• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hi guys, I need help. I'm having difficulties completing Survival in normal with a lot of characters and I'd really like to unlock Juri! I've completed the mode will all shotos, Cammy and Rashid. Anytime I tried with other characters, Nash Necalli and Bison wreck me in the last stages. So I'm shamelessly asking GAF, are there any other character with a spammable move that can make me complete Survival in normal? I think I need to complete it at least 5 more times to have enough FM to unlock Juri. Thanks!

Do you have Guile unlocked? I recall having an easy time beating normal survival with him. His vskill sonic booms are great for keeping stage 30 Bison pinned down.

FACE

Banned
No but he could still combo cr. HP single juggle into whatever after throwing someone into aegis. Still the same concept. The multiple juggle cr. HP thing is a byproduct of his anti air buffs, which were needed IMO.

I think him having more combo potential with his cr. HP is fine, since they did take away his optimal headbutt loop combos. Reasonable trade off :p

Ah that's cool, I've only ever seen people do resets or combo into super after a throw.

And faced Wolfkrone. Almost got the first game until the Laura bullshit came in. It's funny, people hated Mika and now Laura. And I suggested that they maybe bring back Iframes but you guys say no that's stupid and continue to talk about how you guys hate these characters.

Moaradin

C1L8wiJXUAAsgEh.jpg:large

Been making good progress the last few days in ranked. Urien is such a blast to play.

And faced Wolfkrone. Almost got the first game until the Laura bullshit came in. It's funny, people hated Mika and now Laura. And I suggested that they maybe bring back Iframes but you guys say no that's stupid and continue to talk about how you guys hate these characters.

I have never had an issue with those characters. Plus if you learn what they can do you can get plenty of chances to turn the tables. Sure its still a guessing game half the time but it is againt most characters really. Its just a bigger part of their game than non grapplers.

Anyway gief is easily the scariest grapler now. And it never bothers me. I find something utterly entertaining when gief wrecks me. It suits him.

FluxWaveZ

Ggs flux....

That Guile set was pretty intense lol...SUPER FOOTSIES!!!

GGs. The weakest part of my game is defense by far. Anti-airing, blocking jump-ins on the right side, blocking consistently... it's so hard. I need to find some way to improve this.

Any place you post for me to check out some of your Urien vids? Really looking for more resources on Urien. Needing some setups across the board for the guy.

You can just look at every match he's played online through his CFN ID.

oh wow...just read the stuff with flash Metroid, I play him a few times in ranked as well. Mika has some derpy stuff, for sure, but so did a lot of characters. If you play Flux in a set you'll know he doesn't just rely on gimmicks to win matches, he's a fellow student of SF.

Man...I kinda looked up to anyone 'known" in the FGC a bit, and now I realize most of them are just a bunch of losers who happen to be good at a video game. What a piece of shit. Furthering my determination to stay as far away as possible from this toxic, juvenile, immature FGC.

I even hit Flash up multiple times asking for a set after a good ranked match because I wanted to play a solid Vega. No response from him or from Nuckledu. Damdai at least messaged me back and played a few sets with me b4, but most of these guys are corny. Overgrown adolescents too afraid to talk to women so they have to grope and harass the few they see in the FGC events.

Pathetic....

Rant ovrer

MrCarter

Apart from a few individuals I do think the majority of the FGC in the SF community are very cool and I don't think we should tar everyone with the same brush due to the actions of one particular person. Valle, LPN, LI Joe, YIPES, K-Brad are all very respectful and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Well thats embarresing. Just used that twitter account to see my stats. Comes back OmegaTreeFish not found? Check my account. I spelt it Omaga by accident lol. Derp.

GGs. The weakest part of my game is defense by far. Anti-airing, blocking jump-ins on the right side, blocking consistently... it's so hard. I need to find some way to improve this..
Well playing Charge characters will certainly improve your defense. But there's different layers to it as well.

You have to zone and control space with a strategy in mind, for example, I know Guiles in general like to walk back and boom, so I maybe looking for that boom on your walk back. Even if I don't get a jump-in, I closed distance, and Guiles probably wants most opponents to be further away

Guiles also like to crouch block, so that's why I overhead a lot in the matchup, you have to punish it more to deter the use of Ken's overhead, he has two.

That's what I mean there's more layers to it. Some opponents will keep weighing out the options and if you're just sticking them with a normal AA and nothing else, they probably are going to keep jumping lol. That was solid stat to go for the throw after Guile's c.HP hit.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I did keep both of those in mind during the set, actually, but I find it so hard to actually execute even though I kept telling myself "look for the jump-in, 'cause it's always going to happen." Might just be that I'm not too used to Guile's normals since I haven't played much of him in S2, but it's also hard to just react appropriately with my mains.

Reacting to a jump with a good AA, not throw teching at the wrong moment, not pressing buttons at the wrong moment... it's really hard for me. Might just have to focus on defense specifically for my matches in the near future just to see if I can fix some of these issues.

oh wow...just read the stuff with flash Metroid, I play him a few times in ranked as well. Mika has some derpy stuff, for sure, but so did a lot of characters. If you play Flux in a set you'll know he doesn't just rely on gimmicks to win matches, he's a fellow student of SF.

Man...I kinda looked up to anyone 'known" in the FGC a bit, and now I realize most of them are just a bunch of losers who happen to be good at a video game. What a piece of shit. Furthering my determination to stay as far away as possible from this toxic, juvenile, immature FGC.

I even hit Flash up multiple times asking for a set after a good ranked match because I wanted to play a solid Vega. No response from him or from Nuckledu. Damdai at least messaged me back and played a few sets with me b4, but most of these guys are corny. Overgrown adolescents too afraid to talk to women so they have to grope and harass the few they see in the FGC events.

Pathetic....

Rant ovrer

See, that's not fair. There's a lot of people who put in time and effort into building this community. Xian literally responses to everyone on Twitter, people like Mike Ross and Gootecks strive to keep shit together for even new players, James Chen is constantly retweeting even the smallest of combo videos and events, and people like Yipes and co. are amazing in and out of person.

I mean, they are all human beings. You get some in a group, and a select few are going to be assholes. That's like with literally everything and getting all general diminishes the work of the good ones.

And as for responses, like they probably get hundreds a day. With life and responsibilities, they aren't going to respond to literally every single one of them. I've met up with LI Joe, Ricki, KBrad, and Art, and a few others at PAX. They were nothing but nice. Valle and Xian talk to me on Twitter all the time.

Don't let some well known shitlord ruin it for you. We are all part of the FGC, even the people in NeoGAF. Obviously we aren't shitlords or mean, but we do have a few people who could stand to be less trollish. Does that make NeoGAF garbage then?

It just rubs me the wrong way to see people call the FGC toxic when it has, for the most part, been the opposite. I feel you on getting games from the pros, but you aren't the only one pinging them.

mooncakes

I am really struggling in this game now. I aint gonna lie, I can't derp with Mika like I use too. I also play Ibuki as well but she is too honest in this game.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you play sf5 in a week? For me, I play about 2-3 hours a week.

I am really struggling in this game now. I aint gonna lie, I can't derp with Mika like I use too. I also play Ibuki as well but she is too honest in this game.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you play sf5 in a week?

An hour a day. Half an hour of online fights, another half of training mode. I need to up it tbh.

Conversely I spend more time talking about the goddamn game than playing it the past few weeks.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you play sf5 in a week? For me, I play about 2-3 hours a week.

At the moment maybe 6-10 hours a week. I will
Norm play an hour 6 nights a week before doing something else. Sometimes 90 mins.

In what ways are you struggling? Are you a higher rank player?

Im going to try some mika out again. Havnt played her in ages but pratting about with her in training earlier i think she is still fun to play. Cant just clap to win like before. Corner is basically the same and midscreen you just have to use mp > hp > flying peach to corner carry instead. No invinsible normal dps is a buff for her as well.

Just from training with ryu set to dp on wake up i worked out you can combo into flying peech then dash and either throw, tech throw, lp or mp and stuff their attack. You can basically 50/50 them into the corner. Then let the blender wirl.

mooncakes

At the moment maybe 6-10 hours a week. I will
Norm play an hour 6 nights a week before doing something else. Sometimes 90 mins.

In what ways are you struggling? Are you a higher rank player?

I always hover around Gold Rank. I think I am struggling because of the Mika nerf so I cant derp with random claps, I hate this fake version of Ibuki, so I'm kind of stuck in a character crisis.

I think I need to spend a little more time with this game because my free gaming time goes mostly to Dota 2 and there is going to be a fighting game tournament at my university in about 3 weeks. I dont want to go 0-2 haha

I always hover around Gold Rank. I think I am struggling because of the Mika nerf so I cant derp with random claps, I hate this fake version of Ibuki, so I'm kind of stuck in a character crisis.

I think I need to spend a little more time with this game because my free gaming time goes mostly to Dota 2 and there is going to be a tournament at my university in about 3 weeks. I dont want to go 0-2 haha

Golds pretty high but if you relied on said derp to get there maybe that's simply not where your supposed to be. No shame in that. Im much lower lol.

Or try Laura. Everywhere is a corner for her its pretty fun.

FluxWaveZ

Good times with Balrog.

The cool part is that this is actually a relatively frequent occurrence with how I use TAP. Btw, is there any list or something that shows the different effects TAP has depending on the level in SFV? I think that it's at LVL 4+ where Balrog gets upper body invincibility, but I can never recall the intricacies.

Akuma is finally clicking with me. Steady climb from 6500 to 7500 going on right now, sitting on a 16 win streak. Feels good man after getting my ass destroyed for the past two weeks.

Pathetic....

Rant ovrer
I know there are a couple of bad apples in the FGC, but behavior like this isn't any better. You're making sweeping generalizations about a large and varied group of people, and pegging them as being immature and sexually harassing people. You sound awful pissed because some player wouldn't respond to your requests for matches, but you seem to be forgetting that they don't owe you shit. They have no obligation to play a few sets with you. They have no obligation to even acknowledge you exist. Flash is definitely an asshole, as are a few other people in the community, but that says nothing for the community as a whole.

What blockstrings work for you/do you typically rely on?

Cr.MP, St.MK xx Fireball

Cr.LP, Cr.MP xx Fireball

Cr.MP, walk forward, Cr.MP, St.MK xx confirm to something.

You can replace Cr.MP with Cr.HP if you want.

F.HP, St.LK xx Fireball or EX Tatsu.

Cr.HP, Cr.MK xx EX Fireball xx V-Trigger, Dash Forward, F.HP (Kinda gimmicky but usually catches people teching.)

They're all shoddy blockstrings, but I usually condition them with tons of throws and shimmies beforehand.

Good times with Balrog.

The cool part is that this is actually a relatively frequent occurrence with how I use TAP. Btw, is there any list or something that shows the different effects TAP has depending on the level in SFV? I think that it's at LVL 4+ where Balrog gets upper body invincibility, but I can never recall the intricacies.

check FAT, just click on the level of TAP you want the information on. The last level of TAP has a hilarious little note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom