• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's pretty hard to switch characters and the win in SFV.

It's not like SF4 where I can pick 5 different characters and win matches online.
This is true for me too. In USF4, I could always switch between like 6-7 different characters and still have fun and hold my own but I can't say the same here.
I find that interesting, why do you two think that is? Because it's the exact opposite for me. SF4 being so 1 frame link heavy and being such a reversal happy game, along with how prevalent Ultras were, as well as being dependent on set play added up to making me uncomfortable with any character unless I got some very rote research into them and at least had some kind of framekill safe jump or means of finding some safe pressure. SF5 by comparison I find myself playing more by feel.

I just think season 2 took away a lot of hope. With season 1, the game was new. People thought maybe the game will turn out to be something they love. And if it wasn't something you liked, you still had the hope of season 2 fixing things you don't like about the game. So now with season 2, a lot of the hope was drained for a lot of people.

So it's possible for season 2 to be better than season 1, but still give rise to more complaining.

Personally, I just want walk speeds to be faster, normals to be longer ranged, fireballs to be slightly better, and medium/heavy normals being more reliable anti airs. I don't really like how much jumping is present in the game. I see Daigo jumping more in SFV than he ever has because the risk reward is hugely in jumping's favor.

So pick a top tier a win? We're now Third Strike?

Remember Xian 2-0 Tokido in Evo 2013?
Tokido recently talked about that with Mago. He said he was no longer going to say his character is too good because he's afraid his character will get nerfed like in season 2. So he brought up Xian. He started cracking up that Gen users told Xian "Gen got nerfed thanks to you!" He felt so bad for Xian and he started cracking up even more at the thought of Fang getting nerfed thanks to him again.

sixghost

Does anyone know what the max damage combo is for Ibuki when you just want to go for guaranteed damage off her V Trigger activation? Preferably without the EX Kunai juggle, because I'm still not great at that.

HardRojo

What I hate about using charge characters is that if for whatever reason I'm blocking and try to reversal but it doesn't come out, so I have to go back to blocking and charging my reversal... It's the only thing I don't like when compared to command characters.

Does anyone know what the max damage combo is for Ibuki when you just want to go for guaranteed damage off her V Trigger activation? Preferably without the EX Kunai juggle, because I'm still not great at that.

uhh, 3p target combo, kunai, trigger, ex dp, hk dash, hk?

HardRojo

LMAO just lost against a Rashid in the most ridiculous way. Like, he kept spamming Eagle Kick, and as Urien I know I can punish him with M. Tackle, but that apparently doesn't leave me at advantadge so I was afraid of his EX Spinning mixer afterwards, since he's just spamming moves. Then he perforoms a Super from like a quarter of a screen away from me, naturally I just block thinking it won't reach. Nope, Super travels all the way and chips me to death lol. I just laughed.

Wow, GO1 was hitting those high notes on the Daigo karaoke stream!

Oh yeah no meterless reversals makes this game stupid braindead. S1 the game was simple and elegant, now it's free pressure.

Most characters didn't have meterless reversals...so...yeah...

Nothing changed for them.

For some reason Capcom really likes to keep stuff secret. Even things that don't make sense, like dates.

Uhh...aren't dates THE most sensible thing to keep secret? They had a rough date for Ibuki, then had to delay...and got crucified for it.

Chris G was right. This is what the game is now. Pick one of the top eight or don't even bother.

Doesn't every game essentially boil down to that? Sure you'll get the random mid tier character in top 8 every few tournaments because the player skill and dedication to their character. 3S has its definitive top tier but it doesn't seem to affect the outlook on that game nowadays.

I like ChrisG as he seems like a really funny guy but that dude played one of the most busted Marvel3 teams with a boring style so I'm surprised he's complaining so much about this game. Having 8 top tiers out of a cast of 23 is pretty good. Although I'll admit they are a little over tuned compared to some. Alex and FANG LOL.

Everyone is just so down on this game it's kinda sad. It's really having a ripple effect of negativity on the community. I enjoy my time with it for the most part despite some issues I have with some choices they've made. I wish these people would help develop other FG communities instead of brining so much negativity all thentime.

Though if they got deep into those games the same attitude and complaints they have about SFV will resurface as it is their general outlook on fighters. Hopefully capcom can appeal to the pro scene more going forward as catering to the casuals at this point is a waste of resources and time and will end up causing more negativity in the competitive scene.

What the hell is Alex supposed to do against Dhalsim? He loses hard to him up close and far away, I don't get it.

Get a good timed stomp or headbutt and bait out a teleport.

So get lucky I guess?

These players will move on to another character once people start specializing in the Urien matchup and/or he gets nerfed into the ground. Pro players need to start streaming some mid tier characters and make them look good so everyone will bandwagon to them.

Edzi

You know, I just realized that I never really think about meter in this game because I always have some. Meter management just kind of isn't a thing.

Edzi

Doesn't every game essentially boil down to that? Sure you'll get the random mid tier character in top 8 every few tournaments because the player skill and dedication to their character. 3S has its definitive top tier but it doesn't seem to affect the outlook on that game nowadays.

I like ChrisG as he seems like a really funny guy but that dude played one of the most busted Marvel3 teams with a boring style so I'm surprised he's complaining so much about this game. Having 8 top tiers out of a cast of 23 is pretty good. Although I'll admit they are a little over tuned compared to some. Alex and FANG LOL.

Everyone is just so down on this game it's kinda sad. It's really having a ripple effect of negativity on the community. I enjoy my time with it for the most part despite some issues I have with some choices they've made. I wish these people would help develop other FG communities instead of brining so much negativity all thentime.

Though if they got deep into those games the same attitude and complaints they have about SFV will resurface as it is their general outlook on fighters. Hopefully capcom can appeal to the pro scene more going forward as catering to the casuals at this point is a waste of resources and time and will end up causing more negativity in the competitive scene.

Get a good timed stomp or headbutt and bait out a teleport.

So get lucky I guess?

lol, yup, dunno what kind of answer I expected.

Yeah I feel like EX stomp is Alexs only way of getting in since you're +2 or an EX elbow to use that armor to hope you'll get in. Sims arced fireballs don't help at all though.

Get a read on his fireballs and elbow slash through them? That's why I try to do. EX Elbow if I know/feel he's gonna hit a button.

I don't just try to get in at all costs. I play it slow.

Edzi

Get a read on his fireballs and elbow slash through them? That's why I try to do. EX Elbow if I know/feel he's gonna hit a button.

The problem is that both of those methods cost meter and are incredibly risky to do. Elbow especially since it's so negative. Failure means he can either punish or teleport away.

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

He clearly plays more like gief type of grappler in having to be patient and find your opening although not to the extent that gief has to play it. They really need to give Alex a 5 frame command grab for starters. I mean they gave laura one and she's mobile as fuck.

The problem is that both of those methods cost meter and are incredibly risky to do. Elbow especially since it's so negative. Failure means he can either punish or teleport away.

Like I said get lucky and hope your EX elbow is timed properly or you'll enjoy being -10 at the cost of 1 bar. Alex relies too much on bar to get going against good players.

God Alex is ass. What the fuck did he do to Woshige to warrant such contempt?

Edzi

I realy really really really really hate UDK and Akuma's f.HP. Akuma's especially feels cheap since it's so positive on block. It's like they're just free to walk up to me and I have to guess between a grab or blocking, and if I guess wrong (which I always do) it leads to a full combo. Why.

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

He clearly plays more like gief type of grappler in having to be patient and find your opening although not to the extent that gief has to play it. They really need to give Alex a 5 frame command grab for starters. I mean they gave laura one and she's mobile as fuck.

Like I said get lucky and hope your EX elbow is timed properly or you'll enjoy being -10 at the cost of 1 bar. Alex relies too much on bar to get going against good players.

God Alex is ass. What the fuck did he do to Woshige to warrant such contempt?

I dunno man, it's not great.

I'm not doing elbow (non EX one) until I see his fireball animation start, if I get a good read. Either I feel it, and just do it, Or I am keyed in and noticing the animations. Just in neutral, I am trying to space it so the tip of LK elbow is hitting. It's harder of course in S2.

Like I said, I play this match-up slow.

I realy really really really really hate UDK and Akuma's f.HP. Akuma's especially feels cheap since it's so positive on block. It's like they're just free to walk up to me and I have to guess between a grab or blocking, and if I guess wrong (which I always do) it leads to a full combo. Why.

I dunno man, it's not great.

UDK is -2 on block but thats +3 in my book right?

Akuma's f+hp has really slow startup so that's something at least.

Edzi

UDK is -2 on block but thats +3 in my book right?

Akuma's f+hp has really slow startup so that's something at least.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff I struggle with in this game has to do with the fact that I can't react very quickly. For example, I'm free to Ibuki because I can't deal with her crossup dashes.

Of course, this is made worse by the fact that Alex has slow normals.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I just realized that I never really think about meter in this game because I always have some. Meter management just kind of isn't a thing.
I don't think that's true at all. You basically have to choose between an EX move or a CA playstyle. Same with V-Reversal and V-Trigger. It's not super involved, but it decides matches. I noticed pros V-Reversal less and less, because they know they need Trigger to win.

I just finished story mode I was wrong fighting against the CPU isn't fun it's cheap and worthless. I'm glad this game focuses on what's important the player vs player people that wanted that story mode should actually play it and see why it's bad.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff I struggle with in this game has to do with the fact that I can't react very quickly. For example, I'm free to Ibuki because I can't deal with her crossup dashes.

Of course, this is made worse by the fact that Alex has slow normals.

Just play top tier and all your problems are solved. :p

Sayad

Most people played them, these matches you had to feint and bluff and commit. Now it's just walk them down, tick throw or 3f/4f trap. So these are gone, these characters aren't gate keeping the steam rollers. These not much in the way of stopping Rashid, Urien, Laura, Rog from rolling over the rest.
Meter less DPs still beat 3f/4f traps clean! You need a 1f/2f traps to stuff DPs, meterless DPs are still good against frame traps.

Are the few seconds you spend fighting Cammy/Ryu/Ken/Nicalli at the start before they build meter for a reversal really enough to make a difference as to where Rashid/Urien/Laura/Rog stand in tier list?! Keeping in mind that even in S1 when those characters were weaker and C/R/K/N were stronger, the characters that gave them a lot of trouble were mostly characters without meterless reversals!

Edzi

Platinum Ken's still play really stupid and unsafe. Why does that work so well at even that level.

EDIT: Just beat a fraudulent Platinum Gief named VenomLA who won the first game in the set and then lost the next two and RQ.

mbpm1

Platinum Ken's still play really stupid and unsafe. Why does that work so well at even that level.

EDIT: Just beat a fraudulent Platinum Gief named VenomLA who won the first game in the set and then lost the next two and RQ.

I've fought that guy before. And in SF4 I think lol

Sayad

Urien VT activation might be the best get out of jail free move in the game if you can take one hit! Reflector comes out even if you're hit in the first frame!

If it works for Eita, why shouldn't it work at lower levels?!

Urien VT activation might be the best get out of jail free move in the game if you can take one hit! Reflector comes out even if you're hit in the first frame!

If it works for Eita, why shouldn't it work at lower levels?!

Can other characters that have vtriggers that function the same way as Uriens, such as Ibuki, still have it come out if they are hit in the first frame?

Don't have much ibuki experience in this game.

So, Im trying to complete every character's survival in normal difficulty, any clue of how to avoid a stomp by Bison? I've reached him with Chun Li like 3 times, and when begins a combo i lose half of my health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom