• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spman2099

And faced Wolfkrone. Almost got the first game until the Laura bullshit came in. It's funny, people hated Mika and now Laura. And I suggested that they maybe bring back Iframes but you guys say no that's stupid and continue to talk about how you guys hate these characters.

I think the solution is for people to look inward when they are getting stomped. Every character is scary and looks "cheap" when they are applying their strengths. A system change isn't necessary, a change in the way we approach losses is.

I think that is the reason why people are always so quick to point out their character's weaknesses when people are calling for nerfs. It is easy to see how hard it is to fight in the neutral with Mika in S1 when you play her, but her opponents forget about the rounds where she could't get in (and was subsequently stomped) and only see the rounds where they got put into the blender.

The same will happen for a number of characters this season. It is why a buff only balance would be fantastically interesting, as we would see the death of knee jerk nerfs.

I've been a member of the FGC since 2010. I've played against Evo world champions, hung out with maybe a dozen different scenes, and met hundreds of players over the past six years.

GTFO if you believe the scene is immature, hostile or whathaveyou.

I can get why you might feel certain players are unfriendly. Maybe they are. There are LOTS of people, even in the pool of top players, and some of them might not respond to your fight requests, or might not respond to you on Twitter. Some of them will actually not be great people in general. That happens.

But speaking as someone who has bounced between card games, RTS games and SF, and eventually settled in the FGC, I can tell you 100% that the FGC is a goddamn fantastic set of people, who have a strong passion for their favourite games, their local and national scenes, and the eternal desire to improve - not just as fighting gamers, but as PEOPLE. As communities.

Thinking that the actions of a few top players in one or two countries is indicative of THOUSANDS of people across the globe is very, very unfair.

- Huw "FSP" Dawson

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Cr.MP, St.MK xx Fireball

Cr.LP, Cr.MP xx Fireball

Cr.MP, walk forward, Cr.MP, St.MK xx confirm to something.

You can replace Cr.MP with Cr.HP if you want.

F.HP, St.LK xx Fireball or EX Tatsu.

Cr.HP, Cr.MK xx EX Fireball xx V-Trigger, Dash Forward, F.HP (Kinda gimmicky but usually catches people teching.)

They're all shoddy blockstrings, but I usually condition them with tons of throws and shimmies beforehand.

Thanks! I use some of these. I'm getting better with him little by little.

Thanks! I use some of these. I'm getting better with him little by little.

He's a super fun character. I had to rip out the jumping out of my game and work on my footsies and make them better. Awesome character when you have an idea of how his pressure and fireballs work. The one thing that bothers me is the Raging Demon. A) Dash Demon is hard to do consistently for me but I need to perfect it. B) I hate that it's only V-Trigger exclusive and that I use a ton of meter with Akuma so I never have the opportunity to use it. It's an amazing tool when you do have it tho, one of the best punishes in the game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
CrMP, crHP is great fishing for CC's. I'd then walk foward for a tasty EX demonflip into whatever xD

He's a super fun character. I had to rip out the jumping out of my game and work on my footsies and make them better. Awesome character when you have an idea of how his pressure and fireballs work. The one thing that bothers me is the Raging Demon. A) Dash Demon is hard to do consistently for me but I need to perfect it. B) I hate that it's only V-Trigger exclusive and that I use a ton of meter with Akuma so I never have the opportunity to use it. It's an amazing tool when you do have it tho, one of the best punishes in the game.

Last question. I can't seem to find use/incorporate his air fireballs. Tips for this? They seem just too dangerous for me. Are they solely for knockdown pressure?

K.Sabot

This game thinks I'm okay with playing South America / Mexico just because I happen to live in Oklahoma.

It's been so long since I've seen an American flag, this game's ranked MM is actively pushing me away from playing the game.

Last question. I can't seem to find use/incorporate his air fireballs. Tips for this? They seem just too dangerous for me. Are they solely for knockdown pressure?

Basically, if someone is consistently anti-airing me with a button, then I'll throw an air fireball to throw them off, and if it hits, then you get a St.MK into whatever. It's a good tool. It also helps to keep up pressure on someone, especially V-Trigger double fireballs, because you can tiger knee them and they have an insane amount of hitstun on them. However, don't overuse them or become predictable with them because anyone can simply just walk under you while you're throwing the fireballs, and do any punish that they want, and since you're Akuma, you really don't want that to happen.

mbpm1

Only use them to discourage anti airs so you can jump in more freely. Dont use them against opponents that move around a lot in response to jumps

stn

Yeah, use Akuma's air fireballs only for pressure. Not very useful as a runaway tactic due to finite V-trigger.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Basically, if someone is consistently anti-airing me with a button, then I'll throw an air fireball to throw them off, and if it hits, then you get a St.MK into whatever. It's a good tool. It also helps to keep up pressure on someone, especially V-Trigger double fireballs, because you can tiger knee them and they have an insane amount of hitstun on them. However, don't overuse them or become predictable with them because anyone can simply just walk under you while you're throwing the fireballs, and do any punish that they want, and since you're Akuma, you really don't want that to happen.

Only use them to discourage anti airs so you can jump in more freely. Dont use them against opponents that move around a lot in response to jumps

Yeah, use Akuma's air fireballs only for pressure. Not very useful as a runaway tactic due to finite V-trigger.

Word. Appreciate the responses. GAF SFV crew is the best.

I've been a member of the FGC since 2010. I've played against Evo world champions, hung out with maybe a dozen different scenes, and met hundreds of players over the past six years.

I can get why you might feel certain players are unfriendly. Maybe they are. There are LOTS of people, even in the pool of top players, and some of them might not respond to your fight requests, or might not respond to you on Twitter. Some of them will actually not be great people in general. That happens.

But speaking as someone who has bounced between card games, RTS games and SF, and eventually settled in the FGC, I can tell you 100% that the FGC is a goddamn fantastic set of people, who have a strong passion for their favourite games, their local and national scenes, and the eternal desire to improve - not just as fighting gamers, but as PEOPLE. As communities.

Thinking that the actions of a few top players in one or two countries is indicative of THOUSANDS of people across the globe is very, very unfair.

- Huw "FSP" Dawson

Well put.

You got robbed in that set against Ghandi tbh

Just picked up the PS4 version to play on my tv. Need some sf friends now lol. PSN: plbelanger
Check out the FG-GAF Discord - lots of PS4 SFV players there:

My PSN is Karsticles.

- Huw "FSP" Dawson
Indeed.

Playing Casual Match to get the last Mission requirement, lost the first set, clawed back and barely won the second set via some lucky hits. Opponent leaves before playing the third.

*liamneesonwhy.gif*

Grakl

- Huw "FSP" Dawson
Omg are you the Ghandi dude

Omg are you the Ghandi dude

KBNcZ.gif

Daigo talking about SF history on his stream with Jiyuna translating. Cool to listen to

https://www.twitch.tv/daigothebeastv

A summary of his talk which basically consisted of numerous examples of public perception of the game, balances & nerfs for characters, and what not for every update. I didn't list all of the characters that he mentioned were buffed and nerfed, and the numerous examples of tools/moves that were added for lots of characters. He related these updates that he lived through as a competitive player since 1992 to SFV's season 2 update.

SF2
-popular

SF2 Dash/CE
-Even more popular than SF2, most popular fg of all time
-4 new characters added
-specials were made unique
-able to mirror match now
-Balance became better
-sped up

SF2 Turbo/hyper fighting
-Top tiers were nerfed (guile, bison, etc) and so players became pissed
-Chun given fireball, Ryu/Ken air tatsu, etc...
-gameplay sped up
-still super popular as speed increased

SF2 Super/New Challengers
-cammy, fei, hawk, dj added
-reversals/combos/first attack notifications added
-graphics, music, etc... changed
-new moves were added like flame fireball/shakunetsu
-some moves that were great were nerfed so weaker chars now able to fight better
-really great gameplay, but was not popular. Daigo personally thinks this is probably the best version of the series when it comes to just gameplay and that is the game that should be popular, but reality is that it wasn't.
-reason it was not popular was due to it being slower than past iteration (same speed as dash now, slower than turbo)
-some fun stuff was nerfed for characters which gave off the feeling of a mild game

SF2 2X/Super Turbo
-speed choices added, sped up
-super and gauge added
-every character got a new move
-Akumer added which brought players to the game even though nobody played him as he was OP
-able to bring players back to SF2 even though not as polished as super

Vampire
-Not popular at all which dissapointed Daigo
-Capcom's next fighting game, much anticipated especially by Daigo
-New systems
-great graphics
-chain combos origin
-morrigan, demitri, Rikuo strongest characters

Vampire Hunter
-Most popular of Vampire games
-Most talent involved in development
-pyron, lei lei (hsien ko), donovan, Huitzel added
-Demitri nerfed, Morrigan&Rikuo buffed
-sasquatch and bishamon buffed
-Any normal person thought what the hell is wrong with you buffing characters that are already strong?
-new characters that were added were able to fight top tiers
-Victor became weakest fg character of all time even though he seems normally great because everyone else was a monster.
-weak characters were interesting
-busted game, but very popular
-left you the most frustrated, but also gave you big highs

Vampire Saviour
-Hunter players largely left the scene
-players leaving contributed to game never taking off
-Hunter players and Savior players divided as Hunter players weren't satisfied with Savior
-savior players were a new generation that love the game and continue to play

Zero3/Alpha 3
-Daigo not interested in first two alphas
-Alpha 3 was really popular
-At the time he thought Alpha 2 was garbage, but looking back he can see why Alpha 2 was good
-After national tournament Alpha 3 popularity kind of went down
-However, after V Gouki showed up on TV (daigo used v gouki and the national tournament was shown on TV), popularity increased
-reason being that original/custom combos were discovered for a large portion of players who left before
-game kind of became goofy, but it was still popular

He basically just looked back through all these revisions and observed trends. It has nothing to do with what game he would prefer, but rather what games the public largely favored or gravitated towards. From his observation it seems that balance has nothing to do with popularity. Games were largely more popular when games were sped up and largely became less popular when games felt like they were slowed down. Giving new moves or tools to characters were largely a great way to keep players happy, though not as big of a deal as speed. What is fun is not letting the players feel like their characters were gimped and often times players lost motivation to play after their characters were nerfed. He thinks that if characters need to get nerfed, they should be compensated by giving them a new move/tool so they can feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. He thinks that when balancing a game it's important to remember that what's fun to players is what should be considered first, not balance. That's not to say that it can't be both fun and balanced, just that making the players feel like their characters are fun should the priority. And through his observations, fun largely comes from letting players feel their characters are strong or have great tools.

He also talked a little bit about Guilty Gear and Capcom Fighting Jam too. He noted that CFJ isn't really a good game, but he really liked it because he found Urien to be super fun and that kept him playing the game.

Three people denied me the runback.

Maybe not flash kick on wakeup and I would CC everything you do.

They denied you after losing? That doesn't bother me at all. But the dudes who run after one win get me pretty salty. The dudes who run after evening things up 1-1(meaning I took the first game) are the biggest scumbags.

2 minutes. You'll give up on him within 2 minutes.
You're not wrong.

I've seen this happen before, there's something funky with Akuma's invincibility on startup of that move. Akuma can definitely get hit before the move actually comes out.

Um, as Birdie, if I'm anti-airing a jump in with c.mp... what are my safest options to punish afterwards?
It doesn't juggle so you're gonna have to go for meaty pressure when they're on the ground. You can try to cancel the Anti Air cr.mp into v-skill/can/banana but they take too long and a vigilant enemy can definitely punish.

Once you've installed the fear of command grabs and throws into them, you can meaty them with moves like st.hk, st.mp, a (VERY MEATY) cr.mp, or an overhead. You can also do it with lights but the push back can often lead to some weird situations since it's not particularly easy to hit confirm with this guy,at least not for me.

You can also just command grab or throw them when they reach the ground.

jett

D-Member
A summary of his talk which basically consisted of numerous examples of public perception of the game, balances & nerfs for characters, and what not for every update. I didn't list all of the characters that he mentioned were buffed and nerfed, and the numerous examples of tools/moves that were added for lots of characters. He related these updates that he lived through as a competitive player since 1992 to SFV's season 2 update.

Thanks for the writeup, interesting stuff.

I wonder if SFV is ever going to get new moves.

What is fun is not letting the players feel like their characters were gimped and often times players lost motivation to play after their characters were nerfed.

As a Mika player and dirty casul, I sure relate. Maybe I'll just end up quitting SFV as a player and go back to just spectating like in the SF4 daze.

Pompadour

I know. SF4 had multiple retail releases tho.

Not sure if SFV S2 not getting dick is telling or not.

S2 started after roughly 10 months of S1 being out. If I recall, the jump from arcade SF4 to console SF4 had no moves added or balance changes at all. The only move SSF4 added, aside from the U2s, was Sagat's Angry Scar (I think).

JayEH

Yo that FAT App is incredible. I wish I knew about it earlier lol. Also I'm watching the daigo stream archive. Some really good stuff, the yelp review analogy was great haha.

I know. SF4 had multiple retail releases tho.

Not sure if SFV S2 not getting dick is telling or not.
The beta update people downloaded had a lot of incomplete "new" moves or significant additions/changes to existing moves so they're at least experimenting with it.

I never realized how godlike Akuma's St.LK is. Has good range, 4 frames, +1 on block, and links to knockdown fireball at all ranges. Damn good button after Demon Flip divekick, and in footsies.

Thanks for the writeup, interesting stuff.

I wonder if SFV is ever going to get new moves.

As a Mika player and dirty casul, I sure relate. Maybe I'll just end up quitting SFV as a player and go back to just spectating like in the SF4 daze.

Daigo noted that there are lots of players like him that will just go and find a new main, but not everyone is like that. Some will definitely give up and it's important to keep them happy too. A game is supposed to be fun for everyone. It's important to remember that he said.

For what it's worth, Daigo has definitely stated in the past that he prefers SFV > SF4 because it's an offensive game rather than SF4's defensive game. However, his latest stream largely points to him wanting Capcom to learn from their own history of games/revisions in order to grow the playerbase. These observations have nothing to do with what he thought was a better/more polished game, but just a reflection of what actually happened.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SF4 didn't really add a lot of moves outside of 2nd ultras. There's stuff like angry scar or EX ducking for Dudley, but is that really much different compared to Cammy getting an air throw or Karin an air target combo?
A 2nd v-system choice would be cool at some point.

joe2187

Banned
SF4 didn't really add a lot of moves outside of 2nd ultras. There's stuff like angry scar or EX ducking for Dudley, but is that really much different compared to Cammy getting an air throw or Karin an air target combo?
A 2nd v-system choice would be cool at some point.

Give us 2 CAs one that's available only in V trigger like Akumas and I'm good.

Cammy still has air hooligan combo...but it's so situational it might as well not even be there, there's literally no use for it other than being somewhat flashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom