• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Someone asked this in here before and now I'm asking this myself:
Are you +/- 0 after a throw tech? I feel like I get hit by slow moves after it when I'm hitting a faster one, it doesn't make sense. Is the "defender" at frame advantage afterwards or what?

Edzi

Are you +/- 0 after a throw tech? I feel like I get hit by slow moves after it when I'm hitting a faster one, it doesn't make sense. Is the "defender" at frame advantage afterwards or what?

I'm the one that keeps asking that, and nobody has responded yet. I've learned through experience that you'll lose if you press anything, since everyone else just throws out sweep and it CCs anything. I think it must be +/-0 so you're just out of range of most other normals so they get beat clean by the heavier move.

Edzi

Can other characters V-Reversal Mika's f.HP? It seems like Alex's is too slow now...

Nah I've had Ryu's still hit me while I'm behind him during a cross up for whatever reason. The hitbox is a damn umbrella

Yup, I've been hit with his AA jab plenty of times in S2. Alex's on the other hand is so unreliable that it's not worth using anymore, unless you wanna eat a full jump in combo. Thankfully his cr. HP is pretty decent.

DunpealD

I won 255 points earlier from a Gold Mika around the same LP range as me. Obviously it didn't get added to my LP, but my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets.

LTTP, but having seen all my FM getting reduced to 0 FM(ca. 200k) in the post match screen was my eyepopping moment. Luckily nothing was lost.

Might be a small buff for Alex, but according to his framedata he can now punish all sweeps on block with cr.HP.

Throw tech is neutral, if you got hit by a slower move, it´s just a difference in hit/hurtboxes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the one that keeps asking that, and nobody has responded yet. I've learned through experience that you'll lose if you press anything, since everyone else just throws out sweep and it CCs anything. I think it must be +/-0 so you're just out of range of most other normals so they get beat clean by the heavier move.
Anything I can find says +/- 0, but this exact same thing happened to me so often now that I'm pretty confused. Guess I have to mash harder.

Edzi

Throw tech is neutral, if you got hit by a slower move, it´s just a difference in hit/hurtboxes.

The problem is you're out of range of most moves, so by the time anything is out, chances are the sweep is too and it'll beat anything weaker. This favors characters with faster sweeps/long range CC normals, so it's best to just do nothing and block for certain characters.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and what the hell happened to Gief players? It's like they all had a huge boost of confidence. I'm losing so often to them now, it's crazy. And it's mostly because they never stop going in. I'm just a big mess after the third correct read.

Edzi

Oh and what the hell happened to Gief players? It's like they all had a huge boost of confidence. I'm losing so often to them now, it's crazy. And it's mostly because they never stop going in. I'm just a big mess after the third correct read.

Gief got a lot better this season. All grapplers in this game (minus Alex) are scary now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Gief got a lot better this season. All grapplers in this game (minus Alex) are scary now.
Yeah but I feel like the stuff they are getting me with isn't even new. It's just that they have all the confidence in the world now to go for two headbutts and an air SPD now if they feel like it.

Sigmaah

Where can I go to find info about season 2 vega and just tips with him in general?

Not like patch notes but videos and tips and so on.

nded

I'm still convinced Necalli was supposed to be some kind of turn-to-fluid monster god like he's portrayed in all parts of the story he appears in. But maybe they couldn't make it work and they just threw in whatever. Divekick? Sure. Headbutt? Why not. Command grab? Of course. The list goes on.

He's kind of all over the place. He's also got orange peel skin and makes wooden creaking sounds.

Sigmaah

There's like 2 and a half Vega's left including yourself so.. better start making them videos :p

^I do play a lil urien myself lol

Lmao I don't think vega is bad at all but obviously has his issues. I gotta find better setups, what best blockstrings are and all of the other shit I've put off for a while lmao.

vulva

No one is talking about it but Chun Li is still insanely good in this game, easy top 10.

She's still really good, but she has some weird things to get used to. For her optimal bnbs it now depends if your opponent is crouching or standing as to what you do. Also since ehr vskill now builds v meter once airborne you have to decide whether to go for v bar, pure damage or regular bar off a stunned combo which can lead to you second guessing yourself a lot. She has some really great stuff but you have to completely rethink how you go about playing her.

The other problem is that so much of her basic gameplay has changed that you essentially need to re-learn the muscle memory with her as a whole. Her bnbs, anti airs, confirms, playstyle, offense, and all around optimal play are really different now. Because of that I've definitely taken a hit when it comes to playing, since I have to re-evaluate almost everything. I'd imagine most Chuns are dealing with similar issues, which isn't that surprising. Also tons of people dropped her, which also isn't that surprising.

HardRojo

All this while I've been worried about Necalli, but fucking Karin still got that stupid AA jab lol, I'm willing to say hers is even better than anyone else's. Karin is still good, she got the stupid st.LK and good range on her throw, why aren't more people sticking with her again?

All this while I've been worried about Necalli, but fucking Karin still got that stupid AA jab lol, I'm willing to say hers is even better than anyone else's. Karin is still good, she got the stupid st.LK and good range on her throw, why aren't more people sticking with her again?

Because people are fickle. Also no, her jab really isn't THAT great and it never was that terrific to begin with. Necalli's is still stupid and Juri/Dhalsim/Gief still have terrific jab AAs.

Also Urien and Balrog are "cheaper"

FluxWaveZ

All this while I've been worried about Necalli, but fucking Karin still got that stupid AA jab lol, I'm willing to say hers is even better than anyone else's.

Most certainly false. Juri's AA jab is absolutely insane and has to beat anyone else's in the Season 2 cast.

Another small accomplishment is the grand scheme of things but I wanted to try for the win 10 ranked matches mission today and I was able to pull it off, even ranking up in the process. Before I wouldn't even have tried it but now I feel more confident.

HardRojo

Most certainly false. Juri's AA jab is absolutely insane and has to beat anyone else's in the Season 2 cast.

I think I've never fought a Juri since S2 started since I wouldn't know, but from the Karins I've played against all it takes is an AA jab for them to get a free mix up.

Dahbomb

Top 10 is a given, what about top 5 though. I was thinking shes number 5 but after a few comments here...maybe shes top 6-8 instead lol
Top 5 type character is someone like Urien in this game.

Big HP, big damage, long normals and crazy comeback mechanic with mix ups/damage. He can play honest for most of the game and then play cheap when he's losing to steal games. He just FEELS like a top tier. In marginal games even his HP can help win games.

Similar to Balrog too but Balrog lacks a completely invincible reversal. I know people are going to be like "BUT NO ONE HAS A REVERSAL" but IMO just having the threat of a meter fully invincible reversal is a big deal in this game. Balrog can't escape some stuff that other characters can with the help of EX reversals. You still get a ton of meter in this game. But the character is still insane though.

Cammy is top 5 too. She has pretty much everything except I guess HP and throw loops. The HP thing does matter because characters like Balrog, Urien, Laura and Akuma can kill/stun you in an instant.

Guile and Laura are very strong too and probably top 5 but there are a few issues. Some match ups Guile has a lot of problems like against Balrog. Plus he's not cheap enough, doesn't have insane comeback potential with massive damage/mix ups. But when he's keeping you out he sure feels top tier as hell. Laura has the opposite problem of Guile. She doesn't have great neutral game but when she is in your face she feels top tier as hell. The HP buff is a big deal in this game as well, she can pay more to get in.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Her AA jab stayed the same and it's not great, it loses to all sorts of jump ins. It's very similar to Ryu's now, for example.

Oh and Akuma's AA jab is also really good. Definitely better than Karin's.

That's it! Damn, that is weirdly well hidden. Why would the blogpost now say a word about it?

Well, here are Vega's changes: http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/adjust2017/en/11.html

That's it! Damn, that is weirdly well hidden. Why would the blogpost not say a word about it?
y1nid.png

Village

Never give Makoto a fireball.

Its not so much the fireball ( though that is kind of annoying ) its the fact that he playstyle seems, a bit too limited. Guile Has two damn moves, well now 3. But guile had two moves, and i've seen more diverse Guile play than i've seen laura. Laura does one thing, and its not fun to fight and its boring to play. Makoto had more variety in her play than laura

Producer

Big HP, big damage, long normals and crazy comeback mechanic with mix ups/damage. He can play honest for most of the game and then play cheap when he's losing to steal games. He just FEELS like a top tier. In marginal games even his HP can help win games.

Similar to Balrog too but Balrog lacks a completely invincible reversal. I know people are going to be like "BUT NO ONE HAS A REVERSAL" but IMO just having the threat of a meter fully invincible reversal is a big deal in this game. Balrog can't escape some stuff that other characters can with the help of EX reversals. You still get a ton of meter in this game. But the character is still insane though.

Cammy is top 5 too. She has pretty much everything except I guess HP and throw loops. The HP thing does matter because characters like Balrog, Urien, Laura and Akuma can kill/stun you in an instant.

Yeah pretty spot on with Urien . And on the other hand Chun now has to work harder and her damage got nerfed. The stun nerf is also important, and all the stuff vulva mentioned is on point.

RK9039

Juri's AA jab kills Moonsault slash lmao, to be fair so does Alex's and Gief's. She definitely has the worst one though. All this time we were afraid of Chun li's light kick.

Guile and Laura are very strong too and probably top 5 but there are a few issues. Some match ups Guile has a lot of problems like against Balrog. Plus he's not cheap enough, doesn't have insane comeback potential with massive damage/mix ups. But when he's keeping you out he sure feels top tier as hell. Laura has the opposite problem of Guile. She doesn't have great neutral game but when she is in your face she feels top tier as hell. The HP buff is a big deal in this game as well, she can pay more to get in.
Upside down kick is pretty cheap tbh. So is s.bHP. Guyle is probably top 3 in the game more than Chun.

Do it

take off the training wheels like count did going from deejay to elena
I may not have a choice anymore because I've found myself not even caring when I win or lose. That last time I felt this way about a game was UMvC3 and I just dropped it cold turkey one day.
Nah I've had Ryu's still hit me while I'm behind him during a cross up for whatever reason. The hitbox is a damn umbrella
I didn't know since Ryu usage cratered in season 2.
LTTP, but having seen all my FM getting reduced to 0 FM(ca. 200k) in the post match screen was my eyepopping moment. Luckily nothing was lost.

Might be a small buff for Alex, but according to his framedata he can now punish all sweeps on block with cr.HP.
Interesting

I'll see if I can do anything with that cr.HP in training mode before I mess around with Necalli.
Karin has shit for AAs outside of her EX Ressenha. Let her hold that mediocre AA jab unless they plan to buff her crush counter cr.HP and st.HP. Most of the cast sorely needs buffs in the high damage AA department.

Don't forget Urien's st.HP crush counter. He just throws that out there constantly like it ain't no thing. Unlike crush counters like Alex's f.HP you can't even duck it, so some Uriens will just keep mashing it until you make a mistake. LPN was right about some CCs being too spam friendly.
Its not so much the fireball ( though that is kind of annoying ) its the fact that he playstyle seems, a bit too limited. Guile Has two damn moves, well now 3. But guile had two moves, and i've seen more diverse Guile play than i've seen laura. Laura does one thing, and its not fun to fight and its boring to play. Makoto had more variety in her play than laura
Yeah, Makoto was far more interesting to watch and fight (unless it is Alex vs Makoto in 3S in which case that can go to hell).
http://i.imgur.com/IXNzt23.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom