• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

I think it's hilarious that Balrog's dash punches are fairly easy to make safe yet he can punish all of Alex's approaches with a 3 frame target combo.

I swear, I also think Rog has a better throw game than Alex, the supposed grappler. His throw range might be bad, but he can get in so easily for the mixups.

y'all are lobbying? one more?

I'm leaving soon, up to joe.

joe2187

Banned
I'm leaving soon, up to joe.

Sure, Im a masochist. I dont mind being the lobby punching bag.

I've only played against a few rogs, and Alexes so I dont know the matchups as well.

I dont mind getting trounced by you guys, Im learning more and more.

Whats yalls CFN IDS?

Edzi

GGs guys, time for me to go. I'll probably be on later tonight.

Send me an invite as well when you can cfn: Shackzam

Man, S2 Balrog irks me so much as an Alex player since I feel like both characters share some similarities, but one does them well while the other was left with nothing. Definitely one of the matchups I need the most work on too, since I even struggled against him in S1.

Grifter

I've only played against a few rogs, and Alexes so I dont know the matchups as well.

Whats yalls CFN IDS?

rekkaralph

mbpm1

Whats yalls CFN IDS?

im giefstew

Shackzam

GGs guys, time for me to go. I'll probably be on later tonight.

Man, S2 Balrog irks me so much as an Alex player since I feel like he shares some similarities with Alex, but just does them well while Alex is left with nothing. Definitely one of the matchups I need the most work on too, since I even struggled against him in S1.

Yeah I always thought this match-up was difficult for balrog. They both have similar styles of moves, but they are used for different purposes. I wasn't to many new s2 stuff to you, but with alex's normal's nerfs it's way easier to whiff punish him

Man, S2 Balrog irks me so much as an Alex player since I feel like both characters share some similarities, but one does them well while the other was left with nothing. Definitely one of the matchups I need the most work on too, since I even struggled against him in S1.
The primary problem with Alex since SF3 has been the lack of a good move with forward momentum for mixups and damage. The closest he's got to that are his EX stomp in SFV (if spaced just right) and sledgehammer which he can't make safe or cancel. His f.HP is nice, but you can't dash into an opponent and do it all willy nilly. It also whiffs on crouching opponents.

Dash up command grabs all day, son
Yeah I always thought this match-up was difficult for balrog. They both have similar styles of moves, but they are used for different purposes. I wasn't to many new s2 stuff to you, but with alex's normal's nerfs it's way easier to whiff punish him
Unlike Karin Alex has a parry, a longer reaching crouching light punch and an armored EX slash elbow to fall back on. It is still kind of a tough fight for Alex if he doesn't have v-gauge or meter, though.

Shackzam

My tv decided to freak out in the middle of the first round was just hittin shit on my controller lol. First time that's happened. I haven't played against many akuma's so I'm learning his basics.

Rest in pepperoni, arcade stick.

You were good to me.

Back to the pad for a month. It doesn't feel too bad, actually, but some things are a little painful to hit. In the meantime, I'll just have to research sticks and make a better purchase this time.

You were good to me.

Back to the pad for a month. It doesn't feel too bad, actually, but some things are a little painful to hit. In the meantime, I'll just have to research sticks and make a better purchase this time.

What happened to your stick?

Mr. X

You were good to me.

What kind of stick?

I dunno. It's not sending enough power to be used or something. I did some soldering to fix the faulty wire, but nah, nothing.

Hori Kai. I've had it for a while, but I didn't know sticks die out this fast. According to reviews, some do lol.

There's been some shoddy build quality this gen for sticks. I still have my launch TE from 09 that is running to this day. I've had more issues with sticks this gen than in the last decade.

Dear Google

"How do I fight Balrog?"
One thing to keep in mind is that he never has access to both a low and an overhead at the same time. If he's in V-Skill spin, he doesn't have a low. If he's in it, he doesn't have an overhead. React and defend accordingly.

You were good to me.

My Qanba Q4RAF has treated me well these past 5 or so years, but it's time for me to go on to something new as well. I'm thinking eTokki Omni.

Does nobody use Balrog? I switched from Guile just to take a break and started wrecking people with Rog and I barely know what I'm doing. I used him a bit in IV but he's pretty different here.

It felt like people didn't know how to defend anything because they weren't familiar with him.

SephLuis

I don't know what they did to Juri this season but her players are emboldened and I have to learn how to fight her all over again.

It seems like her forward flippy kick is safe on block? What a world.

I'm surprised you have been finding Juri players. You might want to play the lottery this week.

Overall her combos are better (they still need a fuck ton of resources to deal any good damage) and the tweaked the normals.

I can't play ultra aggressively with her so I can't say if you're playing against bad or great Juris.

Edzi

Anyone else online? Preferably people who play Rog or zoner chars, since that's my biggest weakness right now.

let's do it

GGs, after the first loss you realized it would be better to play a fireball game, and boy were you right.

Fireballs, godlike neutral jumps (seriously, HOW are you supposed to deal with someone playing keepaway and neutral jumping from full screen? It blows up any attempt at approaching) and I maintain that Akuma's f.HP is one of the cheapest moves in the game. I am at a loss. Advice?

I know, I know, the solution is god like reactions. That seems to be the answer to all my problems at this point.

Anyone else online? Preferably people who play Rog or zoner chars, since that's my biggest weakness right now.

GGs, after the first loss you realized it would be better to play a fireball game, and boy were you right.

Fireballs, godlike neutral jumps (seriously, HOW are you supposed to deal with someone playing keepaway and neutral jumping from full screen? It blows up any attempt at approaching) and I maintain that Akuma's f.HP is one of the cheapest moves in the game. I am at a loss. Advice?

I know, I know, the solution is god like reactions. That seems to be the answer to all my problems at this point.

You have any of these matchup you're having problems with recorded/uploaded? I'd like to watch os

Shackzam

Fireballs, godlike neutral jumps (seriously, HOW are you supposed to deal with someone playing keepaway and neutral jumping from full screen? It blows up any attempt at approaching) and I maintain that Akuma's f.HP is one of the cheapest moves in the game. I am at a loss.

I do it by seeing more of a pattern and habit they do when they wanna start neutral jumping
Mainly Ryu

Ahh, that makes on how your playstyle is.

Edzi

You have any of these matchup you're having problems with recorded/uploaded? I'd like to watch os

I don't have em recorded, sorry, not really sure how on PC. There's not much to see though, I fully admit that it's just an issue of me not knowing how to approach the matchups, so it's literally just me being shut down and having now idea how to even approach.

I do it by seeing more of a pattern and habit they do when they wanna start neutral jumping

Ahh, that makes on how your playstyle is.

My issue is I don't know how to approach if they're just neutral jumping. Even if I know they're doing it, I don't know what to do to stop it. If I try to walk up and AA, I'm always too slow and I end up being hit for it.

It's gotten seriously bad too, since it seems like at higher levels more and more people know to do this and it's driving me crazy. On top of that, it just looks super silly.

Grifter

GGs. I've thought about phasing out the stomp. It hits late, so you can CH him even after he lands into a full combo. It has other uses, but for throws, the classic shimmy is still less risk/better reward so this is more shimmy for babbies.

I just backed up because you seemed to sit back and guess on specials.

Edzi

GGs. I've thought about phasing out the stomp. It hits late, so you can CH him even after he lands into a full combo. It has other uses, but for throws, the classic shimmy is still less risk/better reward so this is more shimmy for babbies.

Yeah, didn't really know what to do lol.

Wait, by stomp are you referring to Akuma's f.HP? That shit is positive on block dude, it seems better than a shimmy since it conditions you to be super scared of approaches if you can't punish it on reaction. Blows up some supers and v-reversals too.

Shackzam

I don't have em recorded, sorry, not really sure how on PC. There's not much to see though, I fully admit that it's just an issue of me not knowing how to approach the matchups, so it's literally just me being shut down and having now idea how to even approach.

My issue is I don't know how to approach if they're just neutral jumping. Even if I know they're doing it, I don't know what to do to stop it. If I try to walk up and AA, I'm always too slow and I end up being hit for it.

Doesn't f.hp reach pretty far if they neutral jump pretty close? Also if they neutral jump far away then you should take up the space they aren't protecting

Edzi

Doesn't f.hp reach pretty far if they neutral jump pretty close? Also if they neutral jump far away then you should take up the space they aren't protecting

I haven't really tried f.hp, I'll try to keep that in mind. It's pretty slow though, so I'm not sure it'd be fast enough considering how slow I am to react.

Producer

Im biased but she definately lost a bit more than that. Lol. Shes still top 5 imo, but not a definate top 2 like season 1. Necalli is that dude that didnt lose too much

mbpm1

yeah there's a big vulnerable window. its at least usable as an option, but it's easier to keep things tight with walking back and forth

mbpm1

I'm playing on PC sometimes I play someone else on PC and they freeze and skip all around the screen is that cause of a low frame rate?

It can be that, as well as a bad connection with the other player. If you set your search to only find players that are 4-5 bars those matches should be less. If you set the search to "ask" you before dropping you in the match you should be able to see the status of the connection and choose to join or not.

bc capcom still doesn't really know how to make netcode properly gauge someone's connection you'll still see some matches that skip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom