• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ucchedavāda;228278520 said:
I never realized how simple the hitboxes in V are compared to USFIV. Just wanted to see how jabs looked (thanks to all the talk about jab AAs), and was taken aback at the difference. Here is the first active frame for Ryu's standing hard-kick in 3rd Strike, Ultra, and SFV S2:

The USFIV one is more complicated than it appears, but the multiple hurtboxes for Ryu's right arm are hard to make out in this image. It is much more visible in motion.

I wonder what motivated this simplification.

SFIV engine was built from the ground up, they put their soul into SFIV, SFV was made with money, they bought the engine and just rushed the shit to the market...

gEUTPuL.jpg

So are we going to get a more substantial offering from Capcom next week regarding any announcements for the 30th anniversary? Or is it just going to be us "leaving the haters behind"

Kinda worried that all of Capcom's focus is on MvCI launching in a perfect state and we won't get much in the way of Street Fighter updates. The most I am expecting is a new character hint/reveal for the next character from season 2 and maybe the nostalgia costumes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason Capcom really likes to keep stuff secret. Even things that don't make sense, like dates.
Only to then disappoint because people build the hype up too much, because of lack of information.

They've been doing this ever since the SFV announcement.

MrCarter

It's only January lol. I think they have stuff planned and we'll know thier plans sooner rather than later. That's some nice photoshop work though haha.

Skilletor

Proximity normals are stupid and have no right to exist.

This.

Command normals > Proximity normals

That being said, I wish they would have just done vism style and made everything controllable rather than getting rid of the different normals.

This.

Command normals > Proximity normals

That being said, I wish they would have just done vism style and made everything controllable rather than getting rid of the different normals.

I would prefer command normals as well but it seems like they didn't really go that route with most of the cast. I would rather have proximity normals for all characters instead of command normals for just a handful.

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;228278520 said:
I never realized how simple the hitboxes in V are compared to USFIV. Just wanted to see how jabs looked (thanks to all the talk about jab AAs), and was taken aback at the difference. Here is the first active frame for Ryu's standing hard-kick in 3rd Strike, Ultra, and SFV S2:

The USFIV one is more complicated than it appears, but the multiple hurtboxes for Ryu's right arm are hard to make out in this image. It is much more visible in motion.

I wonder what motivated this simplification.

I assume getting more consistent results on hitting people. the previous hitbox will hit, say, a crouched person differently depending on distance, or may whiff completely. the SFV version will always hit or always whiff independent of distance (up to the max range of the attack)

it is not a bad or good thing perse. more complex hitboxes will make attacks less consistent, tho they will hit more accordingly to what the animation depicts. I've spoke about this before and this stuff, taken to an extreme, will make combos harder and more dependent on the respective position of the characters, but honestly the level it was in SF4 and 3 doesn't seem to be complex enough to make it _really_ matter, so they may as well cut down in the complexity if all it will do is make you whiff randomly

gEUTPuL.jpg

So are we going to get a more substantial offering from Capcom next week regarding any announcements for the 30th anniversary? Or is it just going to be us "leaving the haters behind"

Kinda worried that all of Capcom's focus is on MvCI launching in a perfect state and we won't get much in the way of Street Fighter updates. The most I am expecting is a new character hint/reveal for the next character from season 2 and maybe the nostalgia costumes.

I'm not going to buy season 2 this year til they bring out a roadmap with what's happening. Between this and Marvel, the thirst is real.

Pompadour

gEUTPuL.jpg

I think the existence of MvCI is a good thing for SFV. If MvCI is sharing things like netcode and matchmaking then any improvements they develop can be applied to V. It's the same logic of how NRS rebuilt the MKX netcode for Injustice 2 so they went back and added it to MKX.

Of course, sharing anything involved in SFV's online play could be seen as a bad thing for MvCI.

Lulubop

How about that January update

Is Taiwan doing a game show next week or something? Daigo is going there. Maybe they do an announcement there.

They do usually post the monthly updates on the Capcom Unity, albeit whenever they fuck they feel like. Why would why wait til some show tho? makes no sense

Kaleinc

Banned
gEUTPuL.jpg

All we get for 30th ann. is a middle finger.
Obvious

MrCarter

Despite the middle finger I do like the fact Capcom are respecting the franchise with stuff planned as the logo suggests. If only they respected SFV as much as the whole franchise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm willing to get sent down to Bronze hell for the FM with this garbage Balrog.

Yup. I've been too much of a baby to face the emotional roller coaster of ranked for way too long. But it's worth any amount of losses to get that sweet FM. In fact, if they just made ranked wins pay 100 while casual paid 50, I'd only play ranked despite the additional stress.

Would love a 3S port on PS4 as well. Would rather play Fightcade, but I would like having majority of the major SF titles available on one console again.

Mr. X

Oh yeah no meterless reversals makes this game stupid braindead. S1 the game was simple and elegant, now it's free pressure.

For some reason, I just went back and checked out the first OTs for this game.

What a time, thinking Dhalsim was good. I knew Bison was bad then too, mainly just shenanigans at the time.

Also I miss Big Brett and his The Office gifs :(

mbpm1

For some reason, I just went back and checked out the first OTs for this game.

What a time, thinking Dhalsim was good. I knew Bison was bad then too, mainly just shenanigans at the time.

Also I miss Big Brett and his The Office gifs :(

I thought Gief was really good and Ryu sucked

Turns out I was just a season too early!

Onemic

Im still unsure the RQ system is in place anymore. Had another rq and I checked the fighters profile to see if they had lost points after. They didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom