• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to get ten wins in ranked for the 5k fight money pretty happy about that since last time I had the game I couldn't win a single match.

lmao is he claiming that Urien is broken because he can beat people with him?

Tell him to go to EVO with that Urien instead and prove us all wrong with some braindead gameplay.

The hell is this.

A bronze Urien who claims that the game is garbage because their character is "cheap". They threw down the gauntlet when other people questioned that claim, but at this point I expect that exactly nothing will come of this, and that this person will simply find an excuse to dodge.

rec0ded1

MrCarter

I want to start playing fang. I play urien but now that hes so popular I just hate it.

So you thought you'd go the opposite side of the spectrum? lol. Jokes aside, most of the characters are viable if you put in the work but maybe go for a mid-tier character to avoid disappointment.

Kashiwaba

Man this game online is becoming unplayable, i got 4 connection with opponent lost in row and i don't think it's RQ since they are winning in some of the games.

I randomly picked Guile vs. Yomi's Laura in yesterday's local because my Mika wasn't going anywhere, and I was informed after my match that the MU is apparently 5/5 or even in Laura's advantage now, mainly because of her EX command grab which alters the entire dynamic of the match. I can see that, and it's pretty nuts.

I was checking the Shoryuken Laura forums yesterday and it's pretty funny how many excuses Laura mains are making as to why she's not top tier, or why people shouldn't complain about facing her. Visions of Mika S1 mains, but I personally think S2 Laura is stronger than S1 Mika ever was.
You can't expect to pick your side character and assume that the other player doesn't know or hasn't grinded the MU with his main lol. LordJB on the mic said he's played that MU a lot with Yomi and he knows it well. 6-4 or 5-5, you shouldn't expect it to be an auto win because it might be a bad MU. I said this in a post before, but her ex command throw was mostly used as a hail mary before. Now it actually has a use. A very good one at that, but without it, yea the Guile MU would be a lot worse. Her ex elbow didn't do shit against V-Skill booms lol.

Everyone undermines their main. Everyone. Some S1 Chun players thought she wasn't the best character in the game, S1 Necalli players thought he wasn't in the top 10, S2 Guile players thinking he's not top 3 and S1 Mika players thinking she wasn't stupid and thought she was totally fair. So going on SRK and seeing more people undermine their character is a given.

Ofc from your point of view S2 Laura > S1 Mika, because you were the one dealing the pain and not receiving it lmao. S1 Mika could instantly win off of a random button in neutral, we both agreed that you've won tons of matches just off of a random clap in neutral into the game snowballing downhill for the opponent in 50/50's over and over to death. The opponent finally gets their turn.. jokes V-Reversal back into 50/50's. Get command grabbed into more 50/50's.

I think it was Phenom was talking about a conversation he had with Du and Du didn't know why people couldn't block the fwd.HP -> cr.MP - 50/50 cross behind or stay in front until he tried to block it and realized he couldn't react or block it either lol. At least her corner game is still intact, you just have to work to get them there instead of a get into the corner free button.

https://twitter.com/801_Gustavo/status/819406214597459968 801_Strider put it best imo, and he mained Mika in S1 (well near the end of S1). I can't think of a better grappler in the SF series than S1 Mika. Abel was never top 5 in any SF game. Hugo/Alex sucked in 3s. Gief/Hawk weren't top tier in ST. Laura's comeback potential and burst damage were always better than Mika but Mika's tools were a lot better.

I was talking about that with others in the past two weeks at locals, underlining reasons why Laura clearly outperforms Mika in S2:

1. Laura has 1k health, Mika has 950. A lot of people don't think about this, but it is extremely important. She is a mobile grappler with that kind of health, allowing her to take more risks.

2. Laura has an overhead, and an actually good one based on set-ups. It can also combo in V-Trigger. She's a mobile grappler with a good overhead. That is incredible for the dimensions of her mix-up game.

3. She has a fireball. Not a great one, but one nonetheless that can be lethal for close-range mixups, mainly concerning the EX.

4. She has a better V-Trigger. It creates a mix-up situation regardless of her place on the screen (the main use of Nadeshiko, except that is mainly reserved to the corner now), but it boosts her damage, speed and makes her incredibly scary for an actual period of time.

5. She has better footsie tools. She actually has plus buttons as pokes, and she has good, quick long-range pokes ala cr.HK and st.HK. Pokes as a whole are generally better.

6. She has better ways to circumvent the standard fireball game. the EX elbow and the EX command grab are great, while EX Peach is slow enough that it needs to be used as a harder read. Was talking to Luffy about this, and he agrees that it's not the go-to tool to counter a Guile Sonic Boom in mid-range, because it's just too risky.

7. She doesn't rely on the corner to do her stuff. Now more than ever, Mika needs to bring the opponent to the corner if she wants to get going.

I guess this is why everyone at locals tells me I should switch to Laura. I think Laura was deemed the "shitty version of Mika" in S1, but the tides have turned. Except, even in Season 1, I was saying that people were glossing over Laura because of the bright, shining beacon that was Mika.

Again, it'll be interesting to see how people feel moving forward.

There's no doubt S2 Laura is better than S2 Mika lol.

1. Laura's walkspeed and lack of mobility is the reason why they gave her 1000 health. V-Skilling forward has a counter hit property so no Laura is going to be using it in neutral where people mainly poke with CC buttons, or could get jumped in on. Just like how Ken players don't always run towards the enemy as a way to get in. I don't disagree though, having 1K health is important and allows her take more risks, but that's her gameplay, high risk/high reward. S1 Mika was playing Rock/Paper/Scissors with two hands a lot of the time because of how strong Lady Mika was and still is lol.

2. As I said before, they finally gave use to her overhead. It was arguably the worst in the game before being -7 on block and still being unsafe when done meaty/in a reset. It was buffed because it wasn't that strong. Now it's one more thing to look out for since it gives the players more incentive to use it, but it's still terrible on block and really easy to punish when you see it.

3. I agree with you here. I've always thought she had one of the most versatile fireballs in the game and probably my favourite projectile in the game. Shit is great but has weaknesses. I've played players where using it in neutral or a blockstring = instant L and I'm forced to pretend its no longer a tool. Yes it's something that you have to look out for while paying attention to tons of other things, but it isn't free like players assume it is. I know the weaknesses to her FB and FB game, but that's for yall to find out :rtsd:. Ex Fireball is really good, definitely. On hit and on block.

4. Her V-Trigger is overall better than Mika's because it lasts longer, but lets not pretend like Mika doesn't have actual unblockables with Nadeshiko lol. If Laura pops V-Trigger in neutral, what are you scared of exactly? If she's charging a fireball in jumping range, that's a free jump in. If she's V-Skilling all around, she's in a CC state at all times. The initial V-Trigger pop on block or hit is scary though yes, but it's just like Mika doing cr.HP -> Nadeshiko 50/50.

5. Yea her buttons are better now. With Mika's clap and cr.HP both getting nerfed for sure. Even in S1 I'd say Laura's buttons are better stability-wise but the clap was easily top 5 normals in S1.

6. Both uses use meter. The issue with the Guile MU in S1 is that her forward walkspeed was so poor that she made gained no space while walking forward and jumping against Guile = L. Ex Elbow did nothing against V-Skill booms. Ex command throw, while being good, doesn't have much range outside of VT, so you still need to gain that space before using it. MIka at least has her cr.HK to gain space/go through FB's without jumping, better forward walkspeed to gradually gain better room, charged st.HK which I understand is a hail mary at times, still goes through FB's and a dive body? to not overextend while jumping over fireballs so you don't get flash kick'd in the face. Ex Peach was never an anti fireball tool IMO.

7. Yea I agree. Mika needs the corner now more than ever to get going and Laura doesn't.

I think you gotta reflect a bit on the pain and anguish (myself included) that you've laid upon people with S1 Mika lmao. I don't think you realize how it felt to lose in the first 5 seconds of a match because a Mika player poked with her clap.

While they did Mika dirty, there is an issue with them not giving her anything worthwhile in return. She got an air target combo which.. I mean has it's uses but isn't substantial. Nash got the same treatment of all nerfs and nothing substantial to gain back what he had lost.

FluxWaveZ

You can't expect to pick your side character and assume that the other player doesn't know or hasn't grinded the MU with his main lol. LordJB on the mic said he's played that MU a lot with Yomi and he knows it well. 6-4 or 5-5, you shouldn't expect it to be an auto win because it might be a bad MU. I said this in a post before, but her ex command throw was mostly used as a hail mary before. Now it actually has a use. A very good one at that, but without it, yea the Guile MU would be a lot worse. Her ex elbow didn't do shit against V-Skill booms lol.

Haha, oh no, you misunderstand. It's exactly as I said: I was gonna lose with Mika in that set, so I just picked Guile because there was nothing else I could do there, especially mentally. I definitely wasn't expecting to win with that change there.

Ofc from your point of view S2 Laura > S1 Mika, because you were the one dealing the pain and not receiving it lmao. S1 Mika could instantly win off of a random button in neutral, we both agreed that you've won tons of matches just off of a random clap in neutral into the game snowballing downhill for the opponent in 50/50's over and over to death. The opponent finally gets their turn.. jokes V-Reversal back into 50/50's. Get command grabbed into more 50/50's.

Nah, this is wrong. Playing Mika in S1 didn't mean I didn't have to deal against Mikas in S1. And I actually preferred going against Mikas than against Lauras back then; they were easier to deal with.

There's no doubt S2 Laura is better than S2 Mika lol.

I think I confused myself while I was typing it. It's obvious when it comes to S2, but I might have been going into it talking about S1 Mika.

4. Her V-Trigger is overall better than Mika's because it lasts longer, but lets not pretend like Mika doesn't have actual unblockables with Nadeshiko lol. If Laura pops V-Trigger in neutral, what are you scared of exactly? If she's charging a fireball in jumping range, that's a free jump in. If she's V-Skilling all around, she's in a CC state at all times. The initial V-Trigger pop on block or hit is scary though yes, but it's just like Mika doing cr.HP -> Nadeshiko 50/50.

It's this. Cr.HP xx Nadeshiko is no longer the 50/50 it was because of the nerf to WA proximity blocking, which means she can no longer go for the cross-up option. So she has two real follow-up options: cr.LK in the hopes that the opponent stood up for some reason (or tried to backdash/jump) or do a command grab. It's a 50/50, I guess, but it lacks reward nowadays.

Nadeshiko is still a good V-Trigger, though.

6. Both uses use meter. The issue with the Guile MU in S1 is that her forward walkspeed was so poor that she made gained no space while walking forward and jumping against Guile = L. Ex Elbow did nothing against V-Skill booms. Ex command throw, while being good, doesn't have much range outside of VT, so you still need to gain that space before using it. MIka at least has her cr.HK to gain space/go through FB's without jumping, better forward walkspeed to gradually gain better room, charged st.HK which I understand is a hail mary at times, still goes through FB's and a dive body? to not overextend while jumping over fireballs so you don't get flash kick'd in the face. Ex Peach was never an anti fireball tool IMO.

Mika's walk speed isn't that significantly faster than Laura's and, honestly, I think all of those anti-FB maneuvers outlined here for Mika suck. Dive bomb isn't something to circumvent that outside of the longest range possible, and at that point there's no reason to not just walk and block unless you're scared of a grey damage situation.

cr.HK is alright, but needs to be timed properly, which can be tricky when they change FB speeds.

Charged HK is generally not viable, but it is something to keep in mind in close-range. The thing is that, you're mentioning Guile's V-Skill Booms: those beat Mika's charged drop kick.

I think you gotta reflect a bit on the pain and anguish (myself included) that you've laid upon people with S1 Mika lmao. I don't think you realize how it felt to lose in the first 5 seconds of a match because a Mika player poked with her clap.

Heh, you must have missed the multiple times in the past threads where I fully acknowledged that the clap was crazy. Of course I realized it, especially when I myself faced other Mikas.

The thing is that now, that option is gone, and I think it's fully comparable to the options Laura has upon a single touch in Season 2.

2. As I said before, they finally gave use to her overhead. It was arguably the worst in the game before being -7 on block and still being unsafe when done meaty/in a reset. It was buffed because it wasn't that strong. Now it's one more thing to look out for since it gives the players more incentive to use it, but it's still terrible on block and really easy to punish when you see it.

It still means that Laura is a mobile grappler with an overhead. It didn't need to be that strong, yet they made it anyways. Whatever drawbacks it has (and, btw, it hits on frame 2 in the typical resets, so that counter-acts the -7), you see Lauras using it frequently and to good success these days. The thing is that, in addition to that, she also is a grappler with good lows that convert. So you can't just be blocking high all the time, and you can't be blocking low. There's a reason that grapplers don't have good lows, and there's a reason that they also don't have good overheads.

Laura has both, and that is a very real problem.

Dartastic

I randomly picked Guile vs. Yomi's Laura in yesterday's local because my Mika wasn't going anywhere, and I was informed after my match that the MU is apparently 5/5 or even in Laura's advantage now, mainly because of her EX command grab which alters the entire dynamic of the match. I can see that, and it's pretty nuts.

I was checking the Shoryuken Laura forums yesterday and it's pretty funny how many excuses Laura mains are making as to why she's not top tier, or why people shouldn't complain about facing her. Visions of Mika S1 mains, but I personally think S2 Laura is stronger than S1 Mika ever was.

Alex did the command grab too early, Ryu woke up with a wake up V-Skill, Ryu recovered first, punished.
I tried playing Laura in S2 for a bit and she's just not clicking with me. I want to like her and get good with her, I just... can't for some reason. I've been having far more fun with Ibuki, even though I don't necessarily know what i'm doing. Maybe I just need to learn more about how Laura plays and her mixups/meaty setups and stuff? I genuinely don't know.

Also, although I got to 3000LP with S1 Mika, I really am struggling with S2 Mika. I don't think that she's bad per say, but the changes made really, really hurt the way I play. Ugh.

Anyway. Does anyone have some legit Ibuki S2 tips or setups I should be practicing? I need to up my game and get to gold.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do against Ken as Alex. Everything I try ends with me getting kicked across the screen or eating dragon punches.

Dahbomb

Everyone undermines their main. Everyone. Some S1 Chun players thought she wasn't the best character in the game, S1 Necalli players thought he wasn't in the top 10, S2 Guile players thinking he's not top 3 and S1 Mika players thinking she wasn't stupid and thought she was totally fair. So going on SRK and seeing more people undermine their character is a given
Guile's not top 3 man when they got Balrog, Cammy and Urien in the game too.

/Guile main not really

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
My win rates are pretty funny right now on V-League. My best match-ups are, in order: Cammy, Mika, Guile and my worst are Birdie, Dhalsim, Zangief, FANG with FANG being the worst by far. (I play Karin)

Fuck your tierlist, I guess.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do against Ken as Alex. Everything I try ends with me getting kicked across the screen or eating dragon punches.

its actually a 9-1 matchup against Ken Kappa

You have to block and bait with ken. His pressure is too good and your buttons aren't as good as his. Best to try and stop pressure with cr.LP > l. Flash Chop, v-reversal or spend the meter and ex elbow. f.HP is a good tool to fish for CCs.

My win rates are pretty funny right now on V-League. My best match-ups are, in order: Cammy, Mika, Guile and my worst are Birdie, Dhalsim, Zangief, FANG with FANG being the worst by far. (I play Karin)

Fuck your tierlist, I guess.

tier list aren't the same as matchup lists

mooncakes

I tried playing Laura in S2 for a bit and she's just not clicking with me. I want to like her and get good with her, I just... can't for some reason. I've been having far more fun with Ibuki, even though I don't necessarily know what i'm doing. Maybe I just need to learn more about how Laura plays and her mixups/meaty setups and stuff? I genuinely don't know.

Also, although I got to 3000LP with S1 Mika, I really am struggling with S2 Mika. I don't think that she's bad per say, but the changes made really, really hurt the way I play. Ugh.

Anyway. Does anyone have some legit Ibuki S2 tips or setups I should be practicing? I need to up my game and get to gold.

Here is some basic stuff that helped me from silver to super gold when I used Ibuki when she was released and got bored playing Mika:

So for anti air, use Crouching HP, Back MP, DPs and standing HK to anti air. Use forward HK in footsies to fish for random crush counters and to go over fireball. EX Raida also lets you travel through fireball. Treat her v-skill as a small poke. If used too often, you will eat a fat jump in. Dont use all of your kunais since you might need a hit confirm with it with a V-Trigger. EX- Kunai have different distance with different strength of punches. Example, LP+MP kunai is the closest one.

Ibuki mixups option after a LP Raida knockdown (the QCB+Punch move):

1. (new buff) If they quick rise: dash, Meaty cr. LK > standing LK xx Raida will combo now since her dash is like 1 frame faster.This will catch people not blocking low or jumping.

2, quick rise: dash, Med. Punch> standing MK frame trap if they are mashing after the standing MP.

3. quick rise: dash, grab. It should be meaty enough so you can grab right when they get up.

4. After a successful back-throw, Dash, cr. MP. The cr. MP to raida/ex kunai should hit if they don't block.

You should also check out Rommaler 40mins Ibuki guide if you got time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwzzblRTwv0

He also stream daily and he is currently an ultra diamond Ibuki. So you can probably watch some of his archives or livestream to get a beter understanding of the character.
https://www.twitch.tv/rommaler

its actually a 9-1 matchup against Ken Kappa

You have to block and bait with ken. His pressure is too good and your buttons aren't as good as his. Best to try and stop pressure with cr.LP > l. Flash Chop, v-reversal or spend the meter and ex elbow. f.HP is a good tool to fish for CCs.

Well at least it's not me sucking like I thought it was.

Nah, this is wrong. Playing Mika in S1 didn't mean I didn't have to deal against Mikas in S1. And I actually preferred going against Mikas than against Lauras back then; they were easier to deal with.

It's easier to go against the character you play because you know the weaknesses of the character better, tendencies and mixups.

It's this. Cr.HP xx Nadeshiko is no longer the 50/50 it was because of the nerf to WA proximity blocking, which means she can no longer go for the cross-up option. So she has two real follow-up options: cr.LK in the hopes that the opponent stood up for some reason (or tried to backdash/jump) or do a command grab. It's a 50/50, I guess, but it lacks reward nowadays.

Nadeshiko is still a good V-Trigger, though.
The proximity guard on an anti air grab didn't really make any sense in the first place and should've never been like that. But yea, overall it's easier to deal with than before.

Mika's walk speed isn't that significantly faster than Laura's and, honestly, I think all of those anti-FB maneuvers outlined here for Mika suck. Dive bomb isn't something to circumvent that outside of the longest range possible, and at that point there's no reason to not just walk and block unless you're scared of a grey damage situation. cr.HK is alright, but needs to be timed properly, which can be tricky when they change FB speeds.

Charged HK is generally not viable, but it is something to keep in mind in close-range. The thing is that, you're mentioning Guile's V-Skill Booms: those beat Mika's charged drop kick.

They aren't amazing anti-FB attacks, but at least they're meterless ways to get closer to Guile. I didn't know charged HK loses to Guile's V-Skill though lol

Heh, you must have missed the multiple times in the past threads where I fully acknowledged that the clap was crazy. Of course I realized it, especially when I myself faced other Mikas.

The thing is that now, that option is gone, and I think it's fully comparable to the options Laura has upon a single touch in Season 2.

Outside of Laura with V-Trigger, what button is comparable to Mika's clap in S1? None of Laura's buttons/confirms lead into a possible instant unless she has full V Bar. I don't think she has a button as good as Lady Mika either lol.

It still means that Laura is a mobile grappler with an overhead. It didn't need to be that strong, yet they made it anyways. Whatever drawbacks it has (and, btw, it hits on frame 2 in the typical resets, so that counter-acts the -7), you see Lauras using it frequently and to good success these days. The thing is that, in addition to that, she also is a grappler with good lows that convert. So you can't just be blocking high all the time, and you can't be blocking low. There's a reason that grapplers don't have good lows, and there's a reason that they also don't have good overheads.

Laura has both, and that is a very real problem.

We still don't see eye to eye on her being a mobile grappler. Her walkspeed is below average, her forward dash speed is below average and no Laura player just V-Skills in neutral to make space because of how often people poke with CC buttons and all buttons in general in neutral. Just like how Ken players don't just run in neutral.

Her overhead is -7 regular and I believe -4 when done off of a reset or meaty. Both are punishable but are actually rewarding now. Before the risk/reward wasn't in her favour to use them ever unless your Wolfkrone lol.

They gave her an actual low option because she didn't have one before. These are weaknesses she had in S1 that were buffed up. I know they're definitely overwhelming but this was them addressing issues she had in S1.

For S2 I really just wanted her to have a better neutral game and better AA options. Both didn't happen and her neutral game was overall nerfed and they just gave her more fuckery tbh. I don't know any Laura players that asked for +1 Elbow in V-Trigger after command throw, nobody asked for that, that's truly some S1 Mika shit lmao..but I'll take it
kttcolilolbron

Dartastic

Here is some basic stuff that helped me from silver to super gold when I used Ibuki when she was released and got bored playing Mika:

So for anti air, use Crouching HP, Back MP, DPs and standing HK to anti air. Use forward HK in footsies to fish for random crush counters and to go over fireball. EX Raida also lets you travel through fireball. Treat her v-skill as a small poke. If used too often, you will eat a fat jump in. Dont use all of your kunais since you might need a hit confirm with it with a V-Trigger. EX- Kunai have different distance with different strength of punches. Example, LP+MP kunai is the closest one.

Ibuki mixups option after a LP Raida knockdown (the QCB+Punch move):

1. (new buff) If they quick rise: dash, Meaty cr. LK > standing LK xx Raida will combo now since her dash is like 1 frame faster.This will catch people not blocking low or jumping.

2, quick rise: dash, Med. Punch> standing MK frame trap if they are mashing after the standing MP.

3. quick rise: dash, grab. It should be meaty enough so you can grab right when they get up.

4. After a successful back-throw, Dash, cr. MP. The cr. MP to raida/ex kunai should hit if they don't block.

You should also check out Rommaler 40mins Ibuki guide if you got time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwzzblRTwv0

He also stream daily and he is currently an ultra diamond Ibuki. So you can probably watch some of his archives or livestream to get a beter understanding of the character.
https://www.twitch.tv/rommaler
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it! I already know some of the kunai stuff, but I think I need to work more on her setups. What if they don't quick rise? I'm also down to play a few games if you want to give me some advice later. CFN is Dartastic.

FluxWaveZ

It's easier to go against the character you play because you know the weaknesses of the character better, tendencies and mixups.

I'll agree with that, but it does also mean I'm very familiar with what it means to go against Mika. Or was. Now there's barely any Mikas left.

Outside of Laura with V-Trigger, what button is comparable to Mika's clap in S1? None of Laura's buttons/confirms lead into a possible instant unless she has full V Bar. I don't think she has a button as good as Lady Mika either lol.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking about any button once she has V-Trigger on deck. But I do think the combination of cr.MP, st.MP, st.HK, cr.HK and maybe even st.HP given Laura's other tools kinda makes up for that, if we compare the two. Mika's buttons are all pretty subpar, so then she had two that were among the best in the game with f.MP and cr.HP. Now she doesn't have any that are that great.

And I honestly think Lady Mika is overrated. You blocked it on wake-up, and she's +3. What then? She can either go for a command grab that launches the opponent across the screen, or she can go for a st.MP. How does this differ from a mix-up/frame trap from any other +2 (or more) move in the game?

We can say Laura doesn't have a move as good as Alex's lariat, either, but that doesn't really inform anything at all about the strength of their overall toolset. Lady Mika doesn't have great range, and it can barely be used as a viable anti-air, too. I'd say it's not even one of the best buttons in the game.

They gave her an actual low option because she didn't have one before. These are weaknesses she had in S1 that were buffed up. I know they're definitely overwhelming but this was them addressing issues she had in S1.

I meant that, even in S1, she had dangerous lows, and she's a grappler. Isn't she the only grappler in the game who has a special cancelable cr.MK? And that leads to a 50/50 situation. Generally, you're not afraid to hold back against one because their lows won't kill you. But it's a different story against Laura and, on top of that, you can also get punished if you hold low for too long due to her OH. This is 100% crazy for a grappler to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom