• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

They will prob call her helen and have an alt outfit called kolin. She does spend almost all this games story as helen after all.
That's what I'm thinking. Her Story Costume (or her Nostalgic Costume) could easily be her SFIII outfit, with the announcer & the in-game text referring to her as Kolin rather than Helen whenever said costume is being used.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's what I'm thinking. Her Story Costume (or her Nostalgic Costume) could easily be her SFIII outfit, with the announcer & the in-game text referring to her as Kolin rather than Helen whenever said costume is being used.
Why would Capcom put in the effort to do this?

You are generally leaving damage on the table with jabs. Most characters have way better AA options rather than just knocking people out of the air annoying.

On the other side of things, if you are getting hit by jabs out of the air, it means your spacing is shit.

Edit: Akuma especially gets free shit off of people with that b+fp. That's probably less risky than throwing out limbs because if they jump too deep you get bopped.

Double edit: Like, look at this shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeK9RE0GMZM

You can do this all day and get free damage, set the spacing, and gain meter in some cases. I would know, because I got messed up by an Akuma who just sat there and got me every time I jumped :(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I still do it frequently and succesfully as Akuma and Necalli. Weird.
In my experience they lose to more jump-ins now. Be it timing or hitbox, they are more specific now. Doesn't mean they won't work anymore but the risk-reward got adjusted.

ElFly

It really isn't much effort. (Yes, I know, "It's Capcom we're talking about here!", but it's actually less genuine effort than a lot of the things they've been doing, even something like the stage "finishers".)

there is a lot of stuff they haven't been doing for weird reasons

it's impossible that the super dull individual story mode (not the full campaign) is less work than a regular arcade mode but here were

The story mode was fun

I wasn't precise, I meant the individual story mode that serves as a prequel to the full campaign

yet both are ruined by being single round. dunno why you would do that

Skilletor

It's not my standard AA of course. I occasionally just do it when I flinch and need to do something fast. I just noticed that I still manage to hit people out of the air super frequently with it and it leaves me at an advantage.

I don't like bfp, might as well use vskill or srk for AA if I predict the jump and have the time.

Vskill seems far less reliable to me. b+hp trades at worst, does more damage than vskill, and has a better hitbox for AAing different attacks.

Srk doesn't leave you with oki options. I almost never use it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I just remembered that I asked back in june or so for a CFN id change since they mentioned you ca do that. Then I asked again in august or september and they affirmed me it was still in the works. I still got my old id.

They are a bit more situational. Feels fine to me now.

No it is not for Nash because they actually expanded the vertical hurtbox on his jumps. Cr. MP on Ryu/Ken can hit him out of the air. Meanwhile Nash's Cr.MP AA is a bit worse now that the hitbox shrinks at the end of it's active frame so it's a bit harder for him to AA.

Meanwhile for Ryu
v5VVNWX.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah different moves of different characters have different properties, what's your point?
You want to be able to jump in easier?

edit: Screenshot is weird, too. I guess Ryu's leg shouldn't look like that, but the jump-in move doesn't have a hitbox yet, either.

Skilletor

Yeah different moves of different characters have different properties, what's your point?

Yeah...like, should every AA button just automatically beat every jump in attack?

That situation means awareness on the part of the Balrog player.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think boxer is much easier in this game. Yeah in 4 you could jab jab short head butt ultra but in this game he has target combos and a dp so you don't always need to keep charge and charge times in general are stupidly short compared to 4. Not to mention he actually has mixups now with his v skill and v trigger.

He had an overhead in 4, leading to full combo. He has much shorter range on his buttons, which is annoying, but damn his damage is good now,

The only really hard thing he had in 4 were his optimal rush loops.

V-skill-P makes his matchup against fireball characters so much better in V though, and TAP level 4 and above are crazy good.

edit: Screenshot is weird, too. I guess Ryu's leg shouldn't look like that, but the jump-in move doesn't have a hitbox yet, either.

The point is they need to balance Jump Ins VS Air to Air/AA better. They kinda nerfed Jab AA but then nerfed Nash's Jumps to the point where now almost every character can Jab AA out of it and having a much harder time in air to air situations. Then you have Zangief who has both Jab AA and the Lariat making the Wall that Trump always dreamed of. I brought this up when Capcom posted the blogs about "balancing" the characters for S2 that they need to do more than just nerfing Jab AA.

Then you have Ryu's J.HP which doesn't even have a hit/hurtbox a few frames AFTER that picture

Skilletor

Vskill isn't really unreliable at predicted jumps and I find the vgauge gain to be worth it.

I see that.

Different strokes. Exactly the kind of thing this game needed, imo, to differentiate playstyles. :)

I personally don't care about gaining vtrig since he dies so fast and I'll get it anyway.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The point is they need to balance Jump Ins VS Air to Air/AA better. They kinda nerfed Jab AA but then nerfed Nash's Jumps to the point where now almost every character can Jab AA out of it and having a much harder time in air to air situations. Then you have Zangief who has both Jab AA and the Lariat making the Wall that Trump always dreamed of. I brought this up when Capcom posted the blogs about "balancing" the characters for S2 that they need to do more than just nerfing Jab AA.

Then you have Ryu's J.HP which doesn't even have a hit/hurtbox a few frames AFTER that picture
So...you do just want to jump in easier. No sympathy from me, sorry lol

^ This. That Balrog AA can be made to whiff super easily. Lots of characters have easier AA options.

Basically SF works like this:
If you're jumping in, assume that you're going to get anti-aired. Jumping in (unless you can change your jump arc) is usually a TERRIBLE idea.

So instead of jumping in, you're playing the ground game.

You see people jumping in because they see that their opponent is playing passively, or has become focused on the ground game (footsies) that they are not mentally prepared to switch up. Or because you are attempting to pre-emptively punish a move.

Jumping is a part of footsies. Get better in your ground game and your jump in game will improve - and if you're jumping in at the right time, you will just NOT get anti-aired because you've just broken your opponent's mental game. They're the ones throwing their stick and calling you a random scrub, you're the one with the tournament win.

Im starting to think that when Capcom said nerf jab AA, people took that as that they would remove jab AA.

The problem with jab AA is that is was super reliable and an easy go to AA with no risk. Alex can still land a jab AA but its super unreliable and the knockback from it messes with the oki it used to have.

and imo maybe theres too much of hitbox on Gief's jab AA, but if it didn't AA it'd be a useless button. Theres little to no combo potential from it and its not a good poke. I rarely see a Gief use it neutral.

Sayad

So...you do just want to jump in easier. No sympathy from me, sorry lol
To be fair to Zombegoast, I don't think Nash has a "deep" jump in that could beat a well timed good jab aa, but he also didn't in season 1. Just stick with cross ups against characters with good aa, Zombegoast. ;p

The only AA jabs that make sense in terms of their animation are Gief, Sim, and Chun-Li. Others like Ryu, Necalli, Alex, Karin, Juri and whoever else just throws out their elbow/fist in a straight line and is able to hit people at the apex of their jump or even behind their own head like in that clipped I posted before just doesn't make sense to me. With that said, I don't think Chun-Li deserves hers and Alex does due to their toolsets.

Capcom also tried to do away with the jump back OS early last year. All they did is make it ever so slightly more difficult to do than it was before. Similar to the AA jabs that got nerfed. AA jabs still shouldn't beat cross-ups though. That is bullshit.

However, take note that a lot of cross-ups also got their hitboxes shrunk...like Karin's cross-up MK (as in that video)

That doesn't mean it should get beat by an AA jab when she's behind his head. If Gief's AA jab was 3f like Necalli's it would have still been beat in that same situation because it doesn't hit behind his head, just above and in front of him(because it's a downward chop animation). People complained about Birdie's cMP beating just about anything, even cross-ups. But at least it's a medium button and has more startup.

But I forget who I'm actually replying to, The Spin Dragon. Why even bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom