• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Oh wait, Laura has a 3-frame move. The throw and the light would become active on the same frame, I think the light will win in that case. I'm not 100% sure. But if she uses a light and you go for a light, yours will win.

Oh wait, Laura has a 3-frame move. The throw and the light would become active on the same frame, I think the light will win in that case. I'm not 100% sure. But if she uses a light and you go for a light, yours will win.
Throw wins I believe. That's why any command grab character with a 5 frame command grab being plus 2 Is so scary.

Just got bashed by a Vega. Good lord that dude can cover ground in the sliver of a second. He is such a great version the initial design in this game. Can't believe people were down on him during the unveiling, as he is the definition of unique and fitting along with the rest of the cast.

RK9039

Just nerf the twat already. Only need that move to be -3 on block (-4? I don't know I'm not an Evo player like people here) and it's balanced.

Marvel

could never
Just got bashed by a Vega. Good lord that dude can cover ground in the sliver of a second. He is such a great version the initial design in this game. Can't believe people were down on him during the unveiling, as he is the definition of unique and fitting along with the rest of the cast.
Vega is very good, I fear him when I do not play Ryu. I like to parry his EX FB lol

Which won't be happening again anytime soon, Bison 4 lyf

Edzi

Why would making it -3 OB make it balanced?

You can be an EVO player too all you have to do is sign up.

Speaking of being an evo player, I've been seriously considering signing up this year for fun and to meet members of the community. Not really sure how wise that is though, considering I've never competed at any locals or anything.

Speaking of being an evo player, I've been seriously considering signing up this year for fun and to meet members of the community. Not really sure how wise that is though, considering I've never competed at any locals or anything.

It can't hurt to give it a try. I've never really had the desire to go but posters here enjoy the experience that they have and I haven't heard of someone having a bad time there.

Marvel

could never
Go for it! wish I could.

Heard nothing but good things.

Dont let your dreams be dreams!

I plan on trying to hit up most of the big tourneys around the the southeast like Final Round and CEO in preparation for Evo.

I know people who literally fly half way across the world just to go to EVO and these aren't players who are particularly passionate about any one game in particular, it's like a mix of a community gathering and a sports festival that they all take part in and I wish I get to go to EVO in the future. At least during sfv's lifetime.

mbpm1

You should meet up with gaffers/people from the discord if you go

What in the hell do I do against Cammy an FANG? She feels like she recovers from everything in 1 frame lol
It takes a lot of practice to know when you can push buttons and when you can't but you have to make every situation count. If I wasn't on mobile, I would give a more detailed description 😑

All I'll say right now is to respect the St.mp and the cr.mp

Got to try and keep her at a distance but try to be very hesitant with the trap and upballs as she can do a well timed dvekick or ex drill or even V-skill through it so rely more on your normals and your positioning.

It takes a lot of practice to know when you can push buttons and when you can't but you have to make every situation count. If I wasn't on mobile, I would give a more detailed description 😑

All I'll say right now is to respect the St.mp and the cr.mp

Got to try and keep her at a distance but try to be very hesitant with the trap and upballs as she can do a well timed dvekick or ex drill or even V-skill through it so rely more on your normals and your positioning.

Thanks! I definitely see what you mean as far as being careful with traps, as I was hesitant to throw out any unless I was a full screen away. Maybe I should hit training mode and figure out some punishes I can use.

The only thing I actively dislike about Laura ( and have since season 1) is the meaty light shoulder setup after the command grab. Seems like too easy a setup for such high reward, particularly for a vortex character.

Everything else I feel is fine.

Shackzam

Saving your v-reversals can be very important against her for stopping her pressure dependent on your character because you can get freely v-reversal a lot of her specials or pressure to stop her momentum. If you can stop her from activating her v-trigger or kill her before she gets a knockdown on you then sure use your v-trigger, but most likely she'll activate it and you'll take some +1 light elbows on your wake-up when you don't have any v-meter to use.

New vid about S2 and Infiltration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJmnaHfvaI

I see some of his points. I don't know if I agree with the other pro players not liking S2 all that much or sticking with their characters since most seem to enjoy the changes, salty Rog not withstanding. But he does have a point about catering too much to the casual audience in some places.

Interesting video all around though.

Roxkis_ii

It must have been a lot of people who bought Street fighter over the holidays because I've been doing really well in ranked this week. 300 more LP until i'm back to the rank I was before I started using a fight stick (Ultra bronze). Chun still got them kicks in season two!

Blueblur1

I see some of his points. I don't know if I agree with the other pro players not liking S2 all that much or sticking with their characters since most seem to enjoy the changes, salty Rog not withstanding. But he does have a point about catering too much to the casual audience in some places.

I think he makes some very solid points. But the part where he mentions newbies from Season 1 not liking Season 2; might he be specifically talking about the Korean community? I might have missed it but I don't recall seeing people making that specific complaint en masse.

mooncakes

I am not sure how Capcom are catering to casuals. There is no arcade mode or a library mode for lores for example.

The game being dumb down to cater to casuals means less depth gameplay for the pros but the game doesnt have enough contents for the casual. This game seems to have an identity crisis. Its like pick one or the other or do both.

I am a nobody and a scrub at this game but I think if they make the game good with depth and good play mechanic and stuff, pro players would be satisfied and casuals wouldn't know the difference in good gameplay anyways if they have rich contents like an arcade mode, a proper tutorial,etc to keep them busy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Infil's points about casuals and season 2 make no sense, sorry.

This balance patch is clearly aimed at tournament play. And those players always had to adapt to changing versions of Street Fighter. He might not like the changes, but it's got nothing to do with catering to casuals.

Roxkis_ii

I think he makes some very solid points. But the part where he mentions newbies from Season 1 not liking Season 2; might he be specifically talking about the Korean community? I might have missed it but I don't recall seeing people making that specific complaint en masse.

I was wondering the same. I haven't seen any complaints about it. I would say i'm a season 1 newbie and I like the changes so far. It seems like they made the game less cheap.

The game being dumb down to cater to casuals means less depth gameplay for the pros but the game doesnt have enough contents for the casual. This game seems to have an identity crisis. Its like pick one or the other or do both.

The game has a budget crisis, not an identity one.

Edzi

I do agree that Capcom needs to stop trying to cater to the casual base, but I'm not sure how season 2 is really pandering to them.

I agree with infil on the Alex/Fang nerfs though. :(

EDIT: I also might be coming around and agreeing with him on the DP change and I can see why he thinks it might have been done to cater to beginners who would find them "cheap". I think it's kind of a weird direction to go, and is another step toward overly homogenizing the characters. The fact that regular DPs are still CCable also makes me feel like they didn't really put much thought into it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This game has given me the same laggy Dhalsim three times in a row now and it shows up as a five bar connection. Now that's a problem...

And yeah, Alex and FANG are the most baffling nerfs.

Infil's points about casuals and season 2 make no sense, sorry.

This balance patch is clearly aimed at tournament play. And those players always had to adapt to changing versions of Street Fighter. He might not like the changes, but it's got nothing to do with catering to casuals.

I agree. You dont cater to casuals by removing the panic button from the characters most commonly used by casuals.

I dont even get why its considered so huge when only 4 characters had them in the first place. It still exists anyway but you need meter.

He didnt even mention mika in the nerf section lol.

Edit. Lets not forget new players arnt meatying people on wake up with perfect timing meaning wake up dp still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom