• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

could never
Vesper's laugh kills me lol

I take breaks from this game quite frequently and it seems to do me well. I am not a tourney player so I don't feel like I need to play all the time which frankly is a good thing. I'll get my FG fix by watching replays before I go to sleep at night and it gives me time to study/learn new things I may not have found out on my own to practice when I play again.
Yup, I could totally take more breaks for sure. I too watch replays before bed! Ha, mostly galtu stuff atm.

His Bison inspires me, I've also just learned 2 short simple combos from him that I should have been doing.

Skilletor

I take breaks from this game quite frequently and it seems to do me well. I am not a tourney player so I don't feel like I need to play all the time which frankly is a good thing. I'll get my FG fix by watching replays before I go to sleep at night and it gives me time to study/learn new things I may not have found out on my own to practice when I play again.

Yeah, this is me.

I don't really like this season's changes. I'm going to use the new characters exclusively this season. KoF14 patch is calling me to actually sit down and learn it.

And I'm taking a couple classes to get ready for grad program applications, so I'll be doing more single player and handheld games for the most part.

ElFly

Who whines more - ChrisT or PR Rog?

After the assist.

But I guess I got some assist by playing top tier Rog over here.

It just didn't work.

reminds me of this great post

Man goes to GAF. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is predictable and certain.
GAF says "Treatment is simple. Great character Akuma released last night. Go and main him. That should pick you up."
Man bursts into tears.
Says "But doctor...I am Akuma."

CFN's Scrafty. Just lost a close game to an Akuma who mashed out EX DP through my blockstrings three times so I'm kinda on tilt right now :L
hahahahahaha...after this morning's thread about the DP nerf, this is kinda hilarious...

Stay calm, don't worry I'm not a masher '-)

*tricks him into thinking he's safe on wakeup and Dp's all the time muhahahahha

Yeah, this is me.

I don't really like this season's changes. I'm going to use the new characters exclusively this season. KoF14 patch is calling me to actually sit down and learn it.

And I'm taking a couple classes to get ready for grad program applications, so I'll be doing more single player and handheld games for the most part.

Yeah my daughter is on the way and will be here sometime in March. Slowly weening myself off games as things will be harder to play when she is here.

Cepheus

I just beat someone with a Pro Tour title who played really dirty. Taunting after stunning me etc. Does the Pro Tour title mean anything? Also, how do you unlock the Pro Tour stage?

I just beat someone with a Pro Tour title who played really dirty. Taunting after stunning me etc. Does the Pro Tour title mean anything? Also, how do you unlock the Pro Tour stage?

Pretty sure the only way to unlock it was to purchase it when it was live, which was before the 2016 Capcom Cup.

I keep dropping my crLP > LP Peaches :/

Also, the amount of damage Ken can get off of a low-hitting light button is insane. People complained about the Mika blender but Ken's oki trinity is even scarier imo :V

I keep dropping my crLP > LP Peaches :/

Also, the amount of damage Ken can get off of a low-hitting light button is insane. People complained about the Mika blender but Ken's oki trinity is even scarier imo :V
lol...yeah, ken damage is still good...

oh whoops, yeah, take your time...man, i'll do two sets with your Urien...

Bleh, I choke so hard every time I get put in the corner vs. Ken...

Definitely feel like most of my success in this set is due to gimmicks and not actually playing smart.

EDIT: GGs, Omni! I feel like I learned a lot about what Ken's capable of even though I got bodied; hopefully next time we play I can snag more than just two games :p

Bleh, I choke so hard every time I get put in the corner vs. Ken...

Definitely feel like most of my success in this set is due to gimmicks and not actually playing smart.
yeah, you have good Oki, not doing the same things repeatedly is key to a strong offense. Mix up your opponent's heads. GGs

Mika

- Spacing is important with her. Her charged HK is great, but you can't abuse it. It can be neutral jumped, swept, or V-reversaled, so make sure it's spaced well and don't over use it
- Your mix-up is good with pressure from strings and commmands,but get your meaty timing down. You can't give up the corner to a drop or mistake playing as Mika now, she has a harder time getting opponents there now with the clap nerf.
- Also watch her sweep, it's very unsafe, make sure you have a good read b4 using

Urien
-Not that familiar with Urien yet but know you can abuse his shoulder charge more. From certain distances its pretty safe on block and can be used for frame traps
- Spacing is important with Urien and his frame traps
-V-trigger is great, but mix it up with lows/highs and switching sides, especially in the corner it can be really difficult to block

GGS mate.

They were part of an incredibly expensive bundle where the majority of the profits went towards the 2016 CPT. The bundle's no longer available for purchase.

yeah, you have good Oki, not doing the same things repeatedly is key to a strong offense. Mix up your opponent's heads. GGs

Mika

- Spacing is important with her. Her charged HK is great, but you can't abuse it. It can be neutral jumped, swept, or V-reversaled, so make sure it's spaced well and don't over use it
- Your mix-up is good with pressure from strings and commmands,but get your meaty timing down. You can't give up the corner to a drop or mistake playing as Mika now, she has a harder time getting opponents there now with the clap nerf.
- Also watch her sweep, it's very unsafe, make sure you have a good read b4 using

Urien
-Not that familiar with Urien yet but know you can abuse his shoulder charge more. From certain distances its pretty safe on block and can be used for frame traps
- Spacing is important with Urien and his frame traps
-V-trigger is great, but mix it up with lows/highs and switching sides, especially in the corner it can be really difficult to block

GGS mate.

Thanks for the pointers, dawg.

I'm aware that I rely on the dropkick too much as Mika, but it's hard to stop abusing since it's one of her few buttons that allows her to continue her pressure string since MP and f+MP got nerfed so hard.

I'll keep trying to level up my game though; maybe I'll jump back into Ranked when the next character drops so there'll be less pressure.

Christ, I haven't played since Sat/Sunday but boy did I take a beating tonight. I was dropping combos left, right and centre like I hadn't played it in months. =/

Cepheus

They were part of an incredibly expensive bundle where the majority of the profits went towards the 2016 CPT. The bundle's no longer available for purchase.

Alright. It's weird that they'd even keep the stage on the stage select screen, then, seeing as you can't buy it anymore.

Lol at the Twitter war over Laura right now. Idiom bodies Smug, but Smug sits on a full bar of Trigger. People claim it to be an infinite blockstring(?), so Javits and another dude make a counter video.

People make a video trying to counter that, saying WELL SHE CAN JUST DO SO AND SO WHY CANT I ESCAPE 100 PERCENT despite having options.

Certain pro players whine, and the cycle continues.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
All I got from it is that it's actually a pretty good string.
Stand blocking against Laura isn't really a great solution either.

Oh and Smug is a great dude, he's never complaining about anything, just working on solutions.

remz

Oh and Smug is a great dude, he's never complaining about anything, just working on solutions.

Probably the best mindset you can have if you want to be competitive.

If it's a super good string... does V Reversal not work?

Lol at the Twitter war over Laura right now. Idiom bodies Smug, but Smug sits on a full bar of Trigger. People claim it to be an infinite blockstring(?), so Javits and another dude make a counter video.

People make a video trying to counter that, saying WELL SHE CAN JUST DO SO AND SO WHY CANT I ESCAPE 100 PERCENT despite having options.

Certain pro players whine, and the cycle continues.

Meter management too ingrained. Use it or lose it.

Nothing wrong with it being good or not. People just think it's infallible.

But it's not Smug complaining. It's another boxer user lol

Yea a lot more players are slowly picking her up. Xian/Infiltration/Fuudo.. maybe they see something hm
She was crap in season 1 along with Juri and they both got marginally better. It doesn't surprise me that her usage has gone up across all levels of play.
VesperArcade going over Alex changes for season 2. :( Feels bad man, he just starts laughing hysterically when he gets to the MK nerfs.
This is going to be a brutal watch lol.
YT comment: Looks like Capcom gave all of Alex's buffs to Urien.
FUCK LOL
Lol.. mika players just died overnight.
Mika, Nash and Ryu usage has dropped precipitously over the last month. The damage from the patch was real, son. Unfortunately only Ryu and Mika (to a far lesser degree) deserved such heavy nerfing.
I wish i had the turncoat propensity.
Yeah, then maybe I wouldn't still be playing Alex.
All those of little faith should just get over with it and pick Urien. The grass really is more full of mixups and good tools on the other side. :p

Bob White

I played some casual sets with Nando's mika last year during EVO. Had no idea he was a pretty well known player in socal when I was playing him. Anyways, his fucking mika was legit. No derp derp and all whiff punishes and amazing footies...felt like fighting a different beast than the online mikas. Anyways, I think she still is one of the best in the game. Her buttons and ex peach are amazing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
All those of little faith should just get over with it and pick Urien. The grass really is more full of mixups and good tools on the other side. :p

Honestly I'm having a hard time connecting to him. I don't know maybe I just really need the executional component.

remz

I think a lot of them realized that they were relying entirely on her dumb clap gimmicks, so when that got taken away they gave up.

tbh I liked playing mika a lot, but with juri actually being somewhat usable in s2 I have to go with the OG waifu

I also got sick of my friend I play sf with audibly sighing every time he got clapped and never getting rematches after ranked wins

joe2187

Banned
I think a lot of them realized that they were relying entirely on her dumb clap gimmicks, so when that got taken away they gave up.

They got salty immediately after the nerfs were announced. But she was given a few more tools that change up her gameplay and balance her out. Shes still my top main in SFV and ill probably stick with her over cammy from here forward. She's still a very mobile grappler with good options for pretty much every situation.

I still want to learn Mika at some point, she looks lively and fun. Though the combos with her tag partner look a bit tricky.

Is Fuudo still using Mika?

Mika is the most fun ive had playing SFV. Her v skill is actually useful now if youre careful.

FluxWaveZ

I still want to learn Mika at some point, she looks lively and fun. Though the combos with her tag partner look a bit tricky.

Is Fuudo still using Mika?

I think Fuudo's looking to main Ibuki now. NuckleDu said he'd stick with her and the Guile duo. Dunno what Luffy's doing. He's been playing Mika online recently, and he hangs out in the Mika Discord, but we'll see if that sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom