• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choco is around James' level. Actually probably higher I'd say after watching her.

Probably better than Mike Ross lel

Nah. Mike would destroy her free.

However, Momochi wouldn't be where he is now without Choco either. Neither would Choco without Momochi. Both of them being together and being pro gamers does a lot for their image. They get a lot of exposure from Japanese media, because not only is pro gaming still a bit new to Japan, but they're also a pro gaming couple. They compliment each other well.

JayEH

Out of curiosity, what exactly do these organizations get out of signing FGC players? This is esports poverty after all.

Nice that Tokido finally has a sponsor.

They get 10 bucks when one of these guys gets 9th at a major.

mooncakes

Does ChocoBlanka play at all and is she any good? Or is she just tied to Momochi?

I think Chocoblanka is decent at the game but her strength lies in her marketability. She a female, a gamer and has that shinobism thing that teaches young players fighting game. Or maybe i am just overthinking it and she got it through her connection with her husabando like "if she dooesnt join, I wont" type of deal. Who knows, really.

I think Chocoblanka is decent at the game but her strength lies in her marketability. She a female and a gamer. Or maybe i am just overthinking it and she got it through her connection with her husabando like "if she dooesnt join, I wont" type of deal. Who knows, really.

It's possible they only got her because it was one of Momochi's requirements, but that would speak more about their unfamiliarity with Choco. Momochi is a world class player capable of being a top 5 player year in year out. However, that doesn't mean he would get on Japanese television like Daigo or Tokido. Daigo is Japan's first pro gamer and most successful player. Tokido is a Tokyo university engineering graduate. Momochi is none of those things.

What Momochi does have is being a couple with Chocoblanka, Japan's first female pro gamer. Even if Choco doesn't win, the fact that she's the first female pro gamer in Japan can get her on Japanese television. What's better than that? Well being a pro gaming couple. Now both can get on tv more as a couple than by themselves.

Choco is also more of the on camera personality and handles more of the media work with youtube and streaming. They're a top tier couple and if you were going to sponsor one, you as a company would benefit from sponsoring both.

One just has to look at Mago. Mago is a great player and a bigger personality than Momochi, but he never gets on Japanese tv with the spotlight on him. Why put Mago on tv if you can get Daigo, or Tokido? Momochi would likely be in the same position as him if he didn't have Choco unless he became so dominant and successful that he would overshadow Daigo's success. I feel a bit bad for Mago. The Japanese online community kind of makes fun of him for being unsponsored and always being behind those other pro gamers, but he's at a major disadvantage in regards to image.

ShinMaruku

Out of curiosity, what exactly do these organizations get out of signing FGC players? This is esports poverty after all.

Nice that Tokido finally has a sponsor.

Echo Fox is a special case, in that they are trying to build a scene where they can get a little piece out of it. It can also just be something for fun that operates itself.

Some other orgs are money laundering. Others still are oil princes spoiling their sons.

Kalentan

Is there very little people playing ranked?

Cause why the hell did the game think to match me (603 LP) against a guy whose 3679. He's literally ranked 50k when I'm in the 300k part.

That's a real failure of matchmaking.

Cause why the hell did the game think to match me (603 LP) against a guy whose 3679. He's literally ranked 50k when I'm in the 300k part.

There's no way to know for sure unless we know who exactly was looking for a match when you were looking as well.

If that person was the closest to you in rank when your search window was active, then it works.

Player base size and spread of ranks is another thing.

Alchemist

Not really. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain in these situations.

New002

Okay I'm getting really tired of matchmaking matching me up with the same person back to back to back...

Been doing that the past few days.

FYI the episode is about a murdered streamer

Arturo about to get blown up on TV

iqsKm3h.jpg

Ryce

Think we'll get a new character this month?
I'm thinking Helen will be revealed in a few weeks, and she'll be available to download in early February alongside the Alex and Ibuki nostalgia costumes to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III.

Edzi

It is absolutely pointless to play Ranked at the moment. I'm winning some really hard fought fights, only to be met with a failure to send data error. It hasn't been this bad since the launch.

It is absolutely pointless to play Ranked at the moment. I'm winning some really hard fought fights, only to be met with a failure to send data error. It hasn't been this bad since the launch.

Every time I've had a "failure to send data" error, I ended up getting the points anyway.

Give them a check and see if this is the case for you too.

Edzi

Every time I've had a "failure to send data" error, I ended up getting the points anyway.

Give them a check and see if this is the case for you too.

You sure that's not the failure to receive data? I thought failure to send meant the points were gone.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You sure that's not the failure to receive data? I thought failure to send meant the points were gone.

Not necessarily. It tries to send the data again behind the scenes. If that is successful, you get your points after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's possible for it to fail permanently.

leroidys

I'm thinking Helen will be revealed in a few weeks, and she'll be available to download in early February alongside the Alex and Ibuki nostalgia costumes to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III.

This makes sense. Helen is from SFIII originally after all.

tribal24

Banned
Man, the name Helen and her design is lame compared to Kolin and her design. I don't care if they're the same character, Kolin > Helen.

Kolin i feel looks more generic, maybe her name can be Kolin with Helen design or costume changes will change her name and move properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom