• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

I don't really see the "Balrog is too strong" stuff. He is only good in the hands of a genuinely good player, same situation as Urien. Balrog's resets can definitely get punished if they don't work out, and it's not like he has a command grab to turn it into a vortex situation.

Same couldn't be said for S1 Mika and to some extent, S1 Chun.

Urien, I feel, has almost no weakness to his game at this point. He's buff, he has damage, he has normals, he has the best trigger in the game, a good super, a good reversal and most of his stuff is just safe. Now he's got AA's, so you can't even jump at him anymore. I don't think he's as good as S1 Chun, but that's a high bar. I think he may be the best in the game now.

Balrog has OD damage and his shit feels almost unreactable. If he gets a low forward you probably lose. Watch PR Rog run people over after losing an entire round just because he gets one c.mk and they guess wrong ONCE on the mix-up is pretty rough. He's really good, but I don't know if he's worth complaining about. I understand why people are hating that fight, particularly with rollback.

So I looked at my V-League profile for the first time for my new account...

https://v-league.pro/player/bar_bar012/profile

Apparently I had a 74 win streak at some point? And my Ranked winning percentage is 72% which I'm very happy with. But apparently I also get destroyed by Guiles (Only beat 1 out of 10), and Giefs :/, so I need to work on those matchups.

Also I noticed they fixed the LP range for matchmaking, I'm only getting matched with Platinums and diamonds, which is fine by me, since I no longer have to lose 150 points if I play sloppy one match and get beat by a gold player.

Urien, I feel, has almost no weakness to his game at this point. He's buff, he has damage, he has normals, he has the best trigger in the game, a good super, a good reversal and most of his stuff is just safe. Now he's got AA's, so you can't even jump at him anymore. I don't think he's as good as S1 Chun, but that's a high bar. I think he may be the best in the game now.

If you know his AR setups that's half his game out the window right there, he doesn't have a 3f anything, his ex headbutt is slowwww as fuck and is easily punished (CC able?) as long as you aren't minus, and a bunch of his normals come out slow. Just knowing what is plus/safe after his turn is going to save people a lot of issues.

A lot of what Urien wants to do is stay on the offensive. Don't let him do that.

That all being said, I still think he's top 3 easily. Not S1 Chun top 3, but definitely among the best.

Onemic

If you know his AR setups that's half his game out the window right there, he doesn't have a 3f anything, his ex headbutt is slowwww as fuck and is easily punished (CC able?) as long as you aren't minus, and a bunch of his normals come out slow. Just knowing what is plus/safe after his turn is going to save people a lot of issues.

A lot of what Urien wants to do is stay on the offensive. Don't let him do that.

That all being said, I still think he's top 3 easily. Not S1 Chun top 3, but definitely among the best.

Easier said than done

Nah Urien needs some meter to be dishonest. S1 Chun didn't need meter. Who needs meter when IAL gets you in for free or you can finish the round with instant overhead or a crossup that lands you on the same side or AA LK or f. HP.

Rather fight a Urien over, S1 or S2, Chun anyday.

Moaradin

Urien has slow start up and recovery on his moves, his EX Reversal isn't very good, and his defense isn't the best. He's a very good character but he's not without flaws. He can be shut out pretty hard by characters like FANG and Guile. And characters that get in his face like Cammy can be a problem.

Urien always had AA.

They weren't nearly as reliable as they are now.

pizzacat

Banned
Probably on purpose. Fighting games love to pay homage to eachother.

While we're at it:
Urien vs Seth [comparison]

This gives me hope Seth will never be in this game.

why wouldn't he?

also seth had hella clones, whos to say that urien and gill arent rogue ones like abel

I could totally see capcom retconning some shit and reintroducing seth like that

he can play like omega seth that had the motion chariot tackle and the slow boom setups so gdlk

joe2187

Banned
What's with people not hitting rematch all of a sudden now?

Never had a problem in season 1 with people just peacing out after one fight, now I feel like it's every other fight. No matter if I won or lost.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
why wouldn't he?

also seth had hella clones, whos to say that urien and gill arent rogue ones like abel

I could totally see capcom retconning some shit and reintroducing seth like that

he can play like omega seth that had the motion chariot tackle and the slow boom setups so gdlk
Because it's pretty unusual to copy moves like that and then have that character in the game, too.

And I really really hope they don't include Seth unless we're at 50 characters or something. Maybe the worst mainline game character ever.

joe2187

Banned
Season 2 is the saltiest season yet

Just got this message not ten seconds ago

JjvxINO.png

Mediking

Akuma has goofy combos that stun you within seconds.

Urien has very cool looking moves and he's incredibly deadly in the right hands.

I don't even main Urien but I love seeing people do that cool move where you spam out a purple window thing and hit people into it.

One of my most exhilarating things about SFV is when somebody does their CA on you and you launch right back into fighting.

A Ryu did a CA on me because I was pressuring him and I just jumped right back into hitting him. It was so hype.

Marvel

could never
I don't know if it was back MP or crHP but I swear I just hit an Ibuki kunai out of the air doing so lol. Amazing little touch by capcom.

(Ken)

Kashiwaba

I dont even know how lag switching even works.

Although I always find it funny how the connection turns to shit conveniently when Im about to win or make a comeback when I play against some PC players.
Ya happenes to me a lot but as a rashid player i can't complain lol lag is a godsend for us. Also Rashid himself is a lag switch.

Edzi

Failure to retrieve data errors really kill any motivation for playing ranked. Half the fun is seeing the points get added at the end of every round, not hearing an error and seeing blank scores.

Have they even acknowledged this is an issue?

Yeah, that's all it is. Not sure why there has to be more to it.

Maybe it was just the "COPY PASTE?" click bait thumbnail that threw me off.

Failure to retrieve data errors really kill any motivation for playing ranked. Half the fun is seeing the points get added at the end of every round, not hearing an error and seeing blank scores.

Have they even acknowledged this is an issue?

Since day 1

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Casuals has been generous today with people actually at the same rank as me. Though I did just fight a guile who only wanted to practice footsies with mk.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They changed something about casual, too. I used to mostly play higher ranked characters as a Platinum and now I'm playing a lot of ultra golds.

Also, holy shit, Zangief is SO FUCKING SCARY now. People have no idea yet.

Just got this message not ten seconds ago

JjvxINO.png

The game uses peer-to-peer connections for matches, so the servers being shit shouldn't impact you once the match has started. It's more likely that you two just did not have a good connection to each other, or that
you forgot to turn off your lag-switch. :p

Alex ain't getting that, short of a brand new V-Trigger. His existing V-Trigger is already fairly good so it wouldn't make sense to buff anything else while it's activated. Any buffs he gets are gonna be constant buffs.

Birdie's gameplan doesn't really change when he's in V-Trigger, it's just that he gets some better tools and the reward for successfully doing something is increased because of the greater damage and oki. He still has to make the right calls to get those since his frame data doesn't change that much outside of blocked bullhead.
A V-Trigger damage buff that goes away with V-Trigger would be more reasonable than one that never goes away. My way of compromising, but I could live without it. His parry might be the very best tool he currently has (saying a lot considering he has f.HP) and it is V-Trigger exclusive. A V-Trigger buff would be at the very bottom of my hypothetical change list for him.
I don't really see the "Balrog is too strong" stuff. He is only good in the hands of a genuinely good player, same situation as Urien. Balrog's resets can definitely get punished if they don't work out, and it's not like he has a command grab to turn it into a vortex situation.

Same couldn't be said for S1 Mika and to some extent, S1 Chun.

Balrog has OD damage and his shit feels almost unreactable. If he gets a low forward you probably lose. Watch PR Rog run people over after losing an entire round just because he gets one c.mk and they guess wrong ONCE on the mix-up is pretty rough. He's really good, but I don't know if he's worth complaining about. I understand why people are hating that fight, particularly with rollback.
Balrog deniers are gonna look like Baghdad Bob by the end of this year. Ya'll can boomark this post in a year for crow serving purposes if I'm wrong.

Edit: I forgot something. I don't own Balrog, so I can't really say much about how easy his is to play, but I do own and use Urien. I win fights I have no business winning with a ten hour Urien. Like, the second time I picked him I think I perfected or NEARLY perfected Countblack in the first round. I got my assed kicked afterwards, but something is definitely wrong with that character (or maybe he is a model other characters should be balanced after?) haha. I look forward to learning him and applying the cheese myself.

Jeez Akuma's overhead reaches so far. Clipped a guy with it from quite a distance.

Finally made it to super platinum with Akuma, and I made it through beating a diamond Necalli named Nick Tanella. Feels good man.

Marvel

could never
I actually say in my mind over and over "Don't jump" when fighting Akuma lol. Because I used him too and know full well how good that backHP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom