• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

I'm trying to find a character to play I've always liked Alex but people say he's the worst in the game. Is that true?

Keep in mind that tier lists are based on high level play. The type of thing that limits a character at the highest levels might not be a huge issue in bronze or silver rank. Play a character that you enjoy and fits your style. That's way more important when you are just starting out.

Don't you live like 15 miles away from the border? Would explain you getting matched up with people from Mexico. I get themy every so often in all kinds of MP games and I'm in Orange County.

I live in NJ, and i get players from Mexico...
Top 3 outside of the US players..
Canada
Mexico
South America....These players are the worse fucking experience ever..

Please give me a region search option in matching making Capcom, searching by ping is a fucking horrible choice..

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you're using a stage mod or some kind of graphics mod based on this and another video you posted. Have you played the game lately in a purely vanilla state, without any mods or additional internet software, to gauge whether it works any better for you?

On the general topic of Mexicans, I see those flags now and then and the connection is often spotty, though the last few have been fine. I can't be sure they're really in Mexico, of course, but I'm in Southern Ontario, so I'd prefer not to play cross-continental matches.

stn

Guile is Akuma worst match up. Like what is Akuma suppose to do? Everything he does I just Flashkick out of it or just poke him.
I'd say its either Zangief, Balrog, or Cammy.

Zangief - hard to zone, has high damage, forces Akuma to come close to him and pressure
Balrog - hits hard, better buttons, ignores fireballs easily
Cammy - ignores your fireballs, has very superior pokes, and great speed

At least with Guile you can lame him out from full-screen with red fireballs and smart movement. They need to buff Akuma's regular LP fireball to full-screen. Heck, I'd even shave a frame or two off recovery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you're using a stage mod or some kind of graphics mod based on this and another video you posted. Have you played the game lately in a purely vanilla state, without any mods or additional internet software, to gauge whether it works any better for you?

The Sunny Days lighting mod? It's been like this before I started installing mods and at the start of S2 when the mods broke.

I posted a while back about how I couldn't imagine playing with a DS4. Well today I got lazy and didn't feel like plugging in my stick and gave the pad a shot. It felt surprisingly good! I won some matches and didn't have any problems with move execution. I might keep doing this. At least I can use my headphones plugged into the DS4 jack this way.

Edit: Any opinions on the easiest trials to complete? And which are hardest? I've completed Laura's, Necali's and Guile's. Started but havent finished Ryu's, Balrog's, Bison's and Chun's. Would love to get some more FM just listening to tunes and completing trials this evening.

Laura's trials were the easiest for me while the hardest trials were probably Dhalsim, and Ibuki. Guile's 9th one was the single hardest trial in the game though.

SephLuis

A few questions for Juri players:

- st.mk xx qcb mk. Is there any tips for doing this cancel more reliably ? I end up trying to input it so fast that I completely miss the cancel window. Ironically, it's easier to do mid combo, but I was wondering if there isn't a better way to do it.

- Is cr.hp safe on block ? I am going to guess that's a big no. Is this attack, at least, useful as an AA or it's just for CC ?

This other question is for everyone:

- How the fuck I deal with Urien ? First time playing against him in S2 and I got my back against the wall pretty fucking fast. Got out poked quite quickly and his shoulder can now follow up to a combo it kinda threw me for a loop since I didn't knew when to defend or attack. Any tips ?

Edzi

Here's something I don't get about the design of certain characters. Why is it that a good chunk of the cast can play incredibly well from multiple parts of the screen, while others can only play well up close?

SephLuis

Here's something I don't get about the design of certain characters. Why is it that a good chunk of the cast can play incredibly well from multiple parts of the screen, while others can only play well up close?

Characteristics of each character, really.

Mika, as a wrestler, should be incredibly strong from up close, so to keep things balanced, she should be weak in long distances. The same applies to Zangief.

Chun li is good in middle range, good up close, but not as good in long range. Up close she doesn't compare to Mika (which would be incredibly strong) so her strengths are better split.

A few questions for Juri players:

- st.mk xx qcb mk. Is there any tips for doing this cancel more reliably ? I end up trying to input it so fast that I completely miss the cancel window. Ironically, it's easier to do mid combo, but I was wondering if there isn't a better way to do it.

- Is cr.hp safe on block ? I am going to guess that's a big no. Is this attack, at least, useful as an AA or it's just for CC ?

1. I didn't even know you could combo that. I tested it in training mode just now and you have input it as fast as possible. You probably have way better execution in general than me so what's really fast for me may mean slow for you.

2. I don't use this normal much, but from my experience it was unsafe in S1. It's not useful as an anti air either. You're better off using st.hp or st.lp as an anti air.

SephLuis

1. I didn't even know you could combo that. I tested it in training mode just now and you have input it as fast as possible. You probably have way better execution in general than me so what's really fast for me may mean slow for you.

2. I don't use this normal much, but from my experience it was unsafe in S1. It's not useful as an anti air either. You're better off using st.hp or st.lp as an anti air.

I am using this video for practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABbcdUuTb0

Mid combo I can pull it off more consistently the cancel.
It's weird because the cancel is much harder without a combo so it feels that the cancel windows are different.

Mr. X

Hey I fought that guy as well when just going through gold quickly. His connection started out fine and then got immediately garbage.
Played him today, his connection was shit at the start and he was taking advantage of doing jump ins on me until I could see.

I'm legit starting to worry when other people are despairing over Alex more than I do. I'm supposed to be this character's chicken little, guys.
Doesn't every game essentially boil down to that? Sure you'll get the random mid tier character in top 8 every few tournaments because the player skill and dedication to their character. 3S has its definitive top tier but it doesn't seem to affect the outlook on that game nowadays.

I like ChrisG as he seems like a really funny guy but that dude played one of the most busted Marvel3 teams with a boring style so I'm surprised he's complaining so much about this game. Having 8 top tiers out of a cast of 23 is pretty good. Although I'll admit they are a little over tuned compared to some. Alex and FANG LOL.

Everyone is just so down on this game it's kinda sad. It's really having a ripple effect of negativity on the community. I enjoy my time with it for the most part despite some issues I have with some choices they've made. I wish these people would help develop other FG communities instead of brining so much negativity all thentime.

Though if they got deep into those games the same attitude and complaints they have about SFV will resurface as it is their general outlook on fighters. Hopefully capcom can appeal to the pro scene more going forward as catering to the casuals at this point is a waste of resources and time and will end up causing more negativity in the competitive scene.
You are spot on about the negativity affecting other people, but I'm not so sure that it's a good reason to tune them out. Only scathing criticism will make Capcom actually listen. Anyways, I blame Chris G and Urien's insanely fast recovery off EX headbutt for my post. He recovers so quickly that perfectly timed neutral jump crossups (karin's j.mk and alex's j.lk) whiff on him entirely and he gets a free punish. It really got on my nerves yesterday lol.
Yeah I feel like EX stomp is Alexs only way of getting in since you're +2 or an EX elbow to use that armor to hope you'll get in. Sims arced fireballs don't help at all though.
EX slash elbow is better even if he ends up with some gray life because of it. Sim just destroys those stomps since they don't have an air hitbox like they did in 3S.
The problem is that both of those methods cost meter and are incredibly risky to do. Elbow especially since it's so negative. Failure means he can either punish or teleport away.
Just gotta take a risk. That is how Alex has always been played even back in 3S.
Yeah that's what I was getting at.

He clearly plays more like gief type of grappler in having to be patient and find your opening although not to the extent that gief has to play it. They really need to give Alex a 5 frame command grab for starters. I mean they gave laura one and she's mobile as fuck.
I'd rather see his command grab range extended across all levels. All versions except light have absolutely terrible range. Sometimes I don't even try EX or HP power bombs even after a dash because they whiff way too often.
Laura seems really braindead -_-. She can just press any button from anywhere on the screen.

Salt.

But really tho

EDIT: JESUS, Gief is stupid good now. Is Alex seriously the only grappler who's trash now? WTF Capcom. -_-
Season 2 Gief is amazing compared to his season 1 version. On top of his great power bomb range he has a stupid good lariat and so many new hit confirms into CA that I really do shake in my boots.
I really have been in a state of apathy for the game ever since this season started. I was feeling something similar before the start of season 2 but that was because it felt kinda pointless to play something that's going to fundamentally change in a little while.

But as season 2 came along, it's kinda killed my passion for this game. The problems didn't REALLY get sorted out, the framework of the game is still incredibly underwhelming and the game feels like it's more binary than ever.

It just feels like Capcom seriously didn't think all of the changes through or didn't implement all of them because this feels like half a season worth of changes tbh. The new characters might be a breath of fresh air but honestly I feel like the problems of the season are just too great for me to ignore, especially the problems that have been there since season 1.

And before people saying it's my character, I feel FANG is even more viable now than he was before but despite this I'm just not enjoying the game or playing with him half the time.
Someone once said that people feel more hopeless because they waited so long and don't expect another patch for a year. That probably plays into it somewhat. I'll also go on the record and say that this felt like a complete update just going by the sheer number of changes. The problem was the excessive amount of nerfing going around that could have been time and brainpower spent on buffing weak characters instead. Basically, the sum total of work is huge, but they clearly spent more time on some things they shouldn't have. V-reversal nerfs, white life nerfs and medium normal speed/hitbox/hurtbox nerfs almost entirely across the board feel like they were a big use of time and energy that could have been spent elsewhere to make a better update.
That person who you think is lagswitching, probably isn't lagswitching.
I've had some situations where lag helped me win and I felt like scumbag, but I knew that the opponent would totally take advantage if they could. Feels bad, but you gotta keep pressing those buttons. :/
Ucchedavāda;228366395 said:
The problem is that, for most characters, the damage that you can get for a successful anti-air is much, much less than what your opponent can get from one successful jump-in. So the risk/reward ratio is skewed in favor of the player who tries to jump-in multiple times.
Necalli is one of the few characters I can think of who will blow up jump ins entirely with his crush counters.
Playing against a good Balrog, Laura, Cammy, or Guile is just insanely unfun. Feels like getting utterly shut down.
I have a better time againsit Balrog with Alex, but the rest are definitely easier to fight with Karin. All in all Guile is nowhere near as unfun to fight as the others, though. He actually has a different gameplan than RTSD and close range guessing games.
I'm trying to find a character to play I've always liked Alex but people say he's the worst in the game. Is that true?
Things don't start getting bad until gold level and up imo, but you'll probably start to notice the match ups at ultra silver because in my experience it can be really hard to hit that gold 4K for some people, so strong players can get stuck down below if they can't get big win streaks or wins against platinum/ultra gold players.

Yeah I'm not suggesting that they be tuned out as they do make valid points and I'm not trying to defend SFV or say it is without faults. Just the community can be a little overly critical and knee jerky and it rubs off on people.

About Alex I forgot just how bad his command grab range is to the other grapplers. It's really mind boggling they gave him what he has. They also need to give him a hitbox in the air during his stomps like you mentioned. These changes would be going down the right road to make him more viable in the game. They just needed to copy/paste him from 3S and adjust from there honestly.

Well came in 2nd in my first competitive try. Feels good. Now to go learn the Urien v. Akuma matchup. Those ground pound/demon flip mixups are killer.

Fuudo sticking with Mika in this Japan vs China event live stream:
https://www.douyu.com/37807

Only scathing criticism will make Capcom actually listen.

No, it won't.

Good criticism will. Bad, exaggerated rant based criticism won't.

If people start jumping down Capcom's throat for every little thing, they'll just stop listening to you...because those types of people can never be satisfied. I've seem so many contradictory suggestions regarding SF5, that it's almost hilarious...even from "top players".

Well, I'll tell ya...it sure doesn't FEEL like I'm playing the worst character in the game when I use him. When I lose, I definitely don't blame it on the character. I always see where my mistakes are and where I can improve. Even against diamonds. Even against the supposed "god-tiers" in S2. I never feel like "there's nothing I can do" as Alex.

Yeah I'm not suggesting that they be tuned out as they do make valid points and I'm not trying to defend SFV or say it is without faults. Just the community can be a little overly critical and knee jerky and it rubs off on people.

About Alex I forgot just how bad his command grab range is to the other grapplers. It's really mind boggling they gave him what he has. They also need to give him a hitbox in the air during his stomps like you mentioned. These changes would be going down the right road to make him more viable in the game. They just needed to copy/paste him from 3S and adjust from there honestly.
What they should take another look at in a 3S frame of mind is his D j.HP flying cross chop. On one hand they gave him the ability to confirm into standing medium punch off of it which should be a huge buff, but on the other it is absolutely terrible in air to air situations and terms of versatility because he can only do it at the top of his forward jump arc (waaaaay too predictable and easy to whiff into j.HP). In 3S he can do it during neutral jumps and at many more points in his forward jump arc, so it is a viable move for getting out of the corner and generally surprising people midair since it knocks them towards the corner like a counterhit st.HK. I've also never accidentally gotten a j.HP since he can do it at super low and high points in his 3S jump arc. In this video you can see how being able to do it at many points in his jump arc and having the juggling property can lead to some neat stuff. It's one of those low key things that has been bothering me in the back of my mind for a while now.
No, it won't.

Good criticism will. Bad, exaggerated rant based criticism won't.

If people start jumping down Capcom's throat for every little thing, they'll just stop listening to you...because those types of people can never be satisfied. I've seem so many contradictory suggestions regarding SF5, that it's almost hilarious...even from "top players".
I should have added the word "constructive" along with the word "scathing". Alex Valle is an example of constructive criticism whenever he isn't playing defensive for Capcom (like the second part of his interview on ehubs which is pretty good imo). Infiltration's latest interview was scathing by pro standards, though. I've got a feeling that they're taking that one to heart for sure because it made waves.

Edzi

I never thought I'd get this far, but I finally managed to make Platinum. Gonna take a break from Ranked for a bit now, but man, I can't believe it.

l1ekZtF.jpg

Nah, they're just going to nerf Fang.
It's just expected at this point. The weirdest thing about this is that I haven't even heard any F.A.N.G mains really complain about this. Alex mains of course, but FANG mains are just taking this in stride, probably cause we're so used to the low-tier life.
Learned something new today: birdie's banana stops chun's super in its tracks rofl
If they're on the ground and they're not invincible, then the banana wrecks them.
Oh and free Rolento DLC
image.php

Never knew that. Was really funny because the guy did it full screen thinking he could tag me. She went straight looney toons

It's a great tool because if the opponent touches it and they're not blocking then they're going to get tripped by it and the only situations where they're blocking are when they empty jump and block when they land or when they're sitting there crouching and you manually move them towards the banana or when you just throw it out there and they're already blocking.

Most other situations though they're gonna get hit unless of course they're invincible.
You were probably out of range of Chun-Li's CA legs or were already blocking so she got hit by it otherwise as vulva pointed out, it's a decent punish if you're mid-animation. Characters like Vega, Ken,Birdie, Necalli can do something similar.

Shackzam

I never thought I'd get this far, but I finally managed to make Platinum. Gonna take a break from Ranked for a bit now, but man, I can't believe it.

Good shit. I just started playing ranked again after getting to gold and just been doing a lot of offline sessions to level up my game. Ended up getting to ultra gold in less then 3 hours and stopped playing for the night.

Marvel

could never
Really? Lol awesome

He most certainly is fun but I feel one will truly enjoy him if they're more of a reactive player otherwise it'll feel like a struggle in some matchups.
He is one of the two remaining characters I have simply not used more than a minute. (Sim is the other)

The can and Banana intrigue me.

Did you know that some pirate dude from an old Capcom game was gonna be in SFV? They axed the idea because Birdie covered the item-on-the-ground market, but dude was gonna summon barrels and shit.

Woulda been fun to see.
Goddamn it, why doesn't Capcom go with the wacky shit :(

Like Akuma holding a baby on his back and his V-Trigger is the baby falling asleep so he can use his full power.

I don't know why, but fat Birdie just doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as Rufus or Honda. Maybe it might be that he actually looks more realistic than those two. I know there are literally ball shaped fat people out there, but they're pretty rare. Most fat people you see have got it spilling out their sides and front like Birdie. His gluttonous personality also manages to sell it pretty well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Birdie looks and animates fantasticly. He's not "blob of goo" Rufus.

I actually got the 1 million FM achievement now. I'm only missing the survival ones...

His animations are certainly top notch, I'm just not a fan of the direction they've taken with his character.

Rufus was an unholy mistake so let's just not talk about him ever.

E.Honda does make sense cause he's a sumo wrestler and he's not THAT fat since he also has muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom