• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

So how many of you guys are using an arcade stick, you find it easier than the normal DS4 pad?

there is an adaptation period with a stick, even if you are used to playing in an arcade in the good old days

stick with it (lol) and it will eventually feel better

So how many of you guys are using an arcade stick, you find it easier than the normal DS4 pad?

With the 2017 deluxe edition..if I grind out Most of the FM stuff with every character I should be set for characters for season 3-4 right? Not sure If the current psn deluxe edition is a good value. Not discounted, like a new release game price.

Im used to getting full rosters of characters from day one in the good old Days. Why is this different now, is every character balanced to 100% and thats why they roll them out so slowly? (beside that I fully suopport this business model rather then new releases every 1-2 year)

This or Tekken 7 hmmm decision decisions..I guess the cross play is a big advantage for SFV in the long run.

I prefere my stick but I can play on a ds4 if needed. When I played these games as a teen I always used PS controllers. This is the first time I have bothered with a stick. Even though I prefer a stick overall there are still some advantages with a good pad as well. For example I can sometimes accidently jump with a stick as it springs up if I release it where as with a DS4 that never happens.

Regardless all you need to know is this. The guy who just won the Capcom cup and is basicaly the best player i the world did it with a DS4.

As for the game I personally think its worth the full amount as long as you are buying it to play online. You will get hours upon hours of fun out of it over years as more content is released.

I also think buying characters with fightmoney is the worst use of it. If you buy the season passes as they come out you get 6 characters plus there battle costume and all the colours for their main and battle costume. That costs a ton of Fight money. Better to use fight money for stages, all the default colours for the standard cast and other things like story costumes and titles etc.

I dont really think £20 or what ever it is ever 6-12 months for a character pass it that unreasonable really. Its also worth having all the characters regardless of whether you want to use them or not because you can learn how they fight and how to fight against them. Plus as balence patches come in you may find a character you didnt like before you now like if they change enough.

Also fighting games havnt released with all the characters from the start for a long time. They would realse a new addition with new characters that you then had to buy to keep up. This way you can just buy the base game and stick with that for the whole of its life if thats what you want to do. Or you buy grind fightmoney or just pay the modest sum for each character bundle. Its a pretty good system.

The only thing I wouldnt mind seeing is a way of them making the base game free with 2 free characters on rotation every week. then offer options for them to buy parts of the base game or unlock it all for a set amount etc. I think having a free base like this could boost the player base by quite a bit if done right seeing as it has the name behind it.

mbpm1

Because necalli represents every single problem of SFV perfectly.
tumblr_ojcewnWXsw1vm0djpo1_400.gif

RM8

I'm improving with Juri :)

I'm getting a ton of 40002 errors :( This is on my end, right? I swear it's been happen super often lately...

Edit: okay, no SFV tonight, I'm getting this error in every single match. I'll play some MKX online... on PC, lol.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Also fighting games havnt released with all the characters from the start for a long time.

King of Fighters, released 2016. All characters available from the start (well, you have to play through story mode once.)

Skullgirls

Every Tekken game ever. Zero DLC characters

myco666

King of Fighters, released 2016. All characters available from the start (well, you have to play through story mode once.)

Skullgirls

Skullgirls had 8 characters at launch. Now it has 14(?).

Not sure if Tekken has DLC but first release in arcades has usually less characters than the console version.

Skullgirls

SkullGirls had five DLC characters, namely Squigly, Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Furtune. 2nd Encore did release with all characters for PS4, but that version of the game was released 3 years after the game originally came out.

EDIT: Also Fukua.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
2nd Encore is totally what SFV is going to be doing. A new version with everything included. Still had DLC characters, though.

And with KOF...if it's anything like past entries, we might see another one based on this one and it'll be $60 if that happens, like XII and XIII.

TTT2 basically had timed-exclusive characters, but it's true, Tekken does not have that history. But that's also why you still can't play 7 at home yet.

Mediking

How do I activate the special versions of outfits?

And I hate how the super tough guys in Battle Lounge wont even play me because I'm Bronze even though they claim "Anyone will do." :(

Isn't KoF XIV also getting DLC characters? They had a survey asking people what characters they'd like to see show up in the game. (that aren't already in the game of course)

In this brave new world, practically every fighting game is going to get DLC which is perfectly fine.

Mediking

Up on the stick, three punches and light kick at the same time.

Hold down Up + all three punch buttons (L1 on the controller/stick is the easiest option) + light kick (X on the controller)

Hold down this combination while the match is loading up until your intro has played just to be safe.

Up
all three punches
light kick

:p

!!?!?!?!?!?! IT WORKED?!?!?!?! Oh, Cammy!!!!!

Just got destroyed by a Silver Fang in Casual....

Checking Laura with jabs almost let me take a game from a good Laura player. Damn if I wasn't garbage. Smug has the right idea.

Also, it's neat that they have an in-game message for maintenance. I never noticed that before.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Untrue - SG intended to have DLC characters from the first release. Also I thought TTT2 added a lot of characters later on, like Dr B.?

All the TTT2 characters were included in the console launch.

Oh, yeah, forgot about the free DLC characters for Skullgirls, they were part of the Kickstarter, whoops.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Isn't KoF XIV also getting DLC characters? They had a survey asking people what characters they'd like to see show up in the game. (that aren't already in the game of course)

In this brave new world, practically every fighting game is going to get DLC which is perfectly fine.

There's been no announcement of any plans for DLC characters in KOF14. They did have a poll about character popularity for guys ho aren't in the game though.

T-minus 20 minutes.

Damn. I thought it was in a couple of hours and wanted to get some casual matches in before then. On the bright side, in that case it wont be too late when they finish, barring any unexpected delays.

Oh, yeah, forgot about the free DLC characters for Skullgirls, they were part of the Kickstarter, whoops.

Those characters were only free for a limited time. Currently they cost about $2 apiece or come as part of the paid 2nd Encore upgrade:
http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/245170

ElFly

I wish street fighter would leave behind the undignified dashes and go with full runs

people like Ryu look silly jumping back and forth all the time. just make it a decent looking run like in KOF

Capcom, pls

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You're basically asking for an entirely different game if you want every character to have a run.

Ah man, just booted up the game for the first time in a week, get into a casual match withe Gold Ken, win the first round, theeennnn servers are down. Great.

Why is there maintenance time, what are they doing??

Edzi

Ah man, just booted up the game for the first time in a week, get into a casual match withe Gold Ken, win the first round, theeennnn servers are down. Great.

Why is there maintenance time, what are they doing??

They're fixing the busted matchmaking.

For people who are pad players, and specifically on the DS4, I assume you use the analog stick? Because the control "pad" (four buttons) seems like it would be impossible.

What button layout? I get the face buttons for lk, mk, lp, mp, but what are the two heavy buttons? L1/R1?

Hitting two buttons at the same time seems awkward too. Do you hold the controller normally or with some weird claw grip?

Do you adjust stick sensitivities/dead zone?

I would love to be able to play pad and not have to bust out and plug in my stick every time. Knowing there are top-tier pad players has me tempted to convert.

Edit: Thank goodness for these matchmaking fixes. It seemed like there just wasn't any matchmaking happening at all and it was completely random up to a point. I'm a bronze/Super bronze and fought so many silvers up to ultra silver. Fuck that.

ElFly

You're basically asking for an entirely different game if you want every character to have a run.

I am asking for something that doesn't look stupid

it would change things, prolly for the better too. running would change combos and setups so you need to time them better if you have to run in between. things would be less consistent so the skill ceiling could raise a lot without it being artificially inflated

For people who are pad players, and specifically on the DS4, I assume you use the analog stick? Because the control "pad" (four buttons) seems like it would be impossible.

What button layout? I get the face buttons for lk, mk, lp, mp, but what are the two heavy buttons? L1/R1?

Hitting two buttons at the same time seems awkward too. Do you hold the controller normally or with some weird claw grip?

I would love to be able to play pad and not have to bust out and plug in my stick every time. Knowing there are top-tier pad players has me tempted to convert.

Edit: Thank goodness for these matchmaking fixes. It seemed like there just wasn't any matchmaking happening at all and it was completely random up to a point. I'm a bronze/Super bronze and fought so many silvers up to ultra silver. Fuck that.

I use pad. some people use both, depending on situation, and either switch their finger or claw

on DS4 my buttons are

[] = LP
X = LK
T = HP
O = HK
R1 = MP
R2 = MK
L1 = V-Skill
L2 = depends on character. Zangief at least it's PPP for easy lariat

that way I have grabs and V-Trigger on face buttons

LakeEarth

I play on a DS4.
- I have no problems playing on the pad, feels as good as any other d-pad to me although I know this is subjective
- I have no problems pressing two face buttons or two trigger buttons at the same time, BUT I have a very hard time pressing a face and a trigger button at the same time. It's the reason why I never do EX upwards fireball with Urien, which is a shame because I'm missing out on some damaging combos. It's lame that SF5 button config doesn't let you map LP+HP, just LP+MP+HP (which translates to MP+HP for special moves)
- while most people are fine with the default, I usually switch a few buttons to make it SNES style, where L1 is heavy punch and R1 is heavy kick, making L2 and R2 3P and 3K, respectively.

JayEH

I use D pad and most pad players do. The game is meant for digital inputs not analog.
Though there was a top XBL player who uses the stick. If it's more comfortable for you do that then.

When I hit two buttons for ex I usually do LP + HP (Square + R1) and the same for kicks. The only thing I find difficult is doing some Ibuki combos that want two face buttons for ex.

Skilletor

I am asking for something that doesn't look stupid

it would change things, prolly for the better too. running would change combos and setups so you need to time them better if you have to run in between. things would be less consistent so the skill ceiling could raise a lot without it being artificially inflated

Just play KoF, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom