• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to take a look at my matches on V-League, and tried to tabulate the difference in ranks before and after Season 2. In the following, the difference in rank ('Diff') is measured such that the difference between Rookie and Rookie is 0, Rookie and Bronze is 1, Rookie and Super Bronze is 2, and so on. A negative value indicates that my opponent is of lower rank, zero that we are of same rank, and a positive value that my opponent is of higher rank. I only count the first of multiple, consecutive matches against the same person, since only this match was initiated by the server.

In the days from December 1st up to and including December 20st, I observed the following:
Code:
Diff  Count  Pct
-2     8     7.7%
-1    20    19.2%
 0    34    32.7%
 1    25    24.0%
 2     8     7.7%
 3     5     4.8%
 4     3     2.9%
 5     1     1.0%

In the days from (and including) December 21st, I observed the following:
Code:
Diff  Count  Pct
-5     5      4.7%
-4    13     12.1%
-3    21     19.6%
-2    28     26.2%
-1    20     18.7%
 0    13     12.1%
 1     6      5.6%
 2     1      0.9%

Notably, prior to the 21st of December, almost 76% of all matches are with players no more than a rank higher or lower than myself, with ~27% of all matches being lower ranked and ~40% of all matches being higher ranked. Following the S2 update, ~36% of matches are against players no more than a rank higher or lower than myself, with ~81% of all matches being lower ranked(!) and just 6.5% of all matches being higher ranked. It gets even worse if we start from later dates, once my own rank increased. Something has definitely changed.

MrCarter

Is it something to do with the influx of new players that came in with Akuma? Perhaps the servers can't evenly distribute how new players match make each other and instead they get matched up with higher skill levels when the waiting times become too long.

ElFly

Monkey paw scenario

Get rid of 3D models on character select/vs. screen loading. Load times are much faster

Replaced with Bengus SF5 art.

would hella take this deal

I'm on an SSD as well and my load times are significantly faster when matched with a PC player rather than PS4. I feel like I can even tell when that PC player also has an SSD, though the variation could just be randomness.

I get matched to other PC players so little that I haven't noticed. should check, but the truth is that I don't really start looking at the tv screen until I hear the character introduction (I have the BGM set to Zangief's theme if it is a ranked match)

Have load times been that bad since the beginning? I just got the game for PS4. Load times are nuts.

Yeah they have always been that bad.

Has anyone noticed that doing Guile's st.HP, cr.mp, SB combo seems more lenient than it was before? I was able to hit it much easier and I haven't played Guile in almost 3 weeks. Could be the extra frame of advantage on hit for the st.HP but I am not so sure. Wonder if it is just placebo.

A correction, since I didn't start by checking something obvious. What has changed is ME. Looking at the raw numbers of the ranks of my opponents, these do not appear to have changed much, despite the fact that I have almost doubled my LP since the 21st. In other words, the server does not appear to be increasing my rank for the purpose of match-making, despite my visible rank (LP) greatly increasing:

December 1st to 20th:
Code:
Rank          Count  Pct
Bronze         8      7.7%
Bronze:Super  26     25.0%
Bronze:Ultra  26     25.0%
Silver        30     28.8%
Silver:Super   7      6.7%
Silver:Ultra   6      5.8%
Gold           1      1.0%

December 21st and onwards:
Code:
Rank          Count  Pct
Bronze        15     14.0%
Bronze:Super  29     27.1%
Bronze:Ultra  27     25.2%
Silver        25     23.4%
Silver:Super   6      5.6%
Silver:Ultra   5      4.7%

If any of you are seeing similar odd match-making, did you also recently change rank?

ElFly

That would be one of the craziest design decisions I've ever heard. Having short down times should be one of the main goals for the online portion of a fighting game.
I would rather lose the extensive replay function for casual matches or something.

I don't think it is crazy... or even on purpose

the game definitely is waiting on some response from the servers when finishing a best-of-three set and sending you back to the main screen, because you see a black screen for a looooong time some times after the result screen

if that response depends on the load of the servers, it is a natural brake on matchmaking speed...assuming the search for opponents doesn't start until you see the main menu again. which I think it is reasonable to assume, since I've never been matched immediately after returning to said screen. I always have to wait

but I bet if Capcom removed that wait from result-screen to matchmaking-state, the servers would get overloaded once more

it is completely possible that the initial 'sign in' to the matchmaking servers needs to be done again after each set, so we see wait times like when starting the game and login in each time

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Monkey paw scenario

Get rid of 3D models on character select/vs. screen loading. Load times are much faster

Replaced with Bengus SF5 art.

I'd accept a black screen with only the characters names written in courier font if it made the load times disappear. Probably wouldn't be great for the game's public perception, though.

ElFly

I'd accept a black screen with only the characters names written in courier font if it made the load times disappear. Probably wouldn't be great for the game's public perception, though.

SF4 system was so much better about this. that character selection screen was so much lightweight than the current one

main advantage is seeing the costume you are selecting, but that could be done with a 2d portrait too

there were versions of A2 that did this. was kinda weird tbh.

A2 and Jojo on the PS1 had very spartan character selection screens in some modes, to speed up load times

edit:
some reddit guy said:
Whoever was on call for xmas couldn't figure out what's going on with servers, so he rolled the version back to the one that didn't have the improved matchmaking. It's been running ever since because they want to avoid losing face and hide until the next maintenance window and ninja fix it.

this makes a lot of sense. if we see more balanced MM after the next downtime (prolly around the next S2 character in a month or two hopefully) this guy was prolly right

SF4 system was so much better about this. that character selection screen was so much lightweight than the current one

main advantage is seeing the costume you are selecting, but that could be done with a 2d portrait too
The Tekken 7 system is so ideal. All pre-rendered CG for the characters in the selection screen, and when you want to select a different colour/costume then a series of small, in-game screenshots of the costumes/colours available show up. Still gives you a good idea of how it looks in-game, without having to render the character in real time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Have load times been that bad since the beginning? I just got the game for PS4. Load times are nuts.

Load times on PS4 are not great. However, sometimes the connection to the server causes extreme delays that are not typical. You should kind of be able to tell what's happening based on the icons in the corner. If you have the grid and the circle for a long time, server issues are contributing to the problem. If it's mostly just the grid, then, welp, that's the normal load time.

I wonder if anyone even knows how often [lag] happens. Like every second match or every 20th would be a big difference. Right now you suspect it all the time even if it isn't there.

I've played with some GAF people and the connection is usually near perfect, so I just assume most of my matches are working right. But in my dark times I can't help but wonder if I only ever win because of lag.

Marvel

could never
Wish we could unlock/buy new vs loading screen poses. I remember Bison having a cool looking different one when the game was first revealed.

Ardenyal

Ucchedavāda;227599560 said:
If any of you are seeing similar odd match-making, did you also recently change rank?

I checked the profile of who I played earlier today who had a 70 win streak. He is now gold and still playing mostly people in 0-2000 range, 80% ish 0-1000.

My suspicion is that it's a smurf account (country flag / psn profile mismatch and only one character played in ranked no matches in casual or battle lounge) and the matchmaking is stuck at bronze while his LP is gold.

Sucks you can't login to CFN account from another system. Moved from PC -> PS4 to play on my TV in the living room. Also can't believe how short the cinematic story mode is if you skip all cutscenes. Took like an hour to beat lol. Quick fm anyway. Any place to get both season passes for PS4 cheap?

I checked the profile of who I played earlier today who had a 70 win streak. He is now gold and still playing mostly people in 0-2000 range, 80% ish 0-1000.

My suspicion is that it's a smurf account (country flag / psn profile mismatch and only one character played in ranked no matches in casual or battle lounge) and the matchmaking is stuck at bronze while his LP is gold.

Thanks for checking that out.
The same happened to Maximillian Dood when he created a smurf account (ShinBenny).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why aren't they at least releasing new colors? Jesus how hard is it to move a slider? Come on make me spend my goddamn fm on something.

ElFly

Why aren't they at least releasing new colors? Jesus how hard is it to move a slider? Come on make me spend my goddamn fm on something.

it's impressive how much more simple stuff they could be doing

have to assume most staff have moved onto MvC:I since around story mode patch, it is possible the networking fix will be moving SFV to whatever MM solution MvC;I gets, tho not necessarily at the same time. it could happen afterwards or even before, as a sort of beta for MvC:I

even if this doesn't happen, it will be interesting to see it MvC:I gets the same matchmaking company as SFV, Nettention

MrCarter

have to assume most staff have moved onto MvC:I since around story mode patch, and that the networking fix will be moving SFV to whatever MM solution MvC;I gets, tho not necessarily at the same time

it could happen afterwards or even before, as a sort of beta for MvC:I

That's a different team with a different producer and director. SFV has its own team and also work with Dimps on a few things and I doubt we would have a continuous stream of new characters and upcoming content if most staff went elsewhere.

ElFly

That's a different team with a different producer and director. SFV has its own team and also work with Dimps on a few things and I doubt we would have a continuous stream of new characters and upcoming content if most staff went elsewhere.

continuous is too strong a word tho

it's more like a drip whenever they are ready

I mean, six characters a year is not bad, but even that was not continuous and Capcom japan had to retract on the timeline of a character a month Capcom USA had made

after that we get a couple of new stages, and a bunch of retouches to existing ones, and some subpar costumes with worse clipping problems than the costumes already existing (I just saw a Laura costume where the 'tail' of her costume just sunk into the ground whenever she was in her idle position or just walking around)

they haven't abandoned the game but certainly they could be doing a lot more

we haven't heard of a S2 history mode so prolly the people who were working on that already moved on; the S1 DLC characters were coming in parallel to story mode so it wouldn't surprise me if those story mode team was a separate group. would be pleasant to be proved wrong and see a second story mode

MrCarter

continuous is too strong a word tho

it's more like a drip whenever they are ready

I mean, six characters a year is not bad, but even that was not continuous and Capcom japan had to retract on the timeline of a character a month Capcom USA had made

after that we get a couple of new stages, and a bunch of retouches to existing ones, and some subpar costumes with worse clipping problems than the costumes already existing (I just saw a Laura costume where the 'tail' of her costume just sunk into the ground whenever she was in her idle position or just walking around)

they haven't abandoned the game but certainly they could be doing a lot more

we haven't heard of a S2 history mode so prolly the people who were working on that already moved on; the S1 DLC characters were coming in parallel to story mode so it wouldn't surprise me if those guys moved on. would be pleasant to be proved wrong and see a second story mode

We actually got all the characters on time and had two characters in one month and Urien a month early. Technically they were ahead of schedule with that timeframe they had. Of course they haven't abandoned the game as it's getting support until at least 2020/21 and like I said they are two seperate teams. MC:I I think is more easier to develop as they are using some of the existing models from Ultimate and sprucing them up - hopefully it looks better by the time the game releases.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

have to assume most staff have moved onto MvC:I since around story mode patch, it is possible the networking fix will be moving SFV to whatever MM solution MvC;I gets, tho not necessarily at the same time. it could happen afterwards or even before, as a sort of beta for MvC:I

even if this doesn't happen, it will be interesting to see it MvC:I gets the same matchmaking company as SFV, Nettention

I don't know what to assume. Frankly I'm tired of having to.

SFV: Produced by Capcom, developed by DIMPS
MVCI: Produced as a collaboration between Capcom and Marvel, developed by... ???

Capcom. It was a big part of the reveal, but Capcom is doing MvC:I development in house. First fighting game they'll be developing in house in over a decade.

The staff who handled development on SFV, primarily Dimps & a collection of contractors, is not doing MvC:I. They are two completely different teams.

I have theorized that something far bigger for SFV is planned for this year, and I am still holding firm onto that prediction. I know, it sucks to have to wait for word on this stuff one way or another, but we do know that there are things being worked on that are in the game's source files that we have yet to see implemented in the game proper. So just hang tight for a little while longer.

ElFly

We actually got all the characters on time and had two characters in one month and Urien a month early. Technically they were ahead of schedule with that timeframe they had. Of course they haven't abandoned the game as it's getting support until at least 2020/21 and like I said they are two seperate teams. MC:I I think is more easier to develop as they are using some of the existing models from Ultimate and sprucing them up - hopefully it looks better by the time the game releases.

we got Urien when they said he would be released, september, but the whole "two characters a month" is hiding the delay from Guile to Ibuki/Balrog, which were released along the story mode

technically they released three characters one month (Ibuki/Balrog on July 1, Juri the 26th) so continuous it wasn't. it was more like 'late character, on time character, radio silence, apologies, three characters a month, last guy on time'. It's telling we don't even got any idea of when we get a new character at all

don't think it is crazy to have the parent company force both games to share the MM solution, particularly if one is performing p badly right now, separate teams or not. separate teams does not mean "they cannot share anything at all ever"

we got Urien when they said he would be released, september, but the whole "two characters a month" is hiding the delay from Guile to Ibuki/Balrog, which were released along the story mode

technically they released three characters one month (Ibuki/Balrog on July 1, Juri the 26th) so continuous it wasn't

don't think it is crazy to have the parent company force both games to share the MM solution, particularly if one is performing p badly right now, separate teams or not. separate teams does not mean "they cannot share anything at all ever"

Actually, we got characters far earlier than what was initially said. When SFV's season pass was first being outlined, we were told we'd be getting 1 character every 2 months, with Alex being the 1st in March. After Guile, we were told that the characters would be launching at a rate of one every month. So going by their initial plan, we actually go Urien a full 3 months (in September) earlier than what their original estimation was (which put Urien in December).

Either this will be great or terrible

Honestly, I think its a result of Capcom observing just how botched the last few 'outsourced' efforts have been for them. They probably felt that the reduction in quality, which you typically find in outsourced work, was no longer worth the price-tag. I have confidence that they will launch MvC:I when its ready - I think they gave it a late 2017 date so they could use Q1 2018 as a backup.

But yeah, seeing how both the network engineering for SFV was outsourced, and a lot of the modes & other such things from DIMPS is an outsource job that they then further outsourced by having small arthouses do contract work for specific characters, I imagine Capcom now realizes they need to have a more hands-on approach with their output.

Don't be surprised if my predicted 'Super' SFV that I predict is being announced this year will be an in-house production at Capcom.

ElFly

Actually, we got characters far earlier than what was initially said. When SFV's season pass was first being outlined, we were told we'd be getting 1 character every 2 months, with Alex being the 1st in March. After Guile, we were told that the characters would be launching at a rate of one every month. So going by their initial plan, we actually go Urien a full 3 months (in September) earlier than what their original estimation was (which put Urien in December).

ah I missed that correction, I was going by the original poster http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/sfv-dlc-schedule-800x469.jpg

but still, Guile was April so four months later and skipping a month for story mode it'd be

May (Balrog)
June (Story Mode)
July (Ibuki)
August (Juri) (in reality she was released earlier, but Balrog, Ibuki and Story mode were releasd on July)
September (Urien)

so I don't get this "Urien was a ton earlier" thing. even if you move Balrog to June to account for a delay between Guile release and the announcement you mention, Urien is only a month earlier

The part I didn't believe was the "deliberate" one. And I think we're talking about two different things here. There's obviously loading and server communication happening on the black and the white screens, but I'm not sure about the two character one. Especially when going back to training mode.

dunno if it is deliberate or not

but I have strong suspicions if it were to go away we'd see the MM servers go down in flames

Capcom. It was a big part of the reveal, but Capcom is doing MvC:I development in house. First fighting game they'll be developing in house in over a decade.

The staff who handled development on SFV, primarily Dimps & a collection of contractors, is not doing MvC:I. They are two completely different teams.

I have theorized that something far bigger for SFV is planned for this year, and I am still holding firm onto that prediction. I know, it sucks to have to wait for word on this stuff one way or another, but we do know that there are things being worked on that are in the game's source files that we have yet to see implemented in the game proper. So just hang tight for a little while longer.

didn't Dimps do SF4 too? I assume the budget was a lot tighter this time (or was similar but better assets made SFV more expensive)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The part I didn't believe was the "deliberate" one. And I think we're talking about two different things here. There's obviously loading and server communication happening on the black and the white screens, but I'm not sure about the two character one. Especially when going back to training mode.

Edzi

lol, how are you supposed to approach Guile as Alex? Seems like you can't really react to booms from far range without eating a flashkick.

lol, how are you supposed to approach Guile as Alex? Seems like you can't really react to booms from far range without eating a flashkick.

Alex is really dangerous vs. Guile from about 2/3 screen to outside of Guile's backfist range, where he can footsie with s.HK. Headbutts and EX elbows are very effective against Guile from 1/2 to 2/3 screen range, then rely on oki/baiting flash kicks after knocking down with one of those or a s.HK CC combo.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You can't react to booms.
At footsie range you have to mix up blocking, bulldogging, jumping, anti-airing and, maybe most importantly, dashing. It's really hard to do and your overarching goal should be to get him in the corner before eating too much damage.

st. HK, fishing for CC, trying to bait FK. Nicely timed j.HK, EX stomps, maybe throw a headbutt in there. EX elbows work nicely too because of the armor to get throw regular booms. It's a rough matchup and you have to be pretty patient in getting into the position you want. When you are able to get in close enough his st.mp and f+hp are nice normals to throw out there. EX stomps and f+hp can obviously lead to powerbombs as well.

So, what settings do you guys have for PC? Can't find matches at all since I bought the game.

That sounds odd. The default options should find you plenty of matches, unless there is some network issue that is causing problems. Are you behind a restrictive firewall or router? I believe that the game uses UPnP, so if that is turned off in your router then you may have a hard time connecting to anyone.

A simple, but non-exhaustive test could be to try to join a lobby that you know is open (have somebody here invite you, for example), and see if you can join. Similarly, try to create a lobby and have somebody join it. If you have problems with either of these, then that would indicate that you have some sort of network problems. Feel free to send me an friend-request on Steam (link in profile) if you'd like me to help you try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom