown Micheal, sells do matter!

Skilletor

What I don't like about GG and SG is that the hits don't feel very satisfying. Part of this is due to the nature of the combo system where 50 hit combos may do less than a SFV jump-in but a lot of it is the animation and the sound effects. SG has great animation overall and the most animation per character in a 2D fighter but I don't believe it has as many hit stun frames of animation. I could be wrong but I get the sense that a common combo in SG looks like one character frozen in a wincing expression occasionally broken up by their bodies jerking from a big hit. Guilty Gear ia even worse since the game has limited animation intentionally.

Also, very few fighting games feel like the characters have weight. In 3S when people got launched and fell to the ground it look like it really hurt. Most other fighting games make the characters feel like they are 50% helium.

I agree about SG, but not GG. You can't land anything with Sol and not think that shit is satisfying. Fafnir to your dome is like...so good.

Also, Chipp's j.D

Time go play GG.

I agree about SG, but not GG. You can't land anything with Sol and not think that shit is satisfying. Fafnir to your dome is like...so good.

Also, Chipp's j.D

Time go play GG.

Who you playing in GG these days?

I just got the BBCF limited edition for $45 brand new off Amazon and tried playing it and forgot how hard that damn game is. I tried playing Arakune again so I guess that is my fault for trying to jump into that game with him.

Skilletor

Who you playing in GG these days?

I just got the BBCF limited edition for $45 brand new off Amazon and tried playing it and forgot how hard that damn game is. I tried playing Arakune again so I guess that is my fault for trying to jump into that game with him.

Chipp, Leo, and Jam.

I picked up BB, but haven't put much time into it. I've been playing anime games for years, but the only one whose neutral makes sense to me is GG. Karsticles bodied me super good with Nine and I started to get frustrated. I realize it's me, but I just...really don't get how to begin approaching BB after all of these years.

I like this BB a lot though. There are 5 or 6 characters I wouldn't mind learning. Just have to body past that internal barrier.

GG is my vote for best fighter this generation, though.

Chipp, Leo, and Jam.

I picked up BB, but haven't put much time into it. I've been playing anime games for years, but the only one whose neutral makes sense to me is GG. Karsticles bodied me super good with Nine and I started to get frustrated. I realize it's me, but I just...really don't get how to begin approaching BB after all of these years.

I like this BB a lot though. There are 5 or 6 characters I wouldn't mind learning. Just have to body past that internal barrier.

GG is my vote for best fighter this generation, though.

Yeah I am the same way with BB. I tried messing with Nine a little last night and was lost. I might just go back to playing Azrael as he feels the most comfortable to me. I need to put some more research into the new characters in this game this weekend.

C09aGpqWQAE32gG.jpg

Woo

FluxWaveZ

Non-related, but any reason why you're hiding ranks? I've also seen Maximilian hiding ranks in his videos.

It used to be a source of stress for me. If I saw I was going against high league players (before matchmaking was fixed), I would play differently and potentially on tilt. I'd also underestimate players at lower leagues, which would get me blown up.

It doesn't affect me like that anymore, but I just haven't bothered to turn it back on since.

New002

It used to be a source of stress for me. If I saw I was going against high league players (before matchmaking was fixed), I would play differently and potentially on tilt. I'd also underestimate players at lower leagues, which would get me blown up.

It doesn't affect me like that anymore, but I just haven't bothered to turn it back on since.

Welp, I just learned something lol. I think I may turn them off for the same reasons. Could be a nice change of pace.

This...I don't play ranked as much anymore, but I'll never turn it back on

So it appears that Maximillian (Dood) has the exact same problem with match-making that I do, where we get matched up almost exclusively against people who are ranked much lower. On the bright side, if it is happening to Max (and with him complaining loudly and repeatedly) then somebody from Capcom might actually take notice.

That's a really good idea.
I no longer so get stressed by higher ranked players, but I definitely tend to underestimate lower ranked players, which has bitten me in the ass numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom