• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
When both his command grab,DP and charge move were linked to the same button, the wrong move often came out in cross up situations, particularly when they're trying to late DP a crossup attempt.

Never happened to me. The only time this would happen was with Birdie because of his special being a fireball motion and would some time get his throw on cross up.

leroidys

he was a grappler in 3S yeah. maybe he ain't learned the grab CA yet? his grab CA was kind of shit in SF3 tho

well you could play Necalli as a grappler too but that doesn't make him one

This just comes down to personal terminology, but I don't see him as a grappler in 3S. He was an attempt to synthesize all styles/tools into one character. Grappler/charge/motion/footsy/pressure/mixup character all rolled into one.

LtWWke2.jpg

yes
This reinforced my belief that there's a second update to SFV this year for the anniversary. The UI and qol changes were too weak for S2 to be everything they've got.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227504886]This reinforced my belief that there's a second update to SFV this year for the anniversary. The UI and qol changes were too weak for S2 to be everything they've got.[/QUOTE]

Capcom updates this game every month, just about. QoL shit will be with each character, probably, so I don't see them waiting until Sept to throw more things like that on us.

Skilletor

This just comes down to personal terminology, but I don't see him as a grappler in 3S. He was an attempt to synthesize all styles/tools into one character. Grappler/charge/motion/footsy/pressure/mixup character all rolled into one.

Yeah, same. Hugo is the only grappler in 3s.

Yeah, same. Hugo is the only grappler in 3s.

Agreed. I never played Alex as a traditional grappler in 3S. Hugo was the go to if you wanted to play a grappler.

That's one reason I feel like Alex isn't good in this game as he needs to feel more like necalli to be effective by having good, not necessarily great, tools for all situations. He just kind of feels like grappler "lite" right now.

But then again Alex had always been considered pretty low tier in all his iterations so maybe it's just the idea of him as a character that doesn't work well in SF. I still enjoy playing as him even if it is an uphill battle.

ElFly

Improving Network should have been the priority since the game came out and took them this long to say something.

They need to add a lobby in Matchmaking. I don't know why people would rather deal with lag switchers/Alt-tabbing, RQ, McDonalds Wifi and FM farmers then preventing to play against these people. Also resetting the leader board would make these players to go back to their ranks much harder. And region restricting like every normal video game that has online multiplayer and not face someone from Cambodia.

But in reality they will say more maintenance and sweep the real issues under the rug

I liked the theory that the contract with the shitty mobile company in charge of the MM servers is gonna expire soon and they ain't renewing it

edit: Nettention

maybe because the contract was for a year only or something?

jett

D-Member
Improving Network should have been the priority since the game came out and took them this long to say something.

They need to add a lobby in Matchmaking. I don't know why people would rather deal with lag switchers/Alt-tabbing, RQ, McDonalds Wifi and FM farmers then preventing to play against these people. Also resetting the leader board would make these players to go back to their ranks much harder. And region restricting like every normal video game that has online multiplayer and not face someone from Cambodia.

But in reality they will say more maintenance and sweep the real issues under the rug

Any real reason other than other grapplers having the same input?

They haven't "Improved" the network in nine months. I'll believe it when I see it.

LakeEarth

They killed it outright. Not making boomerang raid move him forward more in 3S killed some of it's utility at less than point blank range, but making it so the opponent can jump away from his hyper bomb entirely made it useless outside of GGPO for the most part.
You could nail people who empty jumped a lot. If you activated it right as they were going to land, they couldn't jump out. Still, it was pretty much exclusively a punishment super, which isn't useful after a certain skill level.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Figured I'd try Survival Extreme spamming Knee with Urien.

I'm at stage 51. I couldn't even beat hard with my main. Help.

I've beat Survival Extreme with both Ken and Ryu. Just spam MP shoryuken and make sure that network fights are turned on so that you can jump into a match if you get desperate.

I don't really have too much of a problem with this. Nemo is a crazy good player so I attribute some of this to him. Wonder how RB's Urien is shap8ng up right now.

He uses fully stocked resources off a counter hit cr.mk and a reset to get this damage against a low stun/health character all while in the corner. I am not opposed to some slight tweaks though.

It's not like Cammy isn't any less "cheap" in this game. I am sure plenty of people feel Cammy is better than Urien.

Nothing he couldn't really do in S1. Aegis settings are crazy.

I feel like people wrote off Urien too quickly in S1 without actually putting in time with him. I dont feel like Urien's buffs in S2 drastically changed him as a character. If anything they can just get him back down to 1k health and he will be more than fine IMO.

In a dream world I'd love for him to get his special cancel cr.mk back from his story mode release but that'd make more people go even crazier than they are now.

This seems to be a recurring thing in this game.

"This character is going to be low mid tier at best. Normals are trash, no invincible reversal, needs to work hard to get in, relies too much on meter." - random player on Day 3.

Except this isn't the first time they "said something".

And, they've been improving online bit by bit since release. SF5 online now is definitely not SF5 in February 2016.

BTW, it took NRS an entire year to fix MKX's vanilla netcode, which couldn't hold a candle to SF5's vanilla netcode. That's with a huge Warner Brothers budget and big sales. So, something tells me "improving network" isn't something you can quickly do just by "trying real hard" like Rock Lee.

kobu

I feel like people wrote off Urien too quickly in S1 without actually putting in time with him. I dont feel like Urien's buffs in S2 drastically changed him as a character. If anything they can just get him back down to 1k health and he will be more than fine IMO.

In a dream world I'd love for him to get his special cancel cr.mk back from his story mode release but that'd make more people go even crazier than they are now.

This seems to be a recurring thing in this game.

"This character is going to be low mid tier at best. Normals are trash, no invincible reversal, needs to work hard to get in, relies too much on meter." - random player on Day 3.

If Urien could special cancel his cr.mk it would mean no one working on the game has any idea what they're doing.

Well, you couldn't CONFIRM into it, at least.

You could definitely combo into it after mp and hp chop, though.

My all time favorite Alex super is the 5 backdrop suplexes in a row. I wish his EX backdrop in SF5 was the 5 suplexes (even if it did the same damage as now).
I forgot bout those confirms and I also miss his extra suplexes. Honestly, he should have at least two different versions in SFV. It is not uncommon for some character's specials to change in V-Trigger state in this game, so I feel like it was a missed opportunity to give his EX headbutt multiple headbutts (like stun gun in 3S) and to give his back drop another couple of suplexes. It's not like his V-Trigger is anything special right now. All he gets is a combo extender move and a parry. -_-
Agreed. I never played Alex as a traditional grappler in 3S. Hugo was the go to if you wanted to play a grappler.

That's one reason I feel like Alex isn't good in this game as he needs to feel more like necalli to be effective by having good, not necessarily great, tools for all situations. He just kind of feels like grappler "lite" right now.

But then again Alex had always been considered pretty low tier in all his iterations so maybe it's just the idea of him as a character that doesn't work well in SF. I still enjoy playing as him even if it is an uphill battle.
Capcom gave him tons of tools in 3S, but most of them were mediocre (except stomps, that was the only truly amazing tool he's ever had. If they just weren't afraid of making him OP they'd make a pretty strong character. His AKS was made to be a traditional DP with at least some sort of invul, spiral DDT could be so much better like Birdie's EX dive, his current EX slash elbow is the best it's ever been with that armor, his powerbombs only need a bit more range and he has always had some standout medium buttons that have been begging for special cancels for more than a decade.
You could nail people who empty jumped a lot. If you activated it right as they were going to land, they couldn't jump out. Still, it was pretty much exclusively a punishment super, which isn't useful after a certain skill level.
I only picked hyper bomb SA against newbies in the 3S lobby since they were the only guys who'd try to press a button after a successful overhead lol. Nothing worse than getting hit by overhead st.HP AND hyper bomb afterwards. It was a crush counter before the concept even existed lol.

If Urien could special cancel his cr.mk it would mean no one working on the game has any idea what they're doing.

He was able to when story mode was first released. I played with him like that on PC for a few months before his official release. It was fun.

I forgot bout those confirms and I also miss his extra suplexes. Honestly, he should have at least two different versions in SFV. It is not uncommon for some character's specials to change in V-Trigger state in this game, so I feel like it was a missed opportunity to give his EX headbutt multiple headbutts (like stun gun in 3S) and to give his back drop another couple of suplexes. It's not like his V-Trigger is anything special right now. All he gets is a combo extender move and a parry. -_-

Capcom gave him tons of tools in 3S, but most of them were mediocre (except stomps, that was the only truly amazing tool he's ever had. If they just weren't afraid of making him OP they'd make a pretty strong character. His AKS was made to be a traditional DP with at least some sort of invul, spiral DDT could be so much better like Birdie's EX dive, his current EX slash elbow is the best it's ever been with that armor, his powerbombs only need a bit more range and he has always had some standout medium buttons that have been begging for special cancels for more than a decade.

I only picked hyper bomb SA against newbies in the 3S lobby since they were the only guys who'd try to press a button after a successful overhead lol. Nothing worse than getting hit by overhead st.HP AND hyper bomb afterwards. It was a crush counter before the concept even existed lol.

Agreed. I wish he could get at least one new normal that can be special canceled in exchange for slightly reduced range. A small increase on his power bombs would be welcome too. I love his new elbow slash and the armor has helped a ton but I feel he needs at least some of what you mentioned to be a strong character. With a roster this small SFV needs to stop worrying about making characters OP and give everyone tools they need to succeed.

Mizerman

Well, you couldn't CONFIRM into it, at least.

You could definitely combo into it after mp and hp chop, though.

My all time favorite Alex super is the 5 backdrop suplexes in a row. I wish his EX backdrop in SF5 was the 5 suplexes (even if it did the same damage as now).

I wish they brought that back. Seeing those multiple backdrops in SFV would've been awesome.

Ah well.

kobu

He was able to when story mode was first released. I played with him like that on PC for a few months before his official release. It was fun.

It didn't make it into the official release for a reason. If they gave that back to him you would not like the nerfs that would come with it.

Daigo stream in 3 hours. Daigo is going to talk with chat about 2017. There will also be the matchup between Machabo and Crusher. If Machabo wins, he gets $50 so long as he chooses to take the money. Otherwise he can try to double up and win $100 at next week's beastv. If Crusher wins, he takes over Machabo's spot.

They will also be doing a 25k lp 8 man tournament to decide Machabo or Crusher's next opponent.

ElFly

the only explanation for both incarnations of Alex is that they thought he would be OP unless he had heavy checks

just trying it back when he was released I was astonished by how few normals combined at all. he just has too many tools so they may have the -somewhat reasonable- fear of him being too much

but the S2 nerfs are kind of doubling down on the fear when nothing in S1 suggested he was even good

ElFly

Hey man bodying people in gold rank, but can't seem to get to platinum. :(

just got kicked back to Super Silver after flying too high in Ultra Silver

at that height the cheap akuma wins ran out :(

not to be replaced by good akumas, anyway, just spitefuls Uriens

Sheroking

I would guess PR Rog and Justin have similar reasons for leaving.

Rog said that by marketing himself to sponsors, instead of letting a team get him sponsors, there's more upside for him financially. He said he thought teams were better for people trying to make a name for themselves.

Justin and Rog both intend to travel and compete a lot in 2017 because their jobs let them.

Huh interesting. I know Rog said he was leaving because he wanted to build his own sponsorships up. I guess the others are big enough as well to go solo.

Choco and Momo are big in Japan. Choco gets interviewed about the FGC all the time, and she's basically the face of females of fighting games IIRC. Momo places high as fuck in tournaments and is still an EVO champ. Both have a fighting game school they run where their students are pulling in results.

When I read about it, I thought they were getting dropped, but it wouldn't matter either way.

ElFly

Choco does tons of shit for FGC in Japan. She manages/markets a lot of stuff. She is not just a stay at home mom

what the fuck I didn't know she was married to Momochi

obvs I don't pay enough attention to this stuff. this is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom