• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

① Increased recovery 15F⇒18F

② Reduced damage 90⇒80

Oh, even easier to punish then. I don't find Vegas as often anymore, but their freaking random slides were what kept me grounded for most of the match, even refraining from dashing and poking in neutral.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Vega's slide is one of those moves in this game where I can't seem to press a button afterwards, regardless of the frames. Kind of like Rashid's spinning mixer, you know they're minus, but they can press buttons afterwards and win.

I think I've might've faced one or two S2 Vegas, so I don't know how much easier it is to punish now.
Never had that problem with Vega's slide. Dhalsim's slide on the other hand...

"The Holiday DLC bundle is no longer on sale starting today."

There's your news.

No news about S2 characters
Tekken has said fuck all about the release date
GGxrd2 is coming to arcades in spring but no console release date
Gundam Versus doesn't have a set date and has like two gameplay videos
No VF news
No MVCI news
Injustice 2 got a cinematic trailer, which is nice, but not a straight character reveal
No SC6 news besides teases (and probably won't be until fucking T7 drops)

Why are fighting games doing this to me?

It hurts.

No news about S2 characters
Tekken has said fuck all about the release date
GGxrd2 is coming to arcades in spring but no console release date
Gundam Versus doesn't have a set date and has like two gameplay videos
No VF news
No MVCI news
Injustice 2 got a cinematic trailer, which is nice, but not a straight character reveal
No SC6 news besides teases (and probably won't be until fucking T7 drops)

Why are fighting games doing this to me?

It hurts.

no hype for the New KI characters?

Ucchedavāda;228534628 said:
I think Necalli is a pretty good design as well...

Not so keen. In V-Trigger he looks alright I guess cause the hair is a distraction, but his default form just looks like lame edgy Aztec to me.

ElFly

I don't like Necalli's design. Colorwise he is p simple and not too readable. he improves in V-Trigger but not much

Samurai costume is better tho it doesn't fit with how he moves tho

That pressure around 16 minutes in god damn.

Mr. Harada, will Tekken release in early 2017?
Harada: https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/821264854723899392

"Secret weapon" better mean a fucking release date today.

no hype for the New KI characters?

Aw shit I don't play KI enough but that new robot dude looks fun. Are there more coming?

But what about my exp, FM and replay? You get two(?) RQs a day(?) for free anyways so if you keep quitting bunch of times you should get hit by the penalty. No matter if it is ranked, casual or battle lounge.

I guess that makes sense but punishing casuals by them losing lp is odd.

I personally had never RQ but it only ever bothered me when it happened in ranked matches. Sure you lose out on exp and fm but you get so little i guess i never cared.

The V-League.pro developers have added a plot showing the distribution of players by league:
https://v-league.pro/stats/players-by-league

An interesting observation is that there are many more Super Silver players than Silver players, despite Super Silver being half the range of LPs compared to Silver (2,000 - 2,999 vs 3,000 - 3,499). It is also surprising that there are fewer Ultra Silver than Gold players, and fewer Ultra Gold than Platinum players.

I suspect that part of the explanation is that people tend to stop playing ranked once they've reached a new league, and that the amount of LPs won and lost is strongly determined by your and your opponent's league. For example, as a Silver, you lose more points to an Ultra Bronze than you would to another Silver, even if the difference between your LPs is insignificant. That Super Silvers are much less likely to be matched up against Bronze players of any kind would further amplify this difference.

ElFly

I assume the Super Silver are the lot of people who can beat Ultra Bronze consistently, and stop being propped up once the easy Ultra Bronze fights are cut off from them due to being a whole League of difference in between

of course the same can be said of any league level but I guess the Bronze levels are way more populated so Super Silver is where this effect is stronger

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how many of those lower ranked accounts are dead. Like, an activity table would probably have a big bar at Platinum for example, just because those are very active players.

ElFly

I wonder how many of those lower ranked accounts are dead. Like, an activity table would probably have a big bar at Platinum for example, just because those are very active players.

well it has ~570k players total so some dead accounts have to have been culled

mbpm1

What are the properties on Juri's v-skill? Projectile invincible cross-up and punishable? Are there different charge levels?

Standard: Crosses up, no projectile invincibility
Charged: Projectile invincible from frame 6, hits in front first and then behind, juggles in combos

There are plenty of inactive accounts across the bored. For example i remember looking through some gold accounts towards the end of last year and noticed a lot of golds that got there in about 2-4 weeks then quit the game. I presume a fair few took advantage of the zero rage quit penalty, RQd to gold for the achievement then stopped.

I would be really interested to see what changed to rank positions if it temporarily removed you if you hadn't played in 6 weeks or something. As it stands your rank number means very little due to all the inactive players.

well it has ~570k players total so some dead accounts have to have been culled

I believe everyone with 0lp is not included and has that same rank number (570k ish).

Mœbius

You know, it's the little things about this game that I find disappointing and that expose the lack of attention to detail or forethought the makers had (or didn't as the case may be) - things like having the image when you highlight 'Battle Settings' being a default single image rather than having it actually show an overview of your current favourite character selection.

Why?

It's such a small, easy, trivial thing and by itself it's easy to dismiss as pointless and lower priority than "getting the gameplay right", that ever so easy get out clause, but FFS these things add up. It would feel so much more dynamic and alive and breathe life into the game and community if they had a real vision with the UI and the UX and actually used CFN in a meaningful way to learn and interact with the community (highlight videos, players, upcoming Pro Tour events etc.). I just can't.

Silly rant over. I actually really enjoy SFV... maybe that's the problem - I still bought it and enjoy it, so they can continue to overlook these little details and put out what they have (and fail to update it).

Mœbius;228550642 said:
You know, it's the little things about this game that I find disappointing and that expose the lack of attention to detail or forethought the makers had (or didn't as the case may be) - things like having the image when you highlight 'Battle Settings' being a default single image rather than having it actually show an overview of your current favourite character selection.

Why?

It's such a small, easy, trivial thing and by itself it's easy to dismiss as pointless and lower priority than "getting the gameplay right", that ever so easy get out clause, but FFS these things add up. It would feel so much more dynamic and alive and breathe life into the game and community if they had a real vision with the UI and the UX and actually used CFN in a meaningful way to learn (highlight videos, players, upcoming Pro Tour events etc.). I just can't.

Silly rant over. I actually really enjoy SFV... maybe that's the problem - I still bought it and enjoy it, so they can continue to overlook these little details and put out what they have (and fail to update it).

It's not a silly rant. In fact, people need to keep leveling their complaints towards Capcom. That's how shit gets changed. Capcom moves at glacial speeds but the QoL stuff slowly trickles in.

Gotta keep pelting them on Twitter and Facebook with the criticisms because we actually enjoy the game and want it to get better. Nothing wrong with that.

Mœbius

It's not a silly rant. In fact, people need to keep leveling their complaints towards Capcom. That's how shit gets changed. Capcom moves at glacial speeds but the QoL stuff slowly trickles in.

Gotta keep pelting them on Twitter and Facebook with the criticisms because we actually enjoy the game and want it to get better. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks. I wish there was an effective (and more concise) way to get these QoL issues across aside from on Twitter where I imagine most of the comments Haunts, Combofiend and the rest get are just bile and instantly ignored.

Mœbius;228550642 said:

There are some nice touches, such as the world map showing you active players (pointless but neat, IMO), but overall the UI just suffers from a bad case of "good enough". If I had to boil it down to one sentence, I'd say that the UI feels like it was designed by programmers.

Ucchedavāda;228551374 said:
There are some nice touches, such as the world map showing you active players (pointless but neat, IMO), but overall the UI just suffers from a bad case of "good enough". If I had to boil it down to one sentence, I'd say that the UI feels like it was designed by programmers.
UI feels like placeholder UI that was shipped.. Also it's terrible you have to confirm changes on battle settings, because if you change the settings and leave they don't get saved. Just screams rushed...

I don't mind the minimalist UI so much as the missing things like being able to see the color placements, saving changes, etc. I can quickly get in a match or to whatever I want comparatively, but there are some things that need to be squared away/faster.

Mœbius;228551140 said:
Thanks. I wish there was an effective (and more concise) way to get these QoL issues across aside from on Twitter where I imagine most of the comments Haunts, Combofiend and the rest get are just bile and instantly ignored.

I think as long as it doesn't look like shitposting they'll read it. All developers shift through the good and bad and get used to it. So keep going!

I still nag them for Extra Battle. Get at Haunts (Combofiend is the exec producer for Marvel now - which makes me think they appointed someone else for SFV and will announce that later, wish it was Mike Ross), their Capcom Twitter, and maybe the wbacon guy if he shows up.

What makes you say that? Every resource I've seen attributes the entire line to Mika, not just the second half.

Did one of the VAs confirm otherwise?
The voice line is by nadeshiko's va, and the japanese line can be translated to both I'll and we'll kick your ass.
It got botched in the dub.

ElFly

And yeah, translation is weird for this game, but some of the localized lines FAR outshine their original counterparts (i.e. Alex's "Okay, let's rumble" and Mika's "I'LL KICK YER ASS"). They've just got so much personality.

And tbh, I'm very partial to the fan-translates version of Laura's intro quote: "It starts with a beat and ends with a bang!" Too bad it doesn't match the lip flaps though.

maybe we can split in the middle and get Mika to say "Ass! that's how you start the match and finish it quickly!"

maybe we can split in the middle and get Mika to say "Ass! that's how you start the match and finish it quickly!"

JSBTl.gif

I'm not blaming programmers.
I just have used too many UIs designed by people whose's primary skill was writing code, rather than doing UX design, including my own UIs, and this is what SFV feels like. That it was actually made by somebody whose job is do UI design is amusing.

mooncakes

Seems like the Director of SF 5 used to be mostly a UI designers before he started working on SF 5 according to his resume.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/takayuki-nakayama/credits/developerId,40699/

Maybe his lack of experience in making fighting games is showing in SF 5 and its problems like the no player 2 rematch options

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ucchedavāda;228547110 said:
The V-League.pro developers have added a plot showing the distribution of players by league:
https://v-league.pro/stats/players-by-league

An interesting observation is that there are many more Super Silver players than Silver players, despite Super Silver being half the range of LPs compared to Silver (2,000 - 2,999 vs 3,000 - 3,499). It is also surprising that there are fewer Ultra Silver than Gold players, and fewer Ultra Gold than Platinum players.

I suspect that part of the explanation is that people tend to stop playing ranked once they've reached a new league, and that the amount of LPs won and lost is strongly determined by your and your opponent's league. For example, as a Silver, you lose more points to an Ultra Bronze than you would to another Silver, even if the difference between your LPs is insignificant. That Super Silvers are much less likely to be matched up against Bronze players of any kind would further amplify this difference.

Thanks for posting this. I was just looking at the previous version of this graph a day or two ago and it was very different. The number of Gold players was higher than all Silver and Bronze combined and I thought "This cannot be true." The current graph makes a lot more sense.

Though it doesn't explain why I fight way more Silvers than Ultra Silvers in matchmaking.

ElFly

Seems like the Director of SF 5 used to be mostly a UI designers before he started working on SF 5 according to his resume.

Maybe his lack of experience in making fighting games is showing in SF 5 and its problems like the no player 2 rematch options

would not surprise me cause SFV excels only on the very gameplay itself

stuff like story mode being single round is super baffling

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If his previous experience is affecting his current job performance, then wouldn't you expect the UI to one of the stronger aspects of the game and the gameplay to be weaker? And I think the player 2 rematch option falls under the umbrella of UI issues.

Thanks for posting this. I was just looking at the previous version of this graph a day or two ago and it was very different. The number of Gold players was higher than all Silver and Bronze combined and I thought "This cannot be true." The current graph makes a lot more sense.

No problem. The graph was updated just today to include all players. Before that it only included the top 20,000 players, as well as everyone that had signed up on the website, which of course greatly distorted the results.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ucchedavāda;228557446 said:
No problem. The graph was updated just today to include all players. Before that it only included the top 20,000 players, as well as everyone that had signed up on the website, which of course greatly distorted the results.
I figured sampling bias was in effect in a major way. I didn't notice that it was only the top 20,000 players. If that were the case I wouldn't expect to see Silvers and Bronzes at all. Maybe I saw a bugged version of the graph.

I figured sampling bias was in effect in a major way. I didn't notice that it was only the top 20,000 players. If that were the case I wouldn't expect to see Silvers and Bronzes at all. Maybe I saw a bugged version of the graph.

No, it wasn't bugged, it was just showing you the top 20,000 accounts plus people who signed up on the website.

LakeEarth

If you mean "before the first hit", I'm pretty sure Urien is completely vulnerable during EX tackle start-up.

If you mean "between the first and second hit", I'm pretty sure it's a true block string. I've never seen anyone SRK/super through it.

WSO dudes seemed to imply there'd be a blogpost/update next week on the stream, at least that's what one of my friends heard.

Goddamnit.

If you mean "before the first hit", I'm pretty sure Urien is completely vulnerable during EX tackle start-up.

If you mean "between the first and second hit", I'm pretty sure it's a true block string. I've never seen anyone SRK/super through it.

Oops, I meant startup.

Depends on throw range. You need to be actively looking out for it, and your reactions need to be on point. I've been putting in some time to learn to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPU-vGVVM7Q

You definitely need to be scouting a Urien with at least one bar who has that charge and is wanting to use it, though.

I was smashing grab as Akuma and caught a dude so I thought it was a glitch. Guess not.

lulll art.

Edzi

WSO dudes seemed to imply there'd be a blogpost/update next week on the stream, at least that's what one of my friends heard.

Goddamnit.

Oops, I meant startup.

I was smashing grab as Akuma and caught a dude so I thought it was a glitch. Guess not.

lulll art.

They said not this week but soon, and that they've got a lot in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom