• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Dhalsim is still non-existent online. I'm happy with this result :] On another note, I'm struggling so hard to git gud with Juri, but I really want to learn her :( Jeez, I get owned so bad online when I play her, I'm easily the worst Juri I've seen, lol.

EDIT: I don't think any fighting game has ever been balanced around buffing everyone instead of nerfing problematic characters. It's really, really not going to happen, lol.

Saw on /r/StreetFighter that the "Director of Licensing & Consumer Products at Capcom", and more, posted the following earlier today:
Thankful 2 those who supported Capcom & #SFV through good & bad in 2016. 2017 will be a big year for u, promise! Haters will be left behind.
https://twitter.com/diamonon/status/816529321711968257

It's a bit of a childish tweet, but it is (mildly) promising to see Capcom making more and more noise about SFV.

EDIT: Also tweeted
@JWonggg ugh, give me a few more weeks the I can talk about it. Till then, I'm taking notes on these haters, lol.
https://twitter.com/diamonon/status/816530616229335041

What a baby, but that gives us a time-line at least.

Yeah that HATERZ shit is suspect but we are probably going to see some decent things this year, even before EVO. An arcade version would be huge, both as an excuse to put out an Arcade Mode (lel) and get local competition flowing.

Edit: Wait, he's the licensing guy?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It doesn't seem like you should be able to, but it's very easy to v-skill>P through his boom on reaction as Rog

If you are a person who isn't trash at the game.

I can't even dash punch out of the v-skill reliably yet.

I just want my braindead Rog from 4 back. Is that too much to ask for?!

Yeah that HATERZ shit is suspect but we are probably going to see some decent things this year, even before EVO. An arcade version would be huge, both as an excuse to put out an Arcade Mode (lel) and get local competition flowing.

I really hope you are right, but I am going to keep my expectations in check when it comes to technical improvements to SFV. It took them what, 10 months to add DInput support and proper anti rage-quitting measures, and then the latter broke after 3 days.

Edit: Wait, he's the licensing guy?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Are you thinking guest characters?

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;227641082 said:
Saw on /r/StreetFighter that the "Director of Licensing & Consumer Products at Capcom", and more, posted the following earlier today:

It's a bit of a childish tweet, but it is (mildly) promising to see Capcom making more and more noise about SFV.

I can tell from the tone in that tweet, that it means all the new characters are 360/720 grapplers

These moments are prob the most tense in these games and it amazes how similar everyones timing is for how long they are willing to wait before they hit a button.

Y6YXnn.gif

Just eyeballing each other waiting to make the first move. Like a western stand off. Its great.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That guy does not write like a "Director of Licensing & Consumer Products at Capcom".

"Haters", come on

I feel like fighting games are going to get hit with this "every character should get buffs and not nerfs" nonsense that's been going around. That works for like a select few fighting games. It's like people get so conscious of nerfs that they'll drop characters and not allow them to breathe. I've been saying this, and Ryan Hart's speech is real good on pinpointing this problem, but looking at the whole picture rather than a bubble is a better way of approaching balance AND adding fun to the game.

I fear people aren't even going to try to find the fun stuff that characters have now. I saw a video of Ryu with some new tech, and I'm like "wow, so imagine if a player reworked his gameplan to add the parry in and just try and get more v-gauge going in general, he'll get these new tools", but others are hell bent on dropping their character on reaction. It's kinda always been like that, but kneejerks have gotten worse due to social media and the like.

That isn't to say SFV's system is currently correct or not. It's just that people really need to say "alright, what about this move versus other characters"? It takes a lot of time, but I feel like it's not always going to be openly fun in fighting games, much less for certain characters, to find viable cool toolsets.

+100

I feel they removed a lot of the "cheapness" of season 1. People that relied on it got really pissed. The fact that a few frame changes can bring a character from garbage tier to top show how balanced the game really is.
Also Pro players are savy and know that their voices are being heard. Im convinced that some of the complaining is strategic and not really logical.

I feel they removed a lot of the "cheapness" of season 1. People that relied on it got really pissed. The fact that a few frame changes can bring a character from garbage tier to top show how balanced the game really is.
Also Pro players are savy and know that their voices are being heard. Im convinced that some of the complaining is strategic and not really logical.

I agree that the cheap stuff being gone is great. Until you run into Birdie's EX Headbutt in VT being safe. Or Urien in general now.

I disagree that the issues with S2 that have been raised are down to anything other than the truth, though - S2's balancing is whack as it stands. Some characters got pretty close to what they needed (Gief) wheras some were buffed far too much for their relative strength (Guile) or nerfed despite already being bad (FANG).

My feeling is that there was not a huge budget for the rebalancing work.

IMO the right thing to have done would be to release a beta with change notes back at the start of December, then release a revised S2 in February, just in time for a month of practice before CPT 2017. But SFV is on a shoestring budget, so we didn't get that. :\

I agree that the cheap stuff being gone is great. Until you run into Birdie's EX Headbutt in VT being safe. Or Urien in general now.

I disagree that the issues with S2 that have been raised are down to anything other than the truth, though - S2's balancing is whack as it stands. Some characters got pretty close to what they needed (Gief) wheras some were buffed far too much for their relative strength (Guile) or nerfed despite already being bad (FANG).

IMO the right thing to have done would be to release a beta with change notes back at the start of December, then release a revised S2 in February, just in time for a month of practice before CPT 2017. But SFV is on a shoestring budget, so we didn't get that. :

That's my problem. If Xian said Fang was good we would all say Fang got better. Fang listed 5 or 6 things Fang got buffed and said he doesn't like it so people run with it. Luce said he was digging the new Fang. I don't think he's worse I just think he's different. If Xian wins some tournaments then magically Fang will be better. And it's an infinite circle.

How viable is using st.HP xx H Flash Chop a lot in neutral and confirming into back drop when you see a counter hit during st.HP? This worked fine for me when I tried Alex back then(around his launch ;p), it's negative on block but not much can punish it. And I've seen Problem X use it a lot too.
I see it as well when I watch high level Alex players just like I see counterhit standing jabs that can be confirmed into standing medium punches and special cancels, but I don't feel that it is worth the risk considering it's startup and it's inability to crush counter.
Dhalsim is still non-existent online. I'm happy with this result :] On another note, I'm struggling so hard to git gud with Juri, but I really want to learn her :( Jeez, I get owned so bad online when I play her, I'm easily the worst Juri I've seen, lol.

EDIT: I don't think any fighting game has ever been balanced around buffing everyone instead of nerfing problematic characters. It's really, really not going to happen, lol.
Fang and Sim are two characters that won't go up much in usage even if they become the undisputed top two of the game. Not that Capcom would ever allow that to happen. A top tier Fang would be the worst idea ever with his poison and the current way white/gray life works.
Ucchedavāda;227641082 said:

Yeah, those are some childish tweets.

IMO the right thing to have done would be to release a beta with change notes back at the start of December, then release a revised S2 in February, just in time for a month of practice before CPT 2017. But SFV is on a shoestring budget, so we didn't get that. :\
I doubt it costs Capcom thousands of dollars to shave a few frames off some medium normals lol. This is not how balancing works. From what I saw of SG's development the vast majority of balancing costs were handled up front. Tweaking hit/hurtboxes and frame data later is not some huge financial endeavor iirc, but I could be wrong. New moves requiring new animations are a different matter.

Normally, I'd make fun of using that, but "I don't want to play other game, I want to hate SFV" is def a thing.

Haterz is silly but dude works at capcom so he's probably privy all the shit they get for SFV,
warranted and un-warranted. He was probably referring to the un-warranted.

I doubt it costs Capcom thousands of dollars to shave a few frames off some medium normals lol. This is not how balancing works. From what I saw of SG's development the vast majority of balancing costs were handled up front. Tweaking hit/hurtboxes and frame data later is not some huge financial endeavor iirc, but I could be wrong. New moves requiring new animations are a different matter.

Every new build is a new round of testing. Testing costs time and money. If you make less balance changes, there is less risk, and so you need less testing, so you spend less money.

Shaving a few frames off of a normal could cause lots of problems. Does the move still function as expected with no regressions? How do we know? And how do we know nothing else has changed?

So yeah it might not sound like a bunch of work to change the code, but it's always lots of work to test.

Y6YXnn.gif

Just eyeballing each other waiting to make the first move. Like a western stand off. Its great.
Oh god, this happens so much and what's funny is that 99% of the time from my experience, the button that hits is a counter hit so that means the timing was almost equal.

Fang and Sim are two characters that won't go up much in usage even if they become the undisputed top two of the game. Not that Capcom would ever allow that to happen. A top tier Fang would be the worst idea ever with his poison and the current way white/gray life works.
You're right though, a zoning character like these two are never truly going to be top tier, but that's in large part due to the nature of the characters. The characters themselves can be particularly strong but it's ALWAYS upto the players to make them good as compared to the more conventional characters where the characters are strong on their own merits and each player can bring something different to the table.

That's my problem. If Xian said Fang was good we would all say Fang got better. Fang listed 5 or 6 things Fang got buffed and said he doesn't like it so people run with it. Luce said he was digging the new Fang. I don't think he's worse I just think he's different. If Xian wins some tournaments then magically Fang will be better. And it's an infinite circle.
FANG is definitely much more viable this season but it's larger in part to the margin between the top tiers and the rest of the cast becoming shorter than it is FANG getting better IMO.

IMO the right thing to have done would be to release a beta with change notes back at the start of December, then release a revised S2 in February, just in time for a month of practice before CPT 2017. But SFV is on a shoestring budget, so we didn't get that. :
I agree that some of the balancing is legitimately off. I honestly think that Capcom accidentally mixed up EX bullhorn with EX Bullhead when doing the balancing (even in the patch notes, the name is the same Capcpom). Makes no sense that the move that costs meter and has frame 3 armor is unsafe, yet the move that costs meter (and hits eariler) and has frame 1 armor is safe?

ElFly

Every new build is a new round of testing. Testing costs time and money. If you make less balance changes, there is less risk, and so you need less testing, so you spend less money.

Shaving a few frames off of a normal could cause lots of problems. Does the move still function as expected with no regressions? How do we know? And how do we know nothing else has changed?

So yeah it might not sound like a bunch of work to change the code, but it's always lots of work to test.

I'd expect that frame data is just a static file of data, so testing it is less expensive

The game does differentiate the between full patches (handled by steam/psn) and internal patches (handled internally by the game) so I assume the latter are just data, not executable changes, thus easier to test and less prone to breaking something

Bizazedo

You think so? I think he definitely does.
Agreed. Karst, I don't see how Bison is favored versus Gief. I would love to be wrong, but I don't see it.

Bison normals get eaten up by Gief's V Skill. There are other issues too, but on phone so can't elaborate.

NEO0MJ

So, which players should I follow for Balrog?

Ucchedavāda;227605856 said:
That sounds odd. The default options should find you plenty of matches, unless there is some network issue that is causing problems. Are you behind a restrictive firewall or router? I believe that the game uses UPnP, so if that is turned off in your router then you may have a hard time connecting to anyone.

A simple, but non-exhaustive test could be to try to join a lobby that you know is open (have somebody here invite you, for example), and see if you can join. Similarly, try to create a lobby and have somebody join it. If you have problems with either of these, then that would indicate that you have some sort of network problems. Feel free to send me an friend-request on Steam (link in profile) if you'd like me to help you try this.

Problem is that it's my bro who was handling the router and he's not home now. I'll be willing to try joining a lobby later.

They're overrated.

But it means you made it!

LakeEarth

Matchmaking does seem a bit off, I dipped into ultra-gold yesterday, and it matched me against a diamond. I think I was in ultra-gold for several weeks and never matched up with anyone above platinum.

I did end up winning the set, poor dude lost like 250+ points.

Seik

Banned
Game is slowly growing back on me...played three ranked yesterday before sleep and won two.

Was there any changes done to Nash in the last 4 months? I'm curious, he feels the same but I'd like to know.

ok....I still feel Ken got hit a bit too hard with some of the nerfs. Seriously, give me back my EX air Tatsu and 4 frame b.mp!

But, I will say, it's a much more grounded games now. No one is really jumping a lot, a lot of patient, set play, trying to get out of each other's good normal range and footsie seemed to have gotten a boosts.

It's a little strange facing Urien and Laura players now because they seem to go against this logic a little bit with their strong mixup, but I think once you put a player like that on notice, and stop their advances, you force them to play more honest as well. I've been punishing weak Laura's after her axe kick pretty hard to deter it, and staying in Urien's face so he can't space out so many hard to punish charge moves. Also not a afraid to just walk up and do something random like throw/super when Urien's pop there trigger, always expecting me to sit there and block sometimes I just yolo that mess lol. Still need to play some good Ibuki, Juri, Sim, and Akuma.

I just want a turbo option, even if it's just a bonus mode and not the official game mode. Just feels like the game would be fun and more chaotic sped up a bit. Also, grey health is just stupid now.

I'm glad they got nerfed some of the OD jump ins in season 1 tbh. Ex free jump in, air legs , Ryu's j.LK and Ken's air tatsu deserved the L they took imo

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
they are still good, just not crazy good
Ken's air tatsu definitely has a very different hit box that really reduces its utility in air to air scenarios. It seems to trade extremely often now. I haven't had much trouble using it on grounded opponents despite the lesser advantage in block. I'm still in scrub town though so YMMV.

I have to say I've adapted to the changes pretty well and I feel like I'm playing as well as I ever did, despite the slower normals. So I'm happy at the moment with Ken.

Well. this is bullshit.

If a completely free alternative is a considerably easier and more convenient option than the paid one, you're doing something wrong.
Not to defend their behaviour but if you're paying for tips and tricks in 2016 aren't you the one doing it wrong?

Definitely isn't fair to their customers but I'm not sure why they still have customers at all.

What about fang?
The best Fang I know lives across the globe from me and doesn't want to play me...

J/K

Yea I don't have nearly enough practice against him either. Thankfully, Kens hardest matches are usually charge characters and I have more than enough of them to play who's competent

So, which players should I follow for Balrog?

PR_Balrog
Smug aka Dr. Smuggles
F3 Alucard

Edit: Well that sucks about the Prima Guide. Oh well I was lucky picked one up for cheap. Lol that might be the reason they aren't updating it, not enough people bout them.

Ken's air tatsu definitely has a very different hit box that really reduces its utility in air to air scenarios. It seems to trade extremely often now. I haven't had much trouble using it on grounded opponents despite the lesser advantage in block. I'm still in scrub town though so YMMV.

I have to say I've adapted to the changes pretty well and I feel like I'm playing as well as I ever did, despite the slower normals. So I'm happy at the moment with Ken.

Not to defend their behaviour but if you're paying for tips and tricks in 2016 aren't you the one doing it wrong?

Definitely isn't fair to their customers but I'm not sure why they still have customers at all.
yea they nerfed the hitbox on it a bit too much. It's negative on block now, which I guess is fair, but you are still using meter, if I react to a air to air with my Tatsu I should be beating normals with it. It gets stuff way too easily now and is even harder to punish fireballs with.

Then I pick Cammy and just Smh...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Smug is the scarier offensive Balrog, PR Rog is more technical and footsie oriented.
I'm really looking forward for them to face off against other top players with Season 2 Balrog, they are looking really good.

joe2187

Banned
Did they buff Gief?

Im seeing a lot more Giefs and in general having a tougher time then I used to with him.

My command grabs get snuffed out by his, 100% of the time and Im getting super bodied by him now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
yea they nerfed the hitbox on it a bit too much. It's negative on block now, which I guess is fair, but you are still using meter, if I react to a air to air with my Tatsu I should be beating normals with it. It gets stuff way too easily now and is even harder to punish fireballs with.

Then I pick Cammy and just Smh...
I guess it is kind of shitty that a move that costs meter is so weak against normals. I hereby register my first ever balance complaint. I'm FGC now!

Did they buff Gief?

Im seeing a lot more Giefs and in general having a tougher time then I used to with him.

My command grabs get snuffed out by his, 100% of the time and Im getting super bodied by him now.

They did but his SPDs are still the same as in Season 1. Lemme double check.

Edit: Yeah they are still 5 frames just like season 1. Just some meter gain changes, damage reduction, and distance reduction.

The best Fang I know lives across the globe from me and doesn't want to play me...

J/K

Yea I don't have nearly enough practice against him either. Thankfully, Kens hardest matches are usually charge characters and I have more than enough of them to play who's competent
Fair enough lol. Tell you what, you ever make it to Pakistan or the middle east, hit me up. Vice versa if I make it to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom