• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything out there on how to beat Balrog? Feels like good ones can just do whatever they want. Kinda pisses me off how he is so out of range after you block one of his specials.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Rage quitting icons reinstated?
Haven't seen any. I had one of the worst connections EVER just now, though. The game ran at like 1fps. Never seen that before.

edit: 40006 is back, too. But maybe it's because the servers weren't officially up yet.

mbpm1

Is there anything out there on how to beat Balrog? Feels like good ones can just do whatever they want. Kinda pisses me off how he is so out of range after you block one of his specials.

When fighting shackzam from gaf i found a decent idea was to be play around the range of his lp dash punch. Be inside it so on block its closer and you can maybe do a 3 frame punish on it. Or be outside of it so you can whiff punish.

Then you have to fight his buttons, but at least that's possible to fight instead of getting dash punched all day.

if you don't have a 3 framer or can't maintain space against the Rog RIP YOU THOUGH LUL

MrCarter

They still haven't announced the full line-up for CPT 2017 so I assume we will be finding out about this very soon. Excited to see the first new character too, hurry up Capcom.

Yeah, but only poorly spaced ones, that's my problem lol

I guess the answer is basically to stay outside the optimal range of dash-punches, on either side, since being closer allows you to punish on block, if Rog actually tries a dash-punch at that range, and being farther should allow you to react by neutral jumping to punish full-screen dashes. You might also want to see if any of your normals can be used to stuff them. I ran into one Ryu who used stLK (IIRC) to consistently stuff my dash punches. Who do you play?

I have FM for four characters, lets do it.

Well, I hope that you are ready for four all new characters: E
mo
Ryu, V
iolet
Ken, O
iled
Sagat, and M
oe
Bison.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ucchedavāda;228569318 said:
I guess the answer is basically to stay outside the optimal range of dash-punches, on either side, since being closer allows you to punish on block, if Rog actually tries a dash-punch at that range, and being farther should allow you to react by neutral jumping to punish full-screen dashes. You might also want to see if any of your normals can be used to stuff them. I ran into one Ryu who used stLK (IIRC) to consistently stuff my dash punches. Who do you play?.
Karin. But all this advice is useless when he has meter and you can't react to the EX versions and the low hitting ones are even safe on block. Like, it feels like a total gamble when to block, when to jump and so on. And we haven't even mentioned the safe TAP and the super hard to see overhead...

Ok, I'm done whining lol

Edzi

Karin. But all this advice is useless when he has meter and you can't react to the EX versions and the low hitting ones are even safe on block. Like, it feels like a total gamble when to block, when to jump and so on. And we haven't even mentioned the safe TAP and the super hard to see overhead...

Ok, I'm done whining lol

I don't actually understand the logic behind the EX low rush. Why is it both crazy fast AND safe? Shouldn't it be one or the other? I kinda have the same issue with Urien's EX tackle, but it's at least not a low and I think that's a bit easier to react to (for pros, I'm assuming, since I can't react to it at all) than Rog's.

All chars got safe ex moves and here I am negative af from mine.

like why is ex roll -2 lmao.

WHYYYYYY SON WHYYYYYYY
That is safe, and it's a move that's projectile invincible.

EDIT: There are more EX moves that are -2 oB. FANG's EX sleeves, Birdie's EX bullhead, Alex's EX Flash Chop, Balrog's EX Dash low, Chun-Li's EX Legs, Necalli's EX Stomp and others too.

mbpm1

Ok, I'm done whining lol

yeah, but that's always been rog with ex meter.

Both tap and the overhead are seeable too at least.

mbpm1

I keep missing my grabs as Alex is there anyway to tell when it's safe to grab someone?

You might be too far away

if you're not though, people can just jump or backdash away from your grabs and you won't know when they'll do that so you have to predict when they'll sit still.

This is also assuming you're not trying to grab at bad times, like when your opponent has frame advantage.

I keep missing my grabs as Alex is there anyway to tell when it's safe to grab someone?

you mean like command grabs or throws? im not quite sure what you mean by missing.

Theres a lot of "safe" command grabs. You can do it off of f.HP, cr.LK, j.MP, cr.LP, can land one off of a successful flash chop or H. Flash chop. We should play sometime, its easier to show than to tell.

you mean like command grabs or throws? im not quite sure what you mean by missing.

Theres a lot of "safe" command grabs. You can do it off of f.HP, cr.LK, j.MP, cr.LP, can land one off of a successful flash chop or H. Flash chop. We should play sometime, its easier to show than to tell.

I try to command grab them when they are getting up from me knocking them down sometimes it works but most of the time I miss. I'd be down for that I'm free after today all this week.

I try to command grab them when they are getting up from me knocking them down sometimes it works but most of the time I miss. I'd be down for that I'm free after today all this week.

You need to condition your opponent first, if they have no reason to block on wakeup, they have no reason not to backdash/jump out either.

A single blocked standing jab at point black range has enough pushback to make it a micro step necessary for regular throws, but all different strength powerbombs work as tick throws in that situation. The same usually applies after a blocked f.HP at point blank range. If you are looking for tick throws (normal or command) never try to do it off two hit block strings because his normal and command grab ranges are terrible. The very end of his fingertips (during normal grabs) literally whiffs through the back of Urien's bicep and entirely through Cammy even at near point blank range (his entire forearm will literally whiff through her head).

When in doubt you should fall back on mp power bomb for max damage until you get better at judging distance.

ProblemX (a good s1 Alex player from the UK) had some advice today for S2 Alex mains: Don't play Alex.

I'm still gonna do it tho

Damn... that's all folks.

I'm feeling like Alex is a big fuck you from the team to all the people who kept asking for him to be in all SF4 interations and whatnot because they hate him.

Now no one will want him in future titles. Mission accomplished.

Sigmaah

might as well not be projectile invincible anymore ex roll should be +3 on block for how bad it is right now

Basically this.

Slow af now to catch fireballs unless up close and literally guess that they're gonna throw a fireball.

Also if I gotta block after my ex move it ain't safe in my book.

ProblemX (a good s1 Alex player from the UK) had some advice today for S2 Alex mains: Don't play Alex.

I'm still gonna do it tho

This good advice but Alex is fun....i like to QQ Alex sucks. that feeling of beating player better than me, using Urien/Balrog/Laura......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom