• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter0611

People just need a new scapegoat for why they suck. Before it was Mika now Laura. Get good.
That kind of response is fine for crap players like us. But I think you'd agree Smug is already good enough. He mentioned at his first NLBC win against Idom that he had searched all over the place for anti-Laura tech with Balrog; maybe he even used some of Javit's tactics. What more can he do?

Don't get me wrong, Idom and Wolf are legitimately good players too. But a bad matchup is a bad matchup, even if you make it close and even win a couple.

I honestly think the top players need to pick up more than one character if they want to be successful. But I don't see someone like Smug doing that; it was the same thing in SF4.

JayEH

That kind of response is fine for crap players like us. But I think you'd agree Smug is already good enough. He mentioned at his first NLBC win against Idom that he had searched all over the place for anti-Laura tech with Balrog; maybe he even used some of Javit's tactics. What more can he do?

Don't get me wrong, Idom and Wolf are legitimately good players too. But a bad matchup is a bad matchup, even if you make it close and even win a couple.

I honestly think the top players need to pick up more than one character if they want to be successful. But I don't see someone like Smug doing that; it was the same thing in SF4.

My statement was more directed at people who are calling for Laura nerfs already who are most likely the same people who called for Mika nerfs then she got sent to fang tier. AFAIK, smug isn't saying Laura is op or blaming the character for his loss. Bad matchups will always exist like you said, that was bad for boxer even in S1, smug should consider using a different character if he keeps running into this roadblock.

mbpm1

I think there might still be depths to the matchup though. Smug can definitely work things out. But yeah, rog gets hurt by grapplers (like everyone now I suppose)

Edzi

My statement was more directed at people who are calling for Laura nerfs already who are most likely the same people who called for Mika nerfs then she got sent to fang tier. AFAIK, smug isn't saying Laura is op or blaming the character for his loss. Bad matchups will always exist like you said, that was bad for boxer even in S1, smug should consider using a different character if he keeps running into this roadblock.

The Mika nerfs were fair and she's still good. You sound worse than the people complaining about Laura.

JayEH

The Mika nerfs were fair and she's still good. You sound worse than the people complaining about Laura.

You're missing the point of my posts. I'm saying people need to stop shifting the blame on characters and match ups and focus on themselves.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Most people are probably going to try to play online, get destroyed to a bafflingly embarrassing degree, and either start sorting through the metric fuckton of info they need to digest to beat even rookies or simply walk away from the game.

Those of us who started with SF2 likely played against a lot of other kids who had no idea what was going on, and even knowing basic special moves was like magic. That isn't a phase anymore. You buy SFV and even though it's simpler than most contemporary fighting games, the average person new to the genre will get completely, utterly destroyed even by a rookie online.

I'm not sure it's a problem that needs to be solved, SF should probably just be what it is. But I empathize with the new gen who will never have that leisurely experience of learning fighting games by walking up to a machine and most likely playing against some other kid who has no idea what's going on.
I agree with this for the most part but it seems to overlook that SFV is a local 2 player game as well. If you have a gamer friend, you have a learning partner. So the opportunity to learn with other new players isn't completely lost to time.

Also, by using internet forums complete noobs can organize to play online together. I'm kind of surprised with all the talk about SFV on GAF I never see posts by brand new players inviting other brand new players to mess around.

As a FANG player, the damage output I get on Akuma makes me wonder if this is what playing a character like Ken feels like. My V-SKILL even becomes a little valid.

If I have the base game on disc and want to purchase the 2017 deluxe edition on psn to get it digitally along with characters is that possible? (without having to reset my progress / account etc)

If I have the base game on disc and want to purchase the 2017 deluxe edition on psn to get it digitally along with characters is that possible? (without having to reset my progress / account etc)
All the stuff is tied to your cfn so you can switch between physical and digital without it affecting your progress.

Though you will have to redownload the game. Since the digital and physical versions of every game are considered separate.

Though remember that you can't share the Dlc between different accounts. Your different accounts can access the game but not the DLC.

All the stuff is tied to your cfn so you can switch between physical and digital without it affecting your progress.

Though you will have to redownload the game. Since the digital and physical versions of every game are considered separate.

Though remember that you can't share the Dlc between different accounts. Your different accounts can access the game but not the DLC.

Not sure If I follow, I plan to use my exisiting PSN and CFN account, buy it digitally with all the dlc that comes with (redownload the game) meaning I get the dlc from the deluxe version right? And my bought dlc clothes etc Will remain or I loose that?

Not sure If I follow, I plan to use my exisiting PSN and CFN account, buy it digitally with all the dlc that comes with (redownload the game) meaning I get the dlc from the deluxe version right? And my bought dlc clothes etc Will remain or I loose that?
As long as you're using the same account you keep everything. Everything will work the way you want it to.

The only difference is that If you want to play the digital version then you'll need to redownload the game. Dlc will be fully accessible regardless of which version you use since that's tied to your account.

Short version: you'll have the Dlc but if you wanna play your digital copy of the game then you'll need to redownload it. That's the only thing of note. Dlc will always be accessible.

As long as you're using the same account you keep everything. Everything will work the way you want it to.

The only difference is that If you want to play the digital version then you'll need to redownload the game. Dlc will be fully accessible regardless of which version you use since that's tied to your account.

Short version: you'll have the Dlc but if you wanna play your digital copy of the game then you'll need to redownload it. That's the only thing of note. Dlc will always be accessible.

Thanks appriciated! Had to ask, saw someone at Another forum wrote some negativity regarding how disc/digitally was compatiable for SFV but Everything seems to be good :)

Marvel

could never
Gone off my CFN name now, liked it at first lol might use my other PSN account to play SFV. Shame can't change it in-game.

In some cases pros are the worst culprits of blaming everything but themselves for their shortcomings. Smug was one anti air away from winning the tournament.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone follow this 3 vs 3 tournament Momochi and Chocoblanka held? Why can I only find one match of Mago's team (that he won)? Did they just not stream most of the tournament?

LakeEarth

Yun, Chun, and Ken were all very dumb. Nothing in SFV or SF4 was as dumb as them.

Yun, I can understand, maybe the developers didn't realize what he can do with Genei Jin.
Ken, I can understand, they obviously recognized that his super was awesome which is why it didn't do a ton of damage. The damage on EX air hurricane kick was ridiculous though, they should've caught that.

Chun though... every button is amazing, so short that she can duck some BnBs, and two stocks on that easily confirmable high damage super WITH a built-in reset. The fuck were they thinking there?

I still think Yun was better than Chun in that game, but Chun's power was easily accessible right out the gate. At least with Yun you had to practice, had to know distinct character specific and position-specific Genei-Jin combos, and weren't all that great when you didn't have meter.

ElFly

Yun, I can understand, maybe the developers didn't realize what he can do with Genei Jin.
Ken, I can understand, they obviously recognized that his super was awesome which is why it didn't do a ton of damage. The damage on EX air hurricane kick was ridiculous though, they should've caught that.

Chun though... every button is amazing, so short that she can duck some BnBs, and two stocks on that easily confirmable high damage super WITH a built-in reset. The fuck were they thinking there?

I still think Yun was better than Chun in that game, but Chun's power was easily accessible right out the gate. At least with Yun you had to practice, had to know distinct character specific and position-specific Genei-Jin combos, and weren't all that great when you didn't have meter.

I think in that era Capcom didn't understand game balance at all. they just threw new systems at the wall and some things worked, other didn't but rarely meant a balanced game

the only game I'd call balanced in that era is A2, and that is a stretch cause Chun was an echelon above everyone else, but at least the CC was broken for almost everyone equally. what worked with A2 CCs was that they let you bypass defense and land a big combo, so no matter what character you faced, you were a threat once you had meter, and CCs were cheap. rising the CC cost actually unbalanced A2Gold for this very reason. A3 is a mess where some people had good CCs and others did not.

the 3 series is Capcom just hoping the parries would balance the game by themselves. I think it does not work as well because parries are a defensive weapon, and games are won by attacking, not by defending better, so unlike A2 CCs they didn't make everyone a threat. They gave everyone the possibility to defend better, but the attacking side remained advantaged and thus the game quickly coalesced around the better characters

Marvel/Darksiders are just more examples of complex games where they hoped for the best

it's just with SF4 that they did look at the game and tried to make everyone viable instead of adding huge broken game systems that hopefully equalized the game. that trend of everyone having broken game systems would go on to live on Guilty Gear and anime games, but SF moved away from it, tho Marvel didn't necessarily do so

LakeEarth

the 3 series is Capcom just hoping the parries would balance the game by themselves. I think it does not work as well because parries are a defensive weapon, and games are won by attacking, not by defending better, so unlike A2 CCs they didn't make everyone a threat. They gave everyone the possibility to defend better, but the attacking side remained advantaged and thus the game quickly coalesced around the better characters
Parries have an inherent bias against charge characters. You parried? You lost your charge. Motion characters get their most damaging combo after a parry while charge characters (without a launcher) just have to settle for normal into super.

Without parries, 3rd Strike would have some 10-0 matchups though.

Where's my 3S Alex skin?!

In 3S.

Question for Akuma players. What are some optimal combos/setups you guys are using? I played him for the first time outside trial mode in some sets last night and it was rough. I kept trying to do SF4 combos with him and that did not go well.... I was using f+HP on some hard KD but at time I would just side switch them and put myself in bad situations and get punished.

Ended up getting the hang of him a little better after 2 sets and took a few 3 out of 5 against a pretty good Urien so that was encouraging.

I play Alex and Urien with a sprinkle of Guile if you are wondering. I usually never touch shotos besides Akuma in games so I am ass with them in general.

Ryce

X-Kira revealed that all of the stages in Story mode will be up in the shop soon, including the one in his Juri video:
It's worth noting that X-Kira is a compulsive liar who lives and breathes Street Fighter V. Whenever he's bored he makes something up about the game, and people tend to believe him because he sometimes tells the truth. Off the top of my head, he said ”V-Mode" would be coming by the end of the 2016 that would change the characters' V-Skills and V-Triggers, he said we'd be getting a Dan's Dojo mode (no other data miner has found evidence of this), and he teased Sagat as the second 2017 character before we found out they would all be new to the series. He pulled this very same ”it'll be in the shop soon" stunt last year when he hacked the wrestling ring stage over an existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom