• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I had a pretty easy time with Guile so far, but that is slowly coming to an end. The reason is that Guile players are finally starting to really use his normals. Upside down kick for example is amazing, the knee is really good and backfist, too.

Guys I got an important question.

So I wanna get a new gamepad preferably the new Fight Commander but I've read that the Dpad becomes unreliable and loses its click after a fews months of play. I've had the same problem with my Dualshocks. Eventually the dpad will get loose and the mesh inside will tear on one of the directions.(All I've played lately are fighting games so its happened to both my last 2 controllers).

I just want a controller that will be durable enough for my heavy handedness and use. If there isnt one out there I may just save up for a good stick and make the transition.

For any of you there that uses a pad do you run into this problem with your Dpads? And if so how do you combat it? Is the Fight Commander a good investment for anyone that uses it?

Guys I got an important question.

So I wanna get a new gamepad preferably the new Fight Commander but I've read that the Dpad becomes unreliable and loses its click after a fews months of play. I've had the same problem with my Dualshocks. Eventually the dpad will get loose and the mesh inside will tear on one of the directions.(All I've played lately are fighting games so its happened to both my last 2 controllers).

I just want a controller that will be durable enough for my heavy handedness and use. If there isnt one out there I may just save up for a good stick and make the transition.

For any of you there that uses a pad do you run into this problem with your Dpads? And if so how do you combat it? Is the Fight Commander a good investment for anyone that uses it?

I don't use pads much, if ever, but take a look at this one. It is much preferred to the FC4.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=pd_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J8KB979HG33P9PSV5DE2

Rotatable DPad on the FC4 can start to give you issues. Fixed DPads are better IMO. Especially if you are more heavy handed when you play.

RK9039

There is no reality in which Zangief is ever the most played character on any level, in any game, in the existence of videogames.

Because it saves you from saying silly things like,

lp elbow: -2 on block - can jab
mp elbow: -7 on block - can mp with most of the cast
ex elbow: -11 on block - can hp with most (all?) of the cast
uncharged fireball: -5 on block - can jab

Ex fireball +3 on block - can't jab

So you're saying I can jab her -2 on block with Nash?

Schnauzer

What is the cheapest way to buy all the characters? Just wait for a deal? I just got this for Christmas. I won't be playing online, just local co-op.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, why not? Laura doesn't have a reversal, unless she's nuts and overrules your turn by doing a super. It follows the same principle as any negative move in the game. If you don't take your turn when their pressure has ended, the pressure will never end.

What is the cheapest way to buy all the characters? Just wait for a deal? I just got this for Christmas. I won't be playing online, just local co-op.

Cheapest is to grind FM and but the first batch of characters from season one then buy the S2 pass if you want all the character in a decent amount of time.

Quickest would be to just but both season passes. They had a sale on them around Christmas so I would assume that would come back. Probably around the time the CPT starts I would expect a decent discount on characters to increase game interest.

RK9039

Yeah, why not? Laura doesn't have a reversal, unless she's nuts and overrules your turn by doing a super. It follows the same principle as any negative move in the game. If you don't take your turn when their pressure has ended, the pressure will never end.

I've always tried jabbing after and it never hits, I'll test later.

Schnauzer

Cheapest is to grind FM and but the first batch of characters from season one then buy the S2 pass if you want all the character in a decent amount of time.

Quickest would be to just but both season passes. They had a sale on them around Christmas so I would assume that would come back. Probably around the time the CPT starts I would expect a decent discount on characters to increase game interest.

Sounds good! I will keep an eye out for it. I'm not diehard enough to grind everything. Unless it's like Soul Calibur on DC kind of unlocking. I miss those days.

Kikirin

It won't be an outright punish for most characters but it will be your turn to pressure at the very least. Just about anything with 5f startup or faster will beat or trade if she tries to 3f jab after it.

FluxWaveZ

I've always tried jabbing after and it never hits, I'll test later.

-2 doesn't mean that you can punish it, it means that their turn has ended and it's your turn. Even if they block a jab, you're still plus on it and there's nothing (except for reversal stuff) they can do about it because their fastest move is 3f, meaning the effective startup becomes 5f. If you just sit there and don't do anything, then you'll never have your turn. It's like that with any other character, not just with Laura.

Sounds good! I will keep an eye out for it. I'm not diehard enough to grind everything. Unless it's like Soul Calibur on DC kind of unlocking. I miss those days.

If you are decent at the game you can do each characters trial's and story modes pretty easily to get a decent chunk. Don't forget to download the cinematic story mode as well to get a decent chunk of FM.

If you are going the route of buying one of the season passes make sure you decide which one you want so you don't buy characters from it with FM before you pay real money as you won't get that FM back.

S1 characters are:

-Alex
-Guile
-Balrog
-Ibuki
-Juri
-Urien

S2 character are:

-Akuma
-???
-???
-???
-???
-???

I would personally buy S1 on sale and save all that fight money for S2 characters if you are on the fence about them since they haven't released any information about them besides that they are new to the SF universe as far as being playable in game goes. Excluding Akuma of course.

Ryce

seeing those Question marks makes Me angry at myself for purchasing a season pass without knowing fully what I'm getting into.
I can't see myself not buying a new Street Fighter character, so it really doesn't matter to me who the characters actually are. I'm sure they'll each be interesting and fun in their own way. I barely use Guile and Juri from season one, but I'd rather have them to fuck around with on occasion than not have them at all.

I don't use pads much, if ever, but take a look at this one. It is much preferred to the FC4.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=pd_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J8KB979HG33P9PSV5DE2

Rotatable DPad on the FC4 can start to give you issues. Fixed DPads are better IMO. Especially if you are more heavy handed when you play.

Thanks, but this is the controller I was considering. Once researched I found others have had problems with the dpad losing its click as well.

I may just buy the DS4 dpad meshes online and replace them myself. I've opened my controller before but the last time I did that I screwed up the touch pad on my other one so I'm a bit paranoid lol.

Thanks, but this is the controller I was considering. Once researched I found others have had problems with the dpad losing its click as well.

I may just buy the DS4 dpad meshes online and replace them myself. I've opened my controller before but the last time I did that I screwed up the touch pad on my other one so I'm a bit paranoid lol.

Yeah third-party pads this gen have been pretty disappointing overall. Hopefully there are some revisions in the making. At least they are cheap!

I can't see myself not buying a new Street Fighter character, so it really doesn't matter to me who the characters actually are. I'm sure they'll each be interesting and fun in their own way. I barely use Guile and Juri from season one, but I'd rather have them to fuck around with on occasion than not have them at all.
I have full faith that the characters will be fun to play regardless of how they end up. I'm
Just pissed that they STILL haven't even given us so much as a description. Particularly after last year's " we need to communicate more" stance.

That's what y'all get for sending out leaks.

Shoulda kept that shit under wraps!

They wanna drop a surprise on us and build hype, but man, even a little hint would be nice. I hate waiting.

Spuck-uk

Banned
How come people don't like Chris T and Eventhubs? as a reletive FGC newbie I never got the viewpoints on em here :)

Chris T is a supremely whiny bitch, and an annoyingly preachy christian.

Eventhubs just reposts any old shit as 'news' for hits.

Spuck-uk

Banned
lp elbow: -2 on block - can jab

Worth noting there are oki setups when she's actually +1 on block with this now.

I had a pretty easy time with Guile so far, but that is slowly coming to an end. The reason is that Guile players are finally starting to really use his normals. Upside down kick for example is amazing, the knee is really good and backfist, too.

His b+HP is ridiculous as well. ~7 frame startup, great reach, CC knockdown on counterhit. Guile pokes much better than Vega :/

Marvel

could never
Chris T is a supremely whiny bitch, and an annoyingly preachy christian.

Eventhubs just reposts any old shit as 'news' for hits.
Gotcha lol, didn't know that haha.

Good luck man, I hope to get where you are in a few months time. I can barely hold on to silver myself lol

I hightailed it to Battle Lounge, can't play Ranked whilst I am this amped up lol ty for the gl Iwish you the same in your journey.

Ty 2u2 16bit likewise

Cepheus

I just tried to clear Normal survival with Alex. I was doing relatively OK until I got the low health supplement four rounds in a row and subsequently lost. I've never had that happen before...

Cepheus

Always pick defense up instead of low health.

I usually gamble with those 'negative attribute but you get more points' supplements very early on (with the really easy fights you can get perfects in) and then after that use a mixture of attack up and health buffs when needed. I'll try using defense up instead and seeing if that makes a difference.

Marvel

could never
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";228090346]I forgot how bad UMVC3's netcode was.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, kinda why I stopped playing it. Frustrating not being able hit your combos.

LakeEarth

I'm 200 LP away from Gold, this is the closest I have ever gotten!

If you're that close, then you'll get it sometime soon. Don't get discouraged! I got 3999LP my first time around and then proceeded to go on a losing streak, so I know the pain and thrill of getting close to that threshold.

RK9039

-2 doesn't mean that you can punish it, it means that their turn has ended and it's your turn. Even if they block a jab, you're still plus on it and there's nothing (except for reversal stuff) they can do about it because their fastest move is 3f, meaning the effective startup becomes 5f. If you just sit there and don't do anything, then you'll never have your turn. It's like that with any other character, not just with Laura.

Yeah, you can jab her. It's not a punish, but it's your turn. A lp elbow ends her offense.

Yeah but that was never my point though, I wasn't talking about whose turn it is or not. I was talking about punishing her special attacks with a jab (into light sonic scythe for example), essentially those special attacks of her's are safe on block and my character can't punish it. And I was talking about this in relation to Balrog because at least some of the things he does is very punishable.

LakeEarth

Yeah but that was never my point though, I wasn't talking about whose turn it is or not. I was talking about punishing her special attacks with a jab (into light sonic scythe for example), essentially those special attacks of her's are safe on block and my character can't punish it. And I was talking about this in relation to Balrog because at least some of the things he does is very punishable.

LP elbow leaves her right next to you, so instead of going for light pressure, you can also throw which I'm pretty sure will beat any of Laura's options except jump/tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom