• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally made it to super bronze, and am able to stay consistently in the 800 to 1000 lp range. I still suck, but I suck less than I did a month ago, which is something. I'm surprised how quick I got accustomed to Urien after dropping Charlie. Urien has always been my favorite SF character design and personality wise, but I've never been able to get used to a charge character until now. Glad I finally got over that hurdle.

Well, I finally made it to super bronze, and am able to stay consistently in the 800 to 1000 lp range. I still suck, but I suck less than I did a month ago, which is something. I'm surprised how quick I got accustomed to Urien after dropping Charlie. Urien has always been my favorite SF character design and personality wise, but I've never been able to get used to a charge character until now. Glad I finally got over that hurdle.

What helped me get up to mere points away from Sliver (currently) is understanding that the opponent is going to press buttons whenever they can and half the time it isn't safe. You can interrupt that shit for free damage if your defense improves or just knowing a little bit of the frame data.

Anti-airing is also a good idea since a lot of people still jump like crazy.

For Urien, make sure you know at least two decent AR setups and use his V-Skill whenever you get a chance to build meter faster!

Edzi

Someone posted that excellent Daigo restaurant analogy a while ago, and man, it's really started to affect me too. All the negativity from the casual crowd AND the competitive/professional crowd just really magnifies things and is starting to sour me on the game in general.

MrCarter

It's weird how it's mostly the western players whining but the Japanese are always patient and adapt to the game. S2 patch has been out for like 2 weeks now and apart from the typical few I think the balance is far better now than S1.

Dahbomb

He's just salty at people downplaying their obviously top tier characters.

Like Eduardo and some guy on EC saying Cammy isn't all that good.

He might be wrong and they maybe right of course.. it might be too early to say.

ChrisG's top 5: Cammy, Laura, Balrog, Urien, Guile w/ Necalli just within range.

10 ranked wins is a bit ugh as im not a fan of ranked but by the end of it i went from ultra bronze to silver so will hang here in casual and see how it goes for a bit i guess.

Someone posted that excellent Daigo restaurant analogy a while ago, and man, it's really started to affect me too. All the negativity from the casual crowd AND the competitive/professional crowd just really magnifies things and is starting to sour me on the game in general.

That's why I unfollowed PR Rog and Art. Some dudes are just too salty, and would rather complain than put in the work. Meanwhile Du is spitting truth:

@PR_Balrog @DaFeetLee I complained a lot, but it wasn't doing anything for me. I prefer being the guy people stress about, rather than being the one stressed.

Dahbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW9lwboSiJg

Dieminion finally playing Guyelle for Americuh and dropped that wack character FUNG.

I hope there's no patch before CPT because America looking really good going into Season 2. Du has that Guile with Dieminion and ChrisG in the mix. We got the two best Balrog in PRBalrog and Smug, we got the Lauras and SanicFox getting in there with Urien.

Dieminion finally playing Guyelle for Americuh and dropped that wack character FUNG.

I hope there's no patch before CPT because America looking really good going into Season 2. Du has that Guile with Dieminion and ChrisG in the mix. We got the two best Balrog in PRBalrog and Smug, we got the Lauras and SanicFox getting in there with Urien.

Like Japan won't be playing top tier lol

Dahbomb

I am most scared of Daigo's Guile and RB/Nemo's Urien.

I think Tokido can do damage with his Akuma but he's also going to get randomed out a few times here and there.

I am most scared of Daigo's Guile and RB/Nemo's Urien.

I think Tokido can do damage with his Akuma but he's also going to get randomed out a few times here and there.

He's been looking incredibly strong lately so I doubt it. His biggest problem is not knowing matchups in general. Like, he straight up blanks out when he's up against something he doesn't know. Dude was so lost against Vega.

Daigo is sticking with Ryu. And Bon is still with Nash.

Mr. X

Only if you played one of the four graced with the free pressure of threatening a DP at any time.
Most people played them, these matches you had to feint and bluff and commit. Now it's just walk them down, tick throw or 3f/4f trap. So these are gone, these characters aren't gate keeping the steam rollers. These not much in the way of stopping Rashid, Urien, Laura, Rog from rolling over the rest.

Thanks. They seem to die befor they fire off in vs cpu mode. even if i pick an opponent with high life like gief. i'll keep trying.
It takes two throws for each missile. The CPU died when the last one went off and it still counted, so that's not a problem. Just don't hit them and spam throws in the corner.

Most people played them, these matches you had to feint and bluff and commit. Now it's just walk them down, tick throw or 3f/4f trap. So these are gone, these characters aren't gate keeping the steam rollers. These not much in the way of stopping Rashid, Urien, Laura, Rog from rolling over the rest.

People are getting meme'd on by Uriens when you really just need to apply better spacing and pressure than him. His defense is absolute shit, and just knowing when he's going to start some AR bullshittery and blocking it means he has nothing to work with the rest of the round. Homeboy's cr jab isn't even 3f.

it's pretty hard to switch characters and the win in SFV.

It's not like SF4 where I can pick 5 different characters and win matches online.

it's pretty hard to switch characters and the win in SFV.

It's not like SF4 where I can pick 5 different characters and win matches online.
This is true for me too. In USF4, I could always switch between like 6-7 different characters and still have fun and hold my own but I can't say the same here.

Mr. X

People are getting meme'd on by Uriens when you really just need to apply better spacing and pressure than him. His defense is absolute shit, and just knowing when he's going to start some AR bullshittery and blocking it means he has nothing to work with the rest of the round. Homeboy's cr jab isn't even 3f.
I'm the Urien player. I'm barely using AR anymore honestly, I use it for comeback and like just high low throw is taking me far. Laura and Guile are the only pain the ass characters for me now.

This is kinda true. In USF4, I could always switch between like 6-7 different characters and still have fun and hold my own but I can't say the same here.

For better or worse, USF4 had a lot of get-outta-jail-free cards for players to use. SFV is, for better or worse, not putting yourself in situations you either can't get out of or that are unfavorable.

There are ways to get out of a lot of things (barring straight guesses, but it's a fighting game - those will always exists), but some characters have to suss it out individually, and even then it's not always fun depending on how you play.

Bon's Nash straight up had to play on point to beat that Urien, and lost because he entered a territory that Urien wanted him to be after whiffing a few moves and waking up with a button.

I think as people start finding more tech and focusing on characters lower down the line, we'll see less complaining about dealing with top tiers. But for now, people literally gotta grind that shit out and learn, and admittedly it ain't always fun.

Seeing Die go with FANG always sat wrong, now we just need Xian to stop jobbing with him.

Welcome to life as the large majority of the cast I guess! If the game's going to have EX moves, I think it's important to have something that meaningfully differentiates it from the standard.

SF5 has had a rough time between the general public and the FGC, but I don't let it get to me. The game has a lot of problems, things that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place, things that should have been fixed by now, and new things that they find ways to mess up, but despite that all I've had more fun and put more time into 5 than I ever had with 4 in the same time frame. I was tolerant of 4 more than anything, and in ways I see parallels of SF5 being the SF3 of now -- especially with how many seem upset that S2 is going to bring new faces instead of old favourites, and who knows, maybe it'll be seen favourably when it's all over. So people will complain, and they definitely have reason to so I don't think they're out of line, but as long as I continue to have people to play with it's alright.

Seeing Die go with FANG always sat wrong, now we just need Xian to stop jobbing with him.
Dieminion's FANG just never sat right with me, I could always tell he didn't feel particularly comfortable with the character. Guile really is the best choice for him.

Can't say the same for Xian though, the guy is just too good with the character. I feel like if he was gonna switch, he would've said something already but oh well, we'll see.

I will say though, I do agree with ChrisG about how people downplay their characters. Shit is mad annoying. Be like Tokido and admit your shit is cheap/good and he tries to pick cheap, haha.

Earlier this evening I pulled out my pocket Birdie for the first time since Alex dropped and went on a 10-game win streak.

Maybe I should play him more often >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom