• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

I played Ranked for a few hours last night. No RQs. I haven't experienced one in a while.

I've gotten 4 in the last day. The worst part is that the game keeps matching me with people below me, so when I win I don't get as many points, I lose a ton when I lose, and then the RQers just skew that even further. I would be in Platinum by now if not for the RQers, since it means my losses count for way more points.

Maybe losing to Alex just makes people rage.

I've gotten 4 in the last day. The worst part is that the game keeps matching me with people below me, so when I win I don't get as many points, I lose a ton when I lose, and then the RQers just skew that even further. I would be in Platinum by now if not for the RQers, since it means my losses count for way more points.

Maybe losing to Alex just makes people rage.

Can confirm. An Akuma RQ on me last night after I parried his wakeup super and then quit again at the VS screen the next time we were matched up.

Yo just played Zombegoast on ranked. How was the lag switching dude?
6622b038d2196c77361032e647df9a98.gif

No lag just getting that 2-0 on you.

23c.gif

Skilletor

You won't have to worry about beating my Alex with Guile, regardless of league level. :(

I think February is the 3rd strike anniversary, so since the first character is probably Helen/Kolin from 3rd strike, they'll probably announce her for February along with the 3rd strike nostalgia costumes.

Nah, I'm just using Guile to get to platinum. Gold is too easy with Akuma, but I can't win in ranked with him. lol.

I just need to get to the next level to play stronger people. My goal is to just use the new characters all year.

HardRojo

I was playing with a friend yesterday and whenever I picked Nash the match would get real laggy, no problems when I picked Urien and Guile though lol. Could it be a sign?

Kashiwaba

So did they revert the RQ penalties or something? Tons of people are still doing it.

My interest disconnected against a super silver player when i was few hits away from winning and when i logged back i lost 80 points so i guess it's still working, but now ppl RQ not to save their points but cuz they are salty and they don't want you to get them.

Pachinko

Well , I'm having fun down in rookie/bronze if it makes any of you all feel better :p

Played long enough going on a bogus journey with a friend to get the 10 wins challenge done. So, I've now managed to get a win with Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Laura, Necalli, Guile and Rashid. Up next I'm going to try Juri out for a bit.

Also, the SFV server kicked me off 3 times today so I guess they must be having some issues.

---
Also, I just have to add that I'm annoyed that after nearly a year since release there still isn't a reliable easy way to fix SFV's 4K problems on PC. 1440p runs just fine and I even tried 1800p just now and it looks to be ok. I don't know if it's a video driver issue or a capcom issue but fix yo shit :p

It might mean the connection isn't great for them. I never rematch on shit connections.

Going back to my days as a little kid, the win quit is real. I was a big practitioner of this art as a little kid playing against my cousin who always use to whoop my ass in the SF2 series. It was prevalent throughout SF4 and I still see it sometimes in SFV although not as much since I rarely run into players with much lower points than me because of the matchmaking.

But if I ever got matched up with a low Gold or Ultra Silver again and lose(and the match wasn't laggy) I'm just going to assume the guy is outta there and not hit ready because that's normally the case.

Edzi

So am I right in thinking that after a throw tech both people are reset back with 0 frame advantage? I'm realizing that as Alex, I can't press any buttons after a tech since they'll get beat out by most of the casts heavies/mediums, and his lights don't reach far enough.

remz

Man sitting at 3.2k and gold league feels so far away. Pretty proud I've managed to stay up with Juri tho when previously playing her would bump me back into ultra bronze. It's pretty intimidating thinking about getting 20 straight wins (20*50 =1000, using +50 as avg) without getting tilted and throwing away 100s of points

FluxWaveZ

Mika's toughest MU by far now must be Guile. I've put a bunch of effort recently into staying grounded and not jumping (as) crazily, but the Mika vs. Guile MU revolves around a single element: the Mika absolutely needs to get a jump-in and, when she does, she better stay in and either kill in that same sequence, or do a whole bunch of damage. It's all about reading the fireball patterns because, if you can't get a beat on them, you're never getting in. I know that Zangief life now.

When I play Guile, my favorite character to face is probably Mika, because they just can't do anything. Seeing them squirm is both sad and really satisfying. Zangief scares me way more, because a single missed AA and shit goes south quick.

Edzi

There's this Ultra Gold Juri player named raize21 who has the worst connection I've ever played, and the game keeps matching me up with him. It's gotten to the point where I just quit the game whenever he pops up, it's not worth wasting the time.

Devid905

I think February is the 3rd strike anniversary, so since the first character is probably Helen/Kolin from 3rd strike, they'll probably announce her for February along with the 3rd strike nostalgia costumes.
I have to correct you there: It's not 3rdS. It's the 20th anniversary of the arcade release of SF3: New Generation.

joe2187

Banned
Mika's toughest MU by far now must be Guile. I've put a bunch of effort recently into staying grounded and not jumping (as) crazily, but the Mika vs. Guile MU revolves around a single element: the Mika absolutely needs to get a jump-in and, when she does, she better stay in and either kill in that same sequence, or do a whole bunch of damage. It's all about reading the fireball patterns because, if you can't get a beat on them, you're never getting in. I know that Zangief life now.

When I play Guile, my favorite character to face is probably Mika, because they just can't do anything. Seeing them squirm is both sad and really satisfying. Zangief scares me way more, because a single missed AA and shit goes south quick.

As a Mika Main, the worst thing you can do is Jump in.

Guiles will Flash kick, any and all Jump ins you even attempt.

Dashing after a neutral jump, charged HK, and HP shooting peach to punish booms is the way to get in. Jumping in is just a way to get countered every time. Most guiles try and jab you out at close range, or grab so you can do a little shimmy or spacing and keep command grabbing their counters.

To me, playing guiles are predictable. Only of few of them are ever very offensive, when they start to turtle, it gives me time to develop a strategy.

FluxWaveZ

As a Mika Main, the worst thing you can do is Jump in.

Guiles will Flash kick, any and all Jump ins you even attempt.

Dashing after a neutral jump, charged HK, and HP shooting peach to punish booms is the way to get in. Jumping in is just a way to get countered every time. Most guiles try and jab you out at close range, or grab so you can do a little shimmy or spacing and keep command grabbing their counters.

To me, playing guiles are predictable. Only of few of them are ever very offensive, when they start to turtle, it gives me time to develop a strategy.

I dunno if I agree with this at all. HP Shooting Peach is an extremely risky tool to get in, and you're not going to be able to call out different boom speeds by using that, unlike other universal fireball counter moves other characters have.

Charged HK is mainly a no-go in this MU. I play Guile, and it's so extremely easy to punish that anytime I see the Mika going for it when I'm against one.

Dashing, in general, is inadvisable because you'll either eat a sobat to the face or a boom. Guile has superior footsie tools, projectile pokes and all that jazz.

I really think it comes down to a very slow, methodical approach of walking, blocking, walking, blocking. With the projectiles being any Guile's go-to, they'll usually hesitate doing anything when you're in proper jump-in range, since they're holding down-back for something. So they'll try to use misdirection by pressing buttons like throw whiffs or cr.MKs to cover up whether they're gonna fireball or if they're looking to counter the jump-in. During that time, you can try the charged drop kick if you guess right and they were hesitating to throw a fireball, or they just lost their charge. Otherwise, it's about recognizing the very moment they want to throw an FB, and jumping in.

You can't win in a footsie game against Guile, so you eventually have to do something dramatic. Maybe baiting a somersault with a dive bomb. Maybe sliding under a slow fireball as they follow it in and getting in that way. Maybe getting a good length away from a (meterless) Guile and talking into the mic. Stuff like that.

But from my experience, those reckless ways of getting in is what I'm looking for as Guile because I'll just quickly kill a Mika, seeing them get more and more impatient, and making my job easier. When their guard is really up and I throw one bad fireball, and then they get the jump-in... that's when it gets bad for me.

Man sitting at 3.2k and gold league feels so far away. Pretty proud I've managed to stay up with Juri tho when previously playing her would bump me back into ultra bronze

I'm in a similar situation. I tried to hit platinum for several months towards the end of summer but kept failing. Finally I stopped playing in September and when the December update was released I spent a few days again trying to hit Platinum but still couldn't. I wish the points had just trickled down and the guys with the skill level of Ultra Silver/Gold back in Summer were Super Gold/Ultra Gold by now. That way I could actually move up but the skill level IMO seems to have remained the same for the guys in the 5-8k range since last Summer that I mainly run into.

I'm around 7300 and I'm not sure when I'll try again because it feels depressing to fail over and over despite being so close.

joe2187

Banned
I somehow doubt the diamond guiles flux fights would fall for any of this, HP peach sounds incredibly unsafe.

Very, but in my experience I've eaten a trade at best, even with a super. Although Im a risky player whose constantly trading damage for better spacing. I'll eat the boom just for that spacing. It's worked out for me so far playing golds and whatnot, but I can see what you mean about people that know and play more.

How do I keep my head up? I bought the game yesterday, have a Hori RAP 4 Kai coming in tomorrow, and I'm already losing hope in my ability to ever feel competent at Street Fighter. I've played SF casually since Alpha 3 but I bought V in hopes of being as serious about it as I used to be about Tekken. I need a fucking drink.

How do I keep my head up? I bought the game yesterday, have a Hori RAP 4 Kai coming in tomorrow, and I'm already losing hope in my ability to ever feel competent at Street Fighter. I've played SF casually since Alpha 3 but I bought V in hopes of being as serious about it as I used to be about Tekken. I need a fucking drink.

Don't care about winning or trying to reach some ceiling. Just practice some BnBs for the characters you like and try to control space with your normals. Mess around with the trials, look on YouTube for some vids on fundamentals and/or your main, etc.

I'm not an expert, but SFV was my first fighting game in 5 years and it took awhile to get comfortable with all of the fighting game stuff again. However, one thing I did differently compared to how I used to look at these games is that I stopped caring about strategies, tournament play, reading forums like SRK, etc and just started pressing buttons and focused on enjoying myself.

Now I'm chilling at gold, and did all of the trials in a fighting game for the first time ever (even though these trials are probably the easiest in the genre).

mbpm1

Don't worry about the big picture. Set small goals like "I will attempt to AA every jump this match" and let the flowers blossom

I'm trying to find a character to play I've always liked Alex but people say he's the worst in the game. Is that true?
He's not the worst in the game. He's difficult to play though, and not very good, but you can win.

RK9039

Playing Charlie is such a rollacoaster, some really good streaks followed by 10 loses lol.

I've tried learning Urien and Guile today and a few others but the only one I really enjoy playing is Charlie. His turtle walk speed is what kills him the most for me. I don't think I care about the nerfs, such as the dashing distance reduction, but his slow ass needs tweaking. They want him to have an aggressive playstyle and yet he walks like he shat his pants.

I posted a while back about how I couldn't imagine playing with a DS4. Well today I got lazy and didn't feel like plugging in my stick and gave the pad a shot. It felt surprisingly good! I won some matches and didn't have any problems with move execution. I might keep doing this. At least I can use my headphones plugged into the DS4 jack this way.

Edit: Any opinions on the easiest trials to complete? And which are hardest? I've completed Laura's, Necali's and Guile's. Started but havent finished Ryu's, Balrog's, Bison's and Chun's. Would love to get some more FM just listening to tunes and completing trials this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom