• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvenize

Ucchedavāda;228492708 said:
Oh, cool, we ran into each other in ranked, yesterday.
I remember because your CFN name literally made me laugh out loud at the VS screen.

I was a flow-charty silver Rog that you beat 2:0; CFN: Monochromatism

U should totally let me invite you.

RK9039

Ucchedavāda;228492708 said:
Oh, cool, we ran into each other in ranked, yesterday.
I remember because your CFN name literally made me laugh out loud at the VS screen.

I was a flow-charty silver Rog that you beat 2:0; CFN: Monochromatism

Oh yeah I remember you lol, you're pretty good.

I tried to play S2 Birdie, but the loss of d.mp as an decent anti-air hurt. What have you been using for your anti-air as Birdie?

The cr.mp is still good, just not absolutely God-Tier. It still hits anything on top of you so it's a decent way to beat those close jump ins.

Cr.hp is also a good button now since you can cancel it into heavy bullhead ,bullhorn and chain in some close situations but it needs to be done a bit eariler than most AA buttons due to it's startup.

RK9039

GGs galvenize, strong player.

Alex and Juri are definitely two of my weakest, I haven't bought those characters so I have no idea what I'm doing against them. I bought Guile literally yesterday to beat that bastard.

FluxWaveZ

I think every Mika player I know is now a Laura player except for Flux lol. These guys never liked the character they're just riding the top tier wave.

Gotta give Flux dap for sticking with Mika tho, he's legit like the only one except for maybe Luffy & Fuudo

It's been a struggle; I imagine she must be one of the characters who's the hardest to adjust to from S1 to S2, ala Nash. I'm slowly getting to the point where I can be as confident in my play as I was near the end of S1, though.

For characters currently considered top 5 who might be dropped down a bit in the future, I can see Laura and maybe Balrog. People couldn't handle Mika in S1, so they just resorted to complaining about her and didn't bother going into Training mode to adapt. Which the pro players certainly did; it's why she wasn't played very much at a high level for a character who was supposedly top tier. She had really powerful gimmicks, but very clearly defined flaws. It's just that the focus was always on the former.

The same might be happening with Laura right now. I think she might be a more "solid" character than S1 Mika because her game plan doesn't rely on the corner and she has better footsie tools, but once people adapt to her offense, this sudden Laura influx might drop down a bit. The two things right now that bother me the most with her are:

1. I don't think a mobile grappler should ever have the kind of overhead she currently does. It adds an extra dimension to her mixups that grapplers don't typically have for a reason.
2. She already had EX elbow as a projectile counter tool. She didn't need her EX command grab to be projectile invincible, that is insane.

I think it comes down to two things with Balrog: people aren't respecting his buttons enough, and the fact that people can't just get away with walking back when he's close like they did in S1. If people start to treat him more like they're facing Necalli, they might approach the MU differently.

It's been a struggle; I imagine she must be one of the characters who's the hardest to adjust to from S1 to S2, ala Nash. I'm slowly getting to the point where I can be as confident in my play as I was near the end of S1, though.

For characters currently considered top 5 who might be dropped down a bit in the future, I can see Laura and maybe Balrog. People couldn't handle Mika in S1, so they just resorted to complaining about her and didn't bother going into Training mode to adapt. Which the pro players certainly did; it's why she wasn't played very much at a high level for a character who was supposedly top tier. She had really powerful gimmicks, but very clearly defined flaws. It's just that the focus was always on the former.

The same might be happening with Laura right now. I think she might be a more "solid" character than S1 Mika because her game plan doesn't rely on the corner and she has better footsie tools, but once people adapt to her offense, this sudden Laura influx might drop down a bit.

I think it comes down to two things with Balrog: people aren't respecting his buttons enough, and the fact that people can't just get away with walking back when he's close like they did in S1. If people start to treat him more like they're facing Necalli, they might approach the MU differently.
While it is a struggle, you found new/different ways to use her tools instead of just jumping on the new best character.

I think people put time into training mode against Mika but there's so many times when you're put into 50/50 situations it doesn't really matter lol. You can train all you want against her but you're still flipping a coin whether she grabs you or hits you with a st.MP -> clap gg. A lot of the time you're just put into a lesser of two evils situation in holding a grab, but then her grabs loop into each other lol. I think the biggest issue I had with S1 Mika was her V-Reversal being +2 after a dash. She could flip the table on you while it's your turn and put you into a 50/50 for being offensive lol.

The two things right now that bother me the most with her are:

1. I don't think a mobile grappler should ever have the kind of overhead she currently does. It adds an extra dimension to her mixups that grapplers don't typically have for a reason.
2. She already had EX elbow as a projectile counter tool. She didn't need her EX command grab to be projectile invincible, that is insane.

She arguably had the worst overhead in the game in S1 with the risk never being worth the reward at -7 on block and 0 on hit. Even when done meaty its still negative. Now at least there's some reward/incentive to use it or it's still your turn afterwards. Her overhead is pretty much an online yolo special when not done in a reset.

Her EX command grab was damn near useless too lol, shit was a hail mary in a lot of situations since it got beat out by everything. Only decent use was praying someone quick rised after a regular throw, apart from that it had no use. The EX command throw buff finally gives her a chance against Guile because her EX elbow gets eaten by V-Skill booms. Not only that, the EX Elbow having armour at frame 3 makes it that you can't punish fake fireball blockstrings like Rashid/Ryu/Ken etc. When they do cr.MK -> fireball, you can't ex elbow through it because you get hit out of the armour, so you'd only be able to do it from a distance. Now you can punish those fake strings.

FluxWaveZ

While it is a struggle, you found new/different ways to use her tools instead of just jumping on the new best character.

I think people put time into training mode against Mika but there's so many times when you're put into 50/50 situations it doesn't really matter lol. You can train all you want against her but you're still flipping a coin whether she grabs you or hits you with a st.MP -> clap gg. A lot of the time you're just put into a lesser of two evils situation in holding a grab, but then her grabs loop into each other lol. I think the biggest issue I had with S1 Mika was her V-Reversal being +2 after a dash. She could flip the table on you while it's your turn and put you into a 50/50 for being offensive lol.

Another Laura here, Drae "Yomi" Games, has also been telling me how the worst thing he faced against S1 Mika was the V-Reversal. It certainly was the best one in the game (or one of them), but I never thought it was that bad for him. But yeah, he was telling me how it changes the dynamics of how he plays against her, because now he doesn't have to be reluctant even on offense, because he won't be put into a 50/50 situation by being aggressive like that. Makes sense.

I agree with the situation going bad when she finally gets in and it's guessing time, but that's really just the nature of any grappler. The clap was the big thing that lead to situations like those, with easier corner carry than she has now.

The thing I'd really want changed right now is the +4 recovery on EX Peach. She doesn't get that many knock down opportunities where she's close anymore, so she should at least be rewarded when she does. Now you see Mikas not even using the EX Peach when they can go for a regular one instead, just because they get better oki off of it. Doesn't really make sense.

Another Laura here, Drae "Yomi" Games, has also been telling me how the worst thing he faced against S1 Mika was the V-Reversal. It certainly was the best one in the game (or one of them), but I never thought it was that bad for him. But yeah, he was telling me how it changes the dynamics of how he plays against her, because now he doesn't have to be reluctant even on offense, because he won't be put into a 50/50 situation by being aggressive like that. Makes sense.

I agree with the situation going bad when she finally gets in and it's guessing time, but that's really just the nature of any grappler. The clap was the big thing that lead to situations like those, with easier corner carry than she has now.

The thing I'd really want changed right now is the +4 recovery on EX Peach. She doesn't get that many knock down opportunities where she's close anymore, so she should at least be rewarded when she does. Now you see Mikas not even using the EX Peach when they can go for a regular one instead, just because they get better oki off of it. Doesn't really make sense.
It was definitely the best V-Reversal in the game lol, you could lose the match for being offensive. And yea, every grappler is going to have you guessing, but she shouldn't have you guessing while you're on the offense. Nor can you really train against 50/50 situations, but you can train against getting yourself into the situation.. which it was hard not to with the hitbox/hurtbox on clap and V-reversal.

If they buffed back her ex Peach then she'd pretty much still have Clap -> Ex peach -> 50/50 in neutral just without the wallbounce lol.

I dunno, there's no reason to be hit by st.MP instead of a command grab, you either block and not get hit or block and get grabbed, you can't tech a command throw anyway, for a regular grab the mixup is the same with any other character, you either tech and not get grabbed or you tech and you eat a fat stHP and lose 40% life.

Someone like vega has way more options(plus buttons, walkspeed/shimmy, airthrow, overhead, command grab) to fuck your life up in the corner imo, difference is just that his command grab kinda resets the situation.
Personally I always found ken and laura to be just as oppressive to deal with as mika in the corner in S1.

I dunno, there's no reason to be hit by st.MP instead of a command grab, you either block and not get hit or block and get grabbed, you can't tech a command throw anyway, for a regular grab the mixup is the same with any other character, you either tech and not get grabbed or you tech and you eat a fat stHP and lose 40% life.

Someone like vega has way more options(plus buttons, walkspeed/shimmy, airthrow, overhead, command grab) to fuck your life up in the corner imo, difference is just that his command grab kinda resets the situation.
Personally I always found ken and laura to be just as oppressive to deal with as mika in the corner in S1.

Mika's grabs loop into each other in the corner, there's gotta be a point where you decide to guess backdash/jump then get hit by st.MP. Yea eating the throws is the lesser of two evils, but nobody wants to get dunked 5-10 times in a row lol

Also, I have no idea why Necalli has a command throw or why it leaves you directly in front of him lol.

Edzi

Mika's grabs loop into each other in the corner, there's gotta be a point where you decide to guess backdash/jump then get hit by st.MP. Yea eating the throws is the lesser of two evils, but nobody wants to get dunked 5-10 times in a row lol

Also, I have no idea why Necalli has a command throw or why it leaves you directly in front of him lol.

Necalli having a command throw is one of the most bizarrely overlooked things about this game.

Necalli having a command throw is one of the most bizarrely overlooked things about this game.

It really makes no sense. I feel like they had already made the animation for the grab and didn't know who to give it to so they just tacked it onto him for whatever reason.

Prehistoric Seth indeed.

RK9039

You guys were so fast and that didn't even look like you gave me your mains. Thanks for the matches though.

Charlie is my main, but I've played Bison in Survival a lot so I know some combos. I'll have to drop Charlie eventually for someone better, I'm still searching though. Let us know if you want to play again, that was my first proper battle longue.

mbpm1

It really makes no sense. I feel like they had already made the animation for the grab and didn't know who to give it to so they just tacked it onto him for whatever reason.

Prehistoric Seth indeed.

they could give it to akuma

his dp in vt has him palming the opponent's face like that

so they could make his dp a command grab too

Kappa

FluxWaveZ

If they buffed back her ex Peach then she'd pretty much still have Clap -> Ex peach -> 50/50 in neutral just without the wallbounce lol.

I dunno, man, I feel like it's something they might eventually give back to her, 'cause it kinda sucks to land something like that and then literally get no oki off of it if they decide to back roll. It does require meter, after all.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still convinced Necalli was supposed to be some kind of turn-to-fluid monster god like he's portrayed in all parts of the story he appears in. But maybe they couldn't make it work and they just threw in whatever. Divekick? Sure. Headbutt? Why not. Command grab? Of course. The list goes on.

mbpm1

I mean, Necalli's supposed to have absorbed different styles from the million good fighters he ate right?

I feel like they could have showed that off more, but we just get knockoff wolverine with stomps and a bunch of special moves instead. *shrug*

Also he stutters for some reason. Couldn't he have absorbed speechmanship or w/e?

I'm still convinced Necalli was supposed to be some kind of turn-to-fluid monster god like he's portrayed in all parts of the story he appears in. But maybe they couldn't make it work and they just threw in whatever. Divekick? Sure. Headbutt? Why not. Command grab? Of course. The list goes on.

Call me mad and maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but Necalli is a spirit or force of some sort, rite? And the body with the dreads is just a host body, rite? If so could the character change visually from game to game like Yoshimitsu in Tekken? It would just be taking over a different host body everytime.

I dunno, man, I feel like it's something they might eventually give back to her, 'cause it kinda sucks to land something like that and then literally get no oki off of it if they decide to back roll. It does require meter, after all.

Yea, I think the issue is was that they didn't give her anything back for all the nerfs. Nothing worthwhile at least unless her air target combo becomes broken somehow.

I also don't know how anyone could lose playing Necalli. The character has everything you need and then some. The character does like 95% of the work and all you gotta do is put that extra 5% in for the W. It's like an exam where there's no test and all you gotta do is just show up.

Damn, we still have rage quitters. It's already bad enough that in using FANG, but when I do manage to get a victory, they skip town. Gonna be a long road to super silver, if I ever get there.

Cepheus

I've resigned to the fact that I will never get out of Bronze hell. Today 3 people ranked up to Silver and one guy to Super Silver as a result of beating me, and I went from about 1600 down to 1300, back to 1500 and then down to 1400 again today. All I want to do is get to Silver and then stop playing Ranked for a while. High level Uriens are nasty.

I've resigned to the fact that I will never get out of Bronze hell. Today 3 people ranked up to Silver and one guy to Super Silver as a result of beating me, and I went from about 1600 down to 1300, back to 1500 and then down to 1400 again today. All I want to do is get to Silver and then stop playing Ranked for a while. High level Uriens are nasty.
Who do you play as?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Post some matches if you want help.

Call me mad and maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but Necalli is a spirit or force of some sort, rite? And the body with the dreads is just a host body, rite? If so could the character change visually from game to game like Yoshimitsu in Tekken? It would just be taking over a different host body everytime.
I think that's correct, but I'm not sure why this god chose to be this idiot creature. Doesn't make sense.

Ryu. He's the best character for me to use because I came in from Third Strike and it looks like he changed the least move and playstyle-wise.
Yeah, that's the blessing/curse with playing with him. He is the most familiar to play as, but he is also the one people are most exposed to.

Win or loose laura is not fun to fight against, in a really bad way.

I've thought this before season 2, but season 2 amplifies this. Her move set is just... bad. Its not fun to play, its not fun to fight. It smacks of trying to be accessible, but ends up being predictable wall.

She's like alex but someone forgot why alex was fun to play and then made a character
Never give Makoto a fireball.
Necalli is still top 5 IMO. Dude's still as oppressive as ever. st.LP AA is pretty much unchanged lol.

I feel the only character that really got their st.LP AA nerfed was Alex
Alex and Ryu

Everyone else is the same or slightly worse. Jumping in on Sim, Juri and Gief is truly impossible.
Ucchedavāda;228483244 said:
Remember when Zombegoast wrote that Zangief was one of the most popular characters online and people called bullshit? Based on v-league.pro and starting from Season 2, he is the third most common character that I run into in Ranked, after Akuma (#1) and Ryu (#2). That's actually kind of amazing
The power of good buffs.
Being able to armour more damage than you have life remaining is still stupid.
Let me have this. Alex sucks enough as it is.
It wouldn't bother me so much if his command grab range were shorter than Alex's range, but nope. Gotta give Necalli that range because he'd be ass without it.
I also don't know how anyone could lose playing Necalli. The character has everything you need and then some. The character does like 95% of the work and all you gotta do is put that extra 5% in for the W. It's like an exam where there's no test and all you gotta do is just show up.
Stop it

You are making me want to join the unga bunga side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom