• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just play KoF, imo.
I was gonna say the same thing lol.

Why not play a game that already has running as a crucial component rather than want an existing franchise to add it?

For people who are pad players, and specifically on the DS4, I assume you use the analog stick? Because the control "pad" (four buttons) seems like it would be impossible.

What button layout? I get the face buttons for lk, mk, lp, mp, but what are the two heavy buttons? L1/R1?

Hitting two buttons at the same time seems awkward too. Do you hold the controller normally or with some weird claw grip?

Do you adjust stick sensitivities/dead zone?

I would love to be able to play pad and not have to bust out and plug in my stick every time. Knowing there are top-tier pad players has me tempted to convert.

Edit: Thank goodness for these matchmaking fixes. It seemed like there just wasn't any matchmaking happening at all and it was completely random up to a point. I'm a bronze/Super bronze and fought so many silvers up to ultra silver. Fuck that.
I use the default setup for the DS4, and haven't changed any of the sensitivities.

I use the analog stick for damn near everything with the only exception being more than one dashes or neutral jumping which is where I use the D-Pad.

ElFly

Pick Rashid?

Rashid is great about this cause he also has a special coming out of running

other characters could keep some momentum after running so they'd combo better

of course this could be possible with dashing too (IIRC marvel does it?) but capcom dgaf and prefers everyone spasming around like idiots

I was gonna say the same thing lol.

Why not play a game that already has running as a crucial component rather than want an existing franchise to add it?

if this was a good argument we wouldn't have super moves in SF, so why not improve SF instead

JayEH

It looks real dumb that Ryu just sits there and blocks a fireball. If only he could maybe step to the side and avoid it...

For people who are pad players, and specifically on the DS4, I assume you use the analog stick? Because the control "pad" (four buttons) seems like it would be impossible.

What button layout? I get the face buttons for lk, mk, lp, mp, but what are the two heavy buttons? L1/R1?

Hitting two buttons at the same time seems awkward too. Do you hold the controller normally or with some weird claw grip?

Do you adjust stick sensitivities/dead zone?

I would love to be able to play pad and not have to bust out and plug in my stick every time. Knowing there are top-tier pad players has me tempted to convert.

Edit: Thank goodness for these matchmaking fixes. It seemed like there just wasn't any matchmaking happening at all and it was completely random up to a point. I'm a bronze/Super bronze and fought so many silvers up to ultra silver. Fuck that.

If i use the ds4 its
Left thumb on pad
Right thumb on face
Pointers on triggers and bumpers.
L2 is v trigger and L1 is eiter all punchers or all kicks for v reversal.

ElFly

It looks real dumb that Ryu just sits there and blocks a fireball. If only he could maybe step to the side and avoid it...

if only he had a move where he could like ... parry it

That's not the reason. You obliterate huge parts of the neutral with a run.
It's not an improvement, it's a different game then.

you could always add minimum run distance and a small recovery if it is too bad, but just have it be a continuous thing instead of the weird move characters do nowadays

I use D pad and most pad players do. The game is meant for digital inputs not analog.
Though there was a top XBL player who uses the stick. If it's more comfortable for you do that then.

When I hit two buttons for ex I usually do LP + HP (Square + R1) and the same for kicks. The only thing I find difficult is doing some Ibuki combos that want two face buttons for ex.

With that d-pad, for a fireball motion for example do you sort of roll your thumb across the down then right button? So the first contact point would be lower down on your thumb for the down input, then hitting both down and right, then roll off the down button so you're just pressing right closer to your thumb tip?

Or do just move one contact point on your thumb from one directional button to another?

I'm getting blisters just thinking about it. I have tried it and it feels impossible.

Dahbomb

I use D pad and use the following set up on DS4.

*Face buttons defAult.
*R1 HP, L1 HK. Feels weird to use the triggers for face buttons.
*R2 for Throw. Really need that one button throw.
*L2 for triple input specific to the character for V reversal. So for Cammy I have L2 mapped to triple kicks.

Works out fine for me, I don't use claw style either... pretty much all thumbs and then four fingers for the back. I normally use [] + / or X + O for EX moves by using my thumb to press both at same time.

So I was playing Akuma for a while after the got released but a few days ago I switched by to my main Cammy to practice for a local tournament this weekend. It really made me wish that Cammy had a fireball and a crush counter that could hit crouching opponents. Really I just wish all my characters had everything while my opponents' characters had nothing. I was also trying to do bHP as an anti-air for a while before I readjusted my brain back into Cammy-mode. Is being able to switch characters without getting your brain confused something that goes away eventually? I've only ever really had one main in any given fighting game.

Marvel

could never
A friend if mine doesn't understand how I play Bison on D-Pad lol, I find it much easier than using a fightstick or analog stick. One positive I'll give the DS4 is it's D-Pad.

So good.

MrCarter

giphy.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
With that d-pad, for a fireball motion for example do you sort of roll your thumb across the down then right button? So the first contact point would be lower down on your thumb for the down input, then hitting both down and right, then roll off the down button so you're just pressing right closer to your thumb tip?

Or do just move one contact point on your thumb from one directional button to another?

I'm getting blisters just thinking about it. I have tried it and it feels impossible.
Rolling is key. Don't even think about trying to use the tip of your thumb. Maybe lots of people do that and I'm the weirdo, but rolling seems like the obviously correct technique to me.

RM8

I have been 100% d-pad all my life. Am I missing something by not using the analogue stick at all? I honestly don't feel like that's the case :x

Is Laura legit going to be Mika 2.0 for S2?

This site made a guide solely to counter her.

I dont think its the same. Mika was a pain is S1 mostly because that clap was so safe and would lead to lots of damage, a corner carry and the other player was sat doing nothing for far to long. Laura has a strong mix up game but there are lots of times where you can counter her blender if you guess right. S1 mika got 1 clap and you felt like dropping the controller.

I use D pad and use the following set up on DS4.

*Face buttons defAult.
*R1 HP, L1 HK. Feels weird to use the triggers for face buttons.
*R2 for Throw. Really need that one button throw.
*L2 for triple input specific to the character for V reversal. So for Cammy I have L2 mapped to triple kicks.

Works out fine for me, I don't use claw style either... pretty much all thumbs and then four fingers for the back. I normally use [] + / or X + O for EX moves by using my thumb to press both at same time.
I have a similar set up, only my throw is L2 and I think my V-skill is L1. I'm thinking about changing one of my face buttons to throw, it's easier to tech than the trigger, not sure if I could adjust to lk being on top though...

DS4 would be perfect if it came with 2 regular shoulder buttons. Sometimes, I'm sure I'm throw teching, but still get thrown because I didn't push the L2 trigger in deep enough for a response.

Kashiwaba

Ucchedavāda;227791692 said:
Nah, the servers were down for about 2½ hours this time.
Still an improvement, I'll grant you that.

They fixed the match-making, which would queue you up with people way outside your LP range.

matchmaking was matching people with too big of a difference in LP

oh

still!

That's nice hopefully they start working on more meaningful daily challenges too.

I hate running in fighting games tbh. That's why I never play Rashid.

I only need a running character in anime fighters, because walkspeeds are often painfully slow there.

while most people are fine with the default, I usually switch a few buttons to make it SNES style, where L1 is heavy punch and R1 is heavy kick, making L2 and R2 3P and 3K, respectively.

Grew up with sf2 on the snes so yeah I can't play 6 button fighters any other way either, dunno why sf4 changed it smh.

A combination of both, but more rolling, but then again I got huge blisters from the dreamcast dpad, so now my thumb is kinda numb to any further punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom