• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Urien feels dirty.
You can wash the dirt off in the waters of victory.
I watched this earlier today and was going to post it but I was too sad.

That comment about giving Alexs buffs to urien was hilarious and true.
st.lp("nerfed from every single angle")
st.mp(nerfed pretty damn hard)
cr.mp("one of the hardest nerfed normals"
cr.mk(lmao)
v-reversal
air knee smash(lol)
slash elbow(try to keep a straight face)
powerbomb(goddamn @ 17:04)
"His close up game got stronger, but his mid range was gutted"

He got some good stuff with the lariat, cr.lp, v-skill, f.HP and j.mp, but the man is finished imo. I have to admit that I cracked up along with him as he was reading some of the changes lol.
I play Alex, Urien, and Guile since they launched so I lucked out this season. 2/3 ain't bad at all.

I can still maintain my street cred since Alex is technically my first pick and bottom tier and switch to Urien and Guile when no one is watching to get free wins.

LEL

Although I don't know what capcom was thinking with Alex. I mean he isn't horrible unplayable trash but him being this way for the next 12 months is going to be pretty rough.
I'm trying to learn Urien, but I think I'll have to build up muscle memory and figure out some solid combos/hit confirms because right now all I can really do with him is poke and hope to God I can hit confirm into Aegis Reflector.
I'll probably never not main Alex, but I've been considering picking up Cammy as a secondary since she seems like the easiest/most solid of the top tier characters. I like Urien, but I can't be bothered to learn all his Aegis shenanigans.
I fought my first great Cammy today. It was just terrible. She just kept walking forward while pressing buttons and constantly flipping around or above me with her divekicks and knuckle spin. Not even Urien felt as oppressive as that Cammy did.

fionel

I still play Alex everyday (reached ultra platinum last night). It definitely feels like an uphill battle playing against almost every other character. TBH tho I don't feel much of a difference with his normal nerfs except of course the st lp. While it was a little OP as AA in S1 now it has been nerfed to a point where it is completely useless against jump-ins from half of the cast. I get it that they nerfed lp AAs across the board and I understand the mentality behind it, but at least let knee smash be a little more viable against closer jump-ins? Now literally nobody respects the air space close to Alex.

Adding salt to the injury is the fact that some moves like Rashid lk is still totally viable as AA. At least keep everything coherent!! SMH

You can wash the dirt off in the waters of victory.

trying to learn Urien, but I think I'll have to build up muscle memory and figure out some solid combos/hit confirms because right now all I can really do with him is poke and hope to God I can hit confirm into Aegis Reflector.

I fought my first great Cammy today. It was just terrible. She just kept walking forward while pressing buttons and constantly flipping around or above me with her divekicks and knuckle spin. Not even Urien felt as oppressive as that Cammy did.

I played a lot of 3s growing up so I am comfortable with Uriel and his execution especially since it's easier now and you don't have to learn charge partitions. Kinda wish they would revert all his buffs besides the cr.hp and juggle properties.

The thing about cammy is that in those oppressive situations, particularly those light into light into light situations, you CAN press a button in the middle to get a counter hit depending on how well she's spacing them out and whether or not she's gonna go for a throw. It's actually not a bad idea to press a light sometimes in between those strings in the event she tries to jump in between or go for a throw because you can turn the pressure around.

Though it's still conditioning and if you do it too often, she can punish you for it just as easily. It really is quite a nuanced matchup to learn but I still find it fun.

Playing against laura makes me want to turn this game off and never play it again. I basically epitomizes everything I hate about this game(stupid normals, safe moves, rushdown focused). She just counterhits you all day with ridiculous buttons and puts you in constant 50/50. No command grab character should be to be in your face that fast and easy. I knew she was a problem in S1, but this is too much...

Marvel

could never
HD Remix.

In 2017.
pzGknxS.jpg

Ikr

That price...

I played a lot of 3s growing up so I am comfortable with Uriel and his execution especially since it's easier now and you don't have to learn charge partitions. Kinda wish they would revert all his buffs besides the cr.hp and juggle properties.
I got tired of asking for nerfs after S1. I'll just take buffs or switch characters.
The thing about cammy is that in those oppressive situations, particularly those light into light into light situations, you CAN press a button in the middle to get a counter hit depending on how well she's spacing them out and whether or not she's gonna go for a throw. It's actually not a bad idea to press a light sometimes in between those strings in the event she tries to jump in between or go for a throw because you can turn the pressure around.

Though it's still conditioning and if you do it too often, she can punish you for it just as easily. It really is quite a nuanced matchup to learn but I still find it fun.
I got a lot of those little trades, but it just never went anywhere. In S1 Alex could get a lot of counterhit standing medium punches that lead to something, but if you watch the vesperarcade section touching on st.mp nerfs you can see that the pushback nerf, nerf on v-trigger cancel advantage and hurtbox nerf all make for a terrible counterhit situation. He has to be breathing down the opponent's neck now unlike in season 1 where standing medium punch was a great counterhit option to fall back on at slightly farther ranges.

I got tired of asking for nerfs after S1. I'll just take buffs or switch characters.

I got a lot of those little trades, but it just never went anywhere. In S1 Alex could get a lot of counterhit standing medium punches that lead to something, but if you watch the vesperarcade section touching on st.mp nerfs you can see that the pushback nerf, nerf on v-trigger cancel advantage and hurtbox nerf all make for a terrible counterhit situation. He has to be breathing down the opponent's neck now unlike in season 1 where standing medium punch was a great counterhit option to fall back on at slightly farther ranges.
Dang, didn't know about that. Having an invincible reversal (even if it starts at 3 frames) and a good way to convert a counter hit into an advantageous situation is pretty darn important in this matchup so I can see why Alex would suffer.

This season has felt really weird so far.

LakeEarth

You still need to work on your combos. In training mode, over and over until you can do it 10 times in a row without messing it up. On both sides of the screen. Take the damage when you're given the opportunity.

Also, Juri is one of the only characters that still have an anti-air jab. Use it. In the first video, I never saw an antiair from you.

"Only"

"F.A.N.G, Juri, Necalli, Zangief, Dhalsim"

LakeEarth

"Only"

"F.A.N.G, Juri, Necalli, Zangief, Dhalsim"

"one of the"

I feel the need to say that, after I mistakenly said in a Gaming-side the reduction in charge activation time wasn't in the change log, and then proceeded to get corrected by a dozen people, even hours after being corrected the first time.

I really hope part of the 30th anniversary is bringing A1-3 and SF3 to modern consoles.
That is a decision that would honour the legacy of Street Fighter, be a relatively easy thing to make and is a largely requested product that would make the majority of their fanbase happy.

Obviously you can see why that won't happen.

Skilletor

And Steam ffs. 3s:OE should've been already.

Oh, fuck, how did I forget about steam?

Fuck the console part. Just steam would be fine.

That is a decision that would honour the legacy of Street Fighter, be a relatively easy thing to make and is a largely requested product that would make the majority of their fanbase happy.

Obviously you can see why that won't happen.

Your words wound me to the quick, good sir.

Skilletor

That's what I'm here for!!

Though I agree that an Alpha 3 port would be dope and I personally want that more than SF3 but both would be the ideal situation.

A2 for me. That's my personal fav SF, but me and my friends play A2 and 3 all the time to this day.

After coop cup, a lot of the people I play SF5 with are hype about SF3, but lots of them also got rid of their old consoles and so the only way to play it is through fightcade. I personally hate the way FBA emulation feels on fighters, so playing fightcade is annoying to me.

I never realized how simple the hitboxes in V are compared to USFIV. Just wanted to see how jabs looked (thanks to all the talk about jab AAs), and was taken aback at the difference. Here is the first active frame for Ryu's standing hard-kick in 3rd Strike, Ultra, and SFV S2:

The USFIV one is more complicated than it appears, but the multiple hurtboxes for Ryu's right arm are hard to make out in this image. It is much more visible in motion.

I wonder what motivated this simplification.

mbpm1

Ucchedavāda;228278520 said:
I never realized how simple the hitboxes in V are compared to USFIV. Just wanted to see how jabs looked (thanks to all the talk about jab AAs), and was taken aback at the difference. Here is the first active frame for Ryu's standing hard-kick in 3rd Strike, Ultra, and SFV S2:

The USFIV one is more complicated than it appears, but the multiple hurtboxes for Ryu's right arm are hard to make out in this image. It is much more visible in motion.

The same thing that motivated simplification of a lot of SFV things

A2 for me. That's my personal fav SF, but me and my friends play A2 and 3 all the time to this day.

After coop cup, a lot of the people I play SF5 with are hype about SF3, but lots of them also got rid of their old consoles and so the only way to play it is through fightcade. I personally hate the way FBA emulation feels on fighters, so playing fightcade is annoying to me.

A2 is one of my favorite fighters. We have a PS2 hooked up in our conference/lunch room and I brought the Alpha Anthology and Anniversary Collection to work to play.

Fun times. Except no one here plays fighters so it's not much of a challenge even playing on a controller.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ucchedavāda;228278520 said:

IIRC SF4 actually had 3D hitboxes at first, but it didn't feel right. So they ended up with 2D hitboxes again. It kinds looks like these are remnants of this decission.

edit: Source

Initially, it played wrong. That's all I can say. It didn't feel like a Street Fighter and the collision boxes were all mapped to the 3D models and that changed. So, we pushed reboot in the middle and went back to the 2D hit boxes. I think it's a lot of what preserved the Street Fighter feeling.

IIRC SF4 actually had 3D hitboxes at first, but it didn't feel right. So they ended up with 2D hitboxes again. It kinds looks like these are remnants of this decission.

edit: Source

That's a good point.
But it is notable that V is simpler even than 3S, which did not go through a 3D hitbox phase. V appears to be more similar to 2, in terms of hitboxes (see here).

No proximity normals still annoy me tbh

Well you free to go to a corner and be annoyed all by ya damnself. Good riddance to them. Command normals >>> proximity normals all day. I wouldn't mind having all proximity normals turned into more command normals rather than just having proximity normals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom