• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't think Akuma is actually evil in the way that most people would use that word. He just wants to be the strongest. He may lack compassion or empathy, and in that sense has "given up on the human path" as he mentions in his story mode, but he still has a moral code he lives by, and doesn't just go around murdering people. The whole point of the Satsui no Hado is that he draws his strength from a complete willingness to win against his opponent, with the desire to fight to the death. So far, he's only been shown even killing like 3 people. He killed Goutetsu, who was actually happy about it because it because Akuma had finally surpassed his skill as a practitioner of Ansatsuken. He killed some random Muay Thai fighter in a fight to the death, and he kills Gen in a fight to the death. The only person he's ever tried to kill preemptively is Bison, and that's because he views his use of Psycho Power as evil and unnatural. He didn't manage to kill Gouken, but even then, he attempted it in an honorable fight to the death, rather than attempting to murder him. He's definitely not a good person, but I don't think that makes him evil.

Ryce

Every character has nuance, but ultimately, in the cartoon world of Street Fighter, I think it’s clear that the creators intended for Akuma to be the “evil” counterpart to Ryu. It’s a Jedi vs. Sith type of deal. If you absolutely had to categorize every Street Fighter character into two groups, the likes of Ryu and Chun-Li and Guile would be on one side and Akuma and Juri and Necalli would be on the other. (And again, Capcom had no qualms about designating Akuma as a villain in MvC3.)

A video I made about Mikas options to get you into the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAK7O7o3YhI

I prefer St.MP, St.HP, H.Peach bomber since it does a good amount of damage and is meterless. simple, easy and effective.

Also, mic drop combos are my favorite of all time. When the see me doing the V skill and then rush in, get hit by the mic and then confirm the hit into a kill is sublime. It's caused a fair bit of RQs and I relish it.

Anbody else wanna share some R Mika setups?

whip > peach isn't optimal, dash once after the whip.

I think you need level 50 for that color. I'm at 42 with her and it feels like I'm not getting that color unless arcade mode lets me get more fight money with her.

Beating survival on extreme only gets you fight money and experience.

Hmmm, I'll look out for that and just keep grinding. Anyone else know of any other way of getting color 15 for Karin?

EDIT: yea just saw on eventhubs that you do need to be at level 50 for that color.

Every character has nuance, but ultimately, in the cartoon world of Street Fighter, I think it’s clear that the creators intended for Akuma to be the “evil” counterpart to Ryu. It’s a Jedi vs. Sith type of deal. If you absolutely had to categorize every Street Fighter character into two groups, the likes of Ryu and Chun-Li and Guile would be on one side and Akuma and Juri and Necalli would be on the other. (And again, Capcom had no qualms about designating Akuma as a villain in MvC3.)
From Akuma's perspective, Ryu is evil.

cordy

Banned
Yeah, I don't think Akuma is actually evil in the way that most people would use that word. He just wants to be the strongest. He may lack compassion or empathy, and in that sense has "given up on the human path" as he mentions in his story mode, but he still has a moral code he lives by, and doesn't just go around murdering people. The whole point of the Satsui no Hado is that he draws his strength from a complete willingness to win against his opponent, with the desire to fight to the death. So far, he's only been shown even killing like 2 people. He killed Goutetsu, who was actually happy about it because it because Akuma had finally surpassed his skill as a practitioner of Ansatsuken. He killed some random Muay Thai fighter in a fight to the death, and he kills Gen in a fight to the death. The only person he's ever tried to kill preemptively is Bison, and that's because he views his use of Psycho Power as evil and unnatural. He didn't manage to kill Gouken, but even then, he attempted it in an honorable fight to the death, rather than attempting to murder him. He's definitely not a good person, but I don't think that makes him evil.

Yep exactly. 100% accurate. The term "evil" isn't being used correctly at all. Akuma's definitely not that, he's got his own code. Whatever Sagat is, that's what Akuma is. If Akuma were truly evil, what we consider evil, then surely the artists wouldn't have potentially designed that alt costume of his and they definitely wouldn't have had Ryu acting like that at the end of Akuma's story mode.

They just keep doing it because we've got people saying "well no he's evil" so they'll keep on doing it until people actually understand it.

I mean it shouldn't be hard for people to get.

I think that was probably true when Akuma was first introduced in Super Turbo, but I think in recent years they've attempted to portray Akuma in much more of a neutral light. He's certainly Ryu's antagonist from a storytelling perspective, but as a character he isn't evil. Though SFV has further upended the tea table when it comes to categorizing people anyway. I mean, Juri actively helps the protagonists through parts of the story, Necali is portrayed more as a force of nature than an evil character. Urien is just a jackass, and Helen/Kolin seems to have good intentions, despite them being rooted in a wacky prophecy. The Dolls are all being mind controled. Ed and Balrog seem to have a morality that's more concerned with money than whether something is good or evil. The only characters that are really evil people seem to be Bison, F.A.N.G., and Vega.

Yep exactly. 100% accurate. The term "evil" isn't being used correctly at all. Akuma's definitely not that, he's got his own code. Whatever Sagat is, that's what Akuma is. If Akuma were truly evil, what we consider evil, then surely the artists wouldn't have potentially designed that alt costume of his and they definitely wouldn't have had Ryu acting like that at the end of Akuma's story mode.

They just keep doing it because we've got people saying "well no he's evil" so they'll keep on doing it until people actually understand it.

I mean it shouldn't be hard for people to get.
I think a lot of it comes from Capcom USA translating Satsui no Hado as "Evil Intent" in a lot of earlier stuff, rather than "Murderous Intent". It probably comes from the same place as early Capcom USA saying that he was possessed by a demon.

cordy

Banned

If Akuma was evil, there's no way they'd have concept art of him potentially having a baby on his back and taking care of a kid. This is Capcom themselves, that same Capcom that had Akuma take out the guy against Ryu and the same Capcom who Ryu was smiling having a nice talk with after he got his ass beaten. What it sounds like is that people's ideas of Akuma isn't exactly what Capcom's going for so they're trying to make people understand that Akuma isn't evil so they'll keep on showing us little pieces of why he's not evil until they understand.

Hell, even Max said Akuma's evil which, if you go by what Akuma does and the lore, just isn't true. It's a commonly misunderstood thing about his character and honestly I figured Akuma's SFV story would kill that mindset but it seems people still think he is.
I think a lot of it comes from Capcom USA translating Satsui no Hado as "Evil Intent" in a lot of earlier stuff, rather than "Murderous Intent".

Yep.

It's like what I said earlier about their mistranslation of Akuma's SFV story where he mentioned going down the path of the demon. Most people thought he said "well he's going down the path of being more evil" when really he meant "I'm going down the path of Oni" hence why he made that comment towards neither heaven or hell.

Translation issues are screwing up the mindset of his character.

FluxWaveZ

I have a few good Rashid's on my list...Unfortunately, the best advice is to not get cornered. Take a look at his frame data, you won't be that satisfied lol...It's not really your turn at all once you get into corner against a Rashid that knows all their safe on block buttons. But playing Rog, you should be able to turn the tables around on him once you get trigger and take a big chunk of life with one confirm.

Not getting cornered sounds like that's pretty much the game plan against Rashid, except it's easier said than done for sure.

I'm already using so many V-Reversals in the MU that I often actually can't depend on the V-Trigger to turn things around, if I can even get a hit in for it when things get desperate. I just need to solidify my defense, and AA better. Have to discourage Rashid from going all crazy, or else I'm done.

Evil people have babies/kids. So what if akuma has a kid on his back, haha.

I don't think hes evil like bison is. Something else. Destructive in his nature.. Like Godzilla or something. Actually. Idk. Its a fighting game story line, heh.

I was watching some old anime today. The sub title said demon, then guy said akuma. I giggled like a school girl.

MrCarter

Happy New Year from London!

687474703a2f2f73686f7279756b656e2e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031312f31322f68617070795f6e65775f796561722e6a7067

JayEH

He isn't even destructive. He has specific people he wants to fight and he wants to fight to the death that it's.

JayEH

I don't know why I bother playing ranked. I don't have fun and I just lose points. :|

I don't have fun in ranked either. The stress of losing points isn't worth it IMO. I play casual almost exclusively but I will jump back into ranked once I feel like I'm getting better than the current competition in my rank.

As if Ossiel123088 wasn't enough ruin a day playing SFV. Kaidou is following the Turbo FM farming. Also using turbo or just mashing out of dizzy does seem to cause the game to create rollback.

FluxWaveZ

I have fun with Ranked. The competition is fierce, and there are always a good variety of opponents. While Battle Lounge filtering remains non-existant and Casuals is mainly the domain of people experimenting, Ranked is my go-to.

jett

D-Member
I don't have fun in ranked either. The stress of losing points isn't worth it IMO. I play casual almost exclusively but I will jump back into ranked once I feel like I'm getting better than the current competition in my rank.

Only when you are clearly out of your subset of the skill level should you play ranked. Too much salt otherwise lol

I thought I did then I lost 500 points and I'm super bronze again wtf.

I'm not interested in the stress of ranked, I just play for fun. I don't have the patience to learn frame data and all that crap. I honestly feel like I've been stuck in a rut for a long time. Ultra bronze/silver seems to be my ceiling and I can't get any better no matter how much I play. Feels bad man.

I have fun with Ranked. The competition is fierce, and there are always a good variety of opponents. While Battle Lounge filtering remains non-existant and Casuals is mainly the domain of people experimenting, Ranked is my go-to.
I think if you are consistently good it can be fun (because you arent stuck with same subset of opponents like you will be in casual). But if you aren't consistent (like me), and you start losing a lot of points it sucks.... I just wish battle lounge wasn't awful, otherwise i'd play that more. I felt i could more consistently connect to battle lounges in SF4 than in SFV..

RK9039

Rank is all I play as well, I like to see how far I can go before I start a losing streak. I regularly hit Super Gold/Ultra Gold and then in one session go all the way down to 4000.

Confirming FANG's st.HP off of counter hit st.LP is impossible for me in the middle of a fight. Speaking of counter hits, should they have their own animations like crush counters do? Obviously not as dramatic, but something to let you know you got a counter hit outside of having the label come up on the edge of the screen. Counter hits look exactly like regular hits from what I can tell.

I like ranled. I dont worry about the points really, i just play. They are just a representation of how you are doing. People are using their mains mostly and some do care about the points kinda, so its win at all costs, which i like. Its closest to putting a quarter on the line when you play, haha.

cordy

Banned
Evil people have babies/kids. So what if akuma has a kid on his back, haha.

I don't think hes evil like bison is. Something else. Destructive in his nature.. Like Godzilla or something. Actually. Idk. Its a fighting game story line, heh.

I was watching some old anime today. The sub title said demon, then guy said akuma. I giggled like a school girl.

It's the context of why he'd be given a kid in comparison to his character. For example, you'd never see Bison with a kid on his back trying to protect a kid in a fight but you'd be able to see Akuma, Sagat, Piccolo from DBZ, characters like that would be able to do it. Them having Akuma do that would show more of who he is as a person which, given what it is, is far from "being evil." And I agree with the other poster, just because he's destructive doesn't mean he's evil. Godzilla is different from Akuma as well.

Even if it's a fighting game, the lore if important to a great amount of fans. Same with other lore in other fighters like Tekken and MK. Just fleshes out the characters and makes you become bigger fans of them. As dope as the gameplay is, if you give a story to the universe it makes everything as a whole have a great identity. That's one reason why people hold a lot of fighters in a great regard. I think the gameplay + identity mix is perfect. Like the visuals and all that, you know what I mean.

That's one reason why I loved 3rd Strike so much. It had dope gameplay but also a unique style, music and just overall feel for it. You combine that with the stories and visuals and man it just sticks out.

Even if it's a fighting game, the lore if important to a great amount of fans. Same with other lore in other fighters like Tekken and MK. Just fleshes out the characters and makes you become bigger fans of them. As dope as the gameplay is, if you give a story to the universe it makes everything as a whole have a great identity. That's one reason why people hold a lot of fighters in a great regard. I think the gameplay + identity mix is perfect. Like the visuals and all that, you know what I mean.

Lore is one of my favorite parts of any fighting game, especially because fighting games tend to have absolutely batshit plots and backstories. I don't know if they just do it because they know that a lot of people won't pay attention so they can get away with it or if its just a factor of having to come up with a coherent plot featuring so many playable characters, but Street Fighter, Tekken, DoA, GG, BB, MK, KoF... They're all absolutely nuts. It's a weird mix of crazy in depth backgrounds for characters and ridiculous implausible stories that you just can't find anywhere else.

As far as Street Fighter is concerned, it's such a terrible missed opportunity that they don't have the CFN character encyclopedia accessible in game. Hell, they barely even advertise the CFN website. There's a ton of cool info on that site, and most people probably don't know it even exists. It should be where you end up when you go to streetfighter.com, not some weird extra site that you can't even find unless you seek it out specifically.

I guess it's just another issue with Capcom's overall online presence for Street Fighter. There are separate English and Japanese sites just for SFV, the seperate CFN site, a site for the Capcom Pro Tour, and on top of all that most of the info we get comes from blog posts on Capcom-Unity. It's bordering on bizarre.

It's kind of absurd that you can have a character (attempting to) murder random marine scientists and the sailors working with them, for no apparent reason, and people will still argue that this character is not actually "evil".

Ucchedavāda;227473981 said:
It's kind of absurd that you can have a character (attempting to) murder random marine scientists and the sailors working with them, for no apparent reason, and people will still argue that this character is not actually "evil".

Akuma destroys the shipwreck he was standing on underwater. He doesn't murder anybody.

HardRojo

I don't know why I bother playing ranked. I don't have fun and I just lose points. :|

Honestly I stopped caring about the points since Season 2 arrived, in fact the day I started playing with Urien and Guile I lost about 1.5k LP and went to sub 3K LP, now I'm back at 4k LP by playing with Urien but I'm focusing more on learning the character and getting familiar with him. I don't really care about the points now, it's great playing without that stress.

cordy

Banned
Ucchedavāda;227473981 said:

It's kind of absurd that people think that actually happened when really it's a misunderstanding of the ending. Akuma never murdered them, that was a different submarine, just look at the subs. They just watched him destroy an already sunken shipwreck.
Lore is one of my favorite parts of any fighting game, especially because fighting games tend to have absolutely batshit plots and backstories. I don't know if they just do it because they know that a lot of people won't pay attention so they can get away with it or if its just a factor of having to come up with a coherent plot featuring so many playable characters, but Street Fighter, Tekken, DoA, GG, BB, MK, KoF... They're all absolutely nuts. It's a weird mix of crazy in depth backgrounds for characters and ridiculous implausible stories that you just can't find anywhere else.

As far as Street Fighter is concerned, it's such a terrible missed opportunity that they don't have the CFN character encyclopedia accessible in game. Hell, they barely even advertise the CFN website. There's a ton of cool info on that site, and most people probably don't know it even exists. It should be where you end up when you go to streetfighter.com, not some weird extra site that you can't even find unless you seek it out specifically.

I guess it's just another issue with Capcom's overall online presence for Street Fighter. There are separate English and Japanese sites just for SFV, the seperate CFN site, a site for the Capcom Pro Tour, and on top of all that most of the info we get comes from blog posts on Capcom-Unity. It's bordering on bizarre.

100%. Tekken for example, I love the constant Mishima conflicts, it's just fun. Kazuya going from the main wanting to take down his father, beating him and becoming even more corrupt to Heihachi and then Heihachi beats him and takes back the company, Jin's born now, just all of that mess is fun to me. I like looking at all the different games from a series and see exactly what separates them. Same with MK.

Ono actually said he was surprised people loved the lore of SF before the game came out and Story Mode was supposed to help those players (and casuals) but it just didn't work out. Sounds like they're at least invested in it though and will continue to do so in the future. I always check out the CFN profiles. It's interesting.

I thought I did then I lost 500 points and I'm super bronze again wtf.

I'm not interested in the stress of ranked, I just play for fun. I don't have the patience to learn frame data and all that crap. I honestly feel like I've been stuck in a rut for a long time. Ultra bronze/silver seems to be my ceiling and I can't get any better no matter how much I play. Feels bad man.

The best way to play casually (like i do) is work out where you think you place. For example i would say im top ultra bronze / low silver. Get there in ranked and just play casual. If you feel you are dominant at any point then go back to ranked and find your new sweet spot.

However i will say this. If you think you are similar to me (hovering between ultra bronze and silver) that still puts you in the top 25%. As a casual player that is nothing to sniff at. I feel the people who get the most out of ranked are people who take the game more serious.

Im just sticking at ultra bronze for now as it seems to pit me against super bronze > silver players. I can also then try other characters with no worry dropping ranks and be practising against people of similar skill to me.

I know if i played nothing but ranked i would just end up in silver forever because of how wonky i found match making as soon as you hit silver (heck even ultra bronze starts matching you with super silvers) and i dont play enough to keep up with the grind. Just want to be able to log on a few nights a week and play for 60-90 mins at a time and get some fun matches in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom