• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordy

Banned
MK and Tekken's stories are great. SF has a lot of catching up to do in those regards. I mean I understand the lore but from a "mode" perspective, I caught myself wondering a good amount of why they did certain things. For example, Guile wasn't even there to attempt to fight Bison and communicate with Nash? Ken didn't do anything major during Story Mode besides get his ass beaten by Ryu? You couldn't have let Ken take down Vega or Rog? You couldn't let Bison attempt to possess Ken like they did in the animated movie or even have Ryu become possessed so Ken fights Ryu? It's happened before but so has this "everybody assaults Bison" thing they always do. Just shit like that was crazy.

Now MK9/X? That shit was genius, I loved both. Tekken's story makes sense to me as well.

Kashiwaba

The more I think about it, the more I think that the good parts of SFV's story mode is the craziness and it should have been more about that then anything serious.

Beating up a cop, Nash being a jobber, Juri going from Brazil to London in one cutscene on a motorcycle and saying "I think we've lost them," Nash staring intently at a talking sheep, Laura being dumb, etc.

It should have just laid into the stupidity.

Man i almost pissed myself laughing after that scene.

RM8

I have yet to download the story mode, lol. Ugh, I didn't even finish the one in MKX and MK9, but I want that story mode FM :(

Moaradin

SFV story > MKX story

Johnny and Cassie Cage was the saving grace of MKX.

No kappa, I legit just enjoyed SFV's more.

I thought SFV story mode was better as well. MKX story mode was boring as fuck and most of the new characters were bland. SFV story mode is goofy as fuck and fun and it's better just because of FANG walking like a bird everywhere and throwing ninja smoke bombs when he runs away.

jett

D-Member
ituotsa1pwajqrgne8es.gif

She's even animated in a way that looks like she's reaching way deep in her ass.

This game's story mode is so bad. I don't know much it cost, but it surely was too much.

MrCarter

I actually fell asleep during MKX's story mode because it was so bland and boring. SFV had its flaws too but overall I enjoyed it (especially Rashid) and kept my attention.

Aside from Laura and Gief grapplers are worse off in this game.

Gief is now a walking wall i have no idea how to deal with. Will be interesting to see if any of the top players usr him.

Laura is pretty similar to before. Doh reall get the hate. Keep her away its your advantage, let her get in its hers. Pretty typical grapple stuff.

ElFly

What makes Alex that instead of a grappler? He has 3 types of command grabs. When a character relies on them for their mixups, they're a grappler to me. Same as Birdie.

his CA ain't a grab and his command grabs have shit ass range

air knee being a grab is just a curiosity. it's not like you can block it in the air

FluxWaveZ

his CA ain't a grab and his command grabs have shit ass range

air knee being a grab is just a curiosity. it's not like you can block it

That doesn't really preclude him from being a grappler. When the constant fear of a character being at certain ranges is that you need to consider multiple types of command grabs on the ground, and even if you jump you may get command grabbed if they mind read you correctly, then I'd associate them with being a grappler.

There are multiple kinds of grapplers, they don't all fit into one specific type. The fact that his Power Bomb has bad range or not doesn't mean that it's not an essential tool of his arsenal, and he has Head Crush, which doesn't have bad range and even had its recovery reduced in S2. The fact that he has those tools, even if an Alex's playstyle doesn't use them much, is very important because it represents a constant threat that the opponent needs to keep in mind when Alex gets to certain distances.

Unless you play Alex like a grappler, especially in S2, you're gonna have a bad time.

Feels weird counting stun gun headbutt as a grappling move, but I can see why it would qualify in mose people's eyes. Alex is a weird character.
there ain't other grapplers but Mika

Alex is an all rounder
I'll only agree that he barely qualifies as a grappler anymore. In 3S he was just a shitty grappler since he had chokehold, powerbomb/back drop, hyper bomb, air knee strike and spiral DDT, but now the only major grappling moves he has left are powerbomb/back drop and air knee strike.

ElFly

I'll only agree that he barely qualifies as a grappler anymore. In 3S he was just a shitty grappler since he had chokehold, powerbomb/back drop, hyper bomb, air knee strike and spiral DDT, but now the only major grappling moves he has left are powerbomb/back drop and air knee strike.

he was a grappler in 3S yeah. maybe he ain't learned the grab CA yet? his grab CA was kind of shit in SF3 tho

That doesn't really preclude him from being a grappler. When the constant fear of a character being at certain ranges is that you need to consider multiple types of command grabs on the ground, and even if you jump you may get command grabbed if they mind read you correctly, then I'd associate them with being a grappler.

There are multiple kinds of grapplers, they don't all fit into one specific type. The fact that his Power Bomb has bad range or not doesn't mean that it's not an essential tool of his arsenal, and he has Head Crush, which doesn't have bad range and even had its recovery reduced in S2. The fact that he has those tools, even if an Alex's playstyle doesn't use them much, is very important because it represents a constant threat that the opponent needs to keep in mind when Alex gets to certain distances.

Unless you play Alex like a grappler, especially in S2, you're gonna have a bad time.

well you could play Necalli as a grappler too but that doesn't make him one

he was a grappler in 3S yeah. maybe he ain't learned the grab CA yet? his grab CA was kind of shit in SF3 tho
Kind of? You couldn't combo into it and it could be jumped away from after the super flash. If Gief's CA worked the same way in SFV he'd permanently be the undisputed worst character of the game lol.

FluxWaveZ

well you could play Necalli as a grappler too but that doesn't make him one

But there's a reason that Alex's power bomb is 6f of startup and Necalli's is 8f. His command grab only becomes a real part of his mixup when you've been cornered (literally and also when he's on top of you on KD). But it's not a fundamental part of his mixup game; he relies much more on frame traps. Alex's flow is that which relies on the power bomb and the head crush to make the opponents jump or backdash, or land them if they decide to not move.

Like, we agree that Laura and Mika are grapplers, right? What makes Alex less of a grappler than they are? What of Zangief or Birdie?

ElFly

the reason is he ain't a grappler

Mika and Gief have 5 frames of startup on their grabs, same as all other non CA grabs

Birdie also has shitty grabs (tho faster than Alex); yeah he can mix them up but in the end you gotta rely more on his other moves

Kind of? You couldn't combo into it and it could be jumped away from after the super flash. If Gief's CA worked the same way in SFV he'd permanently be the undisputed worst character of the game lol.

I think they tried to balance the fact that it wasn't a 720 like Gief's or, later on, Hugo

but they also killed a lot of its utility

FluxWaveZ

the reason is he ain't a grappler

Mika and Gief have 5 frames of startup on their grabs, same as all other non CA grabs

But if the issue is the startup, what about S1 Laura?

I dunno, I don't really agree with this, and I'm going to continue facing Alex while keeping in mind that he's a grappler. Because otherwise I get killed for it by eating 2, 3 dash-in command grabs in a row or getting stunned by EX Head Crushes. The Alex's I go against have started implementing regular Head Crushes more often, too, since you won't have the time to punish it in a reset if you jump back.

Onemic

<3 Akuma

Somehow Capcom decided to really make this character for me in SFV. Good thing because without him I wouldnt be playing this game.

I think they tried to balance the fact that it wasn't a 720 like Gief's or, later on, Hugo

but they also killed a lot of its utility
They killed it outright. Not making boomerang raid move him forward more in 3S killed some of it's utility at less than point blank range, but making it so the opponent can jump away from his hyper bomb entirely made it useless outside of GGPO for the most part.

I dunno, I don't really agree with this, and I'm going to continue facing Alex while keeping in mind that he's a grappler. Because otherwise I get killed for it by eating 2, 3 dash-in command grabs in a row or getting stunned by EX Head Crushes. The Alex's I go against have started implementing regular Head Crushes more often, too, since you won't have the time to punish it in a reset if you jump back.
I can actually understand why Capcom doesn't want to give his stomps an air hitbox nowadays. Between stun gun headbutt having significantly faster recovery (and safeness in the corner) and an air dominating stomp he'd be just as big a pain in the ass in the corner as Mika or Laura. He'd have safe stun guns, tick/walk up throws/command grabs, safe EX stomps that stop you from jumping AND f.HP meaty setups in the corner. May as well be telling someone to pick randomly from a bag of poisonous animals.

ElFly

I _guess_ that they noticed that 6f of startup for her grabs was shitty for a grappler and leveled her with Gief and Mika? do notice the same courtesy was not extended to Alex

dunno honestly. yeah I have to be mindful of his headbutt but his powerbomb is still p bad compared to my SPD in every way. Air Knee being a grab doesn't matter too much since I cannot block in the Air anyway. it does not work like other air grabs in that you can do them in the air and thus effecting the air to air combat. It has to be done from land and its main use is either comboing after the proper AA, or punishing a jumper in a mixup (where it ain't that different from other AAs). it is basically a shoryuken that cannot hit landed people

honestly the main argument for this is the headbutt but ain't enough for me. feel the proper Alex play style is mixing up attacks with -some- grabs, but you cannot go heavy in the grabs cause they ain't that good, and your end game is his powerful punches.

do note his V-Skill emphasizes hitting, his V-trigger is kind of a parry for eating and punishing attacks and his CA is blockable. nothing there says 'grappler'

yes when facing his mixup you have to be aware of two grabs, but they ain't his end game, rarely are his main source of damage, aren't what you should be scared the most of, his tools are there to make his attacks more powerful

Didn't see it mentioned, but it looks like Capcom has reaffirmed their commitment to improving the network infrastructure in an update posted to the Japanese CFN website:
Happy new year everyone, congratulations! It is Matsumoto.

Last time I was indebted to you!

Although it only did not arrive, I was able to celebrate 2017 with the support of fans, users and players.

I really appreciate it.

We are committed to improving our network so that we can enjoy playing happily more comfortably this year than last year, we appreciate your kind understanding.

In addition!

This year is the 30th anniversary year of the Street Fighter series! It is!
We are preparing what you can enjoy,
Please look forward to it!
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131356

This is translated using Google Translate, so caveat emptor.

Kind of? You couldn't combo into it and it could be jumped away from after the super flash.

Well, you couldn't CONFIRM into it, at least.

You could definitely combo into it after mp and hp chop, though.

My all time favorite Alex super is the 5 backdrop suplexes in a row. I wish his EX backdrop in SF5 was the 5 suplexes (even if it did the same damage as now).

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ono also mentioned in an interview some sort of "good news" regarding the servers in the future. So, I don't think they're just blowing smoke...

Improving Network should have been the priority since the game came out and took them this long to say something.

They need to add a lobby in Matchmaking. I don't know why people would rather deal with lag switchers/Alt-tabbing, RQ, McDonalds Wifi and FM farmers then preventing to play against these people. Also resetting the leader board would make these players to go back to their ranks much harder. And region restricting like every normal video game that has online multiplayer and not face someone from Cambodia.

But in reality they will say more maintenance and sweep the real issues under the rug

Necalli's dunk switched to kicks has messed my brain up, no likey.

Any real reason other than other grapplers having the same input?

Any real reason other than other grapplers having the same input?
When his command grab,DP and charge move were linked to the same button, the wrong move often came out in cross up situations particularly when they're trying to late DP a crossup attempt.

Juri had something similar with her DP being changed to punch so that a DP doesn't come out if you wanted to do a qcf+k move.

Improving Network should have been the priority since the game came out and took them this long to say something.

They need to add a lobby in Matchmaking. I don't know why people would rather deal with lag switchers/Alt-tabbing, RQ, McDonalds Wifi and FM farmers then preventing to play against these people. Also resetting the leader board would make these players to go back to their ranks much harder. And region restricting like every normal video game that has online multiplayer and not face someone from Cambodia.

But in reality they will say more maintenance and sweep the real issues under the rug.

Idk man Capcom has shown to be at least listening to the community. They added in 2/3 in ranked and casual, and created a dlc bundle for holiday stuff. Even changed Capcom Cup to 3/5. And its not like this is the first time they've admitted to network/server issues.
I think they can only go up from here.

And if not... Tekken 7 release date to be announced soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom