• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I hadn't realized SFV was still full price on Steam.

Capcom pls. I mean I already own it, but it really shouldn't be full price.

DD-11

Why is it so hard to get ex bull horn? No idea why I sometimes get the regular version or nothing at all... Especially on wakeup.

Hutchie

I hadn't realized SFV was still full price on Steam.

Capcom pls. I mean I already own it, but it really shouldn't be full price.

Theres enough content to justify £40 now but they really should drop it to attract new faces.

Please let Akuma be free, think that would be a brilliant gesture (so not going to happen)

Skab

You know, I've been thinking. I'll be really surprised if Oro isn't in the next season of characters released. It makes too much sense at this point.

Before all the characters were announced, bornfree put up a video speculating on who would be in based on some merchandising deals that were made. The video focused on two characters specifically, Oro and Alex. And obviously Alex turned out to be correct.

He also shows up in game, voice acted, in both Sim and Karins character stories, plus they wrote that whole two part short story about Sim and Oro.

And on the gameplay side, his move set would transfer over pretty will to the v system. Trigger probably being him taking out his other arm (which he already does in 3, but people seem to forget that.)

So yeah, I'd be surprised to not see him.

Or maybe I'm just a crazy person.

Not really, that's why I put him on the OP
K69uBb6.jpg

mooncakes

Started to picking up and learning Guile and played some casuals yesterday at my university. It drives me nuts when people dont jump when I play guile.

Zackat

Started to picking up and learning Guile and played some casuals yesterday at my university. It drives me nuts when people dont jump when I play guile.

guile players love me.

I bet they get angry as fuck when lauras j.LK stuffs their non-ex flash kicks.

FluxWaveZ

yeah i dont know how to play this game

GGs. Might just be a general lack of experience or actual matches played; it seems my Guile's level caught up to your Bison's in the 8-9 days since I've picked him up. For me, # of matches played has always been directly proportional to my ability in these games.

Flux might not be okay with this lol

Ha, I play a few other characters, and I'm looking to pick up Nash starting today.

i started drawing again to relieve stress or w/e and i drew my sfv fiends

tumblr_ogi9pfUiRd1tbntq6o1_400.jpg

they look like a twilight poster or some shit tho

Yes, they look twilight esq...not a good thing IMO. You have some skills, but Laura's mouth looks hideous man. Why you do that to my girl dawg?

He didn't come up in their scene over there though. I think that is what matters. Where you learned how to play and the scene you came from.

I consider Justin Wong an american player, for instance.

I get what you're saying. Still doesn't quite refute what I"m saying either.

And of course Justin Wong is an american player, he was born here. However, that doesn't take away his chinese lineage either, lol.

FWIW the reason people point out where somebody is from it's because they practiced with the people from that region, came up through that region's system, etc. What matters is where and how they learned, not the color of their skin. An American doing this well is more or less validating that people in the current American tournament scene have everything that they need to be able to compete with other regions.

Not saying the color of his skin matters. Just that...he's still asian.

Skab

GGs. Might just be a general lack of experience or actual matches played; it seems my Guile's level caught up to your Bison's in the 8-9 days since I've picked him up. For me, # of matches played has always been directly proportional to my ability in these games.

Oh dude, don't do me like that. I've been playing since beta 1. I'm just bad/dont know how to improve.

Guile I just dont know the match up well. I rarely run into them online for whatever reason. Plus he seems like a really bad match up in general for Bison. He has absolutely no way to get in on him.

Mika on the other hand just feels impossible to play against. No matter how many times I sit in the training room and try to figure out counters to her shit/how to punish her stuff/etc, I just get completely mauled by her.

I know everyone talks about how much they expect Chun to get nerfed, but I honestly expect Mika to get hit the hardest. "Don't let her get started" is not the way to balance a character.

FluxWaveZ

Oh dude, don't do me like that. I've been playing since release. I'm just bad/dont know how to improve.

That could mean a lot of things, though. I've been playing since release as well, but I've also played a total of ~12,500 matches across Ranked and Casual, and probably a total of around 14,500 matches if we include Battle Lounge, tournaments and weeklies. I find that, had I not played that much, my pool of experience definitely would not be as deep as it is now, and it's not even that deep.

I think you're placing too much importance on the individual MUs and not enough on the overall fundamentals. We could go for another set and I could show you what I mean, if you want.

Skab

That could mean a lot of things, though. I've been playing since release as well, but I've also played a total of ~12,500 matches across Ranked and Casual, and probably a total of around 14,500 matches if we include Battle Lounge, tournaments and weeklies. I find that, had I not played that much, my pool of experience definitely would not be as deep as it is now, and it's not even that deep.

I think you're placing too much importance on the individual MUs and not enough on the overall fundamentals. We could go for another set and I could show you what I mean, if you want.

Oh I know it isn't just the match ups. You are a far far better player than I am. I'm confident you could beat me just as badly with any character you choose to play.

FluxWaveZ

Oh I know it isn't just the match ups. You are a far far better player than I am. I'm confident you could beat me just as badly with any character you choose to play.

I don't know about just as badly but, yeah, the thing is that I also have a base understanding of most of the cast, as well as some of the fundamentals I've acquired from my experience. There are a few real basic things that you were letting me get away with in both sets, especially the Mika one, where I decided to just go absolutely wild since it was working.

1. Bison's got a couple of good AAs, but you were still constantly letting me jump in for free. That should be shut down real quick and with priority, because the opponent can get all over you otherwise.

2. Punishes are very important, especially Bison's Crush Counter ones. Look back at the replays during our Guile set, and you'll see that you never once CC'ed me when I screwed up a somersault. You'd go for a very low damage combo, which was sometimes dropped. That's some simple stuff that you can sharpen up with some time in Training mode.

Ha, I play a few other characters, and I'm looking to pick up Nash starting today.
I just got Nash to level 30 today, which is the level I'm trying to get every character to.
I feel like once I've gotten to 30 I have a basic understanding of the character and am familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, it only took me 2 days of playing to do it. Just steamrolled everyone after I got a handle on him. I've been playing Ibuki for 2 weeks and still haven't made it to 30.

So what I'm saying is, enjoy beating everyone's ass.

FluxWaveZ

I just got Nash to level 30 today, which is the level I'm trying to get every character to.
I feel like once I've gotten to 30 I have a basic understanding of the character and am familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, it only took me 2 days of playing to do it. Just steamrolled everyone after I got a handle on him. I've been playing Ibuki for 2 weeks and still haven't made it to 30.

So what I'm saying is, enjoy beating everyone's ass.

I think I have the same goal in mind, but maybe not with every character. Dabbling into several will definitely give me a better understanding of their weaknesses and strengths, and it would at least ensure that I know what I'm talking about when I speak of balance.

And if Nash can be picked up that quickly, then great. I feel like my 9-day Guile has caught up to my Balrog and I've been playing the latter since his release.

Gren

I don't know about just as badly but, yeah, the thing is that I also have a base understanding of most of the cast, as well as some of the fundamentals I've acquired from my experience. There are a few real basic things that you were letting me get away with in both sets, especially the Mika one, where I decided to just go absolutely wild since it was working.

1. Bison's got a couple of good AAs, but you were still constantly letting me jump in for free. That should be shut down real quick and with priority, because the opponent can get all over you otherwise.

2. Punishes are very important, especially Bison's Crush Counter ones. Look back at the replays during our Guile set, and you'll see that you never once CC'ed me when I screwed up a somersault. You'd go for a very low damage combo, which was sometimes dropped. That's some simple stuff that you can sharpen up with some time in Training mode.
FWIW I don't think Nash's somersaults can be crushed on recovery.

EDIT: Oop, my mistake. Thought you were talking bout Nash.

I heard this about Season 2:

8 characters total: Akuma, Sagat, Oro, Sakura, Fei Long, C. Viper, & 2 new characters.

Dunno if its true. Take it with spoonful of salt.

Fei Long isn't getting in. The rest of what you said is a safe bet. I really doubt they'll add Abel and Azam tbh. C. Viper maybe. I do see Seth coming back but maybe not this Season (god I hope not).

Fuck it, here's my wishlist for characters in SF5's future.

(i) E.Honda [I think we all know I like Honda]

(ii) Gouken or Sakura [Love both of them, but getting both is a bit unrealistic]

(iii) Hakan or Hugo [same story]

(iv) Poison

I'm also ready to be blown away by new characters/returning characters like Azam, Oro, Ed etc.

JayEH

All this game needs is Dudley. For new characters I'd rather get characters that aren't already "known" (e.g. Ed).

I want to see footsies to make a return. Also Green Hands and Decapre. Decided to play Zangief and ran into the same Fang player twice.

My wishlist, in order:

Veterans:

>Q
>Poison
>Makoto
>Maki
>Sean
>T. Hawk (preferably with a dramatic redesign)

New characters:

>Tiffany Lords (screw you I need her)
>Azam
>Ed
>Lucia
>Ruby Heart

Razzorn34

I heard this about Season 2:

8 characters total: Akuma, Sagat, Oro, Sakura, Fei Long, C. Viper, & 2 new characters.

Dunno if its true. Take it with spoonful of salt.

Sounds like a good list, which means it won't be true. Unfortunately. I'm still hoping we get a Tekken character. Heihachi or Kazumi would be pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom