• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if anyone even knows how often it happens. Like every second match or every 20th would be a big difference. Right now you suspect it all the time even if it isn't there.

I think you can tell by how your opponent is playing/moving if they are lagging or not. Also if they accept a runback(excluding the ppl scared to lose their points) is pretty good indication that the connection was decent.

The bar connections always lies about the players connection with 4 bars being downright unplayable.

The bars indicate latency, not packet loss; you can easily have a 4 bar connection be a laggy mess because they are on WiFi and dropping packets.
If the game doesn't get the info it needs, of course you are going to experience rollback/teleports, this will even happen on a local network with 2ms latency and the best net code if you are dropping packets.

Does the new v-trigger open up any new combos or tech?

Replying again, now that I've actually had time to practice with setups specifically for this.

It mainly helps make those side switch mixups safer as you can hit-confirm or make it safe much more easily. You can also get chip damage more easily by walking forward and cancelling st.mp/st.hp into light trap. Mixups in the corner are somewhat less risky if they don't pan out.

The best part to me tbh as I've mentioned before , is the fact that the trajectory of the poison balls changes to hit with more space in between, allowing for combos that didn't happen before and just generally increases the time taken to get hit/block both the poison balls which in turn allows you more time to get a heavy trap down and still be able to continue throwing poison. It's a buff that wasn't on the changelog but it's pretty a creative change.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I strongly doubt the bars are telling latency correctly. They are super unreliable. No way it's always packet loss.

Moaradin

It's almost been a year since release and the matchmaking is almost in the same shape that it was in March

No way. The matchmaking didn't even work back then. Now I actually get grouped with people in my LP range. And the wait between matches is a lot quicker than it was back then as well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No way. The matchmaking didn't even work back then. Now I actually get grouped with people in my LP range. And the wait between matches is a lot quicker than it was back then as well.
Really? I agree about the LP range, but I feel like speed and qualitywise it's basically been the same since the beta even.

Moaradin

Really? I agree about the LP range, but I feel like speed and qualitywise it's basically been the same since the beta even.

I never really wait more than 20 seconds for a match these days. Maybe a bit more if I'm playing at a stupid time where everyone is sleeping.

I remember wait times back near launch being up to 5 minutes at times, because the matchmaking and servers were completely shitting themselves. It's definitely not at those levels right now.

Nope it's pretty much fine now. I always get matched up with people around my league and get matches within a minute usually.

I've been seeing more complaints since S2 started with players getting matched up from Diamond - Silver. That's since S2 started, before that it was fine for a while.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is a pretty good analogy by Daigo:
https://www.twitch.tv/daigothebeastv/v/111479518?t=19m10s

I never really wait more than 20 seconds for a match these days. Maybe a bit more if I'm playing at a stupid time where everyone is sleeping.

I remember wait times back near launch being up to 5 minutes at times, because the matchmaking and servers were completely shitting themselves. It's definitely not at those levels right now.
Ok, I was talking outside of those really stressed times during launch. There were definitely very bad days because the servers just couldn't handle it.

LakeEarth

I've been matched with several platinum and several silver players since S2. Hadn't seen that for a long time in S1.

Yeah, that's odd. Last few patches, the rules on who you would face seemed very distinct. I've never seen a silver ranked player as a platinum, and very rarely as an ultra-gold.

ElFly

I am definitely not spending just 20 seconds between matches

in fact...is that even possible? the load times back to the Fight Request are around ten seconds and (maybe I am exaggerating here) half a minute

has anyone actually wotch Daigo's stream to see if he gets matched that fast? cause that's insane

it is def better than the beta days, and yeah they shat themselves after the S2 patch, but right now I don't think it is at an acceptable level

VariantX

If anything the load times are what's atrocious right now, it feels like 2-3x long wait to actually load the match than to wait for it.

Skilletor

in fact...is that even possible? the load times back to the Fight Request are around ten seconds and (maybe I am exaggerating here) half a minute

has anyone actually wotch Daigo's stream to see if he gets matched that fast? cause that's insane

it is def better than the beta days, and yeah they shat themselves after the S2 patch, but right now I don't think it is at an acceptable level

I usually wait a couple minutes for a match. 20 seconds seems insane.

mbpm1

Load times are as bad as the waiting time for me. So a couple minutes to get a match. Then a couple minutes before the white screen. Sometimes the white screen is a minute too. And then I get into the match and it may or may not teleport

What I'm saying is sometimes Zombegoast has a point

Moaradin

I'm not counting the load times. I count the second i start searching and stop the second i see the match is coming your way message.

The load times is a separate issue that they should work on but that's not related to matchmaking. It's not nearly as bad now as it was back then, because of 2/3 in ranked. You're spending more time playing before you have to go through load times now, which before you had go through those load times after every match.

MrCarter

I've been seeing more complaints since S2 started with players getting matched up from Diamond - Silver. That's since S2 started, before that it was fine for a while.

Hmm that's weird. I've been seeing a lot of streams on Twitch lately from all parts of the world and I rarely see them being matched up with people from a very wide skill level. James Chen's match making last night was fine and had matches within a minute on average.

I think the main issue here is the server not being able to handle a large amount of players online at the same time and the actual consistency and strength of the rollback netcode. They need to improve that infrastructure for sure.

Moaradin

Yeah, I've never been matched with a Silver or lower player as a Diamond myself. The lowest I get is like Ultra Gold, and even that is rare. Most of them are Platinum or Diamond.

mooncakes

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE BACK TO MATCHING PLATINUMS WITH SILVERS?

This happened to me yesterday when I was playing for about an hour. I get match with super/utra plat when im gold. Its a waste of time for both player tbh. I probably get pwned but the other guy is not gonna learn anything anyways. Its a lose -lose because they barely get any point from winning and loading time makes it a bit worst.

ElFly

I'm not counting the load times. I count the second i start searching and stop the second i see the match is coming your way message.

The load times is a separate issue that they should work on but that's not related to matchmaking. It's not nearly as bad now as it was back then, because of 2/3 in ranked. You're spending more time playing before you have to go through load times now, which before you had go through those load times after every match.

ok 20 seconds between "searching for opponent" and "Another fight is coming your way" is feasible. I've seen it tho for me normally it is between 30-60 seconds, more depending on time of the day

my theory is that the load times are not a coincidence

if the matchmaking was actually faster because load times were drastically cut short, the MM servers would see their load increase 3x or more, thus dying just as much as we saw in the S2 patch release days

I mean...I am on a decent SSD and still get stuck waiting on black screens and the white screen after the world with the flying energy screen a lot

my 'load times' on PC are not significantly faster than on my PS4 so I have to assume the game doesn't really load until the server sends an ACK for whatever reason

well to be fair I haven't played on the PS4 on a long time so maybe my memory is just wonky

Mupod

I don't know if something broke in my brain or if they changed it in the patch but I can't land Bison's crossup to save my life anymore. I lost a close match to my Karin-playing friend because of it. I was surprised how much muscle memory I retained though, haven't played in a while.

my 'load times' on PC are not significantly faster than on my PS4 so I have to assume the game doesn't really load until the server sends an ACK for whatever reason

well to be fair I haven't played on the PS4 on a long time so maybe my memory is just wonky

The game doesn't do the actual brunt of the loading until the white screen, this is why it also lingers longer on PS4 than pc or why PS4 to pc matches match the PS4 load time, the game can nearly instantaneously load any fight as shown in survival.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's the crazy thing. For the longest time during the two character screen no actual loading is taking place. It's absurd.

ElFly

The game doesn't do the actual brunt of the loading until the white screen, this is why it also lingers longer on PS4 than pc or why PS4 to pc matches match the PS4 load time, the game can nearly instantaneously load any fight as shown in survival.

I wonder if the game even caches your favorite character between fights

even if it is matching the PS4 loads it seems insane

Yeah, that's the crazy thing. For the longest time during the two character screen no actual loading is taking place. It's absurd.

I'd be happy with doing away with the two character/world screen if it helped

I wonder if the game even caches your favorite character between fights

even if it is matching the PS4 loads it seems insane

I'd be happy with doing away with the two character/world screen if it helped
I doubt it's caching anything, it always loads and unloads the same amount of memory going from menu > fight mode > menu, only in survival does it spike higher because it's replacing old data with new data on stage clear.

Skilletor

Monkey paw scenario

Get rid of 3D models on character select/vs. screen loading. Load times are much faster

Replaced with Bengus SF5 art.

mbpm1

Except as someone said above, the problem could be that they deliberately added load times to reduce load on the server by slowing down the matches

Ucchedavāda;227587790 said:
To paraphrase a quote on a different subject, if you run into a bad connection in the morning, you ran into a bad connection. If you run into bad connections all day, you're the bad connection.

I had good matches this morning. Except for a player who I recorded started lag switching before going 2-0 and a match DC in the middle of a game.

The bars indicate latency, not packet loss; you can easily have a 4 bar connection be a laggy mess because they are on WiFi and dropping packets.
If the game doesn't get the info it needs, of course you are going to experience rollback/teleports, this will even happen on a local network with 2ms latency and the best net code if you are dropping packets.

It doesn't excuse Capcom from having these issues. The netcode their using is barebone to the point that now the audio bugs out when there is a lot of lag and the PS4 having FPS drops while playing online.

Maintenance never managed to fix anything either

Bizazedo

I don't know if something broke in my brain or if they changed it in the patch but I can't land Bison's crossup to save my life anymore. I lost a close match to my Karin-playing friend because of it. I was surprised how much muscle memory I retained though, haven't played in a while.

They made it harder / demand more of an exact jump to land. So, it's not in your head.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
r/streetfighter is talking about the matchmaking, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/5lrnpv/i_have_done_some_investagative_work_and_it/

They must've broken something during that christmas outage. It almost looks like they are using a much older version of the matchmaking since then. One without the LP range improvements.

Except as someone said above, the problem could be that they deliberately added load times to reduce load on the server by slowing down the matches
That would be one of the craziest design decisions I've ever heard. Having short down times should be one of the main goals for the online portion of a fighting game.
I would rather lose the extensive replay function for casual matches or something.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ok 20 seconds between "searching for opponent" and "Another fight is coming your way" is feasible. I've seen it tho for me normally it is between 30-60 seconds, more depending on time of the day

my theory is that the load times are not a coincidence

if the matchmaking was actually faster because load times were drastically cut short, the MM servers would see their load increase 3x or more, thus dying just as much as we saw in the S2 patch release days

I mean...I am on a decent SSD and still get stuck waiting on black screens and the white screen after the world with the flying energy screen a lot

I'm on an SSD as well and my load times are significantly faster when matched with a PC player rather than PS4. I feel like I can even tell when that PC player also has an SSD, though the variation could just be randomness.

I actually haven't been bothered by MM times or load times since 2 out of 3 sets were implemented, but if they were faster it would be fantastic.

MrCarter

r/streetfighter is talking about the matchmaking, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/5lrnpv/i_have_done_some_investagative_work_and_it/

They must've broken something during that christmas outage. It almost looks like they are using a much older version of the matchmaking since then. One without the LP range improvements.

I think it's variable to be honest. Just now I played ranked and casual and the matchmaking (although it has long load times) was perfectly fine and had matches within 30 seconds. I wonder what the deal is with the handshake icon thing and does anyone know if the new rage quitting stuff works?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, it does. There's nothing you can do about client packet loss, the data just never arrives.
Then that should show up somehow. Other games do a much better job at that.

They put a rootkit in the game to prevent cheating
Yeah, but I really think that was cluelessness.
Deliberate wait times to take the load off of the server would be completely on purpose. Nah, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom