• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akuma destroys the shipwreck he was standing on underwater. He doesn't murder anybody.

Contact is lost with the submarine, apparently after Akuma impacts the sunken vessel with enough force to launch it it from the ocean bed to the surface. Not only is the destruction of the research vessel suggested by its silence, but what do to think being close to the epicenter of such a force would do to that research vessel? It would be akin to being hit by a torpedo.

It's the context of why he'd be given a kid in comparison to his character. For example, you'd never see Bison with a kid on his back trying to protect a kid in a fight but you'd be able to see Akuma, Sagat, Piccolo from DBZ, characters like that would be able to do it. Them having Akuma do that would show more of who he is as a person which, given what it is, is far from "being evil." And I agree with the other poster, just because he's destructive doesn't mean he's evil. Godzilla is different from Akuma as well.

Even if it's a fighting game, the lore if important to a great amount of fans. Same with other lore in other fighters like Tekken and MK. Just fleshes out the characters and makes you become bigger fans of them. As dope as the gameplay is, if you give a story to the universe it makes everything as a whole have a great identity. That's one reason why people hold a lot of fighters in a great regard. I think the gameplay + identity mix is perfect. Like the visuals and all that, you know what I mean.

That's one reason why I loved 3rd Strike so much. It had dope gameplay but also a unique style, music and just overall feel for it. You combine that with the stories and visuals and man it just sticks out.
This recent combo video exhibition made me nostalgic for 3S. Such cool art and music in that game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afB02tqhKbA

Ucchedavāda;227474717 said:
Contact is lost with the submarine, apparently after Akuma impacts the sunken vessel with enough force to launch it it from the ocean bed to the surface. Not only is the destruction of the research vessel suggested by its silence, but what do to think being close to the epicenter of such a force would do to that research vessel? It would be akin to being hit by a torpedo.

If I'm treating this scenario as a realistic one, my answer would be that radio communication with a submerged submarine, especially at that depth, is incredibly difficult due to how hard it is for radio waves to travel through sea water. If they were actually communicating at a depth at 150 meters, they would need to have either an antennae running up to the surface or be stopped at some sort of relay station with a link to the surface. From the clip we can clearly see that there is no relay, so we have to assume that they've run some sort of antennae up to the surface. In my opinion, the likelihood of their already tenuous radio transmission being cut off by interference from the force of Akuma's attack on the shipwreck is quite high, meaning there's no real indication that anything happened to the submarine itself.

We have no frame of reference for how close the surface vessel is to the shipwreck site, so there's no real way we can say that the sailors on board are affected. In fact, from what we can see of the wreck being launched out of the water, the surface vessel is not in frame at all, indicating that there is some distance between them.

The last claim is the trickiest to deal with, for a few reasons. The first is that we know nothing about the condition of the wreck, what materials it is made of, or how much force Akuma can exert. It's hard to make a guess due to the fact that there is no frame of reference I can find for a shipwreck being jettisoned out of the water in such a way. The other reason this one is difficult to deal with is that you're asking what the actual affect would be of a cartoon demon karate man, who is standing on a shipwreck 150 meters below sea level (which would involve pressure nearly 16 times that of the Earth's surface), with no protective equipment or air supply, kicking a shipwreck so hard that it explodes and is launched out of the water. Would it be similar to the affect of a torpedo? I don't know, because we are talking about an undersea demon karate man kicking a boat so hard it explodes, and I'm not sure any real world physics can apply here.

cordy

Banned
This recent combo video exhibition made me nostalgic for 3S. Such cool art and music in that game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afB02tqhKbA

Amazing combo video. I'm still watching as I type and man, it makes you want to go back and replay the game. I think I might do that. It just had a unique style to it that's very rare for fighters.
Ucchedavāda;227474717 said:

You straight up said in your first post about this that Akuma was "(attempting to) murder random marine scientists and the sailors working with them" when the reality was that he wasn't, he was attacking a sunken shipwreck which no one was on. The reality of this situation is that you were straight wrong in those regards. Come on now, let's not kid ourselves here.

What happened, according to the ending, is that Akuma started his move and then in the next scene we see guys talking about why they don't hear anything from the rest of the crew and then the next scene the shipwreck (and Akuma) come from the water. What likely happened is the force of Akuma and the whipwreck destroyed the antennae/sonar/any communication they had given what was traveling. Anything afterwards, such as them being killed, isn't hinted. That's your assumption at this point and a "well that could have happened", it wasn't really the purpose of what he did.

What it boils down to is that Akuma wasn't trying to kill anyone. If anyone died in that case it was by the force of the ship, it wasn't his intention. People stating that just misunderstood the ending and assumed Akuma went crashing into the ship the others were on when really, that just didn't happen.
If I'm treating this scenario as a realistic one, my answer would be that radio communication with a submerged submarine, especially at that depth, is incredibly difficult due to how hard it is for radio waves to travel through sea water. If they were actually communicating at a depth at 150 meters, they would need to have either an antennae running up to the surface or be stopped at some sort of relay station with a link to the surface. From the clip we can clearly see that there is no relay, so we have to assume that they've run some sort of antennae up to the surface. In my opinion, the likelihood of their already tenuous radio transmission being cut off by interference from the force of Akuma's attack on the shipwreck is quite high, meaning there's no real indication that anything happened to the submarine itself.

We have no frame of reference for how close the surface vessel is to the shipwreck site, so there's no real way we can say that the sailors on board are affected. In fact, from what we can see of the wreck being launched out of the water, the surface vessel is not in frame at all, indicating that there is some distance between them.

The last claim is the trickiest to deal with, for a few reasons. The first is that we know nothing about the condition of the wreck, what materials it is made of, or how much force Akuma can exert. It's hard to make a guess due to the fact that there is no frame of reference I can find for a shipwreck being jettisoned out of the water in such a way. The other reason this one is difficult to deal with is that you're asking what the actual affect would be of a cartoon demon karate man, who is standing on a shipwreck 150 meters below sea level (which would involve pressure nearly 16 times that of the Earth's surface), with no protective equipment or air supply, kicking a shipwreck so hard that it explodes and is launched out of the water. Would it be similar to the affect of a torpedo? I don't know, because we are talking about an undersea demon karate man kicking a boat so hard it explodes, and I'm not sure any real world physics can apply here.

Yep that's exactly the conclusion I came up with. Exactly.

Chuns cr.lp>st.mp>cr.mk>mk SBK is tough. I havent actually done it once yet.
Also, Capcoms servers continue to suck in Sydney. Normally its only at night that they wont let me connect. Now its early afternoon and I cant get on.

New002

Hmmm...Just got matched up with the same player 3 times in a row in ranked and they were beating me pretty handily. But why Capcom? Why?? Break time lol.

Firstly, you are mistaken about the depth of the sunken vessel. The research sub-marine reports that there is "150m to the destination", which is of course wholly uninformative about the submarine's current depth and heading. The drawing appears to suggest mostly horizontal movement, rather than vertical movement. The name of the submarine itself, "Deep Sea 3000", indicates that the artists wanted to represent something occurring in the deep sea, which would be around 1,800 meters or more below the surface, which also matches the fact that the sunken vessel is apparently completely shrouded in darkness. This of course conflicts with the ability of the surface vessel to easily contact the submarine, as you indicate, which could suggest a much lower depth, but it could simply be that the artists / writers are not scientifically literate (and they rarely are).

The distance to the vessel is not known, but given the extend to which visible light is absorbed by sea water, it could not have been far from the site of the sunken vessel. Combined with the fact that we are dealing with a force sufficient to launch a large (based relative size of Akuma to the vessel) metal vessel from the ocean bed to the surface, through hundreds thousands of meters of water, breaking it apart in the process, any other vessel close by would be greatly imperilled by the shock-wave resulting from the force of the impact.

The best you can argue is that Akuma might only have recklessly endangered the scientists and sailors on board the research vessel, instead of outright killing them, but that hardly refutes my initial point.

EDIT: Last post, too durnk.

mbpm1

that is so much more hype than SFV's story :(

tumblr_o60uwtIAaO1sibomdo1_1280.gif

Pompadour

Fighting game lore is better than other games lore, just like how fighting games are better than other games

Kappa

Fighting game lore is only good when it's incredibly vague so you can imagine it's more interesting than it actually is. Cinematic fighting game story modes are ruining that.

JayEH

Fighting game lore is only good when it's incredibly vague so you can imagine it's more interesting than it actually is. Cinematic fighting game story modes are ruining that.

I agree 100%. It's also fun piecing things together from different people's ending to find out the full story.

LakeEarth

that is so much more hype than SFV's story :(
But SFVs story is so deep! Nash comes back from the dead to fail at everything, and in the end sacrifices himself to cause an explosion so large that it doesn't visibly hurt Bison at all. Meanwhile, the huge influx of fighters awaken an ancient force known as Necalli, who challenges random fighters, loses nearly every fight, and runs away having no impact on the main story whatsoever.

VariantX

But SFVs story is so deep! Nash comes back from the dead to fail at everything, and in the end sacrifices himself to cause an explosion so large that it doesn't visibly hurt Bison at all. Meanwhile, the huge influx of fighters awaken an ancient force known as Necalli, who challenges random fighters, loses nearly every fight, and runs away having no impact on the main story whatsoever.

Yeah, what was even the point of resurrecting a long dead character if he was going to do nothing. It would have been better to have push up the angle that 11/Nash was just a means to an end for the Illuminati of gathering data on how to remove the flaws in their weapon designs and sending him off against Shadaloo would be killing 2 birds with one stone, but they didn't do that from that angle, It's barely touched upon with Urien's backstory. Instead they focus on Nash being completely obsessed with revenge and wanting to go it alone to the point of absurdity without at least letting him explain himself with a line or two since it runs completely counter to his character in the prologue as he admonishes younger Chun-Li for doing the same thing. I mean for god's sake, Bison and alot of other characters have story costumes that NEVER get used in the damn story. Necalli is built up to be a insatiable force of nature that cannot be stopped, and he proceeds to continuously get bodied by everyone he runs into. What the hell happened in this generation of fighters that suddenly make a guy like that into nothing but a bugaboo who jobs to everyone and everything? Laura is just...there... for like a second or two. Rashid and F.A.N.G. at least get some development...mostly Rashid as all of F.A.N.G's development happens in his prologue and he's just acting on his obsession with Bison.

ElFly

But SFVs story is so deep! Nash comes back from the dead to fail at everything, and in the end sacrifices himself to cause an explosion so large that it doesn't visibly hurt Bison at all.

this last thing is so stupid

the game includes a bison skin where he has his clothes destroyed but noooo

Pompadour

That's what was really awful about the Street Fighter story mode. They couldn't even follow the anime playbook and have Nash sacrifice himself to turn Bison into his story mode alt so Guile could scream "Charlie!" and get a revenge fight. Then Necalli eats Bison and Ryu fights Super Necalli.

FluxWaveZ

The more I think about it, the more I think that the good parts of SFV's story mode is the craziness and it should have been more about that then anything serious.

Beating up a cop, Nash being a jobber, Juri going from Brazil to London in one cutscene on a motorcycle and saying "I think we've lost them," Nash staring intently at a talking sheep, Laura being dumb, etc.

It should have just laid into the stupidity.

Grakl

The more I think about it, the more I think that the good parts of SFV's story mode is the craziness and it should have been more about that then anything serious.

Beating up a cop, Nash being a jobber, Juri going from Brazil to London in one cutscene on a motorcycle and saying "I think we've lost them," Nash staring intently at a talking sheep, Laura being dumb, etc.

It should have just laid into the stupidity.

I feel like it did tho, especially with zangief

Pompadour

SFV story > MKX story

Johnny and Cassie Cage was the saving grace of MKX.

No kappa, I legit just enjoyed SFV's more.

MKX's story mode was a much better realized version of SFV's story but this whole style of story mode is complete garbage for fighting games. Fighters are about picking the character that resonates with you and the story modes often sideline many characters to being fodder for the boring main characters.

Grifter

I'll be on for bit longer, so whenever you wanna play just invite.

GGs! Had to pop out of that middle set because rollbacks got bad so I went around shutting stuff off. Spotted ways during our games to incorporate command normals and the various fireballs for next time too!

Fun match cuz we're both stubby and glassy.

MKX's story mode was a much better realized version of SFV's story but this whole style of story mode is complete garbage for fighting games. Fighters are about picking the character that resonates with you and the story modes often sideline many characters to being fodder for the boring main characters.

MK is the exception because it has always been story/lore first. It just so happened that with MK9, the reboot helped them out because they wanted to make a good game at the same time.

It goes without saying, but MK9/X >>>>>>>>> SF5's fucking terrible story mode. It wasn't even good enough to loop around to being bad, it was just BAD bad like the live-action Street Fighter movie.

GGs! Had to pop out of that middle set because rollbacks got bad so I went around shutting stuff off. Spotted ways during our games to incorporate command normals and the various fireballs for next time too!

Fun match cuz we're both stubby and glassy.

Yeah the set on Bison's stage had some bad rollback. I definitely noticed once I started to tech throws, you started catching me with fhp and shimmys.

I wanna see some raging demon setups next time! It's mandatory for Akuma players lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom