• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

Soooo...has anyone noticed any improvements or changes after the maintenance? The embarassing 40006 is still here in full force.

Rarely does maintenance ever solve any long standing issues. I'm sure it's there just to keep the servers running, not make them run better.

How was online play / matchmaking somehow gotten worse in the last month or two when I first started playing? I didn't have issues at first, now its more often bad than good. I got so many laggy, stuttering mess matchups the other night (although I won more than I lost, so thanks Cacpcom?)

Pompadour

How was online play / matchmaking somehow gotten worse in the last month or two when I first started playing? I didn't have issues at first, now its more often bad than good. I got so many laggy, stuttering mess matchups the other night (although I won more than I lost, so thanks Cacpcom?)

I think what Capcom does is, every so often, adjusts the matchmaking parameters. They're basically juggling "time before opponent is found", "finding opponent close to player's skill level", and "opponent with a good connection." For instance, they can probably match you up with a person in 3 seconds but they're more likely to be multiple leagues above or below you and maybe thousands of miles away.

Mr. X

Only thing I noticed is if you're not online during Survival when it ends, it'll ask if you want to log in to get the rewards. That was new to me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah whoever said to punish Balrog's rush punches...that's pretty much impossible unless he does them way too closely to you. Karin's st.lk is probably one of the furthest reaching 4 frame moves in the game and it's pretty bad. Atleast you get some offense going afterwards, I guess.

I think what Capcom does is, every so often, adjusts the matchmaking parameters. They're basically juggling "time before opponent is found", "finding opponent close to player's skill level", and "opponent with a good connection." For instance, they can probably match you up with a person in 3 seconds but they're more likely to be multiple leagues above or below you and maybe thousands of miles away.
That's exactly what it feels like and it was pretty apparent around christmas.

LakeEarth

Only thing I noticed is if you're not online during Survival when it ends, it'll ask if you want to log in to get the rewards. That was new to me.

That's neat.

I haven't touched Survival since I beat Hard with Urien, and didn't receive the fight money. No error messages, was online the whole time, log clearly shows that I unlocked the colours for it. But no FM. Fucking annoying as shit.

vulva

does this really surprise you tho.. really

lol
I was only really surprised since it doesn't seem to be happening with anyone else. I couldn't get in but it seems like everyone else was logging in just fine. Kind of odd.
You may have already mentioned this, but what are your feelings on S2 Chun? I don't like how they changed her BnBs.

I think Chun's totally fine as a character, and even really strong. That said this is a super hard transition going in to S2 with her.

She has different bnbs, different offensive pressure, different defensive options, different meter management concerns, different punishes... basically at an advanced level you need to unlearn all your muscle memory from her and then re-learn it. I realize in the majority of ways she's still the same, but for nuanced play she's totally different. Because of this it's kind of hard to keep up since you need to completely change how you approach most situations while other characters' buffs/nerfs mostly just leave them in the same position as before just with either better or worse damage (obviously there are exceptions, like ken's ex tatsu etc).

So I do think Chun's still a fantastic character and really strong, but I'm really struggling at completely changing how I play her. I've honestly been playing her like S1 Chun without any of the good stuff from S1 since I haven't put in much practice, but S1 Chun stuff mostly doesn't exist in the game now so I leave tons of damage on the table. I'm still not doing ex legs v trigger confirms, proper crush counter punishes in the mid screen, etc etc.

People are going to be surprised by how Urien will need to be played to win tournaments. I think are going to expect rushdown, mixups like Nemo but it's going to be lame footsie Urien that wins tournaments.

It's great he turned out to be so fluid honestly.

This is true. I find when playing better players I win more consistently by good spacing on my normals. Random shoulders, knees and headbutts almost always get punished, and when I start my Aegis shenanigans most know how to deal with it.

This is true. I find when playing better players I win more consistently by good spacing on my normals. Random shoulders, knees and headbutts almost always get punished, and when I start my Aegis shenanigans most know how to deal with it.
Capcom going to be disappointed with the lack of hype so they'll give him unblockable aegis setups in season 3...

Holy Shit, I knew that the new MKXL netcode was legit but it wasn't until I actually played it that I started to appreciate just how good it is.

Like seriously, this is at least the same level as Killer Instinct. This is filling me up with so much hope for Injustice 2.

Hyun Sai

Holy Shit, I knew that the new MKXL netcode was legit but it wasn't until I actually played it that I started to appreciate just how good it is.

Like seriously, this is at least the same level as Killer Instinct. This is filling me up with so much hope for Injustice 2.

Is that GGPO based or delay based ?

When do they announce the next character(Ingrid)?
do-not-want.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of weird how so many games have rollback based netcode, but non of them use GGPO. They must ask for too much money or something.

FluxWaveZ

I randomly picked Guile vs. Yomi's Laura in yesterday's local because my Mika wasn't going anywhere, and I was informed after my match that the MU is apparently 5/5 or even in Laura's advantage now, mainly because of her EX command grab which alters the entire dynamic of the match. I can see that, and it's pretty nuts.

I was checking the Shoryuken Laura forums yesterday and it's pretty funny how many excuses Laura mains are making as to why she's not top tier, or why people shouldn't complain about facing her. Visions of Mika S1 mains, but I personally think S2 Laura is stronger than S1 Mika ever was.

Alex did the command grab too early, Ryu woke up with a wake up V-Skill, Ryu recovered first, punished.

I randomly picked Guile vs. Yomi's Laura in yesterday's local because my Mika wasn't going anywhere, and I was informed after my match that the MU is apparently 5/5 or even in Laura's advantage now, mainly because of her EX command grab which alters the entire dynamic of the match. I can see that, and it's pretty nuts.

I was checking the Shoryuken Laura forums yesterday and it's pretty funny how many excuses Laura mains are making as to why she's not top tier, or why people shouldn't complain about facing her. Visions of Mika S1 mains, but I personally think S2 Laura is stronger than S1 Mika ever was.

Alex did the command grab too early, Ryu woke up with a wake up V-Skill, Ryu recovered first, punished.

Stronger, but less bullshit.

I'm surprised none of the top players are switching to her though. For all the Laura jerking off, I don't see many people making the jump to the bonita side.

Pretty much everyone universally agreed that Mika was incredibly strong but there were still like 3 top tier pro players that played Mika in S1.

If anything, I'm expecting more Uriens this season.

Edzi

I disagree, she has the same (or more) bullshit, but she also doesn't rely on it, because she is strong in other areas. Mika was about the corner and the clap, while Laura is about so much else.

I kind of agree with you, she can get you in a similar feeling vortex situation with her buttons, but she can do that from anywhere on screen on top of having a really good whiff punishing neutral and a multihit slow moving fireball.

This is coming from a FANG player to be fair, but I've always felt infinitely more scared of a Laura that's close to me than I ever did with a Mika in the same situation. I only felt scared of Mika's mixup when she got me in the corner and if I got there especially in this season then that's on me.

Mika was still a grappler and had to play by those rules so she had a legitimately tough time against zoners if the zoning was on point. That is really not a problem for Laura which is kinda..... wrong for a character that's designed to be a vortex character.

This is coming from a FANG player to be fair, but I've always felt infinitely more scared of a Laura that's close to me than I ever did with a Mika in the same situation. I only felt scared of Mika's mixup when she got me in the corner and if I got there especially in this season then that's on me.

Mika was still a grappler and had to play by those rules so she had a legitimately tough time against zoners if the zoning was on point. That is really not a problem for Laura which is kinda..... wrong for a character that's designed to be a vortex character.

I've repeatedly said this during S1 OTs, guess clap had people too salty to notice laura.

Whales

Banned
make laura's vtrgger deplete when she uses her fireball

there, shes a lot less annoying because her V-trigger doesnt last ages

Whales

Banned
Replace "Laura" with Chun and "fireball" with normals and this would pass for a statement from a previous OT.

I mean, I seriously don't understand who at capcom balanced those Vtriggers

akuma uses a single DP in his vtrigger and loses like 50% of the bar but laura can keep doing that bullshit ex fireball cancel into more dumb shit over and over again no problem

mbpm1

I mean, I seriously don't understand who at capcom balanced those Vtriggers

akuma uses a single DP in his vtrigger and loses like 50% of the bar but laura can keep doing that bullshit ex fireball cancel into more dumb shit over and over again no problem

I mean, his dp is invincible without meter in vt and has a lot of i frames and does 200 damage and starts up in 3 frames.

That's pretty good in this game.

Would not be opposed if they made his v-trigger last longer though at least for fireballs (let me zone Lul)

FluxWaveZ

I kind of agree with you, she can get you in a similar feeling vortex situation with her buttons, but she can do that from anywhere on screen on top of having a really good whiff punishing neutral and a multihit slow moving fireball.

I was talking about that with others in the past two weeks at locals, underlining reasons why Laura clearly outperforms Mika in S2:

1. Laura has 1k health, Mika has 950. A lot of people don't think about this, but it is extremely important. She is a mobile grappler with that kind of health, allowing her to take more risks.

2. Laura has an overhead, and an actually good one based on set-ups. It can also combo in V-Trigger. She's a mobile grappler with a good overhead. That is incredible for the dimensions of her mix-up game.

3. She has a fireball. Not a great one, but one nonetheless that can be lethal for close-range mixups, mainly concerning the EX.

4. She has a better V-Trigger. It creates a mix-up situation regardless of her place on the screen (the main use of Nadeshiko, except that is mainly reserved to the corner now), but it boosts her damage, speed and makes her incredibly scary for an actual period of time.

5. She has better footsie tools. She actually has plus buttons as pokes, and she has good, quick long-range pokes ala cr.HK and st.HK. Pokes as a whole are generally better.

6. She has better ways to circumvent the standard fireball game. the EX elbow and the EX command grab are great, while EX Peach is slow enough that it needs to be used as a harder read. Was talking to Luffy about this, and he agrees that it's not the go-to tool to counter a Guile Sonic Boom in mid-range, because it's just too risky.

7. She doesn't rely on the corner to do her stuff. Now more than ever, Mika needs to bring the opponent to the corner if she wants to get going.

I guess this is why everyone at locals tells me I should switch to Laura. I think Laura was deemed the "shitty version of Mika" in S1, but the tides have turned. Except, even in Season 1, I was saying that people were glossing over Laura because of the bright, shining beacon that was Mika.

Again, it'll be interesting to see how people feel moving forward.

Zackat

I've been maining Laura since s1. The DP change and giving her an empty jump low combo was pretty sweet. Her neutral jump is even scarier than s1. When I read people's jumps and hit them with her awesome AA they get completely shook.

That isn't even getting into vtrigger.

BOOOOM

No idea, didn't realize I wasn't logged in until that moment.

It looks like it doesn't kick you out of survival if you lose your connection. I tried to turn off my ethernet device, and I just got a popup that the connection to the server had been lost.

EDIT: And then you get asked to login once you beat it.

Ucchedavāda;228629144 said:
It looks like it doesn't kick you out of survival if you lose your connection. I tried to turn off my ethernet device, and I just got a popup that the connection to the server had been lost.

EDIT: And then you get asked to login once you beat it.
Holy shit, is progress actually being made?

CPT details next week. Capcom heard my bitching.

Edit: if the above is true lmaaaoooo Capcom will fix shit and not tell anyone is typical of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom