• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

Hmm. Just double checked and he doesn't. I must have misremembered something at some point.

Phew, that would be scary.

Btw, got any advice from our sets? I really wanna make it to platinum soon, but I know I've got some major holes in my game that need to get fixed first.

Phew, that would be scary.

Btw, got any advice from our sets? I really wanna make it to platinum soon, but I know I've got some major holes in my game that need to get fixed first.

I think reacting to the opponent jumping out of command grabs by hitting them with knee drops would go a long way, and not relying on stomp to get in so much.

Edzi

Anyone else wanna play for a bit? I'll be on for around the next hour. CFN EdziPC

I think reacting to the opponent jumping out of command grabs by hitting them with knee drops would go a long way, and not relying on stomp to get in so much.

Yeah, definitely need to work on that. I'm bad at reacting to neutral jumps in general.

Edzi

HanksB, you probably don't want to hear this, but you were literally the only Ibuki player who's ever had trouble with my Alex, but today you seem to be doing way better. You're actually playing like other Ibuki's and throwing out single pokes/frame traps instead of combos, overheads, lots of crossup dashes, and throwing a lot. I'm back to not knowing what to do against Ibuki lol

EDIT: GGs, you really forced me to slow down.

Sayad

Yeah I've never seen anything like that before that's why I'm so surprised. I don't understand how a backdash can make me magically teleport into the air, but whatever I guess.
You're airborne during backdashes, so air throws can catch you.

Kashiwaba

What's wrong with match making its messed up now, keeps matching me with siper plat and ultra bronze when just I'm super gold 🙄

Edzi

Just dismantled an Ultra Gold Urien who got visibly shaken and started just throwing out half screen EX headbutts in neutral. He didn't want a runback.

HanksB, you probably don't want to hear this, but you were literally the only Ibuki player who's ever had trouble with my Alex, but today you seem to be doing way better. You're actually playing like other Ibuki's and throwing out single pokes/frame traps instead of combos, overheads, lots of crossup dashes, and throwing a lot. I'm back to not knowing what to do against Ibuki lol

EDIT: GGs, you really forced me to slow down.

GGs. Yeah I was throwing out a lot of c.hp to try to catch dashes and the headbutt. I need to really work on my counter hit combos. Most of the time I land a counter hit mp I'll go straight into overhead, and while that does catch people often, I should be going for damage instead of resets most of the time.

Also learned on the fly that v-skill can catch his stomp, though I was still getting hit by it too often.

Edzi

GGs. Yeah I was throwing out a lot of c.hp to try to catch dashes and the headbutt. I need to really work on my counter hit combos. Most of the time I land a counter hit mp I'll go straight into overhead, and while that does catch people often, I should be going for damage instead of resets most of the time.

Also learned on the fly that v-skill can catch his stomp, though I was still getting hit by it too often.

Stomp is pretty bad in general, I need to use it less often.

You started blowing all your EX on kunais after the first set when I think it was serving you better as a wakeup option.

Stomp is pretty bad in general, I need to use it less often.

You started blowing all your EX on kunais after the first set when I think it was serving you better as a wakeup option.

Yeah my overuse of those is something I need to work on. It's just such a strong tool to create pressure, it'll cause me to go a bit autopilot sometimes.

Edzi

Yeah my overuse of those is something I need to work on. It's just such a strong tool to create pressure, it'll cause me to go a bit autopilot sometimes.

It's a good tool, but it stopped working after the first few times so you were just wasting it, while I was getting free wakeup pressure since you didn't have any more meter.

Look at my inputs on the right:

streetfighterv2017-01xds62.jpg

It was a backdash. That's so dumb lol.

I've seen dumber. Like Ground DCM going through Dan's backdash in usf4.

Capcom nailed guile in SFV he strong, balanced and fun to fight against :)

Agreed 100% (the mirror's fun too)

Hopefully Capcom doesn't change much about him in future balance patches and focuses instead on bringing the weaker characters up.

Guile's risk/reward feels pretty well balanced for how the character is supposed to be played, and he's easily the most fun he's ever been. He doesn't have any single tool that is overly abusable, but he has next to no wasted buttons and his toolset synergizes really well.

Edzi

Hopefully Capcom doesn't change much about him in future balance patches and focuses instead on bringing the weaker characters up.

Guile's risk/reward feels pretty well balanced for how the character is supposed to be played, and he's easily the most fun he's ever been. He doesn't have any single tool that is overly abusable, but he has next to no wasted buttons and his toolset synergizes really well.

I agree, Guile is unique, fun, and super good without feeling cheap. The other characters just need a lot of help to get to that level of balance.

I feel like fighting games are going to get hit with this "every character should get buffs and not nerfs" nonsense that's been going around. That works for like a select few fighting games. It's like people get so conscious of nerfs that they'll drop characters and not allow them to breathe. I've been saying this, and Ryan Hart's speech is real good on pinpointing this problem, but looking at the whole picture rather than a bubble is a better way of approaching balance AND adding fun to the game.

I fear people aren't even going to try to find the fun stuff that characters have now. I saw a video of Ryu with some new tech, and I'm like "wow, so imagine if a player reworked his gameplan to add the parry in and just try and get more v-gauge going in general, he'll get these new tools", but others are hell bent on dropping their character on reaction. It's kinda always been like that, but kneejerks have gotten worse due to social media and the like.

That isn't to say SFV's system is currently correct or not. It's just that people really need to say "alright, what about this move versus other characters"? It takes a lot of time, but I feel like it's not always going to be openly fun in fighting games, much less for certain characters, to find viable cool toolsets.

Edit: On the flipside of things, it'd be nice if the v-stuff got better in terms of straight fun. That's still the avenue they are headed in, and probably the best way with the way SFV works, but some characters aren't getting enough work in that department, or some get fucked over because of the grey life system (GIEF).

leroidys

Bison is pretty fun to watch. Hoping to see more of him at tournaments in S2.

EDIT:

Is it just me, or is all of the SFII cast in SFV now really good? Guile is good, Balrog looks amazing, Bison seems viable now, Gief seems viable now, Chun is still amazing, Cammy is maybe even better, Ryu is still good... Vega seems to be viable now, Akuma seems to be good.

Bizazedo

Bison is pretty fun to watch. Hoping to see more of him at tournaments in S2.

EDIT:

Is it just me, or is all of the SFII cast in SFV now really good? Guile is good, Balrog looks amazing, Bison seems viable now, Gief seems viable now, Chun is still amazing, Cammy is maybe even better, Ryu is still good... Vega seems to be viable now, Akuma seems to be good.

Sadly, Bison will be eliminated by any grappler (especially Laura), and we're going to see a lot more Laura's.

Might see him as a backup, though.

His V-Skill and V-Trigger in particular fit so well in his moveset that you'd think he's had those moves since SF2 or the Alpha days. He makes Alex and Ibuki's corresponding V-skills and Triggers look like complete nonsense pulled out of nowhere (although I admit that I like his sledgehammer even if only for it's combo extension purposes).

So upside-down kick links off of a counterhit jump-in which is interesting. I wonder if I can do the sonic boom into dfRH combo, haven't tested it but it would just under 400 damage meterless. Even this combo does 333.

mw0NoG.gif

The buffs only approach is straight up nonsense from people who want to avoid that feel of looking at a nerf relevant to them on patch note day.

Like, imagine them dealing with an OP character by making everybody else OP in similar categories, and then ballooning HP and stun across the board. And then do that a few more times. You just end up with unnecessarily silly values for everything, all for the sake of avoiding patch note shock.

The first introductory period of people acting foolish goes away every time once it all gets figured out anyway, unless the patch is truly terrible.

Nah, people really do feel like their character is no longer fun.

In fact, everyone was in favor of balancing the game by giving characters buffs rather than nerfs before release. Capcom themselves told everyone that was how they would balance the game and everyone was in agreement with Capcom.

Edzi

I wish there was a way to tell people their connection was garbage. I know there are tons of people playing on wifi who don't know any better, and they're never going to learn.

His V-Skill and V-Trigger in particular fit so well in his moveset that you'd think he's had those moves since SF2 or the Alpha days. He makes Alex and Ibuki's corresponding V-skills and Triggers look like complete nonsense pulled out of nowhere (although I admit that I like his sledgehammer even if only for it's combo extension purposes).

I actually really like Alex's V-Trigger, but I think his V-Skill is definitely terrible nonsense. It's not very good, but even worse, it's boring. It's just uninspired. I don't even know how you could make it more interesting without just replacing it.

Dahbomb

Yeah the "buff everything, nerf nothing" mentality never works out in practical application.

There have been games that tried to do this ie. buff, not nerf. What happens is that the game starts power creeping to new heights and eventually it becomes unrecognizable from where it started. So even though you retain some people who are allergic to nerfs, you lose other people who feel robbed of the identity of the game.

Like the end game of buffing everyone in SFV is that the game turns into Marvel. Some people may like that but people who like SF and specifically SFV will not like it at all and understandably so.

thought I would give my first char I enjoyed in this game way back when it came out another go (mika) now she has been changed.

Go in training mode for like 2 hours. She actually has tons of fun stuff still. once her v-trigger is up she has some great fun combos she can pull off for super high damage. Worked out her frame traps, BnBs, what to do when in a corner, best way to corner carry. Go online...... Same as with Akuma. Brain turns to Jelly and I pull of absoultely nothing correctly lol. Still beat one silver Ryu but I dont even want to watch the replay I was playing so bad haha.

Part of me wants to give her more time as she is certainly fun and this happens with every character you arnt used to but there was something about Guile and to a lesser extent Laura where I felt instantly comfortable playing them and found it way less of a struggle to engrain their moveset into my subconscious so I can concentrate on what my opponent is doing rather than how to do what move.

Maybe trying to learn more than 2 characters is just straight up a bad idea.

I also bought Mikas costumes simply because I like to use her in training mode at the very least and I found a version of her wings outfit that I actually like. The white one. The last dark one is also OK. The others just give me a migrain due to the colour schemes.

Will be interesting to see how Mika actually does this season because she still seems perfectly good to me. They basically just removed the braindeadness of throwing claps out there that led to corner carry and huge damage. Gotta play a bit smarter now.

I actually really like Alex's V-Trigger, but I think his V-Skill is definitely terrible nonsense. It's not very good, but even worse, it's boring. It's just uninspired. I don't even know how you could make it more interesting without just replacing it.
He needs a second V-skill. From the beginning it should have been either something like Beowulf's (skullgirls) grab mechanic that allows him to use the V-skill to transition to any number of grabs or it should have been something that makes all flash chops and slash elbows have the same property as heavy flash chop. It is stupid unlikely that you'd get a back drop on someone without stunning them or using sledgehammer, so it would have been a welcome change. His V-Trigger should have been buffed similarly too. EX Headbutt should do more stun/multiple headbutts like 3S stun gun and EX back drop should be his 3S back hyper bomb with 3-5 back drops and slightly more damage while in v-trigger. Some characters already get new moves or buffed specials from their V-Trigger anyways. There is a precedent. But I guess Capcom just had to concentrate on giving Necalli new tools because he was struggling so much in season 1. I barely saw him at tournaments after all.

/salt

The buffs only approach is straight up nonsense from people who want to avoid that feel of looking at a nerf relevant to them on patch note day.

"Buffs only" balancing was mostly a response to classic Blizzard balancing (which was some of the earliest live-patching and thus the standard for a long time), wherein the common response to something being too good was to nerf it to the point where it was completely unplayable in a balance patch.

"Buffs only" basically maintained that instead of making existing things unplayable, you should try to make other things good, too.

The obvious solution is just to do things in smaller and more conservative increments (both nerfs and buffs) rather than going nuclear on shit, but there are various reasons why developers do not tend toward that approach.

Yeah the "buff everything, nerf nothing" mentality never works out in practical application.

There have been games that tried to do this ie. buff, not nerf. What happens is that the game starts power creeping to new heights and eventually it becomes unrecognizable from where it started. So even though you retain some people who are allergic to nerfs, you lose other people who feel robbed of the identity of the game.

Like the end game of buffing everyone in SFV is that the game turns into Marvel. Some people may like that but people who like SF and specifically SFV will not like it at all and understandably so.

I can understand thinking about that in general, but not with SFV. Buffing the other characters won't turn SFV into some unrecognizable mess. And characters don't need to keep getting buffed every update.

Sayad

It is stupid unlikely that you'd get a back drop on someone without stunning them or using sledgehammer...
How viable is using st.HP xx H Flash Chop a lot in neutral and confirming into back drop when you see a counter hit during st.HP? This worked fine for me when I tried Alex back then(around his launch ;p), it's negative on block but not much can punish it. And I've seen Problem X use it a lot too.

In fact, everyone was in favor of balancing the game by giving characters buffs rather than nerfs before release. Capcom themselves told everyone that was how they would balance the game and everyone was in agreement with Capcom.

Capcom never promised that they wouldn't nerf characters, but rather they they wouldn't "greatly" nerf characters. With the exception of Nash (and maybe Mika), who got hit hard with the nerf stick, that seems to be in line with what they've done for Season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom