• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Would appreciate advice if anyone has any for me for these matches:

1. R. Mika vs. Dhalsim
2. R. Mika vs. Laura

They're pretty tough match-ups, though I think Mika should still have the advantage "on paper" versus Sim, like in S1. Certainly isn't that simple when you're facing someone like Snafoo.

Laura is just crazy town. She is better than Mika in every way now; I'm really going to have to alter how I face her, because the MU has dramatically shifted since S1.

mbpm1

So some random discussion popped up on a chat and we got to talking about how nuts things could get if every character had v-trigger permanantly

Kashiwaba

So some random discussion popped up on a chat and we got to talking about how nuts things could get if every character had v-trigger permanantly

It doesn't work with some characters unless you want some tornado in the middle of the screen for the whole round with Rashidoo or infinity bombs ibuki.

Shackzam

Would appreciate advice if anyone has any for me for these matches:

1. R. Mika vs. Dhalsim
2. R. Mika vs. Laura

They're pretty tough match-ups, though I think Mika should still have the advantage "on paper" versus Sim, like in S1. Certainly isn't that simple when you're facing someone like Snafoo.

Laura is just crazy town. She is better than Mika in every way now; I'm really going to have to alter how I face her, because the MU has dramatically shifted since S1.

For Laura you weren't being patient with her pressure because all the laura had to do to open you up was make you block 2 things and then you'd start to try and retaliate, which is where the laura capitalized. You didn't stop any of her pretty bad blocked v-skill cancels forward. Like cr.mp into v-skill is only like -3, but he was getting away with a lot bad buttons even if he v-skills back all you did was a jab. Also think of laura's st.mk as mika's s1 clap, but with way less reward then clap and it's easier to stop her pressure after blocking it.

You also gave up a lot of space in neutral by jumping back a lot and the laura just took the free space. You always seem to try and play really fast and force a situation, but this puts a detriment to your neutral on getting the hit and you not being able to anti air because you are thinking to fast on what you wanna do and not what they wanna do. That's just for laura, not sure about mika sim I always thought that match was 5-5 on paper. I hope this helped some if any

Spuck-uk

Banned

Balrog would be completely absurd. Safe dash punches, every hit resets into a mixup, massive damage off any touch, meterless.

Urien could just put you in infinite block loops.

What do you mean 'suddenly'? He's already a contender for that title.
Most of the V-Triggers mentioned here are 3 bar. 2 bars means he gets it earlier and can put their opponent in a state of perpetual blockstun which they can only get out of by spending vmeter for a reversal meaning their vtriggers aren't accessible. That alone makes it the best.

We weren't actually talking about current balance just this hypothetical infinite vtrigger situation.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What do you mean k? I'm on your side. I hate those npcs because they're jumping around all over the place trying to be silly. In older SF (pre sf4) games, they kind of just were there. I really don't like the npcs trying to be clowns.

I was looking for you to cheer me up.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Most of the V-Triggers mentioned here are 3 bar. 2 bars means he gets it earlier and can put their opponent in a state of perpetual blockstun which they can only get out of by spending vmeter for a reversal meaning their vtriggers aren't accessible. That alone makes it the best.

We weren't actually talking about current balance just this hypothetical infinite vtrigger situation.

I know that, I was joking based on the fact that he's already very strong. Urien V-trigger would do the same, but at 3-bars

Jab AA is barely a thing now and you're getting off easy if that's what your opponent is using.

Juri and Zangief still have their Jab AA. And they don't have to go for heavy damaging AA when they can use the easier route and go for the free mix up. While at the same time nerfing Nash's AA normals because Infiltration won Evo.

Bisons jump arc makes it a bit weird to AA him , since he goes vertically up a lot. I think you should stick to Air Throw as an AA. Since his jump is slow.

Bison's J.MP is one of the few that always win in Air to Air and it doesn't help that Nash's Jump Normals gotten a nerf to make Jab AA work on him and adding a hurtbox to the lower body in air grabs.

I think it's some elbow move, I've never played her so I don't know if it's a combo or some unique move she does.

hmm maybe you should go into training mode and actually learn the properties of her specials to see when it's your turn or not? Or maybe search up her frame data?

nah that's too much to ask

This is what I get? Brazillians all morning? I blame Kid A

It's like the game knows that whenever someone is in a win streak, it automatically puts them against a player from a different country.

Made it to 4 Win Streaks until I faced a Bosnian R.Mika. It's like the game doesn't want me to be in Platinum.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's like the game knows that whenever someone is in a win streak, it automatically puts them against a player from a different country.

Made it to 4 Win Streaks until I faced a Bosnian R.Mika. It's like the game doesn't want me to be in Platinum.

Well. As a Bosnian I'm glad he won. As a gaf bro I'm sorry =/

Marvel

could never
It's like the game doesn't want me to be in Platinum.
I feel this way about Gold, I inch within 400 LP and bam lag and godlike players turn up lol. Been stuck in Super Silver/Ultra forever.

But ultimately I am just not ready, Ultra seems my skill limit right now.

Pompadour

Juri and Zangief still have their Jab AA. And they don't have to go for heavy damaging AA when they can use the easier route and go for the free mix up. While at the same time nerfing Nash's AA normals because Infiltration won Evo.

I'm not a fan of jab AAs in general but the fact that Zangief and Juri kept theirs, two characters commonly believed to be bottom tier in S1, doesn't really bother me.

Marvel

could never
How come people don't like Chris T and Eventhubs? as a reletive FGC newbie I never got the viewpoints on em here :)

How come people don't like Chris T and Eventhubs? as a reletive FGC newbie I never got the viewpoints on em here :)

Chris T is known to whine on twitter. Claiming Ken wasn't top tier, saying how most matchups were 9-1 against Ken, and overreactions.

Eventhubs idk, I don't visit it enough cause most the stuff they report on or post is stuff I've already seen from GAF or Reddit or other places.

FluxWaveZ

For Laura you weren't being patient with her pressure because all the laura had to do to open you up was make you block 2 things and then you'd start to try and retaliate, which is where the laura capitalized. You didn't stop any of her pretty bad blocked v-skill cancels forward. Like cr.mp into v-skill is only like -3, but he was getting away with a lot bad buttons even if he v-skills back all you did was a jab. Also think of laura's st.mk as mika's s1 clap, but with way less reward then clap and it's easier to stop her pressure after blocking it.

You also gave up a lot of space in neutral by jumping back a lot and the laura just took the free space. You always seem to try and play really fast and force a situation, but this puts a detriment to your neutral on getting the hit and you not being able to anti air because you are thinking to fast on what you wanna do and not what they wanna do. That's just for laura, not sure about mika sim I always thought that match was 5-5 on paper. I hope this helped some if any

Thanks a lot, the latter paragraph is definitely something I've been trying to change and something I discussed with people after yesterday's tournament. I want to shift more towards a reactive playstyle, which I do put into effect sometimes (like my match versus Snafoo, until it fell apart); I'm still struggling with that. I think I tend to play like that when I feel that because of an opponent's oppression, the longer I wait, the more I will get overwhelmed.

I'll need to go into training mode extensively against Laura. The blocked V-Skill cancels mess me up a lot; they're so fast. Like Ken's V-Skill shenanigans in S1 that I had to learn to counter, though, I'll probably be able to put a stop to it once I learn the proper answers to those.

Oh geez, and I just checked, but Laura's st.MK is just -2. Why did I think that was now +...? Must have misread something in the patch notes. I guess it's like Urien's f.MP, where it feels so in your face and fast that it's difficult to respond to when you're not conditioned to it. Good to know.

RK9039

Not going to happen, she's not that good. Learn the matchup.

If Mika got nerfed Laura is gonna get nuked, that's my hope at least.

hmm maybe you should go into training mode and actually learn the properties of her specials to see when it's your turn or not? Or maybe search up her frame data?

nah that's too much to ask

Why should I bother with training mode when I prefer to learn actually playing against people? And for your information I already checked that I can't jab her after blocking some of her special attacks.

Marvel

could never
Chris T is known to whine on twitter. Claiming Ken wasn't top tier, saying how most matchups were 9-1 against Ken, and overreactions.

Eventhubs idk, I don't visit it enough cause most the stuff they report on or post is stuff I've already seen from GAF or Reddit or other places.
Ah I see.

Skilletor

But now their the most played in gold and platinum next to Urien.

There is no reality in which Zangief is ever the most played character on any level, in any game, in the existence of videogames.

Why should I bother with training mode when I prefer to learn actually playing against people? And for your information I already checked that I can't jab her after blocking some of her special attacks.

Because it saves you from saying silly things like,

Laura is completely the opposite, for no reason. I should at least be able to jab her after I block some of the stuff she does, but it just doesn't work. Laura players know they can get away with it too so they abuse those combos. I like the fact that people are all of a sudden jumping on that bandwagon though, should be fun to watch when she gets nerfed.
lp elbow: -2 on block - can jab
mp elbow: -7 on block - can mp with most of the cast
ex elbow: -11 on block - can hp with most (all?) of the cast
uncharged fireball: -5 on block - can jab

Ex fireball +3 on block - can't jab

If Mika got nerfed Laura is gonna get nuked, that's my hope at least.

then proceed to stay a scrub lmao

you can jab her after all but one of her special attacks on block.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the site is fine if you want an overview of what's going on in different games right now. Shoryuken is pretty spotty at times and not very active. And those two are the most active ones I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom