• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Temple of Ascension is a nice change of pace, but the game needs variety. A game with characters like Birdie, Mika, and Laura shouldn't be filled with bleak, barren stages. Those stage mods that get rid of the NPCs make the game feel unfinished. Why would a Rio de Janeiro market be completely empty in the middle of the day? Why would a party at the Kanzuki Estate not have any guests?

I understand thinking that the NPCs look bad (30 fps, weird animations), but the solution shouldn't be to get rid of them entirely.

The perspective on most of the stages is warped. You can't give a stage depth by making the npc's that are literally two floor tiles up 3'4. Artistic liberty aside it just looks wrong (with the exception maybe on apprentice alley). It's not even the frame rate, the scaling on most of the npc's is noticeably jarring. Combined with the fixed scale of the other assets in the stages they just don't line up. Honestly I'm much more in favor of the picturesque A2/3S stages.

FluxWaveZ

Mika was one of the characters I fought against the least in matchmaking around the Super Plat - Ultra Diamond level. Now, she is actually very rare and it wouldn't surprise me to hear she's one of the least played S2 characters in general.

If this game were better, it'd be something we could easily find in-game. V-League currently lists her as the sixth least played, with F.A.N.G at the very bottom. That chart pretty much matches my experience, though I go against the bottom 4 pretty often, while I see more Rashids than Chun-Li now, with R. Mika and Alex in last place.

Mika was one of the characters I fought against the least in matchmaking around the Super Plat - Ultra Diamond level. Now, she is actually very rare and it wouldn't surprise me to hear she's one of the least played S2 characters in general.

If this game were better, it'd be something we could easily find in-game. V-League currently lists her as the sixth least played, with F.A.N.G at the very bottom. That chart pretty much matches my experience, though I go against the bottom 4 pretty often, while I see more Rashids than Chun-Li now, with R. Mika and Alex in last place.

Hey, would you look at that: Ryu is once again the most played character.
Akuma took his throne for a while, but it looks like the people trying him out are slowly returning to their previous mains.

Personally, I think if they removed every npc from every stage, slowed jumps down a few frames or buffed anti airs and got the input delay down to the 4-5f range. I'd be happy. I'd rather see stages like 'koomer's temple with nice dramatic art design instead of some sad ass brazilian 'parade' with 4 people. There's just so much stuff in this game that screams 'we fucked up and couldn't finish'. Which is a shame because there's a lot of good stuff. I mean..its been two years counting the betas and you couldn'd do ANYTHING about the shadows? C'mon son.

stages and anti airs
AU4f4Pi.png

Marvel

could never
Had some fun with Gief in Casual today, ate a lot of L's but man when you manage to actually win with him being completely new to the grapple game... a rush. It was kinda funny how in-experienced I was but was still walking folks to the corner and hitting sweet air scoop reads.

Not saying I'll use him much but yeah Gief mains leave me in awe haha, hard guy to use.

I killeda guy with flex v-skill! didn't even know that was a thing.

Marvel

could never
I played ONE Mika today, the first I have seen since S2 dropped. I barely see Ryu (used to be my most faced) Chun. I fight a lot of Laura's, Urien's, Gief's and a Ken here or there now.

That is literally all I face, it's crazy. I need a lot of MU knowledge but in Ultra Silver I'm not getting it.

"We want characters to have strong tools while buffing everyone else to have strong tools so they don't feel weak"

*Character is strong af with strong tools*

"NERF HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Honestly, real talk, this is why making every character powerful wouldn't matter much. Those tools aren't going to work on every character, and people are still going to get angry about that regardless. PR Rog is already angry about Laura, despite the fact that his character has strong, powerful tools and is clearly top 5.

"We want characters to have strong tools while buffing everyone else to have strong tools so they don't feel weak"

Agree people complain to much. Just look how well this game is .

giphy.gif

cBpoI31.png

Harada ain't got shit on SFV.

Honestly, real talk, this is why making every character powerful wouldn't matter much. Those tools aren't going to work on every character, and people are still going to get angry about that regardless. PR Rog is already angry about Laura, despite the fact that his character has strong, powerful tools and is clearly top 5.

You'll never take away the feeling that another character is BS. However, a stronger character means you'll have more tools and make it funner to play your main character. Even though Rog doesn't like Laura, I doubt PR Rog would rather have last season's balrog or revert back to season 1 where both Boxer and Laura were weaker.

There's some events coming up this week.

1. Daigo Donation Colosseum: Moke rashid vs Crusher birdie. If Crusher wins, he gets the option to take $50, or put it all on the line for next week's $100 match between he and Mkt Iwate boxer.

2. Daigo's Karaoke tournament: Choco, Hameko, MOV, Nuki, Itazan, GO1, Kuroda, and Eita battle it out in an 8 man karaoke/fighting game tournament. They each play a SFV match. However winner of said match isn't guaranteed to move on. They must first battle in a Karaoke match. Audience (maybe chat) decides who should move on.

3. China vs Japan 4v4: Sako, Fuudo, Mago, and Haitani vs Xiaohai, UD, Abao, and Beibei

RK9039

Yeah Balrog is sick in this update, I came across one in Ultra Gold - one of the best players I've played so far. He was able to beat everything I did. But I still think he's beatable as some of the shit Balrog players do is at least punishable.

Laura is completely the opposite, for no reason. I should at least be able to jab her after I block some of the stuff she does, but it just doesn't work. Laura players know they can get away with it too so they abuse those combos. I like the fact that people are all of a sudden jumping on that bandwagon though, should be fun to watch when she gets nerfed.

Agree people complain to much. Just look how well this game is .

giphy.gif

cBpoI31.png

Harada ain't got shit on SFV.

His crouching medium punch got stealth nerfed, I read that on the Nash subsection on Shoryuken. Standing back medium kick is my go-to now.

Shadoken

That Cr.MP wouldn't have hit even if it was S1. They only nerfed the vertical hitbox. Horizontal range is still the same.

And even otherwise that seems perfectly normal. You arent even touching Bison. Cr.MP is meant to be used for mid range to long range jumpins. For closer jumpins you need to use St.MK.

Nash is supposed to have an AA Dead zone for really close jumpins. It was always like this. The opponent should never be allowed in this range in the first place.

Shadoken

Bisons jump arc makes it a bit weird to AA him , since he goes vertically up a lot. I think you should stick to Air Throw as an AA. Since his jump is slow.

Shadoken

After the buff to St.MK. it should be used every time. Problem is its so fking annoying to use because both F.MK and B.MK are command normals ;_;

I should start using Hitbox master race.

Laura is completely the opposite, for no reason. I should at least be able to jab her after I block some of the stuff she does, but it just doesn't work. Laura players know they can get away with it too so they abuse those combos. I like the fact that people are all of a sudden jumping on that bandwagon though, should be fun to watch when she gets nerfed.

Which things are you trying to jab on block?

Shoutouts to ZG letting the salt take over his knowledge of hitboxes.

You'll never take away the feeling that another character is BS. However, a stronger character means you'll have more tools and make it funner to play your main character. Even though Rog doesn't like Laura, I doubt PR Rog would rather have last season's balrog or revert back to season 1 where both Boxer and Laura were weaker.

Of course he wouldn't wanna go back to that. I don't think any player wants their character nerfed, even if they understand it, at the end of the day. But when other characters are strong, even in a balanced game, it frustrates people regardless.

Yeah Balrog is sick in this update, I came across one in Ultra Gold - one of the best players I've played so far. He was able to beat everything I did. But I still think he's beatable as some of the shit Balrog players do is at least punishable.

Well, with some characters, getting around their tools isn't always readily apparent. It's kinda obvious how to respond to Rog, being a charge character who's pretty linear comparatively.

Again, imagine everyone having strong tools including Laura. People just won't like to fight Laura because that kind of character is rarely fun to fight against for many people. Even being Rog is still a pain because despite your tools, her tools are still good.

So what needs to happen is people need to research how to beat their bad matchups and employ that shit. Don't stop just because you've had a bad few matches against her. At some point, we all have characters we hate to play against. Fucking hate Juris, but that inspired me to body them quicker lol

Remember when Jab AA was a thing and still is? yeah

You should be thankful people are only jabbing you and not popping you into the air for big damage.

Maybe try not jumping as much or learning where that hitbox is at so you can punish that shit free?

Koeta

is Akuma free to play atm? I was able to play as him but I haven't picked up season pass 2 yet, shows up as purchased in the store also so I can't even buy him if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom