• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

Anyone playing? CFN EdziPC

EDIT: Watching this G4 tourny, and so many pros are throwing out random EX chariot tackles lol. So dumb.

Edzi

So I just took a look at some frame data, and no wonder Alex always loses in neutral. Most of his medium buttons are as slow if not slower than a lot of characters heavy (and usually CC) buttons. lol.

FluxWaveZ

Have you guys looked at your Fighter Profile's "Defense Data"? I just went over them now, and it has some pretty interesting information. You can check your defense statistics for specific match-ups. I'm not sure how helpful this necessarily is, but it's there.

My Overall Guard Rate, using Mika, is the lowest against Zangief at 25.78%. My highest is vs. Ryu, at 48.68%. I imagine that a large part of this is about how much a match-up requires you to block vs. be on the offensive.

Have you guys looked at your Fighter Profile's "Defense Data"? I just went over them now, and it has some pretty interesting information. You can check your defense statistics for specific match-ups. I'm not sure how helpful this necessarily is, but it's there.

My Overall Guard Rate, using Mika, is the lowest against Zangief at 25.78%. My highest is vs. Ryu, at 48.68%. I imagine that a large part of this is about how much a match-up requires you to block vs. be on the offensive.

Gief doesn't have a fireball, that's probably it.

Man Bison is trash this dude is just spamming dumb shit and getting away with it

Please don't nerf him Capcom you've taken too many lives already.

FluxWaveZ

Gief doesn't have a fireball, that's probably it.

For the Mika vs. Gief MU, a lot of it would be because of his incessant cr.LP whenever she wants to get in. She's constantly getting hit by stuff when she tries to get in, only really getting started when she gets the much sought after KD. Well, that's a lot of MUs with her, but Gief stands out.

One of my other high block rates is FANG, because when he's close the pressure is relentless, and when he's far I'm blocking poison balls.

Edzi

This Bison player is just jumping like crazy, and it's working.

EDIT: Glad fchamp took that set. Man, this was the worst SFV tournament I've ever seen. Bad audio, bad commentary, and the pros were all playing super YOLO and dropping combos left and right. Also, lol @ Urien's EX Tackle. Didn't expect it to be used outside of online so much.

Nah, Champ started stuffing him. I think he was doing it to get in since Champ kept his ass out. It more or less was working better partly because he'd mix it up with a stomp and catch Champ whiffing, but it wasn't enough.

I really don't know how Bison fights Sim without jumping. Hm.

Edit: Yeah, this was a weird tournament. It was a side game so I didn't expect much, and the Bison player was actually good, as were a few players, but it seemed like a bunch of people were there to test things out. When's the first big tournament - Cannes? I'm ready to see some ridiculous shit.

Sayad

EDIT: Glad fchamp took that set. Man, this was the worst SFV tournament I've ever seen. Bad audio, bad commentary, and the pros were all playing super YOLO and dropping combos left and right. Also, lol @ Urien's EX Tackle. Didn't expect it to be used outside of online so much.

It's unreactable and safe on block, why would anyone not use it?! ;p

Kashiwaba

Made it to ultra gold. I swear this game is trying to keep me from platinum. Getting on that zombeghoast stuff. Just tons of terrible rollback and it's matching me up exclusively against gold players, so when I lose, it's like 80-100 points and when I win, it's only 55.

Casual is matchmaking me against mostly plat players right now, so that's awesome.

Akuma is my highest level character even though I've been playing GUile and Cammy since they came out, hahaha.
Exactly my issues with super gold i win i get 55 but i lose i lose 80 points :(

Edzi

Anyone playing now? CFN EdziPC

EDIT: This thread has been deader than usual lately when it comes to games during WC evenings. :(

EDIT: This thread has been deader than usual lately when it comes to games during WC evenings. :(

If I'd seen this earlier I would've taken you up but unfortunately I just finished a session of Killer Instinct and I'm about to turn in for the night.

KI's usually what I play whenever I get stuck in a rut in SFV. Despite being in Gold league most of the opponents I'm matched up with are surprisingly bad at fighting Tusk so I'm able to get some very cathartic plays relatively easily.

Skilletor

Dang, I was playing, but didn't bother checking the thread..

Are we friends on steam? You could just invite me if you see me playing.

Zackat

If this thread is dead you should see the OTs for some of the other MP games I play. They would be buried in the ground for a century dead :p

This thread is hardly dead, in fact I would've liked if we reached OT7 after the next character reveal, but you guys just had to ruin my plans.

Hyun Sai

Hmm, what is this sorcery, a Bison crushed Urien and Cammy to make it to Grand Final ? Dhalsim won ? Where are the Lauras ? What is the world coming to ?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure I played F-Word's Ibuki yesterday. He's way under-ranked and took like 150 points from me lol

After two Days impressions:

About 400 000 FM in, done story mode, character story modes and all easy survivals.

Done a few normal survival and yeah I understand why people find this mode frustrating. Everything goes well theb in round 29-30 I get eaten alive..

I find the game much much harder to get Into compared to the other fighting games I have played (PS2 era Virtua fighter, Tekken, Soul calibur, DOA and ps3 era naruto games.

Does this game revard defence? I feel like I just get punished If I stop hitting..whoever hits the Most wins...yeah obviously I know this is wrong, but from about these 12 hours gametime I feel like I still dont get the mechanics. I truly Hope the game Will click with me soon.

I just have no idea "when its my turn" as some describe this game as a chess match. I absolutely loved the mechanics in Naruto ultra ninja storm series where you really had to look for an opening and try to trick your openent, could go on for so long. Guess it takes ages to get a feeling of this in SFV

Does this game revard defence? I feel like I just get punished If I stop hitting..whoever hits the Most wins...yeah obviously I know this is wrong, but from about these 12 hours gametime I feel like I still dont get the mechanics. I truly Hope the game Will click with me soon.

I just have no idea "when its my turn" as some describe this game as a chess match. I absolutely loved the mechanics in Naruto ultra ninja storm series where you really had to look for an opening and try to trick your openent, could go on for so long. Guess it takes ages to get a feeling of this in SFV
Your feeling isn't inaccurate. This game most definitely punishes you for thinking that you can play defensive and often rewards the most oppressive or most calculated offense.

Somebody made a comparison of leaving a match and a) returning to training mode, and b) returning to survival. The difference between these two is that you get the VS screen when loading training mode, but not when loading survival. Based on this video, the addition of the VS screen appears to increase the loading time by roughly 50%, going from roughly 30 seconds to roughly 45 seconds:

https://twitter.com/galtu444444/status/822724488588468224

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ucchedavāda;228861900 said:
Somebody made a comparison of leaving a match and a) returning to training mode, and b) returning to survival. The difference between these two is that you get the VS screen when loading training mode, but not when loading survival. Based on this video, the addition of the VS screen appears to increase the loading time by roughly 50%, going from roughly 30 seconds to roughly 45 seconds:

https://twitter.com/galtu44444 4/status/822724488588468224
Yeah and I think the difference is even bigger with an SSD, because the character screen takes the same amount of time no matter what, while the right side would load faster. It's one of the most baffling design decisions to do it like that and it's been mentioned since release, too.

The tinfoil hat theory I read in this thread was that Capcom might want to take some stress away from the server, but I don't really believe it.

LakeEarth

I just go back to the main menu, most boring and still takes 10 seconds but it's the fastest way to get back to searching for a match.

Yeah and I think the difference is even bigger with an SSD, because the character screen takes the same amount of time no matter what, while the right side would load faster. It's one of the most baffling design decisions to do it like that and it's been mentioned since release, too.

The tinfoil hat theory I read in this thread was that Capcom might want to take some stress away from the server, but I don't really believe it.

'Baffling design decision' is an apt description for a lot of stuff in SFV.

The tinfoil hat theory doesn't even make much sense, though, since the majority of matches are played using direct connections between players, and do not use a server as an intermediary (though that seems to be supported, for players behind restrictive firewalls).

I just go back to the main menu, most boring and still takes 10 seconds but it's the fastest way to get back to searching for a match.

Yeah, I do the same.
Plus, I play using borderless fullscreen, so I can just alt+tab out between matches, without affecting the game. The only problem is that I sometimes forget to select the 'Return to Main Menu' option, and end up spending a few minutes waiting before I notice. But I can't really blame Capcom for that one.

After two Days impressions:

About 400 000 FM in, done story mode, character story modes and all easy survivals.

Done a few normal survival and yeah I understand why people find this mode frustrating. Everything goes well theb in round 29-30 I get eaten alive..

I find the game much much harder to get Into compared to the other fighting games I have played (PS2 era Virtua fighter, Tekken, Soul calibur, DOA and ps3 era naruto games.

The key for normal survival is to figure out which buttons and specials (and critical arts) your character has that can punish his blocked scissor kicks. I don't press any buttons until he tries do that special. For everyone except Necalli and Gief (who you should only sweep, especially in the late 20s) you can just spam sweeps or lunging/projectile attacks since the CPU doesn't react 75% of the time.

Also, yeah, the game kinda rewards ceaseless offense unless the other character is a top tier character with insane damage, a crazy v-trigger or really damn good buttons. Anti airs combo aren't where they need to be for most of the cast yet, many v-reversals got nerfed and I think less than half the cast has invincible metered reversals they can fall back on.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

1) Holy shit get rid of the loading screen for Training you assholes!
2) I can't believe anyone can tolerate this on PS4.

Was that PS4 load time longer than average somehow? I don't remember it being that insane, but I haven't played on PS4 since the betas.

Kenny Omega on the mic in the UK for Bunkr Brawl tourney:
https://www.twitch.tv/unequalledmedia

It rewards knowledgable defense.

When someone uses a move that's negative on block, you have to TAKE your turn back.
The problem is that people often let their opponent continue offense, even though it's not their turn. Non-VT Cammy dive kicks that don't hit below the knee should be challenged EVERY TIME on block. Yet, they aren't.

Also, people don't back dack enough, IMO. Backdash os airborne on frame 3. Jump is airborne on frame 5 (frame 4 if it's a forward jump). That means, backdash can get you out of grounded frames faster than juumping...and, that's useful in some sitatuions.

And, people sit on V-guage, waiting for their V-trigger cancel...but then they die before they can land it. USE YOUR V-REVERSAL PEOPLE. Especially when you're getting pressured in the corner, with 10% life left.

Defense in SF5 is underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom