• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended the day by trying a VS cpu set to highest difficulty 8 and damn did I got my my ass handed really bad. I intend to play through Most of the single player content Before I purchase ps plus and go online. If I Will be able to beat highest cpu difficulty Most of the Times, what rank would that roughly correspond to online, silver-gold?

Today I Will be doing trials. Can someone please explain one thing. I tried trials yesterday with cammy and couldent figure out the last input for trial one. Think the move called spirial kick/dive and I was supposed to move the stick down and to right, not diagonal but rather like a quarter circle. Also the kick/punch sympol was White but all my symbols for light/medium/strong are coloured inputs. I have no idea what to actually press or how to move the stick. I have done the move outside of trials but by button smashing...

As far as chatacter goes, I find Cammy, Juri and Ken Most enjoyable.

It corresponds to literally nothing online, CPU cheats and beating a level 8 cpu means exploiting their behaviour, it isn't really hard to do.
It might also not be a good thing in general to make that your goal because fighting the cpu like that will just make you develop bad habits; things that only really work against cpu.

It's a good way to practice your confirms and bnbs under pressure though.

The dual symbols in white means any 2 buttons/strength, or the ex version of the move.
The input means 236 +kk, 236 is what you would see if you look at your keyboard's numpad, and that basically means moving your input from down (2), downforward(3), forward(6), that's what a quarter circle forward or qcf move is.

Vice

Can a super/ultra bronze hoverer get some tips? I main Karin and I've been stuck in this rank loop since launch. I struggle alot when I get pressured constantly and don't know how to get out.

My CFN is jchung, any tips would be appreciated, thanks gaf

Keep it simple. If there is an element of your game your feel isn't working out find the simplest way to improve it. Let's use anti-airs as an example, if you have trouble using heavy punch to anti air try using v-skill to dash under your opponents jumps instead. It may not be the most optimal solution but it's better to have something you know will work 99.9% of the time that getting blown up and frustrated over something you aren't able to do consistently.
This isn't to say you shouldn't work on improving your deficit areas, but for grinding ranks consistency matter more than most anything especially at lower levels.

For pressure, it depends on the character. For non-grapplers you can usually v-reversal pretty well. If you find your opponent uses the same blockstrings over and over, say a Laura using the medium punch to crouching medium punch blockstring, then use Karin's ex DP once they use the first part. It's a guess but if they've gone for the same thing every time it's a gamble in your favor.

Can't get left behind if you leave it behind first

giphy.gif

SpawnofOdd spreading knowledge, never knew this, the d.HP AKA shoulder tackle, can change the hitbox by the direction you press, corner forward pushes the hit box out further, cornerback, backwards...

SpawnofOdd spreading knowledge, never knew this, the d.HP AKA shoulder tackle, can change the hitbox by the direction you press, corner forward pushes the hit box out further, cornerback, backwards...

Yeah I knew about that too. There was never much reason for it to be a factor in S1 but now that the button is better, it can come in handy.

Some thoughts from a newcomers first day:

Having a blast, been doing some character story mode and survival mode and gained about 200 000 FM first day. Starting to get a feeling of the game, although I mostly button smashing my way to victory. Been winning like 95% of the matches.

Ended the day by trying a VS cpu set to highest difficulty 8 and damn did I got my my ass handed really bad. I intend to play through Most of the single player content Before I purchase ps plus and go online. If I Will be able to beat highest cpu difficulty Most of the Times, what rank would that roughly correspond to online, silver-gold?

Today I Will be doing trials. Can someone please explain one thing. I tried trials yesterday with cammy and couldent figure out the last input for trial one. Think the move called spirial kick/dive and I was supposed to move the stick down and to right, not diagonal but rather like a quarter circle. Also the kick/punch sympol was White but all my symbols for light/medium/strong are coloured inputs. I have no idea what to actually press or how to move the stick. I have done the move outside of trials but by button smashing...

As far as chatacter goes, I find Cammy, Juri and Ken Most enjoyable.

I dont understand why they did not make survival mode more random, its exactly the same levels every time certianly gets more repetitive due to this. Still I find the mode fun but yeah lost on round 28-29 in normal mode..

The game looks and plays fantastic :)

This is a bad line of thinking regarding fighting cpu then going online. It will teach you the wrong way to play the game.

As for silver / gold dont set your goal so high unless you are already pretty good at fighting games. Literally 82% of the userbase are in ultra bronze and below. Stagger your goal. Aim simply to get to super bronze first. How long that takes you and how you perform there maybe up your goal then.

Although i wouldn't worry about rank in that way. You are better off playing people then watching your replays to see what you are doing right and wrong and learning from it. If you can just kinda ignore what rank you are and try enjoy the game. You will rank up as you get better.

It weirded me out when I found out they did something similar with his EX stomp and stun gun.

weird character

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've ever seen an Akuma drop a combo. They just sit there and buffer. Kinda weird how easy everything is in this game.

Sayad

There are still some decent execution stuff, not with all characters though. Even toward the end of S1 some top players were still doing random j.mk with Chun. :)

Neoxon

Ucchedavāda;228817528 said:
Not just that, it won decisively. SFV got almost 6 times as many points as the #2, namely 259 points vs Revelator 's 44 points. I guess the "I want to hate SFV" meme really is true.
That's what surprised me. Though I suppose most recognized the solid gameplay.

Sayad

Did anyone really expect any other FG game to win in a popularity contest? Game sold > 1.4 million, only other game that stood a chance was Pokken and that was kinda ass!

Would be surprised if Xrd Rev or KoF made it past 0.2 million.

myco666

I really would like to support KOF but man do I hate how the game looks visually. Played the demo a bunch but I just couldn't get over the presentation.

Mother Russia Bleeds is number 9? dafuq?

Also, KoF XIV got robbed.

It robbed itself as it had two spots at top 10 FGs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is going on with the servers? I don't think it's ever been this bad. How are we a year into the release of this game and it's getting worse and worse?

Not surprising. Nobody even knows about most of the other fgs

You'd think people would vote other games out of spite for SFV, though.

But honestly, other games should have gotten closer, even if SFV is my current favorite. And I still think parts of the community have become (or rather, stayed) insular and won't branch out. That goes both ways, from and to SFV.

Lulllll I played Birdie a few weeks ago and panicked, getting some good shit off the second one.

But burning meter like that is sooooo dumb.

Just bought this on the EU psn sale, Any tips for a sf near newbie. My main fighter for years have been smash and naruto storm lol

Last i played sf properly is alpha on ps1 lol remember how to do hadokens though lol

Though I guess practice makes perfect lol

Just bought this on the EU psn sale, Any tips for a sf near newbie. My main fighter for years have been smash and naruto storm lol

Last i played sf properly is alpha on ps1 lol remember how to do hadokens though lol

Find a character you like playing and enjoy them! Really, it depends on how far you wanna go with playing. I'd suggest keeping things on Casual if you go online, as most people go there to practice and you won't have the stress of Ranked bearing down on you. Learn what comes out when you press a button, practice both sides (so, do a hadoken when your character faces right AND left), figure out your style of play and how it reflects off the character, and use the guide in the OT to get that FM dosh.

Mr. X

Learn how far you normal attacks go
Block is your best option 9 times out of 10

seems like it'd be safer to use his other options which don't get stuffed by a normal jumpin/air fireball

I went to training and briefly tried most of his AA and HK,SS was the only one that even reached high enough to hit.

It seemed good enough if you can do it fast enough but I thought I'd poke a quick question out to see if there was a better option.

Maybe a jump or his air throw? I'll try those out and see.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man Balrog really is stupid. Not sure whose idea it was to give him unreactable, unpunishable, very hard to neutral jump specials that can also go low, high and on some he's actually + afterwards. Oh and his normals are pretty great, too. This is just a lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom