• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Producer

I figured out how to do cr.LP (2) x Arrow with a Controller.

It's more like a Mortal Kombat input. Just don't focus on doing the motion, just pushing forward does it. Nice.

Nice. Next step is trying to confirm it. Put the dummy on random block and try to cancel into spiral arrow on hit only.

kobu

A-fucking-men.

Let me block any country south of the American border. This sounds hella racist and xenophobic but IDGAF they got such bad connections. Got better connections against SWEDEN!

would be happy if I never had to fight anyone from brazil in a fighting game online for the rest of my life

KingBroly

Banned
Nice. Next step is trying to confirm it. Put the dummy on random block and try to cancel into spiral arrow on hit only.

What I usually do is look at my Combo Counter, since it'll reset if you drop a combo.

cr.LP (2) x H.Arrow is 4 hits, so if you see 4 hits, you got it.

In case anyone's wondering why I'm not using my stick, it's because I'm lazy.

Bah, that seems super inconsistent too. Everything Vega does just seems really weird to deal with. Constant dives and sweeps from half screen keep me on my toes.

Btw, you play Alex too right? Any tips for the Akuma matchup? It seems to be giving more trouble than I think it should.

Its not. Try having do half screen ex barcelonas in training and see how good jMK and jLP can be. You get nothing good off them but it stops it.

You gotta put the pressure on 'em. Akuma has no health so if you're his face he's gonna want to get away until he can get back into neutral and take his turn. Keep in his face as much as possible. EX Knee goes through air fireball. I still need to fight more to get more specific things, but yeah you try keep as offensive as possible so he can't anything going.

Pachinko

ahh... well , decided to play some more of this for the first time in a couple weeks. I'd been slowly going through the cast again just to re-familiarize myself. Did a couple Ryu matches , then a couple ken matches , some with Rashid and then decided to try Cammy out again and lost a few times.

Today , I started with some Cammy and actually won my casual match (2-0) so I moved on to laura and had a pretty good match against a Vega player but ultimately came out ahead there too. Wondering who to futz with next , I picked Necalli and well... I got a match against an alleged 5 star connection with an american Ryu player but I felt like I was lagging 2 full second behind and the game was just constantly playing catchup to me so obviously I lost that one pretty badly. Thankfully I made up for it with the next one , beating a Zangief player by the skin of my teeth.

At one point in time I had a training list , an order to go through the cast from easiest to start with up to most difficult and I feel I've used most of the easier characters now so I guess I can move ahead to slightly harder to use characters - Balrog, Vega, Guile , Zangeif , Bison.... then I'm thinking after that there's Birdie, Chun Li , Nash, R.Mika, Juri, Ibuki and Urien before getting to the top end in complicated characters - Alex, Dhalsim, Fang, Akuma , Karin.

I mean, I've already kind of settled on "maining" Rashid for now but I feel like I can spend some time learning the basics of the whole cast while I'm at it to expand my mind a little anyway.

FinKL

Why didn't my crouching fierce CC? This has happened to me in training mode too when I practice the meaty but I always thought it was a bug that occurred when I reset my position.

https://youtu.be/B0I-erS-mHY
It's not a bug, if it's anything like Guiles crHP CC, it only CC if the first active frame connects. If it's the 2nd active frame it's just a normal counter

you could always say you got S1 Rog changes!

JayEH

It's not a bug, if it's anything like Guiles crHP CC, it only CC if the first active frame connects. If it's the 2nd active frame it's just a normal counter

Oh ok thanks. I'll have to use a more reliable meaty then.

A-fucking-men.

Let me block any country south of the American border. This sounds hella racist and xenophobic but IDGAF they got such bad connections. Got better connections against SWEDEN!

Well here in Sweden the standard is more or less 100mbit and above + unlimited, guess that helps although the distance

Femto.

I hate playing online past 11 PM (I"m PST) because I hardly get any matches. I've been waiting for nearly 10 - 15 minutes now. This is the same amount of wait time I get when I search for matches in Dead or Alive 5. A game that turns five this year, whereas SFV has been out for only a year and has been the juggernaut of fighting games forever. It doesn't happen too often, but enough to have me scratching my head since the game isn't that old.

It could have to do with my connection restriction settings (five bars only please), but even then I still have the same setting in DoA5.

I wasn't praising their balance though. I was only praising those games for having characters that feel powerful and that is a reason why those players love their game. I don't even think those games need to outright buff characters or are forbidden to nerf characters. They just need to make characters feel strong and fun. Compared to past games, almost every character in V feel much weaker, however some of them do feel fun. The others need to get buffed to feel as fun. Nemo talked about why he switched to Urien from claw. He mentioned that everything he found fun about claw in season 1 was nerfed. He's having a ton of fun with Urien now. Valle and Daigo mentioned the same with Ryu. Not that it really affects Daigo because he finds Guile, Urien, and Boxer fun. He's not glued to Ryu like some players who love their characters are.

And I could have named Vampire Hunter, but I just left it off for no particular reason. I didn't find a reason to list every game that proved that point.
I'm aware of what you meant. It's just that there are lots of "haves" and "have-nots" in MvC2 and 3S. In the case of those games "everyone" is basically Daigo and tournament players who like to use the viable characters that can actually do something in those game whereas "everyone" in vsav or SG is literally the entire audience because almost all of both casts besides Anak and Robo Fortune (who are both still strong characters) have straight up BS they can fall back on. In comparison most of the MvC2 cast and a lot of the 3S cast use gimmicks that will get crushed (just ask Alex, Necro, Remy, Twelve, etc) at mid and higher levels. For the most part you won't even hear SG and VSav players complaining about specific characters the way you would for Yun, Makoto or Chun Li in 3S. I guess the difference comes down to our definitions of something as simple as the word "everyone".

In b4 Wolf and Sas

Edit: Misread a pretty important part of your earlier post. Your "everyone" is talking about the characters and not people. That is what happens when people misread lol. We're both in agreement. Unfortunately Capcom will probably never just try to buff the weaker characters. Developers always have to spend time and resources on characters that already have the good stuff. It really annoys me that we might have to wait another year just for scraps.
A-fucking-men.

I just played some Skullgirls for the first time in a while and I'm amazed by how little difference there can be between a Northeastern 40 ping connection and a 200+ ping South American connection. For some reason some Californians and Floridians can rollback a little, but they're usually pretty stable too. If only money could buy better online infrastructure. :/
I'm just going to come out and say it: Laura is bullshit.
If I had to pick a gif to represent what fighting Laura feels like it would probably be two people fighting in a mud pit.

Bizazedo

I'm just going to come out and say it: Laura is bullshit.

Can someone cite for me another fighting game where the grapplers could move as fast as they can in V?

And I think I narrowed down (for me) why Urien is such a pain in the ass. His limbs are LONG compared to everyone elses. Same with Rog a bit.

Sheroking

Daigo was right. Just make everyone have BS. That's what Guilty Gear players love about their game. That's what 3S players love about their game. That's what Marvel players love about their game.

Let them fight.

I fucking HATE this argument so much, regardless of who it's coming from.

Street Fighter isn't Marvel and Street Fighter isn't Guilty Gear. 3S is barely Street Fighter and that's why it's fans and boosters stand so far apart from the grouping of players who stuck around from ST through 4 and now 5.

Street Fighter is about honest neutral EVEN when it has some oppressive bullshit. For every Laura or AE 2012 vortex or Vega ST nonsense, most match-ups - most of the time are fairly honest. Balance matters here, and that's why it's EASILY the biggest competitive fighting game. It's what makes it different from everything else.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
One direction they are going with and I don't like is how most v-reversals only work against moves with very long animations like fierces and roundhouses. For many characters it's a pretty bad get-off-me move now.
And it's funny how Cammy's is now really good. Doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Karin's cr.hp is the same, I think.

Can someone cite for me another fighting game where the grapplers could move as fast as they can in V?

And I think I narrowed down (for me) why Urien is such a pain in the ass. His limbs are LONG compared to everyone elses. Same with Rog a bit.
And she has an overhead that can be safe. And fireballs that last forever. Been saying it for a year: she dumb.

ElFly

yeah, Urien's problem is that he has long limbs in a game of mostly stubby guys AND he doesn't pay for this privilege cause he has great tools and good health

at least he can't combo from some of the worse cases but that's only until Capcom rolls the balance dice again

This is probably the first SF where grapplers' command throws dont place them at full screen on hit.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What's with all the Rufus hate? He's my absolute favourite and I miss him. He had loads of fun corner stuff in SFxT as well.

I have my first wee tournament of the year coming up next weekend (though I rarely attend more than one a year, really) and I'd been hoping to use Ibuki but, having undertaken an arbitrary quest to get every character to at least level 30 (inspired by getting all characters to B rank in SSFIV), I've recently started enjoying M Bison a lot more. I've also had more success with him than I had with Ibuki too, online at least.

I think I'll spend the week nailing down some Ibuki meaty timings and VTrigger resets and keep Bison in my pocket so that I can have some character variety while I drop out in the first hour 0 - 2.

I think it's his look rather than his moveset. I mean, Yun is clearly way nastier to play against.

Also, we should get some games in Joffington, I've started lazily playing this again.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm no pro by any means but I really don't think Guile is gonna end up as high as some people and pros seem to have him. He seems very solid to me, but IMO he lacks the tricks and big damage to outrank some of the other chars this season. Based on my experiences, though only in the silver range, and what I've seen online from pro players, I think it's characters like Laura, Balrog, Urien and maybe Akuma that are gonna shine.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out and how the tiers and meta develop as season 2 progresses.

He has

-Fantastic normals
-Highest damage in the corner with V-trigger of any character.
-Great Anti-Air
-Best fireball in the game
-Anti throw normal into full combo on regular or counter-hit (f+HK is a better version of Chuns instant air legs in S2)

He's only really lacking a 3 frame normal and 1-2 bar damage.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Blazblue, bullet goes at a pace!

Xrd, May

VF, El Blaze

Tekken, any grappler

KoF, Vice has the second highest runspeed in the game

SF4, Makotos dash is ridiculously fast

SFV grapplers are all among the slowest moving characters, compare Lauras walkspeed to say, Guile.

Blazblue, bullet goes at a pace!

Xrd, May

VF, El Blaze

Tekken, any grappler

KoF, Vice has the second highest runspeed in the game

SF4, Makotos dash is ridiculously fast

SFV grapplers are all among the slowest moving characters, compare Lauras walkspeed to say, Guile.
Don't forget 3S Alex with his EX stomp. He can literally hop fullscreen with auto tracking to boot. Better not throw fireballs recklessly or you'll get stomped like a Goomba. Not even Cerebella, Makoto and Beowulf are that fast.

T.Hawk in ST

Makoto in 3rd Strike

Abel in SF4

Have people making blanket statements like these actually played any other games?

T. Hawks command grab in Super Turbo

Abel in SFIV

Makoto has a command grab but is not a grappler.

If you compare Zangief's, R. Mika*, and Alex's past iterations, you can clearly see a difference in the end spacing of command grabs in SFV.

*R. Mika was re-tooled for SFV and her Rainbow Typhoon does leave her at a full screen seen here.

Yo, I'm Jeremiah and I've been a lurker for a real long time and my account just got verified. Just thought I'd introduce myself as you'll probably see me in here often during the weekdays when i'm bored at work.

I'm a pretty mediocre player (minimal tournament experience and a Super Silver in ranked), but I'd like to play more people, preferably around my level or stronger to start getting better and have some discussions about the game and what I can do to improve time to time. Cheers!

Spuck-uk

Banned

Abel in SFIV

If you compare Zangief's, R. Mika*, and Alex's past iterations, you can clearly see a difference in the end spacing of command grabs in SFV.

*R. Mika was re-tooled for SFV and her Rainbow Typhoon does leave her at a full screen seen here.

Google 'T Hawk ST throw loop' there for me, cheers.

While you're at it, 'Abel Tornado throw Oki'.

How is Makoto not a grappler? Her toolset is near identical to Lauras, except minus a fireball and plus her Tsurigi.

Marvel

could never
Yo, I'm Jeremiah and I've been a lurker for a real long time and my account just got verified. Just thought I'd introduce myself as you'll probably see me in here often during the weekdays when i'm bored at work.

I'm a pretty mediocre player (minimal tournament experience and a Super Silver in ranked), but I'd like to play more people, preferably around my level or stronger to start getting better and have some discussions about the game and what I can do to improve time to time. Cheers!
Welcome.

Where you at? I'm an Ultra Silver from the UK xD

ElFly

Abel in SFIV

being left close to the opponent after a SPD is the best thing

it was silly in SF4 cause you were left away but everyone just did a greenhand afterwards so it was more or less the same thing

Zangief being left kilometers away after a grab is stupid

Marvel

could never
Sure thing man, my CFN is Grandpa.

Also as a heads-up, as a Junior Member a ban is a perma so might want to raise your post count in here or just behave haha everywhere (which I'm sure you will lol)

Who do you play btw?

Google 'T Hawk ST throw loop' there for me, cheers.

While you're at it, 'Abel Tornado throw Oki'.

How is Makoto not a grappler? Her toolset is near identical to Lauras, except minus a fireball and plus her Tsurigi.

I dont see your point... Thats just using the game system, a bug, and good execution. Plus they do those throw loops in the corner where your opponent doesn't fly as far away from you. I couldn't find a proper oki video for Abel, but I have to assume the oki was to get in closer to the opponent because tornado throw put you a distance.

My point is that grapplers in SFV can move faster and get closer because their command grabs leave them at a better distance (buffed dashes also help), therefore a better advantage, than previous iterations.

Makoto to me is not a grappler. Her gameplan doesn't revolve around her command grab. If you land it of course you can get big damage, but she doesn't have to rely on it. Whereas I see Laura, Alex, and Abel as hybrid-grapplers whose gameplan is weakened by not using command grabs. Not everyone who has a command grab is a grappler, there are exceptions. But thats my personal opinion.

Sure thing man, my CFN is Grandpa.

Also as a heads-up, as a Junior Member a ban is a perma so might want to raise your post count in here or just behave haha everywhere (which I'm sure you will lol)

Who do you play btw?

Ah yeah, heard about that. I have to hit a certain amount of posts in a certain timeframe yeah? Just got verified last night so I'm not too worried about it yet.

I play Chun, but I dabble in Guile, Ryu, and Akuma. You?

I fucking HATE this argument so much, regardless of who it's coming from.

Street Fighter isn't Marvel and Street Fighter isn't Guilty Gear. 3S is barely Street Fighter and that's why it's fans and boosters stand so far apart from the grouping of players who stuck around from ST through 4 and now 5.

Street Fighter is about honest neutral EVEN when it has some oppressive bullshit. For every Laura or AE 2012 vortex or Vega ST nonsense, most match-ups - most of the time are fairly honest. Balance matters here, and that's why it's EASILY the biggest competitive fighting game. It's what makes it different from everything else.

We're talking about SFV here. Buffing lower tiers won't suddenly turn this game into Marvel or Guilty Gear. Buffing characters won't make SFV, 3S. 3S has the universal parry which kind of throws away fireball zoning, and makes things like normal anti airs unreliable. Then you have mediums and heavies building gauge up. So that really has nothing to do with what I said. I guess the best example is the stubby limb complaint. Compared to past SF titles, SFV normals seem weaker. Whether we like it or not, people will compare SFV normals to past SF normals. That reference will make people feel their characters are weak even though your stubby limb character will go up against other stubby limb characters. There is no problem when you just look at SFV by itself. Same goes for walk speed. But people will compare it to past SF titles and that is part of the reason why people feel their characters are weak and unfun. Not everyone, but there are lots of people that will. If Capcom asked the community for faster walk speed or longer normals, would you guys decline? Is that simple change all that separates SFV with other SF titles? I think those small (but obviously big) changes can win players back. I think SFV's v system is already distinct enough to make SFV its own game regardless of my want for characters to feel stronger.

Above all, I just want to win back over players that have left SFV because they felt SFV is neutered. So it's not some personal wish just because that's what I like. I just want the community to thrive.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Short thread about a father in Japan who's kid looked into SFV:

https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/818455650288050177

Pretty sad reading...

I mean, sorry this complicated game is too complicated for a small child. People (including myself at 12 years old) learned how to play SF2 in 1991. Learning was part of the fun. Now if you want to learn you don't even have to know anyone who can teach you because the internet.

I think the key difference between now and 1991 is that there are many other great games that will spoon feed you the training you need to then spend infinite hours playing online. A game that is really difficult, like a fighting game, can't just force player investment by providing information. The player still has to do work. And fighting games are a lot of work. You have to learn how to control a character using inputs that may be completely foreign to you. Then you have to be able to execute under pressure and with precise timing.Then you have to learn when and where to do what attacks against whichever character. If none of this sounds fun or worthwhile, then maybe find another kind of game.

All that said, of course the game should try to teach you shit. SFV is a shamefully barebones package. But I'm not going to be very sympathetic to lamentations about how complicated the game is because that's why it's good.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a lot of nuance and things about the game that is figured out by the player the the game CAN'T teach you. I think it's awesome that Xrd Revelator has such a robust tutorial and I think every fighter should, but with the wealth of information thats out there nowadays you can't really whine that much. I learned how to play the game by playing with friends and watching videos about the most basic concepts and more advance tech on youtube. Can't fault the game for your lack of investment entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom