• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

SFV already had a weak fireball game (both fireballs themselves and projectile invincible or armor), S2 took out the shoryukens and made some moves even better at projectile avoidance.

It's just another move away from SF formula that Capcom thinks will help new players and make accessible. These changes make it boring imo. Invincibile moves and projectile footsies are SF DNA.

SFV already had a weak fireball game (both fireballs themselves and projectile invincible or armor), S2 took out the shoryukens and made some moves even better at projectile avoidance.

It's just another move away from SF formula that Capcom thinks will help new players and make accessible. These changes make it boring imo. Invincibile moves and projectile footsies are SF DNA.

What is SF3?

Welp, I finally got to Super Silver with FANG, after an onslaught of Laura, Akuma, and Urien players. I feel like my life goal is been achieved, even though I ended up getting it on a shit Ken player that didn't get the memo about DPs in season two. That's fine though, as I beat a Guile and a Karin who both rage quit on me a few matches before.

I worked hard for Lord Bison, so I'll take it.

I worked hard for Lord Bison, so I'll take it.
You deserve some rest.

bedtime_f_a_n_g_by_emlan-da1vb1t.png

I'm fucking tired of cats that don't play 3S parroting shit old heads that didn't like any game after ST said about it during SF4 streams.

At least 3S Akuma air fireball worked to zone and lock down compared to this caricature in SF5.

Honestly I only played 3S on a super casual level because I was busy playing Marvel 2 during that time. I regret doing so since I had a decent group of friends playing it at the time.

Not being mean - can you explain how the projectile system in 3S wasn't neutered by the parry system? Even people who liked the game were talking bad about the fireballs. I'm not just talking about Viscant's anti-SF3 post, I'm talking about old heads who loved the game but still didn't like certain parts.

I'm always up for learning other sides of things, tho.

Edit: As I understood it, unless you were up close parrying nullified the fireball game and spacing because it was pretty instantaneous. For Akuma, that might be different? But that was the complaint from tons of people for the longest.

Pompadour

Honestly I only played 3S on a super casual level because I was busy playing Marvel 2 during that time. I regret doing so since I had a decent group of friends playing it at the time.

Not being mean - can you explain how the projectile system in 3S wasn't neutered by the parry system? Even people who liked the game were talking bad about the fireballs. I'm not just talking about Viscant's anti-SF3 post, I'm talking about old heads who loved the game but still didn't like certain parts.

Edit: As I understood it, unless you were up close parrying nullified the fireball game and spacing because it was pretty instantaneous. For Akuma, that might be different? But that was the complaint from tons of people for the longest.

It did neuter the fireball game. You could literally jump a fireball and then air parry the opponent's anti-air which is bypassing perhaps the fundamental example of controlling space in Street Fighter.

Game was still fantastic, though.

Mr. X

Parry neutered everything. There was a priority system, throws beat parry beat super beat special beat hard etc.

Fireballs were bad at ranges you could react to them. Fireballs were there weakest in this game at the time even before considering parries looking at damage and frame data but you needed to apply them for 3S. Some were better than others or you needed to use EX fireball. A good Remy fireball game was hard to deal with until you got good at the game.

Oro, Akuma, Ken, Ryu, Remy had good fireball games. Parrying multihit fireballs or Akuma air fireball at the wrong time/distance got you thrown or mixed up (Dudley/Sean taunts come to mind here too). Chun, Urien had bad ones for sure, no question.

Watch coop cup.

It did neuter the fireball game. You could literally jump a fireball and then air parry the opponent's anti-air which is bypassing perhaps the fundamental example of controlling space in Street Fighter.

Game was still fantastic, though.

Oh no doubt. In fact I find all of the SF games fantastic for different reasons. SFV is the one I vibe with the most, but each game is so different there's something for everyone in that series.

The same could be said of many fighting games, but some take a little while to switch over (like Tekken, but then again they have more games full stop).

Parry neutered everything. There was a priority system, throws beat parry beat super beat special beat hard etc.

Fireballs were bad at ranges you could react to them. Fireballs were there weakest in this game at the time even before considering parries looking at damage and frame data but you needed to apply them for 3S. Some were better than others or you needed to use EX fireball. A good Remy fireball game was hard to deal with until you got good at the game.

Oro, Akuma, Ken, Ryu, Remy had good fireball games. Parrying multihit fireballs or Akuma air fireball at the wrong time/distance got you thrown or mixed up (Dudley/Sean taunts come to mind here too). Chun, Urien had bad ones for sure, no question.

Watch coop cup.

So then, fireballs aren't useful in a normal footies kinda way but for other options like mixups and shit? I watched coop cup, and it didn't seem like dudes were doing full screen or midscreen fireballs for that reason. In that case, would the application of the fireball be not traditional then? ST's zoning game is waaaay different than SF3 in that regard. SF4 had a pretty good footies game with fireballs though.

My point was more or less each game has different uses for fireballs in conjunction with their systems, and I don't disagree with you that SFV's fireballs aren't as powerful as SF4's, I feel like that's because they are pretty situational per character instead of being a more universal tool. Birdie uses his for setups, Laura for mixups, Akuma uses that shit for added damage in combos and building stun the farther you are on screen (and I think his air fireball is used for throw mixups and shit? I'll find the vid but there were some decent applications in that), etc.

Or at least that's how it all makes sense to me considering most characters aren't using their shit to play outright footies but use it for other things unlike previous entries.

Edit: That isn't to say you are wrong or right for hating the usage of fireballs. Just how I saw SFV using them compared to the rest of the series.

Mr. X

Oh no doubt. In fact I find all of the SF games fantastic for different reasons. SFV is the one I vibe with the most, but each game is so different there's something for everyone in that series.

The same could be said of many fighting games, but some take a little while to switch over (like Tekken, but then again they have more games full stop).

So then, fireballs aren't useful in a normal footies kinda way but for other options like mixups and shit? I watched coop cup, and it didn't seem like dudes were doing full screen or midscreen fireballs for that reason. In that case, would the application of the fireball be not traditional then? ST's zoning game is waaaay different than SF3 in that regard. SF4 had a pretty good footies game with fireballs though.

My point was more or less each game has different uses for fireballs in conjunction with their systems, and I don't disagree with you that SFV's fireballs aren't as powerful as SF4's, I feel like that's because they are pretty situational per character instead of being a more universal tool. Birdie uses his for setups, Laura for mixups, Akuma uses that shit for added damage in combos and building stun the farther you are on screen (and I think his air fireball is used for throw mixups and shit? I'll find the vid but there were some decent applications in that), etc.

Or at least that's how it all makes sense to me considering most characters aren't using their shit to play outright footies but use it for other things unlike previous entries.
Not that there isn't enough characters with fireballs in SFV, that there isn't enough threatening fireball characters. It feels like only Guile and Ibuki have a threatening fireball game because of all the armour or projectile invincible moves. Otherwise, everyone else you can kill or get in if you get 1 poor fireball, especially Chun/Sim/FANG.

Can someone help me with the fight money challenge to set off the missiles? My CFN is Notsmoking.

You don't have to play online....

go into Versus
Player 1 vs CPU
pick Shadowloo Base..
Whoever you choose as your CPU opponent just take them to the right side of the map and knock them down 3 times for each missile to fire...can be done in 2 rounds on CPU level 1...

You don't have to play online....

go into Versus
Player 1 vs CPU
pick Shadowloo Base..
Whoever you choose as your CPU opponent just take them to the right side of the map and knock them down 3 times for each missile to fire...can be done in 2 rounds on CPU level 1...

Oh that's awesome I didn't know that thank you.

Femto.

The maintenance update tomorrow better address the issue where the match doesn't connect with the server and doesn't give me my points.

Who am I kidding?

Moaradin

All this while I've been worried about Necalli, but fucking Karin still got that stupid AA jab lol, I'm willing to say hers is even better than anyone else's. Karin is still good, she got the stupid st.LK and good range on her throw, why aren't more people sticking with her again?

Karin's AA jab has never been very good

Played some mika again last night and did a lot better. She may have been hit hard with the nerf bat but she is still super fun. When you get v trigger and 1 or 2 bars up she has amazing comeback potential. The comboes are so much fun to do as well.

Morris

Disco Devil
I'm getting real tired of FM farmers in casual, I started ragequitting on them at the vs screen, I hope I don't lose any points for that.

Is there any way to block them or better yet, report their bum ass to capcom?

I'm getting real tired of FM farmers in casual, I started ragequitting on them at the vs screen, I hope I don't lose any points for that.

Is there any way to block them or better yet, report their bum ass to capcom?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. Started doing the same because I kept getting matched with the same idler in casual and ended up getting docked 1000LP and banned for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom