• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Give us 2 CAs one that's available only in V trigger like Akumas and I'm good.
CAs are such universal moves for the most part, it would basically just be a different animation. Can't give everyone a command grab CA.
New v-skills and triggers would really give the game more depth.

Is that actually in the game?
I guess not!? Was it in the PSX build or something? Could've sworn it existed.

Pompadour

Give us 2 CAs one that's available only in V trigger like Akumas and I'm good.

Ryu and Necalli's CAs are modified in VT so I wouldn't mind seeing more of that where it's logically appropriate. It feels like the fire on Ken's CA should be saved for only when VT is active.

FluxWaveZ

It's most certainly pretty situational but if you can land it, it gives you a free mixup opportunity in addition to doing decent damage.

I kinda see it being a bit similar to an air throw in some respects.

The issue is that landing Shooting Star is an alternative for a mixup opportunity that you'd be getting anyways. The reliable moment to hit it—after a CC Lady Mika—means you're usually sacrificing damage and a different mixup situation that you'd be getting anyways. Possibly a better one, too, because Shooting Star happens so quickly that you need to react preemptively because the opponent still has all 3 types of recoveries available to them.

An air throw is 10x better, because that's a solution to cross-up range jump-ins, where you can jump back and throw the opponent. j.MP isn't anywhere near fast enough (hell, they nerfed its startup) or with a hitbox good enough to do that with. Opponents don't jump at an angle where characters can air TC against Mika because she has Wingless Airplane.

Edzi

Lmao I always get bodied by the shoryken instead of Hadoken since 2013 lol

Damn, I feel bad about that set. Connection was mostly good, but I got a few instances of rollback that made it sound like a hit connected. I hate those :(

Also, you really like wakeup buttons lol. I think I got 3 wakeup CCs in a row at one point.

Lmao I always get bodied by the shoryken instead of Hadoken since 2013 lol
Do a half-circle forward for the hadoken. It's often a problem because the input buffer is very dp/CA friendly. Same thing happens with Ken, cammy and used to happen with Juri too.

The issue is that landing Shooting Star is an alternative for a mixup opportunity that you'd be getting anyways. The reliable moment to hit it—after a CC Lady Mika—means you're usually sacrificing damage and a different mixup situation that you'd be getting anyways. Possibly a better one, too, because Shooting Star happens so quickly that you need to react preemptively because the opponent still has all 3 types of recoveries available to them.

An air throw is 10x better, because that's a solution to cross-up range jump-ins, where you can jump back and throw the opponent. j.MP isn't anywhere near fast enough (hell, they nerfed its startup) or with a hitbox good enough to do that with. Opponents don't jump at an angle where characters can air TC against Mika because she has Wingless Airplane.
Dang, I didn't know they nerfed the startup.

I always thought it was a somewhat reliable way to get an air-to-air into mixup going instead of an AA but I suppose I was wrong.

Damn, I feel bad about that set. Connection was mostly good, but I got a few instances of rollback that made it sound like a hit connected. I hate those :(

Also, you really like wakeup buttons lol. I think I got 3 wakeup CCs in a row at one point.

I love wakeup buttons tbh #noregrets

Haha tried to get fancy

Ggs, KhalilSyncere. Close sets. That was the first time I've fought Laura since season 2 dropped, and it feels like a very different matchup now. I was trying some of the stuff that worked in season 1, but it seems like Guile has to commit completely to laming her out now because of her buffs and the nerf to Guile's s.MP on block. A lot of stuff I was trying in terms of pressure wasn't working. Let's get some more sets, soon. Definitely wanna break this matchups down some more.

FluxWaveZ

I always thought it was a somewhat reliable way to get an air-to-air into mixup going instead of an AA but I suppose I was wrong.

The Wingless Airplane is better, because that limits wake up options, which is huge. Shooting Star is basically for style points... kinda like her V-Skill. Though I'd say her V-Skill is even slightly more useful than that right now.

Her cr.MP is better for the same reasons. They land right in front of you standing up, so their options are limited.

But the nerf to the cr.MP hurts... people said it was good before, but now that she doesn't leave the ground, it's definitely not as good as it was before.

Edzi

Anyone else wanna get some sets in? CFN EdziPC

I love wakeup buttons tbh #noregrets

Haha tried to get fancy

GGs, but I can't handle another set with your Akuma with this connection. You play pretty twitchy, and things just start to micro teleport all over. :(

I feel like it might just be Capcom's servers tonight or something, but it could be on my end since I noticed some weird connections on ranked earlier too. Never had issues before though so who knows.

BrutalAce made a nice physics mod for Laura.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/single/?p=10008922&t=30107484

my_video1_by_brutalace-datoqk0.gif

my_video_by_brutalace-datowig.gif

He got the balance of being noticeable but not over the top, correct. It looks really well done.
S2 seems to be going great for Laura so far.

Edzi

You know, thinking back on how they initially described this game as beginner friendly and stuff, it really boggles the mind how/why there are so many characters that rely on really annoying feeling tactics.

Edzi

what do you mean

I mean you've got a fairly big portion of the cast (like Mika, Laura, Cammy, and Rashid) whose entire game plan relies on being kinda unfun to play since the opponent is stuck doing nothing/guessing. Just seems like a weird direction to go if you're trying to get total beginners to stick with the game.

Then again, it could just be the game itself, since so many people do describe it as heavily 50/50 or setup based. I'm not really sure, but either way it's weird.

I mean you've got a fairly big portion of the cast (like Mika, Laura, Cammy, and Rashid) whose entire game plan relies on being kinda unfun to play since the opponent is stuck doing nothing/guessing. Just seems like a weird direction to go if you're trying to get total beginners to stick with the game.
I wouldn't say any of them have anything that isn't fun to play against.

The only case can be made is for Mika but that was Season 1.

Edzi

I wouldn't say any of them have anything that isn't fun to play against.

The only case can be made is for Mika but that was Season 1.

I mean, I dunno how anyone can argue that playing against a good Cammy or Laura is really fun. It's just sitting there in block stun and hoping you can guess when they go for the throw.

It's probably different in higher levels, but still.

Kashiwaba

I mean, I dunno how anyone can argue that playing against a good Cammy or Laura is really fun. It's just sitting there in block stun and hoping you can guess when they go for the throw.

It's probably different in higher levels, but still.

Some rock paper scissors is fun but it becomes boring when you're against S1 mika where all you can do is spam jabs hoping to get away from her.

Producer

when they said beginner friendly i think they meant having the super basic combo system, frame buffer etc. Not like actual playstyles or whatever

Edzi

when they said beginner friendly i think they meant having the super basic combo system, frame buffer etc. Not like actual playstyles or whatever

Yeah, I suppose. I just figured a more neutral/footsies based fighter would be better suited for getting them to stick around. I dunno, maybe others don't find it as frustrating as I do.

You can't make every character beginner friendly to fight. All fighting games have that character people roll their eyes at when they pop up on the screen.

JayEH

it's not fun getting your ass beat by anyone. it's bound to happen. I've had my ass handed to me all sorts of characters though it's not that there's certain characters that it only happens.

FluxWaveZ

it's not fun getting your ass beat by anyone. it's bound to happen. I've had my ass handed to me all sorts of characters though it's not that there's certain characters that it only happens.

Just went against a FANG (Dee_Ancer) who was absolutely relentless. Just like in S1, it can be so crazy difficult to find an opening once they get going.

Then again, it could just be the game itself, since so many people do describe it as heavily 50/50 or setup based. I'm not really sure, but either way it's weird.
Fighting a good Rashid reminds me of the sparring match between the world champ and Ippo where Ippo couldn't get a single shot in because of the champ's range.

It's really the only reason why anyone would continue playing these games though. Get your ass whooped and learn from it. I think the process is fun if you don't care about winning or losing much. It is just a video game at the end of the day, and I'm not winning any tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom